PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Collingwood

sharpie
13th July 2003, 10:09 PM
I just thought we needed another Pie-bashing thread. But also I have had a very disturbing idea today...

The Scenario:
MCC doesnt change their minds about having a game played at the MCG each week of the finals. At some stage during the finals, we are drawn to host Collingwood. They are the top ranked Victorian side. The game has to be played at the MCG. The AFL have their hands tied (by whom I'm not going to suggest).

The result:
The MCC are happy, the AFL are happy, and Eddie fringin' Macguire carries on about how wonderfully fair the entire competition is all week in the media.

I certainly hope it doesnt come to this. This would be an absolute disaster.

barry
13th July 2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
I just thought we needed another Pie-bashing thread. But also I have had a very disturbing idea today...

The Scenario:
MCC doesnt change their minds about having a game played at the MCG each week of the finals. At some stage during the finals, we are drawn to host Collingwood. They are the top ranked Victorian side. The game has to be played at the MCG. The AFL have their hands tied (by whom I'm not going to suggest).

The result:
The MCC are happy, the AFL are happy, and Eddie fringin' Macguire carries on about how wonderfully fair the entire competition is all week in the media.

I certainly hope it doesnt come to this. This would be an absolute disaster.

Everyone hates Collingwood. They are a paracitic leach on the comp.

But I have a quiet confidence that the MCG rule will be applied to all interstate sides EXCEPT Sydney. We are worth too much, and can bring in an extra million ch 10 viewers come grand final time (even prelim final time). Expect finals to be banked if the Swans are the MCC rule target that week.

Remember money is the motivation for McChins and the AFL. Nothing else. And we have the key to Fort knox.

Xie Shan
13th July 2003, 10:29 PM
Yeah but if the Swans are exempted from the MCC rule, Eddie's whinging may get worse, and I think that the MCC wouldn't like to miss out on a Swans-Collingwood prelim (for example) because of the strong Swans support in Melbourne + the huge Magpie army that would turn up. The other non-Vic clubs could also complain, if they are disadvantaged by the rule. If the AFL were to do this for the Swans they should do it for all interstate teams. I know that the Sydney market is so much bigger, but it wouldn't be fair if the Swans got a home final while the Crows for example were denied the chance to play their final at Football Park.

The TV ratings would be just as strong in Sydney wherever the Swans play in the finals.

A final at Homebush would be great - I'd love to go, but it would be sweeter to beat the Pies in Melbourne ;)
(Melbourne RWOers: I bet this would make up for only getting 5 games :D )

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what decision the AFL takes if the Swans do earn the right to host a final.

barry
13th July 2003, 10:44 PM
If Sydney won back to back flags like Brisbane have in the next couple of years, you could add another $50m p.a. to the next TV rights deal easy.

I'm not saying Sydney would do it, but the AFL wouldnt want a chance jeopodised by Sydney loosing an earnt final. Remember Brisbane havent finished minor premiers, yet have gone into the GF via two home finals.

IMO, Channel 10 have more clout with the AFL than the MCC.

Triple B
14th July 2003, 12:27 AM
Barry, WTF are you on about.

The rule is set in concrete. If all games are scheduled to be played interstate, then the LOWEST ranking interstate team will forfeit the home ground advantage and play in Melbourne.

It isn't up to the AFL, McChins or anybody else.

midaro
14th July 2003, 01:47 AM
Does a Victorian club have to play at the MCG? Or just a game?
For example:

1 Brisbane
2 Port
3 West Coast
4 Kangaroos
5 Sydney
6 Adelaide
7 Fremantle
8 Collingwood

Brisbane V Kangaroos at Gabba
Port V West Coast at AAMI
Sydney V Collingwood at SCG
Adelaide V Fremantle at MCG

It may seem absurd, but it would perserve the integrity of the system, (as much as possible).

Charlie
14th July 2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by barry
Everyone hates Collingwood. They are a paracitic leach on the comp.

But I have a quiet confidence that the MCG rule will be applied to all interstate sides EXCEPT Sydney. We are worth too much, and can bring in an extra million ch 10 viewers come grand final time (even prelim final time). Expect finals to be banked if the Swans are the MCC rule target that week.

Remember money is the motivation for McChins and the AFL. Nothing else. And we have the key to Fort knox.

Sorry, but you are deluding yourself by thinking that. You KNOW they'd never get away with it. You KNOW they wouldn't be game to try.

barry
14th July 2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
Sorry, but you are deluding yourself by thinking that. You KNOW they'd never get away with it. You KNOW they wouldn't be game to try.

Beleive it Charlie. The AFL has two options to do it before they even have to think of the breaking the MCG rule:
1) Bank a final. They have said they wont, but thats a easy decision to change at no cost.
2) Schedule someone else at the G. (The "lowest" final at the G is not set in stone (or even contract)).

If Sydney miss out on a home final, it will put the code back 10 years, because the Rugby focused media will revert to calling it the VFL again. This is a very sensitive year for the AFL up against the resurgent league and rugby wc.

swan_song
14th July 2003, 04:53 PM
Eddie says it is so unfair for Collingwood to have to travel, so he has pressured the AFL into playing all Pies 2004+ games in Nathan Buckley's backyard. He said it's also horribly unfair on the Pies if the other team turns up, because there's a chance they might not win. The AFL have agreed, and decided that they will tell whoever is playing the Pies that the game is in NB's backyard, but the real match will take place on the front lawn of Eddie's mansion. Thus they will not turn up and forfeit the game. This ensures that the junior magpies (PA est 1870; Collingwood est 1892) another well-earned premiership ...
Furthermore Collingwood DEMANDS:
1. No travelling AT ALL. GET IT!!! None whatsoever...
2. No one may wear black or white or any combination containing black or white. $5^7* off StKilda and Port...
3. NATHAN BUCKLEY must NOT wear RED and WHITE on Fox Footy!!!

Ganjaman
16th July 2003, 02:03 PM
ROTFLMAO

hahahaahahahahahahahaa

LOL

LOL

footyhead
18th July 2003, 01:20 PM
The AFL run the risk of the code becomming the laughing staock in the Sydney Media over this fiasco. And rightley so. Who ever negotiated this deal with the MCC should be fired. The situation must be fixed other wise it just is not fair.

scurrilous
18th July 2003, 06:31 PM
Well maybe the sydney media should get of their rugger arses and start writing about the AFL a bit more. Sling enough mud and it will stick.

edit: I couldn't give a rat's fat about what the sydney media thinks anyway. They show no credibility to the best winter sport in this country. I'm sure at this point in time the AFL would only laugh, shake their heads, and mumble "sydney wankers" (meaning the media not the gp) if the syd media were to have a go at the AFL

SXP
19th July 2003, 10:32 AM
Here is another reason why so many people hate Magpies in Melbourne, just read this article for example:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,6776202%255E20322,00.html
All this media gloating makes me sick sometimes!:mad:

footyhead
22nd July 2003, 07:38 AM
edit: I couldn't give a rat's fat about what the sydney media thinks anyway. They show no credibility to the best winter sport in this country.
But the fact is that they mobilize opinion in Sydney, and as long as they veiw AFL as unfair and provincial (which it is ) then the issue will not be politizised in sydney and the media will continue to be appathetic and the codes growth will continue to be hamperd by years , probabley decades !

penga
22nd July 2003, 01:31 PM
that herald sun article is a joke!

go the blues this weekend!!!

Locks
25th July 2003, 12:58 PM
boo hoo.

Charlie
25th July 2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Locks
boo hoo.

Uh.... welcome to RWO. Lockyer24?

sharp9
28th July 2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by midaro
Does a Victorian club have to play at the MCG? Or just a game?

The AFL have stated that "If no Victorian team qualifies to host a final, the lowest ranked home team will host their match at the MCG - no exceptions."

Of course they could always change their mind, but this is their reasonable attempt to be slightly fairer than giving the highrest ranked Victorian team a final.

A Vic team will play a first week final at the MCG if they finish 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th (or 8th if interstate teams are 1-6).

So if Colly were 4th and Essendon 8th - then Essendon(Roos/Hawthorn) would host final at the G while wobblies went off to Adelaide/Sydney/Pert/Brisbane!!!

Excellent Smithers. I now realise I hate Collingwood even more than the SCUM. Amazing

Sid
28th July 2003, 04:23 PM
I would just like to say that i hate collingwood.

sydnophile
30th July 2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by sharp9
So if Colly were 4th and Essendon 8th - then Essendon(Roos/Hawthorn) would host final at the G while wobblies went off to Adelaide/Sydney/Pert/Brisbane!!!

Excellent Smithers. I now realise I hate Collingwood even more than the SCUM. Amazing
.. so the fact that (under this scenario) Collingwood would be required to play a non-home final "now" makes you realise how much you hate them?

I don't deny your right to hate Collingwood. But the real "amazing" part is the stretch of logic you're using to back that up. Turn it the other way around (substitute Essendon for Collingwood) and you would've reached the same conclusion!
Obviously, no matter WHAT they do, you'll only hate them more.

sharp9
30th July 2003, 10:57 AM
Yes that's right...it wasn't until I had the two things side by side
(would I prefer Collingwood or Essendon to be the lucky Victorian team getting preferential treatment) that it was clear to me that I now hate Collingwood more than Essendon.

sharpie
2nd August 2003, 02:04 PM
Damn I love this thread.

footyhead
2nd August 2003, 08:18 PM
what a great story,
Eddie is directly responsable for turning away the magpie faithful!
I used to hear Plugger talk about how good it was to beat them, and I never really understood the whole vitriol thing againts collingwood, but since fat eddie took over they have collectively showen to me an aspect of their psyche that has made me understand the repungant response that has built up over 100 hundred years to this group of arroant, uneducated, blind, cheating, lying social climbing , sychophantic, brown nosed inbreed morons going by the name of a football team, ever to walk the earth.
I hate those filthy ****ing **** hole ass wipes, and I just wish a real rain would come down and wipe all of them off the face of the planet. Some freak natural tragedy that only targated pies supporters. Oh yeah then I would laugh my ****ing head off !!! :)

desredandwhite
2nd August 2003, 08:50 PM
Great story, Ruda! Shannon Grant wanted to go home, as did Anthony Rocca - I don't recall Rodney Eade, Colless or anyone bad-mouthing them for their decision.

Footyhead, could we please keep the swearing down a bit? I know we've got some kids reading the boards, and it'd be nice if we could keep it reasonable. I don't mind a bit of low-level swearing (especially if we get beaten by a point after the siren by Collingwood), but I'm sure you can find a way to express your opinion without resorting to the potty-mouth tactics.

sydnophile
3rd August 2003, 05:11 AM
It was extremely disappointing that Nick Davis was told he was not welcome at the end-of-year players dinner, and what's more was advised to stay away with the implied threat that it would be for his own safety. That was disgraceful!!

It was Eddie's chance to show some real leadership by taking-to-task whoever gave Nick that "advice" in no uncertain terms.

(Does anyone know the wash-up of that incident? Did Nick end up going or staying away?)
As far as I can recall, Eddie did nothing to prevent C'wood from shaming themselves.

penga
3rd August 2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by footyhead
Some freak natural tragedy that only targated pies supporters.

the only pie supporter i know is an absolute champion, so id put in a request that it doesnt target him as well :)

footyhead
3rd August 2003, 05:58 PM
Footyhead, could we please keep the swearing down a bit? I know we've got some kids reading the boards, and it'd be nice if we could keep it reasonable. I don't mind a bit of low-level swearing (especially if we get beaten by a point after the siren by Collingwood), but I'm sure you can find a way to express your opinion without resorting to the potty-mouth tactics. [/B][/QUOTE

When I say I hate the Pies, I mean : " I hate the Pies " !!

aflconvert
3rd August 2003, 06:48 PM
All I want to say is welcome to the human race Ruda Wakening

;) :)

Diego
3rd August 2003, 07:11 PM
I really hate Collingwood. So much so that even though its bad karma or bad news to cheer an injured player I would get up and cheer with great passion if any of the Collingwood players get hurt.

I normally don't do it..but Collingwood evolkes this hatred in me that I don't normally show towards anything in life. I hate them so much that if Victoria park or the social club was on fire I would help by throwing petrol in the flames.

I cheered when Tarkyn Lockyer went down. I hate them.

Call me what you will..

aflconvert
3rd August 2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Diego
I really hate Collingwood. So much so that even though its bad karma or bad news to cheer an injured player I would get up and cheer with great passion if any of the Collingwood players get hurt.

I normally don't do it..but Collingwood evolkes this hatred in me that I don't normally show towards anything in life. I hate them so much that if Victoria park or the social club was on fire I would help by throwing petrol in the flames.

I cheered when Tarkyn Lockyer went down. I hate them.

Call me what you will..

Shouldnt hate them Diego ; after all what other club has discarded such good players fotr us to pick up . first they didnt want Schauble and then they didnt want Williams . Maybe they wont want Josh Fraser or Ryan Lonie next year . or even Nathan Buckley ;)

Ruda Wakening
4th August 2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by aflconvert
All I want to say is welcome to the human race Ruda Wakening

;) :)

Thank You , lol .

penga
4th August 2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by aflconvert
Maybe they wont want Josh Fraser

r u serious?! fraser is a hack!

Ganjaman
5th August 2003, 02:42 PM
We are those wonderful Aboriginal people who pointed the bone at the collingwood football club? Why did they ever lift the curse. It was working so well.

Anyway, maybe the pies will get done each week for the rest of the year and we wont have to worry.

Pink_Lady
5th August 2003, 06:11 PM
Great story (Well not great but very interesting)....I love this thread too...I don't know much about what happened over at the wobbles headquarters but by reading up above, I just found ANOTHER reason to hate them!

Ruda- maybe a silly question, but being a former magpie supporter, do the black and white supporters realise why they, and the team and the president and the coach and the colours and the....(need I go on?) are hated so much, or does eddie do as good a job brainwashing the supporters as he does brainwashing the players, the afl, the coaching staff, the media (need I go on)?

I for one am so glad to have Nick in the red and white ....

Now where are those 'axis of evil' playing cards??:D

Norris Lurker
5th August 2003, 11:09 PM
We've all heard of Darwin's theory of evolution, of how man evolved from monkeys.
Here it is in reverse.:p

sharpie
23rd September 2003, 01:29 AM
I thought I'd bump this thread back to the front. It has been one of my personal favourites all year, and it seems like such a good week for some more.

I'll start with my disgust at Buckley scoring Brownlow points in the round 21 match. Oh, well. Onya Goodies, anyway!

snajik
23rd September 2003, 04:23 PM
Someone (a Victorian) sent an SMS to White Line Fever last night that (roughly) stated, "Don't give me this state pride nonsense, I wouldn't support Collingwood even if they were playing the Taliban".

Nice to hear that not all Melbournians are fiercely parochial, and that the distaste for Collingwood is alive and well.

Doctor
24th September 2003, 06:36 PM
How did he get points in the Round 21 match? My recollection is that Kirk did a pretty handy job on him. I certainly don't recall him being one of the best 3 on the ground.

Just like to say that I'm delighted this thread was moved back to the front. As a Swans member who led a packed bus in singing Anti-Collingwood songs all the way home from Telstra Stadium there's nothing that brings me more joy than a good old-fashioned Collingwood bashing. I even got an anti-Collingwood letter published in the Herald yesterday.

Thanks to Inside Sport for letting me know this site existed btw.

AussieAnge
26th September 2003, 02:36 PM
I have to confess to knowing 3 Collingwood fans and they are actually intelligent and decent people - can't figure out for the life of me how they came to follow such a g'dawful team. Although my nerves wouldn't be able to cope I would love to see them lose by less than one goal as a result of a shonky decision, a la Lynch's slip free last week.
If it wasn't for Eddie & Mick and their continual bleatings I probably wouldn't dislike them too much. Still think Lica is a great player (pity he was homesick and we lost him).

Glenn
26th September 2003, 05:46 PM
Had to laugh , just saw clips of the gf parade on the 4:30 news and shock horror a young kid in a Collingwood jersey , kicking one of those oversized people dressed up in a Brisbane jersey as they were walking along the parade route...nice tosee they are upholding the Collingwood tradition :D

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th September 2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Glenn
Had to laugh , just saw clips of the gf parade on the 4:30 news and shock horror a young kid in a Collingwood jersey , kicking one of those oversized people dressed up in a Brisbane jersey as they were walking along the parade route...nice tosee they are upholding the Collingwood tradition :D

ROTF. These are the sort of things I look for as well.

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th September 2003, 09:33 PM
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85819&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Just beautiful, isn't it?

JF

Ruda Wakening
27th September 2003, 11:03 PM
The guy kneeling down behind him, looks like he's trying to pick pocket him .

JF_Bay22_SCG
27th September 2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Doctor
Thanks to Inside Sport for letting me know this site existed btw.

RWO got a mention on Inside Sport?

Man, this "media slut" is getting way out of hand. :D

JF;)

anne
28th September 2003, 05:24 PM
What an interesting thread. I just read the whole of it for the first time. Now we know what happened in the gf it is even more satisfying. Everthing went their way for 14 or so weeks and the minute something happened ie. Rocca they fell in a heap. However I think the main damage was done by the Melbourne media who continually built them up over the week and they believed what was written. I do feel a bit sorry for Buckley as he didn't get to enjoy his Brownlow week. Finally I hate Collingwood, but not so much the team as Eddie and their feral supporters.

Diego
28th September 2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
The guy kneeling down behind him, looks like he's trying to pick pocket him .

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~diego74/crybaby.gif

Reggi
28th September 2003, 07:17 PM
I must admit whenever I think of Rhys Shaw trying to dummy around Lynch and dropping the footy only to watch Lynch pick it up - it will bring a tear to my eye.

R Barrassi has antagonised them for decades now about their "losers mentality" - they may be able to sit on it for 12 months but eventually the repercussions of yesterday will tear em apart. It always does

Just sit an watch - Love how Malthouse pushed all the blame onto his players - Got home friday night and saw Sheedy shaking his head at C/wood only taking one ruckman into the game - but no Malthouse would never be wrong in not selecting McKee.

Not arf

SWANSBEST
28th September 2003, 08:09 PM
Talk about Collingwood and their feral supporters. Today it was announced that Nigel Lappin was admitted to hospital with a punctured lung . Tonight on the Big Footy site a certain Collingwood fan said that he hoped that " LAPPIN @@@@@@@## DIES ".

A very tasteful effort.

:frown :frown :frown

Diego
28th September 2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by SWANSBEST
Talk about Collingwood and their feral supporters. Today it was announced that Nigel Lappin was admitted to hospital with a punctured lung . Tonight on the Big Footy site a certain Collingwood fan said that he hoped that " LAPPIN @@@@@@@## DIES ".

A very tasteful effort.

:frown :frown :frown

Thats Dr Alf. The lowest of the low at Collingwood.

Xie Shan
28th September 2003, 10:46 PM
This whole Collingwood-hating thing reminds me of an episode of South Park where Cartman (the evil fat kid) suddenly became rich, bought a theme park and had it all, and Kyle (the Jewish kid) was sick in hospital and lost the will to live, as how could there be a God if Cartman of all people could be so happy?

Then, when Kenny died in his theme park Cartman got sued, lost everything, was more miserable than ever (because, he'd actually lived his dream and lost it) and Kyle, his faith in the world restored, recovered.

Compare this little story to Collingwood if you will, seeing they got so close to the prize and lost it, but I guess Cartman is kind of like a Collingwood supporter after all... ;)

Ruda Wakening
28th September 2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Diego
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~diego74/crybaby.gif

LOL !

Cheers Diego :)

JF_Bay22_SCG
4th October 2003, 12:36 AM
Helen and Shane Kelly

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, 1 October 2003 1:16 PM
To: 'Home'
Subject: FW:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, 1 October 2003 12:39 pm
To: 'Matteucci, Bruno'; 'Eddy Canala'; 'Jack
Decandia'; 'Phillip Amato -
Home'; 'Sam Sciancalepore'; Kelly, Helen (WS)
Subject: FW:

AFL
Open Letter to Mr E McGuire
By The Professor
Monday, 29 September 2003

Eddie

Congratulations on successfully reinstating one
of the lost traditions
of Collingwood over the last couple of years. The
Colliwobbles. Having
been a part of that tradition as Collingwood
captain in the 80's, I was
sad to see them buried in 1990 at Victoria Park
but obviously the ghosts
live on. I was immensely proud of being a part of
that time, debunking
the myth that no-one remembers who comes second.
I have tried to bring
that sense of pride to Port Adelaide over the
last three years, but have
mistimed our run and not made the Grand Final at
all. I guess I have a
lot to learn from the "Kings of Choke". It was
not only the way you
lost, but the way you so skilfully set up the
season. I mean, we lost
our captain and captain and others through the
year, and some legitimate
reasons why we didn't get there. But you
engineered a perfect lead-up
for the second successive year, no injuries
(except Lockyer), one key
player suspended (to get the 'us-versus-them'
thing going), home ground
(which we can't duplicate, the AFL has seen to
that), great form (11
from 12), great weather (wet), hobbled opponents,
behind-the-play
incidents (Burns on Brown), and yet you have
masterminded one of the
greatest chokes in history. You even had everyone
believing that it was
your year despite only winning one premiership in
45 years, the same as
Melbourne, Geelong, and St.Kilda. Eddie, I bow
before your greatness.
I've got a gift for you to commemorate your great
achievements. I know
how much you like Port's melodic club song, so I
took the opportunity to
re-write the Collingwood song. I hope to hear it
resonate through your
spiffy new squillion-dollar Olympic Park
headquarters next year where
the fans commemorate the 'Grand Final Choke
Three-peat'.

-----
"To the tune of 'Good old Collingwood Forever'"
There goes another flag forever
We know how to lose a game.
Side by side we stick together
Till we find someone to blame.
See our barrackers crying
As we knew they would.
For the Three-peat is a certainty
For the good, OLD Collingwood.
----

Yours sincerely (snigger)
Mark Williams

PS: Don't know of any jobs going in 2005 do you?

sharpie
19th November 2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by goaldrush
I hate collingwood as well. They just suck

Geez, thanks for that insightful comment

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th February 2004, 10:51 PM
Why am I smiling uncontrollably reading this?!

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/28/1064687670331.html

Disgraceful: Robert Walls tees off at insipid Magpies

September 29, 2003

I feel let down. I?ve been short-changed, fooled, duped and embarrassed. And I don?t even barrack for Collingwood. But I did tip it. And it did not give a yelp. Never, not once at any stage in the game, did the team that I put my faith in show some resolve.

This team took us for a ride. It had so much going for it. Twenty-two fit players, fine form, the all-important week off during the finals, and a travel schedule that was almost non-existent.

If ever a team was poised to perform on the big day, Collingwood was it. But grand finals are something else. You cannot pick and choose what you do on "the" day.

Quite simply, the Brisbane Lions did not and Collingwood did.

There is no point in beating around the bush. Brisbane did not flinch. Not once. Each and every Brisbane player put his body on the line when it was his turn to go. I?m talking supreme courage.

Not one Brisbane player took his eyes off the ball when confronted with a dangerous situation. Not one Brisbane player took a short step or side step when confronted with a collision. Collingwood could not say that.

Last year in the big one, Mick Malthouse?s men were brave. They were entitled to shed a few tears after a narrow defeat. There were no tears shed late Saturday afternoon, and nor should there have been, because the team effort was disgraceful.

Instead of tears shed, there should be some arses kicked. Every second of a grand final is heavily scrutinised. There should be some mightily embarrassed Collingwood players.

While Brisbane stood firm, Collingwood flinched. Shane Woewodin and James Clement chose not to play with reckless abandon. Nor did Rhyce Shaw. They chose at times to look and consider.

Now they will have long summers to do plenty of considering. Richard Cole, backing back, dropped too many marks. He could have made a name for himself by going back uncompromisingly hard into the unknown. But he did not. He chose to tread warily instead.

Today, few Magpies will have physical pain. It's the mental pain that is the problem. That will last forever.
Shane Wakelin allowed himself to be too easily brushed aside in physical contests and Alan Didak got off line when crunch time came. Brodie Holland is a good frontrunner. When his team is up, he goes well. When the team struggles, so does he.

Jason Cloke is yet to prove he can win a kick in a contest. Playing loose in defence is the easiest gig in town, as is coming in from behind to be third man up to fist the ball away in a marking or ruck situation.

When given the chance to earn a kick as a key forward, Cloke could not cope. And Leon Davis is another frontrunner. And do not use size as an excuse, Leon. Get some tapes of John Platten and see what a big heart in a little body can do.

Allan Jeans's speech to his players in the 1989 grand final is football folklore. Jeans told his players they would have to pay a price to win the premiership. That they did. Dermott Brereton, Robert DiPierdomenico, Gary Ayres . . . the list goes on. They put their lives on the line. We heard Simon Black, as he accepted the Norm Smith Medal, say that he would die for his teammates. Do not knock it. Because that's the way the Lions played.
Collingwood did not. They either would not or could not. The coach will cop criticism for his selections and placements. He should not.

He threw his faith in with youth (Tristen Walker, Cloke, Davis, Shaw and Cole). They did not measure up, but neither did most of the senior group.

Leigh Matthews had it easy. He admitted himself, he is in awe of his men. How they dig so deep. Michael Voss sets the example. The rest would be embarrassed not to follow.

Three premierships in a row makes Leigh's Lions the best team I have ever seen. They have to be favourites for next year's flag. As for the Magpies, I do not know where they go. They failed the ultimate test quite miserably. A whopping loss like that could set them back considerably. A dream run crashed ingloriously at the final hurdle.

And let us hope there is no whingeing about Anthony Rocca's suspension. He got what he deserved. It was a stupid, costly, unnecessary, undisciplined act.

Mick, Eddie (McGuire), Balmey (Neil Balme), please tell him so. Do not let big Anthony feel he has been hard done by.

There is no doubt the Magpies improved this season. There is also no doubt that, come crunch time, they were embarrassingly meek.

weapon
24th February 2004, 08:23 PM
My goodness, what a teary eyed bunch of new-to-the-game battlers we have! Fancy tearing up about such non-issues, and even having having a hate Collingwood section(though it affords me this reply!).

Swans have a LONG way to go to get near a VIc based club in terms of flags, loyalty, stand-alone financial security and loyal supporter base, so relax, get the Kleenex, stop crying, and support rather than bitch.

Maybe then we can become a fair dinkum footy state.

The Weapon

robbieando
25th February 2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by weapon
My goodness, what a teary eyed bunch of new-to-the-game battlers we have! Fancy tearing up about such non-issues, and even having having a hate Collingwood section(though it affords me this reply!)

You know a moron is born every minute, surprisingly a Collingwood fans is also born every minute.

Swans have a LONG way to go to get near a VIc based club in terms of flags

We are better off in that department than St Kilda and the Bulldogs are, so I say we aren't a long way off that.

loyalty

15,000 Swans living in Melbourne still follow the side to matches with plenty more still holding something for this club. You want to talk about loyalty, how about to talk to people like me.

stand-alone financial security and loyal supporter base

Let me guess your one of the people who think the salary cap concessions are handouts not something we have to pay out of our own pockets? On our financial security, we have no debts unlike the Dees, Dogs, Blues, Cats and Roos. Loyal supporter base well I doubt we'll fall below 20,000 members ever again, pity the Dogs, Roos and Dees can't say the same.

so relax, get the Kleenex, stop crying, and support rather than bitch.

Hmm pot kettle black