PDA

View Full Version : Collingwood v Carlton

Angelic Upstart
27th July 2003, 05:33 PM
Good stuff Camporeale, Buckley and Hulme - adding a bit of interest to the "blockbuster". I just hope it erupts into an all-in-ball and both clubs get massive mellee fines.

SXP
27th July 2003, 05:52 PM
No such luck, Carlton was properly trashed, something Swans were suppose to do a week ago. This will be another argument in Melb media that Swans won't have any chance comes September. You can imagine what the headlines will be tomorrow for this win. Magpies will become suddenly a premiership favourites!:rolleyes:

NMWBloods
27th July 2003, 05:56 PM
And you look at the great boost to Collingwood's percentage, which would be critical relative to us, and you see why last week was so frustrating.

footyhead
28th July 2003, 12:45 PM
And you look at the great boost to Collingwood's percentage, which would be critical relative to us, and you see why last week was so frustrating. [/B][/QUOTE]
Thats bullsh i t
The extra 20 points accounts for between I/2 and 1 % which is nothing.

NMWBloods
28th July 2003, 01:43 PM
Thats bullsh i t

Perhaps you should learn some maths before commenting!

We beat Carlton by 31pts. Collingwood beat Carlton by 73pts.

If you increase Carlton's score by 42pts so the difference is the same as ours, their percentage would drop to 120.1%, compared to 123.5% currently. That is a drop of 3.4%, and would mean they were only 1.0% above us.

If you increase our score by 42pts against Carlton, then our percentage jumps to 122.0%, an increase of 2.9%.

So if the results were the other way around we would have a small buffer against Collingwood, whereas they now have the percentage benefit, which could be crucial in determining the final eight.

Even more damning if you also include their recent percentage boosting victory over Freo, compared to us just falling over the line.

So... do you have any more words of wisdom...

Sid
28th July 2003, 04:26 PM
I'm disappointed i didnt see the game. Also, i wrote this post to get 100 posts in total. Joy...

sydnophile
28th July 2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by footyhead
Thats bullsh i t

Some simple mathematical facts are:
1) Collingwood currently have 1465pts kicked against them.
2) One percent of that is 14.65pts.
3) Therefore every extra 20 pts is worth 1.36% to them.

So beating Carlton by 73 points increased their percentage by 5%.

The original point was that scoring a good margin IS important, even at this stage, especially given how close the final 4 is.
I think that point would be hard to dispute.

footyhead
30th July 2003, 05:41 PM
Point taken, I actually mistook the filthy woods final score. Sorry about that