PDA

View Full Version : Prelim Final Crowd @ Telstra

dann
15th September 2006, 09:11 AM
I thought it would be nice to start a thread as we enter the week leading up to the big game - tickets to the regular punters go on sale in an hour.

By yesterday afternoon, after two days of sales, there were 38,000 tickets left for the Swans' final against the winner of tonight's semi-final between Fremantle and Melbourne.
Source (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20413773%255E19742,00.html)

Realisitically - are we all thinking 70 000+ ? Or are we dreamin'?

Maybe a poll?

Dann

Jeffers1984
15th September 2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by dann
I thought it would be nice to start a thread as we enter the week leading up to the big game - tickets to the regular punters go on sale in an hour.

Source (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20413773%255E19742,00.html)

Realisitically - are we all thinking 70 000+ ? Or are we dreamin'?

Maybe a poll?

Dann

We're thinking more like the stadiums whole capacity.

goswannie14
15th September 2006, 09:13 AM
79,999 punters will be there, because I can't get there for the game to make it 80,000.

woo
15th September 2006, 10:05 AM
apparently selling out is realistic....they have sold more tickets already than they did for the brisbane game

Dave
15th September 2006, 10:15 AM
I would expect the record to be broken.

At least 75,023 I would say.

From the HUN:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20413773%255E19742,00.html

With early ticket sales indicating a record 80,000-plus sellout crowd, next Friday night's game stands to generate more than $6million at the gate.

And the AFL's massive windfall could increase by another $1million as a result of merchandising sales on the night.

By yesterday afternoon, after two days of sales, there were 38,000 tickets left for the Swans' final against the winner of tonight's semi-final between Fremantle and Melbourne.

That figure is well ahead of early sales for the Swans' 2003 preliminary final against Brisbane at Telstra Stadium, which drew a crowd of 71,019.

Damien
15th September 2006, 10:37 AM
I'd say a crowd of 70,000 plus seems assured.

No wonder the AFL charge more here, Sydneysiders just can't help themselves when there is huge hype, no matter what the code.

AnnieH
15th September 2006, 11:33 AM
Q ... who actually makes the money from the PF ... the swans or the AFL??

If it's the swans that makes the profit ... c'mon bandwagon, everyone go out and buy a ticket.

A shade under 73,000.

:D

goswannie14
15th September 2006, 11:35 AM
Finals money all goes into the AFL coffers AFAIK.

Captain
15th September 2006, 11:51 AM
Wow, must admit I'm supprised that the crowd looks like being so big.

Thought that with the ticket prices and a low profile team (Melb or Freo) we would struggle to push 55k.

Glad I was wrong. Bring it on!!!

hammo
15th September 2006, 12:05 PM
I think Sydney fans appreciate that AFL finals are a big deal, compared to a league final at Telstra Stadium last week (Raiders vs Dogs) which would have been lucky to get 12,000 judging by the pictures on TV.

dann
15th September 2006, 12:16 PM
I agree - although it was a shocker of a night last Saturday - and not condusive for outdoory footy watching. Having said that - if it was a Swans final - there still would have been 40000 (Swans vs Eagles in 2004?). League is an inferior game to watch live at the ground - it is a much better spectator sport watching on tv from the comfort of your living room (or someone elses) whereas AFL is a much better game live at the ground - but thats another topic...

Tuco
15th September 2006, 12:39 PM
To put it into perspective: in 2003 my friend and I were left holding unused tickets on the night.

This time around we had 5 people miss out on a ticket to the game because we could only buy 20. And if we'd had someone else queue with us we could have found 30 takers in a canter.

Sat night's crowd will be a record. 75k my guess.

snajik
15th September 2006, 01:52 PM
There were 14,000 at the pine-lime splice v dogheads game. Regardless of the weather that's pretty dismal for a final.

Schneiderman
15th September 2006, 04:20 PM
Similarly we used up our full allocation of 10 tickets (without having to re-queue for the other 6) on ourselves, family who refused to go last year, and a few Irish lads we know who are massively pumped to see this game. They only really started watching the game this year, and have gotten onto the bandwagon big time.

stellation
15th September 2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Annie Haddad
Q ... who actually makes the money from the PF ... the swans or the AFL??

If it's the swans that makes the profit ... c'mon bandwagon, everyone go out and buy a ticket.

A shade under 73,000.

The AFL.

swantastic
15th September 2006, 06:05 PM
There will be 100000 there,oh sorry must be thinking of the GF the week after.:)

Dave
15th September 2006, 09:56 PM
So how many tickets left?

Anyone...?

AnnieH
16th September 2006, 01:48 AM
Now we know it's freo ... do you think we'll fill the stadium?
I think there'll certainly be more room for the swannie bandwagon if they wanna come and play.
Thoughts??

Tuco
16th September 2006, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Annie Haddad
Now we know it's freo ... do you think we'll fill the stadium?
I think there'll certainly be more room for the swannie bandwagon if they wanna come and play.
Thoughts??

This is a much bigger game than the 2003 Prelim. Freo being our opponent shouldn't matter too much. 2003 was a pretty large crowd and Brisbane didn't exactly flood our stands with fans for that game either.

sharp9
16th September 2006, 12:33 PM
I think Sydney fans are probably just as bigger bandwagoners as Collingwood fans in so far as (even if it is subconscious) they will actually be more willing to go with non-trad Freo as the opponent seeing as were would appear to be MORE favoured. ie half the decision of whether to go (for non hard core fans) is about how likely YOUR team is to win.

Playing Freo = more people going I reckon (even though, in reality Freo will be harder to beat than melbourne..as we langer term watchers know).

Hope that makes sense. :)

Tuco
16th September 2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
I think Sydney fans are probably just as bigger bandwagoners as Collingwood fans in so far as (even if it is subconscious) they will actually be more willing to go with non-trad Freo as the opponent seeing as were would appear to be MORE favoured. ie half the decision of whether to go (for non hard core fans) is about how likely YOUR team is to win.

Playing Freo = more people going I reckon (even though, in reality Freo will be harder to beat than melbourne..as we langer term watchers know).

Hope that makes sense. :)

I understand what you're trying to say. But frankly, can't understand why you bothered. :rolleyes:

Pretty fatuous argument predicated on some seriously flaky assumptions.

Danzar
16th September 2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Tuco
I understand what you're trying to say. But frankly, can't understand why you bothered. :rolleyes:

Pretty fatuous argument predicated on some seriously flaky assumptions.
His name's not frankly.

sharp9
16th September 2006, 04:13 PM

Pretty fatuous argument predicated on some seriously flaky assumptions. How many of your 73 posts have actually had anything say you toss-pot? Try going back through some of mine over the last 3 or 4 years and you'll see a mix of boring @@@@e and brilliant insight...not to mention wit and wisdom (look it up in the dictionary). Pull your head in.

westernswan
16th September 2006, 04:33 PM
70000 Swans fans + 5000 Dockers is my guess!

My little bro is a dockers fan, hence the fact why my parents have demanded we be seprated for this game(me fly to sydney...he stays in perth)

anything under 73000 would be dissapinting i figure. What kind of media attention is it getting over there atm with all the thugby league going on

p.s. 30,000 at the Rl last night hahahahahaha:p

benny_w
16th September 2006, 06:25 PM
Reading in the Telegraph today, there are 60.000 tickets sold so that would leave 25-25,000 tickets to sell this week

Tuco
16th September 2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
How many of your 73 posts have actually had anything say you toss-pot? Try going back through some of mine over the last 3 or 4 years and you'll see a mix of boring @@@@e and brilliant insight...not to mention wit and wisdom (look it up in the dictionary). Pull your head in.

Whoah. Settle down, Big fella! Save that anger for the game on Fri. I'll look forward to reading the last 3 years of your posts. Hopefully, they won't all be calling the faithful Bandwagoners and comparing us to Collingwood fans, though. :D

cruiser
16th September 2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by benny_w
Reading in the Telegraph today, there are 60.000 tickets sold so that would leave 25-25,000 tickets to sell this week 60,000 sold already is amazing. As momentum gathers as the game approaches, I wouldnt be surprised now to see it sell out. Sydney loves a big event.

Tuco
16th September 2006, 06:50 PM
Does anyone know how the Telstra Member's allocation works? Could be the difference in a sellout or not. I was wondering if their seats get offered for sale if they're not taken up?

jazzamcc
16th September 2006, 07:19 PM
Does anyone know how the Telstra Member's allocation works? Could be the difference in a sellout or not. I was wondering if their seats get offered for sale if they're not taken up?

Telstra stadium members had their opportunity to nominate to go to the event on Monday and Tuesday. Intially the Memebers reserve was quite large, then they increased it, then after the deadline closed, they shrunk the reserve.
Those seats have now be released to the public.

573v30
16th September 2006, 07:21 PM
The attendance could be 77 777...

cruiser
16th September 2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 573v30
The attendance could be 77 777... Or it could be 77 778. :confused:

swantastic
16th September 2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Or it could be 77 778. :confused: or....77779:confused:

sharp9
17th September 2006, 09:01 AM
Whoah. Settle down, Big fella! Save that anger for the game on Fri. I'll look forward to reading the last 3 years of your posts. Hopefully, they won't all be calling the faithful Bandwagoners and comparing us to Collingwood fans, though. :D

Cheers :)

ROK Lobster
17th September 2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by swantastic
or....77779:confused: Anthing under 77 790 will be a disappointment.

timthefish
17th September 2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Anthing under 77 790 will be a disappointment.

agreed. 77789 would be only a slight disappointment. 77788, however, would be a disgrace and only serve to highlight the fickle nature of the sydney fans.

Captain
17th September 2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by timthefish
agreed. 77789 would be only a slight disappointment. 77788, however, would be a disgrace and only serve to highlight the fickle nature of the sydney fans.

lol :D

ROK Lobster
17th September 2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by timthefish
agreed. 77789 would be only a slight disappointment. 77788, however, would be a disgrace and only serve to highlight the fickle nature of the sydney fans. I think that the difference between 77788 and 77790 could well depend upon the weather.

DST
17th September 2006, 05:48 PM
Got to love those boofheads on the Sunday Football show in Melbourne.

With out even knowing how many tickets had been sold they all predicted that a crowd of more than 50,000 would be great for a Fremantle v Sydney game as there would be no Melbourne team playing to bring out the fans.

BT in particular is going to look a little stupid when he rocks up on Friday night at Telstra Stadium to see more than 70,000 there.

Any long range weather forecasts yet?

DST

Damien
17th September 2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by DST
Got to love those boofheads on the Sunday Football show in Melbourne.

With out even knowing how many tickets had been sold they all predicted that a crowd of more than 50,000 would be great for a Fremantle v Sydney game as there would be no Melbourne team playing to bring out the fans.

BT in particular is going to look a little stupid when he rocks up on Friday night at Telstra Stadium to see more than 70,000 there.

Any long range weather forecasts yet?

DST

22 and Sunny according to Foxtel Weather Channel (well not Sunny at 8pm :D )

Prime and Budget seating allocation still has a bit of a way to go, you can still buy rows of 10, which I found interesting.

jazzamcc
17th September 2006, 06:10 PM
Prime seats seem to be selling well. Seems most people are willing to pay $85. It is surprising that the budget seats aren't selling so well. Standard seats are starting to pick up a bit, as I think Prime has now moved up to Level 6.

My guess 68522.

Grant
17th September 2006, 09:24 PM
I think that the difference between 77788 and 77790 could well depend upon the weather.

Or the fact that me my and my mate can't get there because all airfares are ridiculously over priced now(school hols) and reasonable priced hotels are full because there is Melb.Storm fans up there also.
I just can't justify paying the $80 or so for the game,plus approx.$300 in airfares,plus accomm,plus all the drink to consume.I am hoping for a win by the boys so i can spend up on the next weekend:D

Bit dissapointed i am missing this week though as i have never missed a final in sydney before.

benny_w
17th September 2006, 09:44 PM
well just did a dummy order for 10 tickets for Friday night and they are now selling on Level 6 (eastern side).

80,000 people is now a certainty to happen.

We need all Swans fans to be at their best on Friday night.

There is only so much atmosphere that the cheersquad can do.

The rest is up to you.

Bring on our "House of Pain"

Benny_w

timthefish
17th September 2006, 09:59 PM
I think that the difference between 77788 and 77790 could well depend upon the weather.

excuses, excuses.....

sWAns63
17th September 2006, 10:13 PM
We probably a need 160,000 crowd
Troy Cook in the West Aussie today
An 80,000 strong red & white army could not match the passion created by the 42,505 mostly docker supporters at Subi against Melbourne.
He went on to say
"I doubt the Sydney crowd can match them"

benny_w
17th September 2006, 10:21 PM
he is just a FREO BOGAN who is jealous that we will make more noise than 40,000 Freo bogans

they are now selling on Level 6 (eastern side).

80,000 people is now a certainty to happen.

We need all Swans fans to be at their best on Friday night.

There is only so much atmosphere that the cheersquad can do.

The rest is up to you.

Bring on our "House of Pain"

Benny_w

sWAns63
17th September 2006, 10:31 PM
Even their ass coach thinks the Swans might be jittery on Friday night
I wish I could be there the missus won't let me go though I have a green light for the GF so the bloods have to get up!!!!!!!!!!

barry
18th September 2006, 10:26 AM

I dont know where all the hysteria about 80,000 is coming from. Go to ticketek and you can still get good seats in the lower levels.

I doubt finding out Freo is our opponent is going to kick in many more sales.

Tuco
18th September 2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by barry

I dont know where all the hysteria about 80,000 is coming from. Go to ticketek and you can still get good seats in the lower levels.

I doubt finding out Freo is our opponent is going to kick in many more sales.

I don't think it's hysteria. We have strong evidence from the speed of the ticket sales so far suggesting it will be a record crowd.

I agree that 80,000 probably isn't possible. But am pretty confident 75k would be closer to the mark than a measly 63k.

wheels27
18th September 2006, 11:35 AM
I have to laugh at the Dockers crew commenting on how loud/intimidating or not a 70K+ crowd might be - NONE of them (Exception- Bell) have played in front of anything bigger than 40-45K so how would they know??

dann
18th September 2006, 11:41 AM
I agree - I think it takes an act of God to actually fill a stadium completely. Had we been playing collingwood or essendon - then you might push that mark. Just look how many big games at the SCG have failed to get to 40 000 even when it has been soldout for weeks! Everything needs to be spot on for the capacity sign to go up. I reckon 65000 and will be happy to be wrong. 70000+ will be a terrific achievement!

Dann

Layby
18th September 2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by dann
I agree - I think it takes an act of God to actually fill a stadium completely. Had we been playing collingwood or essendon - then you might push that mark. Just look how many big games at the SCG have failed to get to 40 000 even when it has been soldout for weeks! Everything needs to be spot on for the capacity sign to go up. I reckon 65000 and will be happy to be wrong. 70000+ will be a terrific achievement!

Dann

SCG & Tesltra are very different animals though. SCG has a significant amount of 'SCG members' who join for many reasons seeing Swans games being only a relatively small part. Telstra also has members but they are more 'footy/event' oriented. That is why sold out at the SCG is never 'sold out'

Still wish game was at SCG though, i love night finals at the SCG

dann
18th September 2006, 12:37 PM
Agreed re: SCG members.

Althought I love the atmosphere and tradition of the SCG - the more and more I go around to other stadiums around Australia - the more I think the SCG is a dog position/facility wise. Regardless of its prestige - it took me 30 minutes to get a beer and pie nearly an hour before the Swans vs Carlton game at the SCG.

A 60000+ crowd at telstra produces a great atmosphere.

Dann

Layby
18th September 2006, 12:41 PM
Agree re facilities, but not position (hard to get to for some) but when you are there there are heaps of options pre/post game

telstra is a joke, one place to go prior to game which is way, way too small to cope.

Telstra dome best footy ground in country IMHO. Fits all criteri, seating, view, facilities, locality, access

AnnieH
18th September 2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by sWAns63
We probably a need 160,000 crowd
Troy Cook in the West Aussie today
An 80,000 strong red & white army could not match the passion created by the 42,505 mostly docker supporters at Subi against Melbourne.
He went on to say
"I doubt the Sydney crowd can match them"

Cookie's just spewin' 'cause had he stayed at Sydney, he would be classified as a "reigning premiership" player. Oh well, I love ya Cookie, but better luck next life.:D