PDA

View Full Version : Deja Vu...

Chow-Chicker
31st March 2007, 10:57 PM
I'm just as gutted as the GF.......same nightmare result, same nightmare margin.

DeadlyAkkuret
31st March 2007, 11:00 PM
Same crappy Jolly, same crappy Jude, same crappy first half:( and what was Roos doing with Goodes? he should be roaming instead of tagging Judd. They're completely different players FFS.

mpr104
31st March 2007, 11:00 PM
I'm just as gutted as the GF.......same nightmare result, same nightmare margin.

Our inaccuracy and inability to use the ball going forward cost us. We had 20 more inside 50s, beat them at the clearances, but they were able to kick the goals that counted. :confused:

satchmopugdog
31st March 2007, 11:02 PM
At least Goodes did a lot more good things in the Grand Final. I think he is wonderful but tonight was the worst game I have seen him play for a long time.

McVeigh took off the head and put on the turnip.

satchmopugdog
31st March 2007, 11:03 PM
Same brillant Judd

That bloke is a freak.

Wirrapanda great too.

mpr104
31st March 2007, 11:03 PM
McVeigh took off the head and put on the turnip.

Missed two goals he should have nailed (a third on the run), but the crucial one was the one in the last quater.

Carolyn
31st March 2007, 11:05 PM
Same good game for Teddy.

satchmopugdog
31st March 2007, 11:06 PM

Agreed

Blood Oath
31st March 2007, 11:15 PM
AFL & WWE,what is the difference? After watching tonights game i don't know the difference! They played all over us for a half with many errors handing them goals but we should have won the game! Spida & mcveigh, Tadgh rushed behind grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

NMWBloods
31st March 2007, 11:19 PM
Why should we have won the game?

DeadlyAkkuret
31st March 2007, 11:19 PM
AFL & WWE,what is the difference? After watching tonights game i don't know the difference! They played all over us for a half with many errors handing them goals but we should have won the game! Spida & mcveigh, Tadgh rushed behind grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

In the end, that's what it comes down to. If they were full strength i wouldn't be as upset, infact i'd just be applauding another great game between great rivals, but this is the one we should have won, and won comfortably. Our skills usually improve as the year goes on though, so i'm not worrying too much just yet. If we don't beat Richmond next week, then i'll panic!

DeadlyAkkuret
31st March 2007, 11:21 PM

Uh, the little matter of them missing Cousins, Cox, Fletcher and Embley? Sydney should be able to account for the Eagles with those players missing, it was an embarrassment to lose even by a point.

R-1
31st March 2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah, this Sydney v West Coast close games thing is becoming a bit absurd.

KirksSocks
31st March 2007, 11:32 PM
Uh, the little matter of them missing Cousins, Cox, Fletcher and Embley? Sydney should be able to account for the Eagles with those players missing, it was an embarrassment to lose even by a point.

Not only that two key players one being the best ruckman in the comp were out prior to the game - against our "highly rated" ruck division and we got a has been and a Daddy jnr.

I would have been happy with a 3 goal loss but 1 friggen point when half on the wce stars where missing. It is friggen embarrassing.

Sanecow
31st March 2007, 11:33 PM

Fewer injuries, more inside 50's, more shots on goal. Frustrating as hell to lose with that score line (nothing new though!).

R-1
31st March 2007, 11:35 PM
On the plus side, we've probably still started a bit better than we did last year.

NMWBloods
31st March 2007, 11:36 PM
Well yes - on paper before the game we should have won, but once the game started we didn't deserve it. We should have won by 5 goals or more, but we played like idiots.

ScottH
31st March 2007, 11:39 PM
Tadgh rushed behind I said at the time. "That is the winning point"

"Tahgd"

DeadlyAkkuret
31st March 2007, 11:42 PM
On the plus side, we've probably still started a bit better than we did last year.

Yeah, maybe, we still didn't get 4 points though. I'm going to give them a week or too before really laying the boot in, see if the skills and brains improve. The exception to that rule is Jolly, no more chances, just get Doyle in there as soon as he's fit! and we need to shop around for a new FB at the end of this year, and show Leo the door.

Chow-Chicker
31st March 2007, 11:44 PM
Absolutely! The similarities in both the GF and this game is amazing....

NMWBloods
31st March 2007, 11:45 PM
And Goodes kicked the first goal of the last quarter too!

Chow-Chicker
31st March 2007, 11:45 PM
Shouldn't have......and shouldn't have got so close, but we did.

DeadlyAkkuret
31st March 2007, 11:47 PM
And Goodes kicked the first goal of the last quarter too!

And i feel like offing Hunter, uncanny!

KirksSocks
31st March 2007, 11:50 PM
One thing i couldn't handle was the praise Kerr was getting. No matter how much this criminal played a blinder he deserves no respect. I couldn't help but hate him even more and just be cynical every time he kept taking a big sniff of air. I hate him and Hunter.

And Judd..dad was a swans fan..make dad proud and wear the red and white at the end of the year. West coast can choose who ever they want..frigg take jolly for free..perth life might be good for him junior and the missers.

Judd what a freak.

DeadlyAkkuret
31st March 2007, 11:56 PM
One thing i couldn't handle was the praise Kerr was getting. No matter how much this criminal played a blinder he deserves no respect. I couldn't help but hate him even more and just be cynical every time he kept taking a big sniff of air. I hate him and Hunter.

And Judd..dad was a swans fan..make dad proud and wear the red and white at the end of the year. West coast can choose who ever they want..frigg take jolly for free..perth life might be good for him junior and the missers.

Judd what a freak.

Exactly what i said at Big Footy, ban him and Cousins for 12 months and teach them a serious lesson. It has nothing to do with the WC rivalry either, they've embarrassed our code and now they expect us to forget about that because the footy has started? Not in your life!!

satchmopugdog
31st March 2007, 11:57 PM
What were Hawthorn and St.Kilda thinking passing him over in that draft? He is fantastic. gva e all of the people who try to play on him tonight a football clinic.

DeadlyAkkuret
31st March 2007, 11:58 PM
What were Hawthorn and St.Kilda thinking passing him over in that draft? He is fantastic. gva e all of the people who try to play on him tonight a football clinic.

:confused:

NMWBloods
31st March 2007, 11:59 PM
I'm guessing Satch was referring to Judd, who was great again tonight.

KirksSocks
1st April 2007, 12:00 AM
Exactly what i said at Big Footy, ban him and Cousins for 12 months and teach them a serious lesson. It has nothing to do with the WC rivalry either, they've embarrassed our code and now they expect us to forget about that because the footy has started? Not in your life!!

To think that bandwagoner Walls mentioned that Kerr should or is tipping Kerr to win a Brownlow? How bad will that reflect on the AFL. He could rack up 40 posses and kick 10 goals..he is still a criminal and has been let off by a very soft AFL.

The NRL are laughing at the AFL at the moment and the arrogance shown by Andy D and his cohorts of yes men ejaculates. And it @@@@es me off.

nat
1st April 2007, 12:05 AM
Ah did you guys see what Staker did after he kicked a goal in the second quarter? That stupid thing Ben Cousins does. Moron..

desredandwhite
1st April 2007, 12:14 AM
Ah did you guys see what Staker did after he kicked a goal in the second quarter? That stupid thing Ben Cousins does. Moron..

Urrrggghhh I spotted that too. Slimy... :(

Kerr and Judd were just unbelievable. We have no one of that class in the midfield - maybe Goodes, but he never seems to string together amazing quarter after amazing quarter like Judd can.

Dumb footy Swans. They played our game in the first half, and embarrassingly, did it much better than we did.

We never should have allowed them to get to that lead in the first place, no matter how good the comeback.

Still, as has been mentioned, this is actually still a better than average start to the year..... Onto next week, where hopefully, upon everything that is holy and good, we'll play much better. Of course, I'm going to that game, so best not to get your hopes up...

nat
1st April 2007, 12:16 AM
I just felt like screaming every time Judd got anywhere near the ball.

KirksSocks
1st April 2007, 12:18 AM
Judd is a freak..even when there seems to be no option he finds a player free. His thinking is 4 plays ahead of the actual play.

How could someone be so friggen good!

:eek: :eek:

Jeffers1984
1st April 2007, 12:21 AM
It's a simple case that the Eagles have figured us out. First half was an exact replica of the 06 Grand Final. Eagles flooded the @@@@ of our forward line and that is why we looked slow and disorganized. Every kick to a lead (in the F50) had to be inch perfect because there were so much blue and white trying to get in spaces, and when you have J Bolton trying to find a guy on a short lead then you know your in trouble.

Have a look at the 06 Qualifying final. Worsfold played the whole game man on man which left a more open F50 for the Swans.

Roos should of seen it happening but didn't react quick enough.

Chow-Chicker
1st April 2007, 12:27 AM
It's a simple case that the Eagles have figured us out. First half was an exact replica of the 06 Grand Final. Eagles flooded the @@@@ of our forward line and that is why we looked slow and disorganized. Every kick to a lead (in the F50) had to be inch perfect because there were so much blue and white trying to get in spaces, and when you have J Bolton trying to find a guy on a short lead then you know your in trouble.

Have a look at the 06 Qualifying final. Worsfold played the whole game man on man which left a more open F50 for the Swans.

Roos should of seen it happening but didn't react quick enough.
They've only figured half of us out....they keep letting us back into the game and almost stealing it...

desredandwhite
1st April 2007, 12:28 AM
They've only figured half of us out....they keep letting us back into the game and almost stealing it...

Cruel bastards!!!! ;)

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 12:29 AM
Roos should of seen it happening but didn't react quick enough.He's had six months to plan for it!! :rolleyes:

AussieAnge
1st April 2007, 12:30 AM
Eagles flooded the @@@@ of our forward line

Jeffers don't you realise that only Sydney flood other teams merely get "numbers behind the ball?";)

ugg
1st April 2007, 12:31 AM
Dumbety Dumb Dumb.

Hall playing on after marking. Hall trying to take on the whole of the WC defence. Dumb. Dumb.
Jolly getting Hall's free kick reversed. Dumb.
Everitt's clumsy attempt at slowing his opponent and giving a priceless 50m penalty goal. Dumb.
Jude Bolton, after numerous years in the AFL still can't kick to save his life. Dumb.
Jarrad McVeigh *sigh* I still think he's deciding what to do with the ball. Dumb Dumb.

Tuhob
1st April 2007, 12:35 AM
V.disappointing game. Poor skill errors particularly kicking for goal. Like people have said, very reminescent of last years grand final.

In terms of the players, I think Goodes was too negative concentrating more on tagging Judd than making his own plays.

Jolly does not seem to offer much at the moment. Gives away too many free kicks and should have kicked a goal.

Everitt just looked unfit. Hopefully his fitness will improve as he definitely offers more than Jolly atm.

Keneally played fairly well. A couple of times he should have looked for options rather than going the long bomb.

Hall was obviously v.frustrated. Double/triple teamed didn't make it easy for him. Still worked hard. MOL had the same problems.

O'Keefe offered some run and I thought Amon was pretty good in this regard as well. Eski was also a good link man.

Jude should change his boots as his foot skills were poor tonight. Missed a very gettable shot at goal and kicked straight to an eagle. McVeigh also missed some shots at goal which he should have kicked.

Craig Bolton and Ted played fairly well in defence. Barry seemed slow and was often quite a bit behind on the lead.

Davis, Phillips, Vogels were fairly anonymous. So was dempster. Ablett offered something as did Nic at some stages. Kirk got quite a lot of possies.

nat
1st April 2007, 12:39 AM
Davis, Phillips, Vogels were fairly anonymous. So was dempster. Ablett offered something as did Nic at some stages. Kirk got quite a lot of possies.

Davis got hardly any game time. Very frustrating.

Glenn
1st April 2007, 12:40 AM
Just a thought, obviously someone has to seperate the head of hall from the rest of his body before they get their number taken :mad:
Sydney had there chances to win it, and thankfully the 2nd half was better than the first (it had to be)
On the positive side, least this is only round 1 and not the grand final.

Glenn
1st April 2007, 12:42 AM
And i feel like offing Hunter, uncanny!

Not alone, all I can say his hair dresser must have the same drug supplier as Cousins ;)

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 12:46 AM
Just a thought, obviously someone has to seperate the head of hall from the rest of his body before they get their number taken :mad:
I didn't think there was anything untoward in either of those tackles.

Mike_B
1st April 2007, 12:49 AM
Dumbety Dumb Dumb.

Hall playing on after marking. Hall trying to take on the whole of the WC defence. Dumb. Dumb.
Jolly getting Hall's free kick reversed. Dumb.
Everitt's clumsy attempt at slowing his opponent and giving a priceless 50m penalty goal. Dumb.
Jude Bolton, after numerous years in the AFL still can't kick to save his life. Dumb.
Jarrad McVeigh *sigh* I still think he's deciding what to do with the ball. Dumb Dumb.
Yep, we just played dumb football the entire night. I'm not concerned so much by the fact we lost per se, but more by the fact that the players didn't seem to have the ability to realise that their style wasn't going to work and something needed to chage and the guys in the coaches box didn't make a change either. While the players ultimately have to wear the blame, they definitely weren't helped at all by Roos and the team.

Glenn
1st April 2007, 12:50 AM
First one was definitely high, and in the era of the AFL cracking down on anything over the shoulder wouldn't be surprised if it is looked at more closely by the match review.

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 01:08 AM
If people get reported for legitimate attempts to tackle that happen to be high then the game is finished.

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 01:09 AM
Yep, we just played dumb football the entire night. I'm not concerned so much by the fact we lost per se, but more by the fact that the players didn't seem to have the ability to realise that their style wasn't going to work and something needed to chage and the guys in the coaches box didn't make a change either. While the players ultimately have to wear the blame, they definitely weren't helped at all by Roos and the team.
Our players aren't that smart. They are well drilled.

peterss
1st April 2007, 01:13 AM
Thought that Kirk and Tadgh played good for you tonight and were probably your best.

Glenn
1st April 2007, 01:13 AM
If people get reported for legitimate attempts to tackle that happen to be high then the game is finished.

A legitimate attempt to tackle is sticking one arm out to grab someone?

liz
1st April 2007, 02:35 AM
First one was definitely high, and in the era of the AFL cracking down on anything over the shoulder wouldn't be surprised if it is looked at more closely by the match review.

Not unless we're switching codes to League.

What the AFL is trying to crack down on is players bumping opponents who are vulnerable because they have their heads down over the ball. If the coathanger becomes a reportable offence, we'll see handfuls of players outed every week.

liz
1st April 2007, 02:51 AM
Thought that Kirk and Tadgh played good for you tonight and were probably your best.

Kirk was the instigator for the second half revival. It wasn't so much any brilliance ala Kerr or Judd, but come the second half, his intensity was visibly lifted and eventually he dragged enough team mates along with him to turn things around.

You're right about Kennelly too - he was the one who started taking a few risks and running hard, helped well by Malceski. But most of them contributed something in the second half once the ball started to run their way, in contrast to the stodgy nothingness of the first half.

And I know McVeigh missed goals he should have kicked, tagged Kerr and Judd and was beaten by both, and was caught asleep when Sydney had one last chance to snatch the game, but I thought his start of the third quarter was very encouraging. He seemed to be the first midfielder to really respond to Kirk's lift and was instrumental in getting the ball moving in the right direction to set the scene for the second half. His 'negatives' outweigh the 'positives' but I thought that was a promising sign that he is maybe close to becoming an important creative force through the middle.

Triple B
1st April 2007, 02:52 AM
Davis got hardly any game time. Very frustrating.

Left the ground with what looked like a lower leg injury late in the first quarter. Went to the rooms with Dr Gibbs, presumably for a jab.

10 minutes into the second quarter, Davis and the doc are trotting back to the rooms again, presumably for another jab.

I wouldn't read too much into Davis not having much gametime other than he was injured. No doubt we'll read about it tomorrow.

Mr_Juicy
1st April 2007, 10:19 AM
Why should we have won the game?I think you will find if you read his whole post, that he gave three reasons why we should have in fact won the game. I think he is lamenting on lost opportunities as to why we lost the game.. Qui?

Mr_Juicy
1st April 2007, 10:32 AM
Very true. Judd should be in trouble for that poor tackle, but I bet he won't be.

Everitt did some nice work in the rucks. First half though our players couldn't read it. Second half we were getting some good, clear possessions from Spider's taps. We should get some good value from him if he gets himself match fit and stays injury free.

Jude Bolton should be dropped for his efforts. Appaling.

Mr_Juicy
1st April 2007, 10:33 AM
If people get reported for legitimate attempts to tackle that happen to be high then the game is finished.You have to protect the head at all costs. It was not a legitimate tackle, it was reckless.

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 11:02 AM
A legitimate attempt to tackle is sticking one arm out to grab someone?
Yes.

I don't recall anyone here saying Hall should have been reported for his coathanger on Wirrpanda in the '05GF!

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 11:05 AM
But most of them contributed something in the second half once the ball started to run their way, in contrast to the stodgy nothingness of the first half.We can lack someone to spark when the team is in a rut. It does happen through what seems like a slow, irresistable force of will, such as it did last night or in the '06GF, but I'd like to see an individual player grab the game when we're down and make something happen. Goodes and Hall are capable of that, but did not last night (and do not do it enough).

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 11:06 AM
I think you will find if you read his whole post, that he gave three reasons why we should have in fact won the game. I think he is lamenting on lost opportunities as to why we lost the game.. Qui?
Thanks Mr_Timely but he wasn't really that clear!

Chow-Chicker
1st April 2007, 11:07 AM
You have to protect the head at all costs. It was not a legitimate tackle, it was reckless.

Gee, if we go this path then every knock to the head etc will be deemed reckless, reportable and suspendable. Can you image motor racing going down the path that of every collision, a driver will be charged with dangerous driving?

liz
1st April 2007, 01:13 PM
We can lack someone to spark when the team is in a rut. It does happen through what seems like a slow, irresistable force of will, such as it did last night or in the '06GF, but I'd like to see an individual player grab the game when we're down and make something happen. Goodes and Hall are capable of that, but did not last night (and do not do it enough).

Kirk is capable - and as I posted earlier, I think it was he who set the standard in the second half. As he did in the GF last year.

And I think Hall was trying very hard to spark the team last night. It can be hard to do it when you're playing in the forward line and the problems are happening further up the ground. But while his play-on tactics and attempted tackle busting didn't always work, I think it was a sign of him desperately trying to make something happen within that horrendously clogged up forward line when the more traditional approach wasn't working. Even though it was hardly one of his classic games, he was one of the few who tried to play a four quarter game, I reckon.

Xie Shan
1st April 2007, 01:23 PM
Jeffers don't you realise that only Sydney flood other teams merely get "numbers behind the ball?";)

I don't take many pictures during the game, but I couldn't resist taking this one (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/441435106_00dedb7cd9_o.jpg) demonstrating the Eagles' proficiency at "getting numbers behind the ball" ;). This is our forward line in the second quarter...

And I agree, Roos did not seem to react to this. Maybe our forward line has become too predictable, we missed Schneider last night. Phillips needs some extended time up forward to show what he can do, his lack of experience against someone like Wirrpanda was telling.

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 01:35 PM
Kirk is capable - and as I posted earlier, I think it was he who set the standard in the second half. As he did in the GF last year.He is, but I feel it's more a slower, grinding process rather than setting the team alight, which Goodes could do.

And I think Hall was trying very hard to spark the team last night. It can be hard to do it when you're playing in the forward line and the problems are happening further up the ground. But while his play-on tactics and attempted tackle busting didn't always work, I think it was a sign of him desperately trying to make something happen within that horrendously clogged up forward line when the more traditional approach wasn't working. Even though it was hardly one of his classic games, he was one of the few who tried to play a four quarter game, I reckon.Yep, he definitely tried, but probably too hard. Should have just gone back to basics.

annew
1st April 2007, 02:54 PM
I think that Goodes is wasted as a tagger no matter that he is against the best in the AFL. Goodes should be given the same freedom as Judd is given, stop using him to negate the best player and let the opposition try and negate him. Goodes just does not play well in a negative role, he is an attacking player first and foremost and still played the best footy of his career as a ruck man where he could go wherever he wanted.

Mr_Juicy
1st April 2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks Mr_Timely but he wasn't really that clear!
I'm sorry I don't spend as much time on here as you apparantly do. And yes it was made abundantly clear to me from the start.

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 03:44 PM
I'm sorry I don't spend as much time on here as you apparantly do. And yes it was made abundantly clear to me from the start.
Perhaps you could then have noticed that the issue you referred to had already been discussed and clarified... but you probably did and just preferred your usual approach...

Mr_Juicy
1st April 2007, 06:02 PM
Perhaps you could then have noticed that the issue you referred to had already been discussed and clarified... but you probably did and just preferred your usual approach...Aaaah yes. My usual approach. How does that go again?

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 06:06 PM
Aaaah yes. My usual approach. How does that go again?
There are lots of reasons why a team "should" win a match or not - I was clarifying what his were, as made clear in subsequent discussions.

You know what your usual approach is - you use the same one with each incarnation.

DeadlyAkkuret
1st April 2007, 06:52 PM
I don't take many pictures during the game, but I couldn't resist taking this one (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/441435106_00dedb7cd9_o.jpg) demonstrating the Eagles' proficiency at "getting numbers behind the ball" ;). This is our forward line in the second quarter...

That's amazing isn't it. If that were us, we'd be "ruining the game", "playing boring football", but when it's the Eagles it's "getting numbers back" :rolleyes:

ugg
1st April 2007, 07:01 PM

And I agree, Roos did not seem to react to this. Maybe our forward line has become too predictable, we missed Schneider last night. Phillips needs some extended time up forward to show what he can do, his lack of experience against someone like Wirrpanda was telling.
Haha, I'm sitting about four rows down from you. I can even see the back of my head in the picture.