PDA

View Full Version : Former Swans in VFL

GoSouth33
6th April 2007, 12:20 PM
Yesterday's Herald Sun had a preview of the 2007 VFL which starts this weekend. I spotted these former Swans as new inclusions in four of the thirteen teams making up that competition.

Daryn Cresswell - coach of Tasmanian Devils
Stefan Garrubba - Casey Scorpions
Andrew Ericksen and Paul Chambers - Werribee Tigers
David Spriggs - Port Melbourne Borough

Foreign Legion
6th April 2007, 09:20 PM
Spriggs will do well for The Borough - he is the sort of player that might go close to winning the JJ if he doesnt get injured.

I thought Chambers retired?

ugg
6th April 2007, 10:36 PM
Also
Paul Currie - Coburg Tigers
Ed Clarke - Northern Bullants
Chris Obst - Port Melbourne
Ryan Crawford - Williamstown

Carolyn
6th April 2007, 10:41 PM
Yesterday's Herald Sun had a preview of the 2007 VFL which starts this weekend. I spotted these former Swans as new inclusions in four of the thirteen teams making up that competition.

Daryn Cresswell - coach of Tasmanian Devils
Stefan Garrubba - Casey Scorpions
Andrew Ericksen and Paul Chambers - Werribee Tigers
David Spriggs - Port Melbourne Borough I hope he's more of a use to them than he was to the Swans.

ROK Lobster
6th April 2007, 10:49 PM
I hope he's more of a use to them than he was to the Swans.
Chambers > Jolly. At least he admitted that he had lost interest towards the end of 06.

liz
6th April 2007, 10:57 PM
Apparently one more of the Buchanan clan is turning out for Box Hill Hawks this year too.

ugg
6th April 2007, 11:06 PM
Apparently one more of the Buchanan clan is turning out for Box Hill Hawks this year too.
Micah Buchanan.

Also Brett Goodes playing for North Ballarat.

And while we're at it, here's the ex-Swans in the SANFL.

James Meiklejohn - Port Adelaide
Luke Jarjoura - Port Adelaide
Scott McGlone - South Adelaide
Gerrard Bennett - South Adelaide
Josh Thewlis - South Adelaide
Jarrad Sundqvist - Glenelg
Simon Feast - Sturt

GoBloods
8th April 2007, 04:08 PM
i was actually surprised to read that Leon Higgins is still playing at tocumwal

Nico
8th April 2007, 09:59 PM
Anyone got stats on "Torture" for Werribee at the weekend.

ugg
8th April 2007, 10:20 PM
Didn't play, nor did Ericksen.

DST
8th April 2007, 11:16 PM
Has Josh Willoughby snuck up anywhere?

Would have thought he is back in SA playing.

DST
:D

ugg
9th April 2007, 12:02 AM
Yes, he's with Glenelg.

SimonH
12th April 2007, 02:15 PM
Plus Aaron Rogers, oddly, left Glenelg in SA to play for Eastlake in Canberra this year. How long ago did we part company with Chris Obst and Ryan Crawford? Their names ring only the vaguest bells.

No doubt many more are kicking around somewhere... Of course, the most famous of all is now Ricky Mott, who is always about to make a shock return to the AFL (even if in reality he's barely having a kick in the backyard in country WA with a couple of mates)!

ugg
12th April 2007, 02:24 PM
Plus Aaron Rogers, oddly, left Glenelg in SA to play for Eastlake in Canberra this year.

Mark Powell is also playing in Canberra this year with Queanbeyan.

hammo
12th April 2007, 02:42 PM
I notice at Glenelg there is a Jack Fosdike.

Any relation?

http://www.glenelgfc.com.au/club.htm

swantastic
12th April 2007, 03:01 PM
Also Brett Goodes playing for North Ballarat.Is there a brother/brother rule?

SimonH
12th April 2007, 03:33 PM
I notice at Glenelg there is a Jack Fosdike.

Any relation?

http://www.glenelgfc.com.au/club.htmThere are no shortage of Fosdikes out there. Duncan Fosdike was a tall, classy HFFer who had a long career for Norwood in the 1980s. I'm pretty sure he's Nic's uncle (or at least not his dad).

Matthew Fosdike has come up through the underages for Norwood (would be only 17 or 18), and played his first reserves game last w/e. Jack Fosdike also came up through the underages at Norwood (played U/19s in 2006), but got a transfer to Glenelg at the start of the year. I'm quite confident they are related to Nic (and each other), but the exact relationship I don't know for sure; when in doubt, say 'cousins'.

There's also no shortage of Crouches. Luke Crouch has been playing firsts (and a little seconds) for Norwood for a few years. Would be maybe 23yo or so now. Fairly similar size/style of player to Jared (without the same incredible tenacity in tackling). He played reserves last w/e. Again, probly more likely cousin than brother.

ugg
12th April 2007, 04:19 PM
There are countless Motlops and Krakouers in the SANFL. All related to each other I'm sure.

giant
12th April 2007, 04:29 PM
There are countless Motlops and Krakouers in the SANFL. All related to each other I'm sure.

Most of the AFL Krakouers came from Mt Barker way (south WA) AFAIK.

Nico
12th April 2007, 09:58 PM
They belong to the famous "Fosdike" rabbit breed.

ugg
23rd April 2007, 12:15 AM
VFL update:

Casey Scopions
- Garrubba named amongst the best for the third time in a row.
- Wall kicks 2 goals to go with his 5 from last week.
Port Melbourne
- Spriggs named in the best and kicked a goal.
- Obst BOG.

liz
23rd April 2007, 01:14 AM
There's also no shortage of Crouches. Luke Crouch has been playing firsts (and a little seconds) for Norwood for a few years. Would be maybe 23yo or so now. Fairly similar size/style of player to Jared (without the same incredible tenacity in tackling). He played reserves last w/e. Again, probly more likely cousin than brother.

Didn't Luke Crouch do a pre-season with the Swans two or three years ago, with a view to getting a spot on the rookie list? Or was that a different Crouch?

GoSouth33
25th April 2007, 11:01 PM
I've now got a digital tuner card in my computer which allows me to have a picture in the corner while I'm doing other things such as reading RWO. The thing that I've just noticed is that ABC 2 shows VFL on Wednesday nights. Tonights game at 11.00 pm is Port Melbourne V Box Hill Hawks. Good way of keeping an eye on some of these players.

swantastic
26th April 2007, 12:28 AM
I've now got a digital tuner card in my computer which allows me to have a picture in the corner while I'm doing other things such as reading RWO. The thing that I've just noticed is that ABC 2 shows VFL on Wednesday nights. Tonights game at 11.00 pm is Port Melbourne V Box Hill Hawks. Good way of keeping an eye on some of these players.Am watching that as well as the cricket and it was a good goal by Spriggs(1st qrt),maybe we should get him back.At least he can kick a goal from 40 meteres out.:rolleyes:

SimonH
26th April 2007, 01:03 AM
Didn't Luke Crouch do a pre-season with the Swans two or three years ago, with a view to getting a spot on the rookie list? Or was that a different Crouch?The timing would be right (in terms of his age). Not aware of any other Crouches out there at the moment.

ABC TV digital is gold; SANFL match of the round in full from 11pm Tue, as well as VFL. Maybe some WAFL in there as well; not sure.

Triple B
26th April 2007, 01:06 AM
Crouchy had a brother just a year or two younger who played in Norwoods firsts. Almost sure his name was Adam. He was touted as being a chance to be drafted one year but missed out.

SimonH
26th April 2007, 01:38 AM
Crouchy had a brother just a year or two younger who played in Norwoods firsts. Almost sure his name was Adam. He was touted as being a chance to be drafted one year but missed out.Excellent point. Had forgotten about him; drifted away from Norwood at some stage after 2003. He's seemingly now playing on the Eyre Peninsula (or someone called Adam Crouch is).