PDA

View Full Version : Freo or Dee`s

PerthSwannie
10th September 2006, 10:07 PM
Who do want to play in the prelim, Freo or Dee`s? Just heard on the news that Freo have NEVER played at Telstra Stadium! Could be handy!!

swantastic
10th September 2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by PerthSwannie
Who do want to play in the prelim, Freo or Dee`s? Just heard on the news that Freo have NEVER played at Telstra Stadium! Could be handy!! Freo by a mile.:)

dawson
10th September 2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by PerthSwannie
Who do want to play in the prelim, Freo or Dee`s? Just heard on the news that Freo have NEVER played at Telstra Stadium! Could be handy!!

Don't care. Whoever we play, we have to be 100% switched on for, or we will lose.

adnar
10th September 2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by dawson
Don't care.

:cool:

Schneiderman
10th September 2006, 11:07 PM
Freo for mine.

573v30
10th September 2006, 11:22 PM
Freo. Like West Coast, they'll get confused and probably go the wrong way... :D

barry
10th September 2006, 11:23 PM
Either is fine with me.

Freo - Probably happy just to make the prelim. Never played TS, inexperienced in finals. Travelling across the country.

Melb - Backing up from Perth trip (you can see how much it took out of us last year v geelong). On the road 2 weeks in a row. Will need to record 3 finals wins in a row to beat us.

SimonH
11th September 2006, 12:27 AM
Agree with barry. Both pose completely different problems, and have different strengths and weaknesses. Both would have to make history in their way. Even making a PF would be history-making for Freo, let alone making the GF (not to mention being the first team since Carlton 1999 to make the GF after having missed the last 2 finals series), and Melbourne would be the first team in the modern structure of the finals to make the GF from outside the top 4.

For any argument there's a counter-argument. For example, Freo have never played Homebush, but in 2006 have for the first time had a string of consistent wins on the road (some very tough road trips like Collingwood and Adelaide) for the first time, rather than just causing a shock one week and losing to a mediocre team in Melbourne the next. Melbourne won in Sydney in 2006 and have a smaller distance to travel, but brought relatively mediocre form into the finals. Etcetera.

So they all more or less cancel each other out in my book, and we just need to concentrate on our own game. The one thing we know for sure: if we don't come out and play with the intensity we showed last night, we're likely to lose.

graystar
11th September 2006, 12:50 AM
I don't care. So long as their semi is hard contest with extra time!!!

anniswan
11th September 2006, 12:51 AM
I'll take Freo as my best friend is a Demons supporter.

Goal Sneak
11th September 2006, 01:38 AM
I think Freo would suit us better. I'm not sure which Freo player usually plays on Hall, but he can't be any better than Carroll, who IMO, is one of the best defenders going around. Freo has Pavlich as a key forward, but the D's have Neitz who is just as good.
Also Melbourne can tackle!.

punter257
11th September 2006, 01:55 AM
not fussed either way

travelling to the west will hurt the dees and freo have never even been to telstra stadium

ScottH
11th September 2006, 07:29 AM
Who cares, as long as we win without our hearts in our mouths for the last quarter!!!

Pommie Swannie
11th September 2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
Who cares, as long as we win without our hearts in our mouths for the last quarter!!!

I'll second that!! Would be nice to be comfortably in the lead by 3-quarter time!

timthefish
11th September 2006, 09:37 AM
freo would have to get about a quarter or a third of the supporters that melbourne would to sydney.

garethb83
11th September 2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Pommie Swannie
I'll second that!! Would be nice to be comfortably in the lead by 3-quarter time!

Haha thats unlikely to happen, but we can all hope. I wouldn't mind it being like last year. Tight until 3/4 time and then we blow them apart in the last in front of 80,000 swans faithful and then we can crack it into party mode for the last 10 mins!

I'm on countdown mode... bring on the weekend after next!

Layby
11th September 2006, 10:05 AM
Freo by a country mile !

hammo
11th September 2006, 01:22 PM
Freo resorted to bad habits on the weekend and would be less dangerous than Melbourne in my view.

However I am sure the mantra will be that Sydney will concentrate on their own game. If we are switched on, neither team should get too close to us.

Danzar
11th September 2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
For any argument there's a counter-argument. For example, Freo have never played Homebush, but in 2006 have for the first time had a string of consistent wins on the road (some very tough road trips like Collingwood and Adelaide) for the first time, rather than just causing a shock one week and losing to a mediocre team in Melbourne the next. Melbourne won in Sydney in 2006 and have a smaller distance to travel, but brought relatively mediocre form into the finals. Etcetera.
Take into account that Freo's away record, while good, have been decided on much slimmer margins than their home games. They played six out of nine at home as well, so their away record is a bit of an illusion.

I have more concerns with Sydney's ability to match up on both Pickett and Davey, both of whom were absent in our game at the G a month ago.

I'm more concerned about the Dees so will go with Freo on this one.

dendol
11th September 2006, 01:52 PM
I heard the pre-lim will be a friday night game. Can anyone confirm or deny this? THanks

garethb83
11th September 2006, 01:55 PM
Its confirmed indeed.

Friday 22nd September at 8pm, Telstra Stadium.

Captain
11th September 2006, 02:24 PM
Freo by a mile.

Think we would have trouble against Neitz, Davey etc

punter257
11th September 2006, 03:46 PM
actually i'll definitely say freo now because it will mean we'll get the game live over here :D

swans05
11th September 2006, 04:07 PM
doesnt matter who we play we beat both teams last time out

dread and might
11th September 2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Goal Sneak
I think Freo would suit us better. I'm not sure which Freo player usually plays on Hall, but he can't be any better than Carroll, who IMO, is one of the best defenders going around. Freo has Pavlich as a key forward, but the D's have Neitz who is just as good.
Also Melbourne can tackle!.

My preference is freo also.
FWIW Carroll didn't play on Hall at least the last two times we have met the dees. Holland had him last time and Brad Miller the time before. Carroll played on MOL.

Agree with the fact that melbourne is the better tackling side, but disagree with Neitz being as good as Pavlich,

Xie Shan
11th September 2006, 06:15 PM
I have a feeling the Dees will get up at Subiaco. The pressure on Freo will be immense, having lost their first two finals ever, and playing at home.

I am fairly confident of beating Melbourne in a prelim, it will be tough, but remember that all of their recent wins in Sydney have come early in the season, in years where we started off slowly.

Goal Sneak
11th September 2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by dread and might
Agree with the fact that melbourne is the better tackling side, but disagree with Neitz being as good as Pavlich,
Yeah , your'e right, I really just meant that both teams have a big key forward who can be pretty dangerous if playing well, & Big Pav doesn't even need to be playing all that well to be dangerous!

Carolyn
11th September 2006, 10:25 PM
I don't really care but if I had to choose, I'll probably go Freo.

The Undertaker
11th September 2006, 10:46 PM
I'd love to play Freo.