PDA

View Full Version : Bring on Richmond! (Richmond pre match discussion)

DeadlyAkkuret
2nd April 2007, 08:47 PM
Okay okay, i think we've analyzed the Sydney V WCE game to shreds, and it's prehaps time to focus on the next game, against the lowly but not to be underestimated Tigers. I'm going to run through a few basic things that need to be changed/addressed if we want to 'comfortably' defeat Richmond.

. Let Goodes roam, first and foremost. This man should never tag, under no circumstances. He's arguably our biggest weapon and most difficult match-up, hence we must take advantage of that. IMO he could be used in the ruck more often than he is, around the ground.

. Our players need to stop over thinking the situation, and looking for the perfect pass, because it wont always eventuate. Stop being Hall conscious and just pass it to a free, leading forward. The first option is usually the best!

. Everitt isn't as good at kicking for goal as i thought he was, and would serve us better as a link man through the middle, and would do wonders as our loose man in defence, as Leo needs all the help he can get. Do we really need more forwards?

. Get Vogels out of the team, seriously. The Richmond game is the perfect time to throw Jesse White into defence and see how he handles it. Worst case scenario he doesn't fit in and concedes a goal or two, which we should be able to deal with against a team ranked so far below us. Best case scenario, we find the big, strong defender that we desperately need!

Frog
2nd April 2007, 11:58 PM
Agree on Goodes - He is a creator, not a stopper, he must be allowed to roam, wherever he wants - Usually, he is in the right spot at the right time

On paper, we have one of the best forward setups - Hall centric is OK, especially with the new rules - but only if Hall is ready. Our kicking, and subsequently delivery into the forward 50, left a lot to be desired - Not something you can blame Bazza for - Bazza needs to take the state of play into account, the deliveries he has had so far in a game and how many more he is going to get (in that game) before he decides to play on ... There are times when the 50 metre line seems to tell them to play on, because they are too far out to score. They don't back themselves. Most times an even 50/50 chance in the goalsquare is better than losing the ball on a stupid play-on. They are not over-thinking, they're just not thinking.

Spider hasn't played since June/July last year in an AFL match. He had an operation. He came to Sydney full of wanting to prove himself - He has done a full pre-season from all reports. He has had one game back and seemed to throw off the cobwebs late in the game - I am giving him the benefit of the doubt - He was rusty, fit, but underplayed, sluggish, but got better as the game wore on - and I still believe he can be as good as he was a few years ago. He belongs in the attacking half of the field - I'd back him to be a better kick for goal than Jolly.

We seem to have a very talented list of youngsters from all reserves reports. I'm sure the powers that be will have seen what Vogels did, and if team balance requires he be replaced by someone else, then it will happen. But if he has what it takes to tackle a Richmond opponent, perhaps he will stay - The Tigers ain't the Eagles - They play a different style of footy, maybe one that Vogels plays better against - Horses for courses. He was not the only one out there last Saturday.

DeadlyAkkuret
3rd April 2007, 12:09 AM
Wow, my thread became a Sticky, how cool! but onto all things football...

I wasn't necessarily giving up on Spida as an attacking option, but our backline seems to need more help than our forward line at the moment. A dropped mark by Jolly in our forward 50, is likely to do less damage than a dropped mark in our backline, and he does get a serious case of butter fingers most of the time. Perhaps Everitt could start the game as a roaming, attacking ruckman, but drift back if things aren't going our way? i didn't see him in the backline on Saturday night, am i blind or did he not get a stint down there?

Hall, in general, appears to be a pretty smart footballer, and i probably critisized his performance too much, but having thought it over more logically, i think his rampages through packs were mistaken for stupidity or arrogance, when he was really just trying to create something, when the options weren't exactly presenting themself. He and Micky were double and triple teamed on Saturday night, and we failed to counter that.

On Vogels, i have to disagree. I don't think the horses for courses really applies here, a competent backman has to be reliable in all circumstances, not just brought in for weaker opposition, that can only give him a false sense of belief, until he's smashed again by a quality forward.

TMSS
3rd April 2007, 01:11 AM
am i blind or did he not get a stint down there?

He did not get a 'stint' down there, I think you could still be blind though.

DeadlyAkkuret
3rd April 2007, 02:55 AM
He did not get a 'stint' down there, I think you could still be blind though.

Thanks for that lol.

hammo
3rd April 2007, 10:18 AM
I certainly agree on the Goodes point. Asking him to tag is like Worsfold getting Judd to tag Jude Bolton or Nathan Buckley to tag Luke Ablett. Goodes will create and score goals with his brilliance so let him run and give opposition coaches the headache of finding a match up.

I also agree about the perfect pass syndrome we perennially suffer from. Why do we go for a finessed pass to Hall wide on a forward pocket (where he'll probably miss the shot anyway) instead of kicking to the goal square or someone a better lead?

Spida can be a link man through the midfield and his long, accurate kick should just almost a good a weapon as Malceski's.

I am not writing off the Tigers but if there are calls to experiment with White, why not just bring the Donk straight back in and let's play tall.

Margie
3rd April 2007, 11:35 AM
Hall's tactics of playing on and bursting through packs seemed like desperate efforts to set something up. Hopefully there'll be more organisation against Richmond.

Watching the young Irish Carlton defender on Richardson at the weekend made me think we need someone to drop into the gap rather than expecting Leo to go one-on-one with Richo.

schwattasboots
3rd April 2007, 03:14 PM
i think the team can put heaps of effort in them
ta tim

Thunder Shaker
3rd April 2007, 05:39 PM
If it's anything like last year I am looking forward to the percentage boost.

swantastic
3rd April 2007, 05:56 PM
IMO we wont win by more than 6 goals,dont forget we are slow starters and thats the way i like it.

Sanecow
3rd April 2007, 06:02 PM
Will be a tough game without LRT helping out.

satchmopugdog
3rd April 2007, 07:52 PM
They haven't got Knobel or Simmonds so maybe Teddy for the ruck!!!!!!

BigBadBarryNo1
3rd April 2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think Vogues had that bad a game, and Jesse White is still a rookie.

As for Goodesy, I suspect he did sacrifice some of his game to stall Judd, but McVeigh should have done the job on him more though.

Lucky Knickers
3rd April 2007, 10:18 PM
Like to see Ted up forward this week to provide another option in the fwd line given no Davo.
Who gets the job on Richo and Pettifer?

Eala ?ireann
4th April 2007, 10:04 AM
All I want to see this week is that every time a Swans forweard marks the ball anywhere near the attacking 50, that they settle down and have a kick at goal.

I'm easily pleased.

dread and might
4th April 2007, 12:15 PM
All I want to see this week is that every time a Swans forweard marks the ball anywhere near the attacking 50, that they settle down and have a kick at goal.

I'm easily pleased.

Yes!

Also: I know Auskick seems to be a RWO favourite, but he seems to have escaped criticism when he would have had about the same game time as Vogels.

Goodes needs to be left to do as he pleases.

elroy67
5th April 2007, 10:03 AM
West Coast have shown their willingness to place numbers in defence against us (dare I say flood!) and with some success, so it will be no suprise should Richmond use a similar plan. (remember their win against Adelaide last year).

If confronted by a super flood I would like to see our big kickers namely Ablett, if the groin is up to it, and Dempster to launch a few bombs from long range to help break it up rather than look for a quadruple teamed Hall with a dinky pass.

Jeffers1984
5th April 2007, 11:38 AM
If we don't win the ruck duel in this game we never will this year.

Play Jude in the middle. He is not a half forward.

C Bolton on Richo with Richards blocking up his leading space. Can't trust Leo on him.

We bloody well should beat them and beat them well.

AnnieH
5th April 2007, 11:51 AM
set goodsey free - let the other coaches worry about him.
bbbh is not the only option up front. more often than not, he is surrounded by three or four of the opposition, leaving three or four of our fully capable forwards free to kick a goal.
last week, there was way too much pussy-footing around with the ball. at one stage, i counted 16 possessions between the back and half forward line - we lost the ball in the goal square. how many times does that happen?
also. i think more work needs to be done in the rucks ... imo, there seems to be no-one roving the tap downs. what's the point in having one of the best tap-ruckman in the business if there's no-one to get the ball. it frustrates me.
/end rant.

(That took me 20mins to type with one hand ... phew!!)

573v30
5th April 2007, 12:59 PM
If Sydney played like they did against Richmond in Round 7 last year, we'll flog them again.

Apart from dominating the possession, the Swans had a great kicking game (228 kicks to 94 handballs) and Richmond's defense is nowhere near the best in the competition. Just keep hold on the footy, use our disposals effectively, dominate the ruck and kick straight and we should win comfortably.

Frog
5th April 2007, 01:06 PM
...Snip...

(That took me 20mins to type with one hand ... phew!!)
And you managed a single capital letter ... wow ... :p

RogueSwan
6th April 2007, 03:05 PM
Yes!

Also: I know Auskick seems to be a RWO favourite, but he seems to have escaped criticism when he would have had about the same game time as Vogels.

Goodes needs to be left to do as he pleases.

Auskick? Phillips?

NMWBloods
6th April 2007, 03:07 PM
I hope the banner message is better this week - last week's was woeful!

dread and might
6th April 2007, 03:40 PM
Auskick? Phillips?

Yes. It's not that I don't think he can be useful in the future, but when he started playing seniors last year I was surprised, thinking that Schmidt was closer to making an impact. I know he would not have had a great deal of TOG against the illegals but considering how many more F50 entries we had than WC I didn't really spot him trying to crumb at contests in fact I don't really remember seeing him do much at all.

AnnieH
6th April 2007, 04:35 PM
And you managed a single capital letter ... wow ... :p

GiVe Me A bReAk.

elroy67
6th April 2007, 05:00 PM
I hope the banner message is better this week - last week's was woeful!

So do I!

But you would hope with C.Bolton's 100th swans game and Kirky's 150th game there would be enough inspiration.