PDA

View Full Version : FTA footy on Ch 31

barry
23rd November 2006, 09:11 AM
Looks like all AFL will be on Free to Air TV next year. With the possibility of Ch 31 picking up the Friday night game in NSW and QLD. I'm assuming here that 31 will e a digital channel by then, meaning coverage wont be an issue.

Good result I think. live on a free minor channel is better than 2 houred delayed on minor pay TV channel

NMWBloods
23rd November 2006, 09:41 AM
As long as it's only interstate that shows football on Ch 31 then I'm happy!

sfan
23rd November 2006, 09:51 AM
And what about Canberra and Regional Australia. I live near the CBD of Brisbane and no C31. Special expensive antenna on top of apartment just gets SBS.

hammo
23rd November 2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by barry

Good result I think. live on a free minor channel is better than 2 houred delayed on minor pay TV channel
No, under the new agreement the Friday night came must be shown live. It's a contractural obligation.

So if the AFL does end up on Foxtel, it will be live.

I also don't know how recent or reliable your source is but I would be amazed if the AFL allowed its showpiece match to be broadcast in Australia's biggest city on a tin pot community station. That would cheapen the code beyond belief at a time the NRL will have two games on Channel 9 on Fridays.

The new rights are about "taking the game to the widest possible audience". I don't see how Ch31 can fulfill this in anyway, particularly to rural areas who would be left high and dry.

ScottH
23rd November 2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
As long as it's only interstate that shows football on Ch 31 then I'm happy! Why? Don't you want the opportunity to see all games.

NMWBloods
23rd November 2006, 10:14 AM
In Melbourne I want them to show all games on one of the five main networks or Foxtel.

Steiger
23rd November 2006, 10:33 AM
I can get channel 31, except they seem to have the same episode of snow on the entire time.

Surely SBS or the ABC would be a more professional prospect, both organisations with live sports broadcasting experience?

If games end up on the ABC will the commentators have to display views from both sides and not display any bias!?!

Channel 31 reminds of the jazz radio station on the Simpsons that has a broadcasting range of 3 feet!

ScottH
23rd November 2006, 10:38 AM
In Melbourne I want them to show all games on one of the five main networks or Foxtel. Ch 31 works much better in my house than Foxtel.

AnnieH
23rd November 2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
Ch 31 works much better in my house than Foxtel.

I love TVS ... Vasilli's Garden. This greek bloke goes to all his rellies houses and show us their fig trees and tomatoes.
Very funny show.

Told youse there were other options, and that the AFL are looking at them all.

Mmmmmmmmm. Where's that sarcastic emoticon when I need it the most!!:D

(AND I got thrown to the sandpit ... pfft! ... ok, it did turn into an Eddie-bashing thread, but that's not the point.)

goswannie14
23rd November 2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
Ch 31 works much better in my house than Foxtel. Neither of them work at our place!:mad:

swantastic
23rd November 2006, 04:05 PM
Best show on Ch31 is Blokes World.back on track the northern states are going to get shafted by 7 and 10,How are they going to show all 8 games live impossible and they want to expand the game into the northern states what a joke.

nat
23rd November 2006, 04:09 PM
I have no idea what channel 31 is? How do i know if i have it?

AnnieH
23rd November 2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by nat
I have no idea what channel 31 is? How do i know if i have it?

In Sydney it's called TVS - and it's analogue. If you can pick up SBS through your TV or video, you should be able to tune into Ch31. Do you know how to tune in channels on your TV or VCR? (If not, grab the nearest bloke or small kid.) All you need to do is tune it in.

nat
23rd November 2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Annie Haddad
In Sydney it's called TVS - and it's analogue. If you can pick up SBS through your TV or video, you should be able to tune into Ch31. Do you know how to tune in channels on your TV or VCR? (If not, grab the nearest bloke or small kid.) All you need to do is tune it in.

Are there asians dancing on there atm?

DeadlyAkkuret
23rd November 2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by nat

That seems like something SBS would show...

AnnieH
23rd November 2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by nat

There could very well be. It's that type of station!!:D
I'm at work, can't tell ya (they won't turn the cricket off so I can check).
It'll have transparent "TVS" in an orange box somewhere on the screen (like the other stations).

Hope you find it Nat, it's a scream.

nat
23rd November 2006, 04:40 PM
Okies, that is it. It's got the little orange thing up the top.

It's really bad quality though and the sounds goes on and off every few seconds. Hm, i'll get my Dad to fix it.

NMWBloods
23rd November 2006, 04:48 PM
We get SBS well but not 31.

AnnieH
23rd November 2006, 04:54 PM
We get SBS well but not 31.

I can't pick up ABC without the set-top box ... go figure!!
Have you tried to tune it in through your video, or just the TV?
Channel 31 works better coming through my video than it does the TV.
Try both.

humphrey bear
23rd November 2006, 06:06 PM
I wouldnt worry about whether or not you pick up channel 31.

There is no way in the world that Channels 7 & 10 are going to give something to community TV for free when Foxtel have already offered $45 million for it.

Carolyn
23rd November 2006, 06:14 PM
We managed to pick up TVS while searching for SBS during the Soccer World Cup. I had no idea it was Channel 31 though...Is there a programme guide for the channel anywhere?

DeadlyAkkuret
23rd November 2006, 06:45 PM
I believe this is the guide:)

Ch 31 TV Guide (http://www.accesstvwa.com/programming/program_guides/program_guides.html)

hammo
23rd November 2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by nat

It's really bad quality though and the sounds goes on and off every few seconds. Hm, i'll get my Dad to fix it.
I've think you've just inadvertantly outlined while this wacky proposal has no chance of winning AFL approval.

nat
23rd November 2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by hammo
I've think you've just inadvertantly outlined while this wacky proposal has no chance of winning AFL approval.

.. so it's not just my TV then?

Well that's good.

mackemdezzy
23rd November 2006, 09:16 PM
just heard on the 9pm news on 2UE that the talks between networks 7,10 and fox have broken down
and about channel 31 i don't think that many people out there even know that it exsists ,i think they would be crazy putting it on ch31

sharp9
23rd November 2006, 09:26 PM
Well the CAN't put it on Ch 31 out here (90 mins from Melbourne). We get WIN etc so presumably there must be a different deal for regional areas.

DeadlyAkkuret
23rd November 2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
Well the CAN't put it on Ch 31 out here (90 mins from Melbourne). We get WIN etc so presumably there must be a different deal for regional areas.

I can't get Ch 31, no one i know can get it either, SBS and the ABC would be the better affiliates.

barry
23rd November 2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by DeadlyAkkuret
I believe this is the guide:)

Ch 31 TV Guide (http://www.accesstvwa.com/programming/program_guides/program_guides.html)

Thats the Perth one. Each major city has its own.

This is Sydney's one:
http://www.tvs.org.au/

swansrock4eva
23rd November 2006, 10:58 PM
I can't get Ch 31, no one i know can get it either, SBS and the ABC would be the better affiliates.

I can't get any of them living only a few k's from the Melbourne CBD! I'll be stuffed any way they go :p

AnnieH
23rd November 2006, 11:00 PM
We KNOW there's no way it's gunna be on TVS/Ch31.

Ch 7/10 already have extra digital stations ready and waiting. A set top box on your current set will access them.

ABC2 would be a perfect vehicle ... it's national.

mackemdezzy
23rd November 2006, 11:25 PM
Ch 7/10 already have extra digital stations ready and waiting. A set top box on your current set will access them.

As far as i know the commercial networks are not allowed to start this Multi-channeling thing until 2009, until after analogue gets shut down.All they are allowed to do at the monment is to show the same content on there analogue service across all of there extra digital channels so you get 3 or 4 channels with to same content

ScottH
24th November 2006, 06:20 AM
I can see the signs out side the pubs next year.

Watch the Foooty Live Here
On Channel 31

Bloody Hell
24th November 2006, 06:53 AM

You can only get it in Brisbane when Mecury, Jupiter and Saturn are in alignment....and even then the reception is crap.

timthefish
24th November 2006, 07:26 AM
if the deal went ahead, channel 31 would receive more money than they've ever conceived of before. perhaps they might pay for more bandwidth and signal strength?

hammo
24th November 2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by timthefish
if the deal went ahead, channel 31 would receive more money than they've ever conceived of before. perhaps they might pay for more bandwidth and signal strength?
Paul Roos in the Terror today says he didn't even know there was a community TV station. Herein lies the problem... 95% (possibly more) of Sydney don't know about Channel 31. How can the game make a serious drive into Sydney when games are being shown on a largely inaccessible TV station.

The other major problem is that the signal is weak in Sydney, and non-existent in rural / regional areas.

goswannie14
24th November 2006, 11:35 AM
if the deal went ahead, channel 31 would receive more money than they've ever conceived of before. perhaps they might pay for more bandwidth and signal strength? How would they get more money, are 7/10 going to pay them to televise it?:confused:

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
How would they get more money, are 7/10 going to pay them to televise it?:confused:

Advertising revenue.

goswannie14
24th November 2006, 11:41 AM
Advertising revenue. Doesn't that go against the Community TV ethos?

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 11:45 AM
Doesn't that go against the Community TV ethos?

Trust me, IF (and that's a big, bold "if") the AFL said that they were going to put a few games on community TV, that "against advertising ethos" will fly straight out the window. No TV station (except the abc) says no to advertising money. They'd be stoopid not to take it.

Remember when SBS started, they said no ads. Then they started to run a few ads in-between programmes. Now, you get a good, old fashioned commerical break. Although you only get two per half hour ... not the usual four.

hammo
24th November 2006, 11:55 AM
Trust me, IF (and that's a big, bold "if") the AFL said that they were going to put a few games on community TV, that "against advertising ethos" will fly straight out the window. No TV station (except the abc) says no to advertising money. They'd be stoopid not to take it.

Remember when SBS started, they said no ads. Then they started to run a few ads in-between programmes. Now, you get a good, old fashioned commerical break. Although you only get two per half hour ... not the usual four.
These are matters for the Government, not the individual stations.
There is federal communications legislation which deals with this.

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 12:02 PM
These are matters for the Government, not the individual stations.
There is federal communications legislation which deals with this.

Oh Der Hammo.
I'm sure that, like SBS, if advertising revenue started to arrive at the smaller stations, the government isn't going to stop it.

Sheesh, I even remember when Foxtel advertised "TV without the commericals". Yeah, right!!:D

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 12:07 PM
Sheesh, I even remember when Foxtel advertised "TV without the commericals". Yeah, right!!:D "TV without the commericals" @@@@s me - I like a couple of short breaks every half hour.

timthefish
24th November 2006, 01:21 PM
How would they get more money, are 7/10 going to pay them to televise it?:confused:

7/10 would probably save money by doing so.

j s
24th November 2006, 01:44 PM
"TV without the commericals" @@@@s me - I like a couple of short breaks every half hour. Then buy a PVR and pause live TV whenever you like. And skip the ads instantly when you don't like.

hammo
24th November 2006, 01:45 PM
Oh Der Hammo.
I'm sure that, like SBS, if advertising revenue started to arrive at the smaller stations, the government isn't going to stop it.

If the Government wanted a 4th commercial broadcaster they would auction off a license for hundreds of millions of dollars, not introduce one by stealth.

goswannie14
24th November 2006, 01:59 PM
"TV without the commericals" @@@@s me - I like a couple of short breaks every half hour. Have you tried incontinence pads?;)

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 02:02 PM
If the Government wanted a 4th commercial broadcaster they would auction off a license for hundreds of millions of dollars, not introduce one by stealth.

I'm sure SBS was supposed to be commercial free when the license was granted to them.

They interrupted South Park TWICE for commericals last Monday.

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 02:30 PM
Have you tried incontinence pads?;) They make coffee?

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by j s
Then buy a PVR and pause live TV whenever you like. And skip the ads instantly when you don't like. Eventually I will.

hammo
24th November 2006, 02:46 PM
I'm sure SBS was supposed to be commercial free when the license was granted to them.

They interrupted South Park TWICE for commericals last Monday.
It was. The Act was amendned in 1991 to allow advertising. But being a public broadcaster there are strict conditions on how the money is spent (i.e programming). As SBS is mostly government-funded, advertising revenue saves taxpayers' money. That's why if the ABC wants more funding I am in favour of introducing advertising - I'd much prefer my taxpayers dollars spent elsewhere.

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 03:18 PM
I'm sure SBS was supposed to be commercial free when the license was granted to them. For someone who hates Americans so much, it's funny that you spell like them...

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 03:24 PM
For someone who hates Americans so much, it's funny that you spell like them...

Tahkns 7F.
We've already had this discussion, my brain thinks faster than my fingers and sometimes I just get it wrong. I do try my best at spelling and grammar ... just for you.

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 03:41 PM
Channel 31 would really love to have the footy ... if Ch 7/10 "dumped" games.

Poor buggers, they ain't gunna be able to buy much for $35K.

If Andrew will only give it to them!!:D

Channel 31 - Kick It To Us (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/11/23/1163871550021.html?from=top5)

timthefish
24th November 2006, 03:46 PM
That's why if the ABC wants more funding I am in favour of introducing advertising - I'd much prefer my taxpayers dollars spent elsewhere.

which would destroy any independence the abc still possesses.

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 03:53 PM

.... independence????? The ABC?????
If the ABC were "independent", Glasshouse wouldn't have been axed.
It's a government controlled TV station.

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 03:56 PM
If the ABC were "independent", Glasshouse wouldn't have been axed. Pfft - continuing that myth! If it was any good, Glasshouse wouldn't have been axed! :rolleyes:

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 04:01 PM
Pfft - continuing that myth! If it was any good, Glasshouse wouldn't have been axed! :rolleyes:

Pfft right back at ya baby!!
Glasshouse is a great show. It's one of their highest rating shows. If there was advertising $$'s involved, the show wouldn't have gotten axed.

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 05:01 PM
Told youse there were other options, and that the AFL are looking at them all.

Mmmmmmmmm. Where's that sarcastic emoticon when I need it the most!!:D

(AND I got thrown to the sandpit ... pfft! ... ok, it did turn into an Eddie-bashing thread, but that's not the point.)

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/11/23/1163871551066.html

"Iit seems certain the AFL will prevent community network Channel 31 from televising Friday night games into Sydney and Brisbane and also from showing pre-season games into Melbourne."

"[Demetriou] said that the AFL reserved the right to sanction which stations were sub-licensed to show football."

As far as 7 and 10 go...

Foxtel's annual $45 million offer for four weekly games was identical to the offer made in partnership with Channel Nine last December. Seven and Ten, which have placed an asking price of $65 million on a four-game package but would accept $60 million, firmly believe Foxtel was paying $60 million as part of the Nine bid.

Ruda Wakening
24th November 2006, 06:31 PM
It seems certain the AFL will prevent community network Channel 31 from televising Friday night games into Sydney and Brisbane and also from showing pre-season games into Melbourne."

So Ed was right?

cruiser
24th November 2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by barry
Looks like all AFL will be on Free to Air TV next year. With the possibility of Ch 31 picking up the Friday night game in NSW and QLD. I'm assuming here that 31 will e a digital channel by then, meaning coverage wont be an issue.

Good result I think. live on a free minor channel is better than 2 houred delayed on minor pay TV channel So far as I know there are no plans to switch community TV, such as C31, from analogue to digital by next year.

DeadlyAkkuret
24th November 2006, 08:51 PM

That's been done already.

barry
24th November 2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
So far as I know there are no plans to switch community TV, such as C31, from analogue to digital by next year.

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-29,GGLG:en&q=channel+31+digital

Doctor
25th November 2006, 09:21 PM
The fact that this thread is now into it's sixth page is testament in itself to how ridiculous this whole situation is. We're talking about Australia's only truly national winter sport being shown on a community televsion network. It's absolutely farcical and is the culmination of years of mismanagement of pay and digital television regulation by the Federal government.

I could write 2000 words on how angry I am about this and still just be getting warmed up.