PDA

View Full Version : Cometti-isms

Danzar
4th December 2006, 02:21 PM
Anyone seen these? Superb collection of Cometti-isms.

I can't source it because I don't know where it came from.

"The umpire's done himself a mischief."

"Scotty Cummings alone in the square, jumping up and down and waving his arms like they're playing My Sharona."

"Ugle playing on Peter Matera, fumbling around for the ball and probably his autograph book ... "

"A couple of big touches from Clive Waterhouse, who was battling up
until about five minutes ago, in danger of becoming Clive Waterboy."

Dermott Brereton: "And the ball spills free to Kickett ... "
Cometti: "Troy Cook you mean?"
Brereton: "Yes ... well, they do look rather alike."
Cometti: "How so Dermott?"
Brereton (realising that sounded rather racist): "Umm, well, they are
both ... er ... "
Cometti: " ... Midfielders, yes Dermott."

After the McManus/Wirrpunda clash a few Western Derbies back. "Shaun goes back to collect the ball, a free kick, and several teeth."

During a Melbourne-Collingwood game
Gerard Healy: "Word is this guy is the most reliable kick for goal in the side. They say down at Collingwood if you had to have someone kicking for your life, Tarkyn Lockyer would be the man."
Commetti: "I'd prefer my mum."
(silence)
Commetti: "Not a great footballer, but at least she'd care."

"Ashley McIntosh, like a good hair spray ... capable of a subtle hold."

"Barlow to Bateman, the Hawks are attacking alphabetically."

"Simon Cox,he prides himself on his disposal."
Cox then short passes to a teammate 15 metres away.
"Well, I could have done that."

"The Magpies ought to be kicking themselves right now, but with their
luck, they'd probably miss."

"Carl Steinfort looking more like Robert Walls than Robert Walls."

"Bell bringing the ball out of the back line ... looking for wide runners ... passes to Walker ... a contradiction in terms, really."

"The goal square's full of Bears, looks like we've got ourselves a
convoy."

Commetti: "McVeigh, bobbing like a cork in the ocean."
(On-cue applause from all in the Nine box, as it was the debut "cork in the
ocean" call for the season]
Commetti: "Well, it was cork material."

"The only change to the Eagles side is that Rowan Jones has had a
haircut."

"Farmer may have an injury to his calf ... hmmm, a farmer with a calf
problem."

"Parker to Carr ... sounds like a match made in heaven."

After Matthew Lloyd gives one of the Wakelin twins a little slap on Anzac Day: "Whoa! There will be a duel at 5 oclock."

Cometti: "Dear shoots? Wait on the goal umpire? Behind. A wry smile there from the goal umpire, certainly a sense of the dramatic."
Don Scott: "He's the danger man, Dennis."
Cometti: "Who? The goal umpire?"
Don: "No, Dear. Paul Dear."
Cometti: "Brennan kicks out to the outer side, straight to Paul Dear.
You're uncanny, Don."

Cometti: "King to Ling."
Brereton: "Just forward of the wing."
Cometti: "Don't you start."

"It's a goal! A dream start for Hawthorn. Spider had both his legs taken
out from under him, leaving only the other six to balance on ... "

Stewart Dew kicks for goal early in the first: "He was brought here to do exactly that ... (pause) ... actually five more than that; he kicks a behind."

Cometti: "Whhhhoa CUMMINGS!!! No, it was almost a Modra-like attempt we can see here in the replay."
(Cummings flies into the air in slow motion.)
Cometti: "Modra, Modra, Modra ... "
(Cummings gets nowhere near the ball, looking like a clown)
Cometti: "Cummings."

On former Magpie, Crow and then Cat Brenton Sanderson: "He goes much better as a mammal."

On Corey McKernan's poor form: "He's like a long jumper who can't reach the sand."

"I love that surname Fixter. Sounds like something from a Batman movie - The Fixter. But I digress ... "

"There's talk of Karl Langdon offering his services to St Kilda, as if it wasn't bad enough being in 15th position."

Richmond, kicking up the middle towards Ray Hall: "Richmond attack through the corridor in this case the Hall."

"Brown ... down to Jones ... all we need now is Smith."

Tony Liberatore had just gone into a pack as he is wont to do and come out with blood gushing from his eye: "Libba went into the pack optimistically and came out misty optically."

Ball sails just over the line for a goal.
Cometti: "That was absolutely wonderful!"
Jason Bennett: "What was it Dennis?" (Obviously playing for the centimetre-perfect line.)
Cometti: "Wonderful! Oh, I missed my cue."

During a Freo/Pies game describing the dropping of the second of two easy marks: "The Tale of Two Sitters."

When Mark Mercuri went up for a mark: "And the Mercuri is rising."

Brereton: "Why do you suppose he went side on to take the mark?"
Cometti: "He probably was trying to impress the Russian judge."

"Richardson contests the ruck ... without much conviction. Well, he may be the best player on their list ... well, certainly Matthew thinks he's the best player on their list at the moment ... mind you, that's a bit like being the best Centre Half Forward in Czechoslovakia."

"Almost a touch of synchronised swimming about that mark ... minus the
peg."

"Ball in dispute, Lamb, now Yze the meat in the sandwich. Really Lamb
should be in the sandwich."

"If it was a set play, they copied it from a Portugese bus timetable."

"How do you beat Rehn? Where's Stimpy?"

Commetti: "Before this game, I would have bet the mortgage on the Western Bulldogs, but I guess this shows that I may join the ranks of the homeless."
As Kris Barlow has a shot on goal Lyon, Brereton and Commetti joke that Cometti would now be living out of a cardboard box.
Cometti: "Well you could bet your house ... Ohhh."
Barlow misses.
Lyon "You just lost your cardboard."

"Great stuff by Caracella - moments before McIntosh had treated him like
a rent-a-car."

After Darren Gaspar hits the post from 40 metres out: "Gaspar, the unfriendly post."

"There is no footy god - only a footy accountant."

The ball is passed to David Hille of Essendon, with Rodan of Richmond trying to spoil.
"He gave it his best, but that is a big hill to climb."

NMWBloods
4th December 2006, 02:23 PM
There are some fabulous threads on BF of Cometti-isms.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30899

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62968

swantastic
4th December 2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
There are some fabulous threads on BF of Cometti-isms.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30899

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62968 Fabulous and BF just dont go together.Links dont work.

CureTheSane
4th December 2006, 09:28 PM
I blind myself to Dennis because he annoyed me a lot with his commentary.

But having read those comments, I think I like him a lot more.

Maybe even I'll do a whole 360 turn around.

I'm fickle like that I guess.....

goswannie14
4th December 2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane

I'm fickle like that I guess..... So....you still won't like him?:confused:

cruiser
4th December 2006, 10:23 PM
A living national treasure.

NMWBloods
4th December 2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
Fabulous and BF just dont go together. :rolleyes:

Links dont work. Work fine for me.

AnnieH
6th December 2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks Danzar.
That was great.
I love Commetti ... he's hysterical.
I can't wait for the McAveney/Commetti show on Ch7 next year.

swantastic
6th December 2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Work fine for me. Ah now its working.:confused:

CureTheSane
6th December 2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
So....you still won't like him?:confused:

My world has 720 degrees :)

Chow-Chicker
8th December 2006, 02:21 PM
I burst into laughter during a Richmond v "Someone" game a couple of seasons ago when Richmond were in a patch of losing close games when they had huge leads. They were in the process of surrendering another lead when the cameras panned to the Richmond coaches box and after a few seconds of silence, Cometti says......"It looks like the Bates Motel in there"

dread and might
12th December 2006, 06:55 PM
Best caller by far. People who don't like him like Rex Hunt and think Strauchanie is funny.

ROK Lobster
12th December 2006, 08:24 PM
My favourites were during a Hawks game when Dennis commented on how well Richie V had polled in the club's B&F despite missing a number of weeks after taking some well intentioned but misguided advice, followed by Dernmie's stiffled protests. In the same game Dermot noted that Richie V was off - Dennis suggested that perhaps he had gone to draw a line in the sand. Again Dermot was not impressed.

Boodnutz
14th December 2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
My favourites were during a Hawks game when Dennis commented on how well Richie V had polled in the club's B&F despite missing a number of weeks after taking some well intentioned but misguided advice, followed by Dernmie's stiffled protests. In the same game Dermot noted that Richie V was off - Dennis suggested that perhaps he had gone to draw a line in the sand. Again Dermot was not impressed. Not sure whether it was Dennis or Trevor Marmalade who said he was patiently waiting for a WCE game where following Brownlow votes were polled:

3 - Cousins
2 - Cox
1 - Chick

Come to think of it, it was probably Trevor Marmalade.

Eala ?ireann
20th December 2006, 07:11 PM
He's a classic! Knows his stuff too.

reigning premier
15th January 2007, 11:58 AM
Love the Cometti commentary... He's the Kerry O'Keefe of footy commentary....

Two favourites... Can't recall the exact occassions but....

1. In reference to a player with alot of posessions early on.. "he'll end up with leather poisoning before the night is out the way he keeps getting that ball"
2. Again another reference to a player getting a lot of posessions... "He clearly has an obsession for leather... He's all over that ball like my wife on my wallet"

ScottH
23rd February 2007, 09:09 PM
He's good in tight spaces. He has a bit of Ralph Fiennes about him.

Danzar
26th February 2007, 01:39 PM
I remember something last year, not word for word but it was like this "Kouta inside the pocket, he won't find any money there".

Something in reference to Carton's financial woes.

giant
26th February 2007, 01:45 PM
Last year in a Melbourne game: "And Sylvia smothers the ball. Sylvia's smother? Isn't there a song about that?"

Xie Shan
7th September 2007, 11:24 PM
Fom Port v WCE tonight:

"Cassisi, looking more and more like Ben Stiller" WTF?

"goals are like midnight taxis in Meekatharra, they're hard to come by at the moment"

Mike_B
7th September 2007, 11:56 PM
Couldn't help but chuckle at him commenting that Cousins had gone for the ice after he ripped his hammy.

Layby
8th September 2007, 01:13 AM
Couldn't help but chuckle at him commenting that Cousins had gone for the ice after he ripped his hammy.

Yep a pathetic, sad, cheap shot, by a pathetic sad cheap old man.

If he is not already, he should be ashamed of himself.

BeeEmmAre
8th September 2007, 02:03 AM

I thought it was clever.

I also thought Kane Cornes' comment post match that that's what happens to someone who hasn't done the work was pretty inflammatory.

DeadlyAkkuret
8th September 2007, 06:44 AM

You can continue feeling sorry for the druggie, but i wont. Dennis is a fool, but i don't have any sympathy for Cousins, he deserves whatever @@@@@ he cops.

Bindo
8th September 2007, 09:32 AM
The best one last night was "it's tough when you have to read your stomach", referring to Cousin's tattoo (such is life)! :D

attentionseeker
8th September 2007, 10:46 AM
how is dennis cometti a fool?!! the GREATEST commentator ever!
a couple of my favourites:
As Nick Riewoldt has a shot on goal after no one had kicked a major for almost the whole first quarter...
"this goal has been a long time coming. Like waiting for Marlon Brando in [I]Apocalypse Now[I]....."
As Mathew Llyod misses a shot on goal from right in front, the camera cuts to a shot of a man madly waving an Essendon scarf
"that man was waving an Essendon scarf. Well, i guess beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder"

ScottH
8th September 2007, 12:13 PM
I thought it was clever.

I also thought Kane Cornes' comment post match that that's what happens to someone who hasn't done the work was pretty inflammatory.Yes, it was a cheap shot.

JF_Bay22_SCG
8th September 2007, 12:31 PM
I remember Wayne Schwass taking a mark. Then Commetti pipes in "That's a Swastika, that mark!"

JF
PS:- "Schwass Sticker" (for the dummies ;) )

reigning premier
8th September 2007, 01:08 PM
Yes, it was a cheap shot.

Perhaps the Swans should of delivered a few cheap shots when he returned instead of welcoming him back. He made his bed, he can lie in it.

swantastic
8th September 2007, 04:05 PM
Yes, it was a cheap shot.I dont think it was a cheap shot,but maybe the true feelings some of the other players have about Benny.

goswannie14
8th September 2007, 06:13 PM
I heard Commetti ponder a few weeks ago, "Can a player be reported for charging if he is in possession of the ball?" It was after a player had done a Hally of old, put the ball under the arm and run through his attempted tackler. It made me wonder, how can anyone be stupid enough to think that out loud?

Sanecow
8th September 2007, 06:42 PM
He'd be more tolerable if he didn't have tickets on himself.

hammo
8th September 2007, 07:53 PM
Commetti is over-rated

goswannie14
8th September 2007, 10:58 PM
He'd be more tolerable if he didn't have tickets on himself.
Isn't that why he won't go out in the wind. Just in case the tickets blow off.

Sanecow
9th September 2007, 12:16 AM
Isn't that why he won't go out in the wind. Just in case the tickets blow off.

Nah, it's the comb-over.

goswannie14
9th September 2007, 09:18 AM
Nah, it's the comb-over.
:D LOL:D

Wardy
10th September 2007, 02:01 PM
he was going a bit overboard yesterday - trying to put one in at every given opportunity, some of which were just didnt cut it, and the resultant silence in the commentary box was testiment to that.

No doubt some are very funny but he was clutching at straws at times.

thesting
14th September 2007, 02:32 PM
I must admit I have not red all of this thread before leaping in and adding to it, so sorry if this one has been done. During a St Kilda match Jason Gram had his shorts ripped off to which Commetti quipped "It's a stripper-gram". I loved that one...

Xie Shan
14th September 2007, 10:01 PM
Describing the Eagles when they're not scoring:

"competitive patience...a lot like Peter Costello"

silent lurker
18th September 2007, 11:07 PM
I remember a contest in a pack and the commentators had been unsure whether there was any contact by hand. After viewing the replay, Commetti's comment was "there are a lot of arms but no sign of Hans Blix".

cruiser
19th September 2007, 09:01 AM
Cometti after the playing of the national anthem at the Port v West Coast final: "You know its finals time when they bring out the word girt".

I love his commentary.

elroy67
6th April 2008, 10:54 PM
Corker today in Tiges v Pies.

"jackson; brown; but they're running on empty"

Xie Shan
6th April 2008, 11:14 PM
Cometti after the playing of the national anthem at the Port v West Coast final: "You know its finals time when they bring out the word girt".

I think he's trotted out "girt by Shaws" before when Collingwood have been playing ;)

Also one I liked from a couple of seasons back: "Bevan sets off for a quick single".

Xie Shan
27th July 2008, 05:38 PM
Today during Melbourne vs. North, not his best efforts:

"North Melbourne are a bit like Paris Hilton, they seem to be able to play with anyone"

"Shane Valenti...built like a black box flight recorder"

(on the crowds at MCG games this weekend) "On Friday night there were 86,000, on Saturday 64,000, and today I reckon about 20,000...it's like watching the Dow Jones"

CureTheSane
27th July 2008, 06:34 PM
I probably already posted this in this thread, but I hate listening to Cometti.

He obviously sits up at night and thinks out some phrases and writes them down.
Then he shows whoever is in the box with him, because their lack of reaction indicates either that they already knew what he was going to say, or that they are totally over his crappy comments.

If he was genuinely spontaneous, then that might be a different thing, but I get sore eyes listening to him - because of all the rolling they do :D

Xie Shan
27th July 2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah, these days you can tell during a match he's looking for opportunities to use one of his lines, whereas the best calls are usually spontaneous. I still find him a more than competent caller of the action though.

hot potato
27th July 2008, 09:36 PM
"For three quarters Melbourne have been like nervous African Dictators, always taking a different route home, now they are kicking it long into the goal square."Melbourne's first win of the season against Freo.

Someone, probably Denis will assembly all these into a book now. :p

Mike_B
27th July 2008, 10:29 PM
"For three quarters Melbourne have been like nervous African Dictators, always taking a different route home, now they are kicking it long into the goal square."Melbourne's first win of the season against Freo.

Someone, probably Denis will assembly all these into a book now. :p
There's already a book out with Cometti-isms...

cruiser
28th July 2008, 04:29 PM
(on the crowds at MCG games this weekend) "On Friday night there were 86,000, on Saturday 64,000, and today I reckon about 20,000...it's like watching the Dow Jones"
I laughed out loud when I read this one.

BSA5
29th July 2008, 12:01 AM
"Ablett and Harley tearing their hair out on the bench."

:D

ash3
29th July 2008, 12:40 AM
Cometti on PS2 AFL 2006

"The score board is ticking over like a Tokyo taxi meter"

"Its like a Melbourne tram, everyones on board, but nothings paid"

"He's running like he broke his mums best china"

Xie Shan
5th April 2009, 05:09 PM
About a minute ago on Channel 7 during the Bulldogs-Kangaroos game:

"Hill is alive, where are the von Trapps?" :o

I'll forgive him for that one as it was in the middle of a rather frantic passage of play and he was a little excited.

-Doogs-
26th April 2009, 11:10 PM
During the Melbourne v Richmond match: "Richo criticising his forwards is like Michael accusing the rest of the Jackson 5 of being erratic."

As the camera panned onto the embattled Richmond coach in his box, morosely surveying the carnage: "Terry Wallace is looking through the window of a P76 ?"

In Today's Carlton V Bulldogs game: " Hill to Lake ..... it's like calling the National Geographic.."

Triple B
17th April 2010, 11:58 AM
This one from last night is worth a bump.....

On NicNat:

He creates extra pressure because when you say you are being chased by Nick Natanui it sounds like you you have 3 guys coming after you.

Bas
17th April 2010, 09:22 PM
A few years back now when LRT had his short cropped hair cut and the hair on top of his head was dead vertical. As the cameraman zoomed in on LRT, Dennis said: You could chip a 9 iron off the top of that head.

GoSouth33
17th April 2010, 11:16 PM
Commentating on the Weagles Bombers game he mentioned the ball going from Hurley to Houli to Hilly......

Xie Shan
27th March 2011, 07:43 PM
This won't go down as one of Commetti's funniest lines, but it was (IMO) one of his most truthful, during the third quarter of today's game -

Tim Watson (after we had missed another goal): "That's the thing about AFL footy, you have to take your opportunities when they are presented to you"
Dennis: "It's like life!"

Amen to that.

satchmopugdog
27th March 2011, 08:00 PM
sort of ties in with your quote at the bottom of your page

Xie Shan
27th March 2011, 08:20 PM
Ah yes, had forgotten about that! :) It's actually a quote from Glee. Also appreciate the tribute to Florence & the Machine in yours ;)

stellation
28th March 2011, 08:39 AM
I thought Tim Watson had a wonderful Cometti-ism during the game, when Bruce was gushing about Jude and how he hadn't missed a game in 5 years then Tim popped up with "well he'll miss one this year with the concussion rule".

Xie Shan
24th June 2012, 02:15 PM
The gems have been few and far between this year, reflecting the fairly mediocre standard of commentary coming out of the Channel 7 box, but this was a pretty good one on Friday night during Geelong's fightback, referencing current events:

"Six goal leads have gone the way of the drachma, it seems they aren't what they used to be"

Nico
26th June 2012, 08:36 PM
There had been a lot of comment in the earlier rounds how he and Bruce talk crap and are seen as boring. I have noticed they have called the footy a lot more recently and dropped the love for each other. haven't heard too many"specials" coming out of the gob of Bruce.

Xie Shan
26th June 2012, 10:20 PM
I didn't think so at the time (for obvious reasons!), but after watching the replay, Dennis' call on Friday night "It runs on, and on, and on... the ball barracks for Geelong!" after Chapman bounced through a goal was one my favourites, summed up the state of the game perfectly for mine. Shows what he can do when he just focusses on calling the game.

wolftone57
30th June 2012, 02:43 PM

I'm fickle like that I guess.....

I love the guy he is the best in the industry. Not only did he play and coach footy but he is a trained broadcaster.

BeeEmmAre
1st July 2012, 12:50 AM
I would love to call with either of them.