PDA

View Full Version : Goodes and Magic out of All-Stars game

liz
7th February 2007, 01:06 AM
Suspect many of us were surprised that they ever looked likely to play given the Swans' recent approach to the pre-seasons of the more seasoned players.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21184908%255E20322,00.html

liz
7th February 2007, 04:33 AM
This article puts a different spin on things. Apparently they want to play but aren't deemed good enough! (or fit enough - close enough!)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/swans-stars-overlooked-for-allstars/2007/02/06/1170524096757.html

ScottH
7th February 2007, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by liz
This article puts a different spin on things. Apparently they want to play but aren't deemed good enough! (or fit enough - close enough!)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/swans-stars-overlooked-for-allstars/2007/02/06/1170524096757.html Weird, I would supect an partially fit Goodes would still be far superior than most of the other indigenous players.

Same with MOL, just plonk him in the goal square, if he is not fit enough and he'd still run rings around most defenders.

stellation
7th February 2007, 07:24 AM
Goody Stella is going absolutley nuts right now about it, she is probably more offended than Adam and Michael are over it.

ROK Lobster
7th February 2007, 07:36 AM
MO'L and Goodes left out. Hello, this smacks of racism. I bet no white players have been left out!

ScottH
7th February 2007, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
MO'L and Goodes left out. Hello, this smacks of racism. I bet no white players have been left out! Good point.

swantastic
7th February 2007, 08:12 AM
Good i'm lald there not playing no injury worries then.

reigning premier
7th February 2007, 09:42 AM
"It's not a matter of injury, their preparation is not quite up to it," he said. "They're fabulous players and they were both desperate to play. They're probably a couple of weeks behind ?"

No @@@@ sherlock.... it's the PRE-season and no one has played a game in 4mths....

Think these people need to let go of it and realise that this, at best, is a practice game (at worst a very average PR stunt) that won't be showcasing any "silky smooth" skills.... well not a month before the NAB cup even starts anyway.....

hammo
7th February 2007, 10:20 AM
It sounds like the organisers are taking this game far too seriously.

I am sure the club are quietly pleased with the decision but Goodesy and MOL do seem upset.

Damien
7th February 2007, 10:37 AM
Good stuff, I am sure they are disapointed, but this is good news for the club.

ScottH
7th February 2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Damien
Good stuff, I am sure they are disapointed, but this is good news for the club. I wonder if they'll both now play next Friday?

They weren't going to play at NSO, due to them, supposedly, playing this w/e.

Claret
7th February 2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
I wonder if they'll both now play next Friday?

They weren't going to play at NSO, due to them, supposedly, playing this w/e. Not too sure if I'd want Goodes and MOL playing on the hard NSO track with their knees.

If Jaques scored 300+ there on the weekend I reckon that the centre square (at least) is hard as.

reigning premier
7th February 2007, 12:32 PM
I concur.... despite the fact that they may very well be disappointed in being not selected, I for one am quite happy for them to avoid risking injuring themselves for a nothing game...

robbieando
7th February 2007, 08:22 PM
As for the NSO game and the 1st Round NAB Cup game, even if they played this Friday they weren't going to play those matches anyway and with them now not playing they still won't play until after the first NAB Cup match. So this basically doesn't change their pre-season buildup other than the fact they won't be playing a game this Friday.

stellation
7th February 2007, 08:43 PM
I think that is a fair assumption Robbie; the Swans have said they may play more of the senior group than normal to get used to the new marking rules, but out of Goodes and O'Loughlin it would be Michael that this is most relevant to, based on normal Swans behaviour with Michael I'd be suprised to see him ready for for pre-season games this far out from the season (it isn't far to go but it is Michael O'Loughlin).

liz
7th February 2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
As for the NSO game and the 1st Round NAB Cup game, even if they played this Friday they weren't going to play those matches anyway and with them now not playing they still won't play until after the first NAB Cup match. So this basically doesn't change their pre-season buildup other than the fact they won't be playing a game this Friday.

Don't necessarily agree with that assumption. The Swans would have factored some game time on Friday into their pre-season schedules and if they're not going to get it, it is entirely possible that they will substitute it with time either Friday week or the following weekend, particularly for Goodes.

O'Loughlin has shown he can turn up for the start of the season with little or no match time behind him, so maybe they'll keep him completely wrapped in cotton wool for a time.

satchmopugdog
7th February 2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by liz
[B

O'Loughlin has shown he can turn up for the start of the season with little or no match time behind him, so maybe they'll keep him completely wrapped in cotton wool for a time. [/B]

I can remember one year in Round 1 where MOL played a blinder and got 3 Brownlow votes. I think it was against St.Kilda and Ryan Fitzgerald kicked a bag on debut. So he can start well.

liz
7th February 2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
I can remember one year in Round 1 where MOL played a blinder and got 3 Brownlow votes. I think it was against St.Kilda and Ryan Fitzgerald kicked a bag on debut. So he can start well.

That's going back a fair few years though. Would have been the start of 2000 if it was Fitzgerald's debut. Doesn't time go quickly?!!

A 23 yo Magic versus a 30yo Magic with dodgy knees are different prospects.

DST
7th February 2007, 09:48 PM
It would seem from Roos on SEN tonight that both the club and players were keen to play but due to their late start would only allow them to play a half each.

Michael McLean as is his right to do as coach decided he couldn't select them under those conditions.

In the end probably good for us.

Interestingly, West Coast also had the same issue with their reps as well and they are not playing.

DST
:D

AnnieH
8th February 2007, 12:04 AM
Thank the Footy Gods ... all hail the footy gods!!:D

Too much risk of injury to play them too early.

Claret
8th February 2007, 06:46 AM
It seems there was a deal made that would see Goodes play 7 minutes per quarter and Magic 5. McLean just changed his mind, claiming he didn't want the game to become a farce.

Swans stars axed to save game's credibility (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21189792%5E19742,00.html)

reigning premier
8th February 2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Claret
McLean just changed his mind, claiming he didn't want the game to become a farce.

Swans stars axed to save game's credibility (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21189792%5E19742,00.html)

No... It was already a farce....

And didn't someone say there's no such thing as bad publicity?

This games means about as much as the one we played in LA a few years back.....

dread and might
8th February 2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by reigning premier
I concur.... despite the fact that they may very well be disappointed in being not selected, I for one am quite happy for them to avoid risking injuring themselves for a nothing game...

What you said

reigning premier
8th February 2007, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Claret
It seems there was a deal made that would see Goodes play 7 minutes per quarter and Magic 5. McLean just changed his mind, claiming he didn't want the game to become a farce.

Think this all-star game is heading the same way as the AFL state of origin in the credibility stakes.....

timthefish
8th February 2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by reigning premier
Think this all-star game is heading the same way as the AFL state of origin in the credibility stakes.....

it's a slippery slope. as soon as the clubs feel for whatever reason it's not worth the risk or whatever then these kinds of decisions start happening more and more until it's completely devalued. if the aflpa had the guts they could stand up for these things that the players supposedly find important.

Sanecow
8th February 2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by timthefish
if the aflpa had the guts they could stand up for these things that the players supposedly find important.

Protecting the anonymity of drug users is their #1 priority.

TheHood
8th February 2007, 09:12 PM
The All Stars game is usually very satisfying because we're all hanging for a Sherrin kicked in anger by Feb.

I'm disappointed that the boys couldn't play because when Goodesy appeared in 2003, he looked like hercules that would tear the game apart and that year he did.

He and Mick should have been flown up there just for the exposure and good of the game at full AFL expense.

This injury protection talk is a bit OTT. Footy is there to be played and cotton wool is for small chicks to sleep in.

Sanecow
8th February 2007, 10:35 PM
If four or five clubs do it, it becomes a farce.

source (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2007/02/07/1170524164734.html)

McLean said if 11 players were on the bench and not nine, O'Loughlin and Goodes would have been accommodated.

source (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21189792%5E19742,00.html)

Playing for 7 minutes a quarter would make it a farce but a nine man bench doesn't. :rolleyes:

Nico
10th February 2007, 10:45 AM
It was just another Sheedy "it makes me feel good" project. Let him play with his pet project but I am quite happy for our players to steer clear of it. Purely and simply a Kevin Sheedy self promotion.

Lance Franklin pulled out because of a knee strain but played yesterday morning in a scratch match in Tassie. He didn't cop a schalacking from the press.