PDA

View Full Version : pre season draft

stotty
2nd December 2006, 07:40 PM
guys just wondering if anyone would know if we have any picks in the pre season draft next week?

alison.z
2nd December 2006, 08:13 PM
i think we can pick up 6 rookies in the PSD - from what i understand

liz
2nd December 2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by alison.z
i think we can pick up 6 rookies in the PSD - from what i understand

Rookie draft and PSD are separate things, albeit they do the two one after the other.

As the list stands at the moment the club doesn't have any space left on the list to participate in the PSD. Theoretically they could still nominate either Barry or Magic as "outside" veterans and thus free up a spot on the list, but that would be subject to salary cap space if they wanted to do so.

Can't see there being any recycled players available or of appeal to the Swans so they'll probably stick with the list as it is. Only reason they might change is if there was a youngster they were still interested in who was too young to be rookied (eg Bird).

SimonH
4th December 2006, 12:47 AM
No we don't have a pick. Here (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=307848) is the team list in which all 38 slots are occupied. The reason for this is that we have listed MOL and Leo Barry as 'inside veterans'. The 3rd and final list lodgment was 1 December, and a later story reported that all team lists were unchanged from the above version (except for the Roos dumping Tim Hutchison).

The only rational reasons for having our veterans inside rather than outside the 38 senior player list are:
a) We are so close to the salary cap that another $50,000 for a draftee would take us over; and/or
b) Sydney prefer to have more rookies rather than more draftees, as that gives us the flexibility of dumping 'em after a year.

Debate rages on BigFooty about whether players who are under 18yoa are eligible for the PSD, but it's now a moot point for us.