PDA

View Full Version : Defending or winning a title?

hammo
15th September 2006, 02:38 PM
It's bizarre the @@@@ they come up with sometimes.

source (http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=297568)

"We are not defending a title; we are trying to win a title. What's happened has happened and we are trying to win a new title.

573v30
15th September 2006, 02:43 PM
We won the flag last year, of course we're defending the title...

ScottH
15th September 2006, 02:58 PM
2005 AFL Premiers.

2006 AFL Premiers,

Different titles. Thus winning a new title.

Sanecow
15th September 2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
2005 AFL Premiers.

2006 AFL Premiers,

Different titles. Thus winning a new title.

Nice try but sadly 0/10.

AnnieH
15th September 2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Nice try but sadly 0/10.

I agree with ScottH. Different team. Different year. Different circumstances. Different title.

Considering that for the last three years Roosey has been saying "let's just take it one week at a time", saying now that we are "winning another title" (IMO) sort of puts it in the same category as taking it "one week at a time". The way I'm reading it, saying we're "defending our title" (in this context) is a little arrogant .... and Roosey's never (well, hardly never) been arrogant!!:D

Every game is very different from the last. Gorge on as many past stats as you want ... they mean jack when you're lining up for "next weeks' game".

:D

Sanecow
15th September 2006, 04:07 PM
I understand that there may well be subtle psychological differences in approaching an attempt to win a title vs attempting to defend one but they are defending the AFL Premiership whether they like it or not. Keep the mind games in-house.

Schneiderman
15th September 2006, 04:22 PM
I understand that there may well be subtle psychological differences in approaching an attempt to win a title vs attempting to defend one but they are defending the AFL Premiership whether they like it or not. Keep the mind games in-house.

LOL. That coming from someone who actually took offense to a pretty irrelevant comment.

ROK Lobster
15th September 2006, 04:34 PM
So does that mean we are still "the hunted"?

Sanecow
15th September 2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
LOL. That coming from someone who actually took offense to a pretty irrelevant comment.

:confused:

alison.z
15th September 2006, 04:36 PM
defend/win - i'm happy with both

hammo
15th September 2006, 05:30 PM
If we are defending premiers we must be defending something?

swantastic
15th September 2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by hammo
If we are defending premiers we must be defending something? Isn't it the reigning PREMIERS.IMO we are here trying to win a premiership,not defend a prem its 2006 not 2005 therefore a new title.

goswannie14
15th September 2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by hammo
If we are defending premiers we must be defending something? and trying to win a new title as well. I see both together as relevant.

is2SWaNz
15th September 2006, 05:40 PM
Defending or not, it's different. You can't defend the flag every year, it's just winning another flag and claim the title for that year.

Every year is different, and every year only comes once, which means you can only claim it once and it's gone forever. 2006 will cease to exist, and we're in a great position to claim the 2006 title, not defending the 2005 flag. That was last year, it's gone.

Carolyn
15th September 2006, 06:12 PM
We're doing both. We're defending the title by winning it.

Sanecow
15th September 2006, 06:20 PM
Hall obviously is hopeful the Swans can go back-to-back this season, even though last week's defeat by Geelong at Skilled Stadium could cost them a double chance.

"Regardless of last week, I think we are in a good position," he insisted. "I know results have to go our way and we have to win our last two games, but we are up-beat and keen for a crack at defending the title."

Source (http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=292196)

swantastic
15th September 2006, 06:21 PM
Cant be to over confident.;)

Young Blood
15th September 2006, 06:24 PM
Yep, we're trying to win something new, not defend something we already have (unlike for example, a golfer or tennis player who needs to achieve a certain result to "defend" their #1 ranking).

You don't have to defend something that you can't lose! :D

goswannie14
15th September 2006, 06:26 PM
Whislt we are trying to win the 2006 title, we are defending the title of "reigning premiers", the same but different.:confused:

ROK Lobster
15th September 2006, 06:51 PM
Source (http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=292196) And I think that we could find any numbner of others

timthefish
15th September 2006, 06:56 PM
next year, we will still be the 2005 premiers. hopefully we will ALSO be the 2006 premiers. we would then have two recent premierships - not one.

we keep the cup, the medallions and the title - it's not boxing where we hand over some stupid belt.

The Boot
15th September 2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
So does that mean we are still "the hunted"?
rok, MOL is the "hunted". Last week Hunter was the ... err .. well .. Hunter!!
:D

Sanecow
15th September 2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by timthefish
next year, we will still be the 2005 premiers. hopefully we will ALSO be the 2006 premiers. we would then have two recent premierships - not one.

So every club except Freo are Premiers then. Uh huh.

australian_made
15th September 2006, 07:33 PM
Gee what an exciting thread!

So if we dont defend this premiership does that mean we lose it? :confused:

ScottH
15th September 2006, 08:36 PM
Nice try but sadly 0/10. No one can take the 2005 Premiership off us. So why do we have to defend it?

ScottH
15th September 2006, 08:37 PM
So every club except Freo are Premiers then. Uh huh. But only one is reigning.

Sanecow
15th September 2006, 08:48 PM
No one can take the 2005 Premiership off us. So why do we have to defend it?

Nobody can take your Olympic medal or World Championship medal either, but you defend your title of Olympic or World Champion. Stupid argument.

Big Al
15th September 2006, 08:51 PM
If we get to the GF and win it, I won't give a toss what you call it.

ScottH
15th September 2006, 08:53 PM
Nobody can take your Olympic medal or World Championship medal either, but you defend your title of Olympic or World Champion. Stupid argument. Made you bite though!

Sanecow
15th September 2006, 08:55 PM
Made you bite though!

Woof!

The Undertaker
15th September 2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
Isn't it the reigning PREMIERS.IMO we are here trying to win a premiership,not defend a prem its 2006 not 2005 therefore a new title.

I agree.

Xie Shan
16th September 2006, 01:55 AM
Woof!

Cows go 'woof'? :confused:

Damien
16th September 2006, 03:57 AM
:confused:

Clearly defending our premiership and the right to be called Premiers again.

We simply become a former premiersip side if we lose this week or the following week. So surely we are defending our premiership? because we want the club to continue being the premiers? We are defending the status we have held all year.

goswannie14
16th September 2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Xie Shan
Cows go 'woof'? :confused: Yeah, don't you ever watch "Playschool"?;)

timthefish
16th September 2006, 10:26 AM
so no-one won the 2002 and 2003 premierships? i wonder if the cups are available on ebay?
i think there are two ways you can look at it - 1. you win individual premierships and 2. you defend your status as reigning premiers.
these aren't mutually exclusive and if the team wants to focus on the former so as to reduce the anxiety and presure of expectation then good on them. the way it's phrased, now that i re-read it, does sound a little forced and cheesy, but it sounds like a classic psychological strategy and i hope it works.

ROK Lobster
16th September 2006, 11:33 AM
I want someone to come out and say that we are taking it one premiership at a time.

ScottH
16th September 2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Yeah, don't you ever watch "Playschool"?;) Cows go bong, there.

swantastic
17th September 2006, 12:20 AM
Ross Lyon assistant coach said...
"We are not defending a title; we are trying to win a title

ROK Lobster
17th September 2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by swantastic
Ross Lyon assistant coach said... You idiot.

goswannie14
17th September 2006, 02:55 PM
Cows go bong, there. That explains a lot then!;)