PDA

View Full Version : Next AA Swan

Young Blood
11th September 2006, 11:52 PM
We now have seven past or present AA players: Hall, CBolton, O'Keefe, Goodes, Kirk, Barry, O'Loughlin.

Who'll be the next Swan to win selection? I reckon there are three chances:
Tadhg - clearly good enough, widely acknowledged as one of our most important players, just needs to put together a consistent injury-free season
Jolly - has risen towards the top echelon of ruckmen in the comp of the second half of the season
LRT - already very good, with lots of scope for futher improvement. There aren't many other young key backmen icoming through the ranks

Thoughts?

Zlatorog
11th September 2006, 11:56 PM
Wait and see...

liz
12th September 2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Young Blood
We now have seven past or present AA players: Hall, CBolton, O'Keefe, Goodes, Kirk, Barry, O'Loughlin.

Who'll be the next Swan to win selection? I reckon there are three chances:
Tadhg - clearly good enough, widely acknowledged as one of our most important players, just needs to put together a consistent injury-free season
Jolly - has risen towards the top echelon of ruckmen in the comp of the second half of the season
LRT - already very good, with lots of scope for futher improvement. There aren't many other young key backmen icoming through the ranks

Thoughts?

I think there are a few who have a chance at some point in their career.

Thought I'd be shot down if I suggested LRT wasn't beyond the realms of possibility, so it is interesting to see you nominate him.

If Jude Bolton could play a whole season like the first half of the past two, he'd get in.

Malceski most definitely has the potential. Maybe McVeigh does too.

Buchanan has the talent, though he'd have to make it as an onballer and that's probably the hardest spot to win a place because there are so many excellent midfielders running around.

Mind you, early in their careers, no-one would have picked Kirk, B2, Leapin' Leo or Ryan O'Keefe as likely AA selections somewhere down the line. So the future successes could come from anywhere.

katie-scarlett
12th September 2006, 12:33 AM
LR (was jus saying tonight.. give hima year or 2.)
& Monty.

Tadhg eventually when he settles down a bit now.

adnar
12th September 2006, 12:38 AM
Can Tadhg make AA? :confused:

australian_made
12th September 2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by adnar
Can Tadhg make AA? :confused: Interesting point. Can Australia and Ireland both name him in their International Rules sides?

adnar
12th September 2006, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by australian_made
Interesting point. Can Australia and Ireland both name him in their International Rules sides?

AA != International Rules side though.

I remember Stynes being AA but he played for Australia if I remember correctly.

SimonH
12th September 2006, 01:08 AM
We're starting to push the bounds of credulity, even for a casual observer, to maintain the 'no superstars' illusion once it gets out that we have 7 AAs in the team (plus an 8th-- Monty-- who's played for his country).

And you wanna add more? What am I, tuna fish? You're killing me here.

adnar
12th September 2006, 01:12 AM
Crouch and Davis played for Australia too:eek:

SimonH
12th September 2006, 01:16 AM
Oh, s***. Now we're in double figures. Could our cover be more thoroughly blown?

liz
12th September 2006, 01:23 AM
Crouch and Davis played for Australia too:eek:

Jude Bolton too. And Kennelly's participation can't be ignored.

Young Blood
12th September 2006, 10:41 AM
Easy folks. Dale Morris has played IR too. Handy player, but a looong way from AA. So let's not put much stock in selection in the IR team.

Damien
12th September 2006, 10:46 AM
AA != International Rules side though.

I remember Stynes being AA but he played for Australia if I remember correctly.

International Rules side is selected seperate to the AA side now.

liz
12th September 2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Young Blood
Easy folks. Dale Morris has played IR too. Handy player, but a looong way from AA. So let's not put much stock in selection in the IR team.

Dale Morris is actually one of a group of 20 or so players who can be considered to be slightly unlucky to miss out on AA selection this year. He has had a superb season and if continues the way he has been, he'll be AA within a couple of years.

Mike_B
12th September 2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by liz
Dale Morris is actually one of a group of 20 or so players who can be considered to be slightly unlucky to miss out on AA selection this year. He has had a superb season and if continues the way he has been, he'll be AA within a couple of years.

I would have had Dale Morris in my AA team in the back pocket, Gilbee on the flank, C Bolt at CHB and left Bowden out. The fact is he can play small or tall and does it very well and provides run out of defence (although which Bulldog defender doesn't?).

Young Blood
12th September 2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by liz
I wouldn't rate him quite that highly - but my initial point wasn't as clear as it should have been - he wasn't close to AA in the year he was picked in the IR team.

satchmopugdog
12th September 2006, 01:22 PM
To me Dale Morris is a Craig Bolton clone. He is neat in his movements, his timing and decision making are impeccable, he can play tall or short,similar build and colourings,quiet and reliable.

A busy milkman?????

He is the rock of the Bulldogs defence just as B2 is for us.

Ajn
12th September 2006, 02:17 PM
Ted Richards the next AA (2-3 years), and might I add Everitt onto the tally for next year

royboy42
12th September 2006, 03:23 PM
Malceski is becoming more and more impressive every week..his game v west coast on saturday was extremely mature for such a young player.
His run from defence then the long accurate kick to a man remind me of someone in my past...do u think i can remember who?? It's driving me crazy!
Maybe his kicking style is the key..anyway, anyone who can help me out, feel free! Please.
Come to think of it, there was a bloke called Don Furness who played in the middle for the Roys in the 50s..he kicked like eski..both sides too, unusual for those times! But i doubt too many here would remember him..maybe Old Royboy?

Layby
12th September 2006, 03:39 PM
Bernie Quinlan ?

adnar
12th September 2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Damien
International Rules side is selected seperate to the AA side now.

That's exactly what I said.

swanhead2005
12th September 2006, 04:00 PM
The Schneiderman! Actually just hope he has a couple of blistering games so I can hear the commentators use some cheesy "The amazing...", "Web of...", "You can't catch the..." etc. lines more often.

royboy42
12th September 2006, 08:00 PM
Wouldn't it be great if eski could kick like b quinlan.. i think blight was the nearest to him for distance and accuracy..i cant think of anyone round like that right now...but i'll take eski for now...he's only gonna get better!

Alibi Monday
12th September 2006, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by royboy42
Malceski is becoming more and more impressive every week..his game v west coast on saturday was extremely mature for such a young player.
His run from defence then the long accurate kick to a man remind me of someone in my past...do u think i can remember who?? It's driving me crazy!
Maybe his kicking style is the key..anyway, anyone who can help me out, feel free! Please.
Come to think of it, there was a bloke called Don Furness who played in the middle for the Roys in the 50s..he kicked like eski..both sides too, unusual for those times! But i doubt too many here would remember him..maybe Old Royboy?

A couple of commentators have mentioned his raking left foot, upfield vision and accuracy are similar to Mark Bayes.