PDA

View Full Version : Barry Hall or Laurie Nash?

Alibi Monday
11th April 2007, 03:04 AM
Looking ahead to the year 2103. When it comes to Sydney Team of the Last 200 Years - these 2 names look like they might be fighting it out for CHF. Most of us can only speculate just how good LN was, but from all reports he was a master. Then again BH has been a supreme performer for the club over the last 3 years with rarely a poor game. Anyone who can be in the top 5 players in the league at CHF for the past 3 years makes them a goliath of the game.

Thoughts? Would be great to hear some views from the elder RWO fans.

Plugger46
11th April 2007, 12:08 PM
My late Grandfather said Nash was the best player he'd seen. That's enough for me.

ScottH
11th April 2007, 12:10 PM
From what I've read, Nash had an ego bigger than any, but he also had the skill to back it up.

Nash for me.

NMWBloods
11th April 2007, 12:14 PM
Nash by a mile.

stellation
11th April 2007, 12:19 PM
How many of the folks saying Nash actually saw him play?

stellation
11th April 2007, 12:21 PM
I did like this quote about him from here (http://www.footballlegends.org/laurie_nash.htm)

His rivalry with team mate Bob Pratt, with whom he competed for a place in the record books, yielded 199 goals for the Swans in 1934. When Pratt was asked years later how they had played together, he recalled that Nash had passed to him once "but it was a mistake".

Old Royboy
11th April 2007, 12:44 PM

I suspect none of us. At least my sources are reasonably close (my Dad plus countless Sundays in the 60's watching WOS) - Richards, Dyer, Andrews, Smallhorn (who all played against him) & co all reckoned that Nash was an out and out superstar.

My fav Nash quote was when he was asked who the best footballer he had ever seen was. His reply: "I look at him every morning when I shave"

hammo
11th April 2007, 12:53 PM
I did like this quote about him from here (http://www.footballlegends.org/laurie_nash.htm)

And Nash was a deadly goalkicker. If he had been played permanently as full forward he would have outshone all full forwards of my time, including myself. His performance in kicking 18 goals for Victoria against South Australia was the dandiest I have ever witnessed.

It's a shame he's not around for the Swans today!

Based on that extract Nash would outshine Hall by the proverbial country mile, but Baz would be in the team on the flank for sure.

Tuco
11th April 2007, 01:55 PM
Did a wiki on him - turns out he was only 175cm tall! That's something like 20cm shorter than Hall. Can anyone confirm that? If so it's pretty hard to directly compare the two especially when you factor in the weight difference, I'd have thought.

I have a feeling by the time Barry retires we won't have trouble squeezing him in with the all time greats for Syd/South Melbourne, though.

NMWBloods
11th April 2007, 02:26 PM
I base it on what my dad says - he saw him play - and from what I've read.

stellation
11th April 2007, 04:33 PM
I base it on what my dad says - he saw him play - and from what I've read.
Is your dad Neil Harvey?

Sanecow
11th April 2007, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that if they played this week, Hall would towel Nash up despite his knee.

NMWBloods
11th April 2007, 04:48 PM
Is your dad Neil Harvey?
No.

robbieando
11th April 2007, 08:07 PM
Has Barry Hall kicked 18 goals for Victoria in a State game against South Australia playing at CHF??

Was Barry Hall a success as a Key Position Defender??

Does Barry Hall have to play second fiddle in the forward line to anyone??

Has Barry Hall played Test Cricket for Australia??

The answer to those four questions are No, no, no and hell no.

The fact is Nash was a completely different sort of player than Hall (their sizes make that a given) and to compare players across different two eras such as the 30's and the modern day is impossible to do. But still Nash was able to play second fiddle to Pratt in the forward line in our 1930's Golden Era, and yet be able to shine out enough to be regarded as one of the best CHF's to have played the game and obtain Australian Football Hall of Fame Status.

I would have no doubt that come the time to pick the next Swans all-time greatest team, Nash and Hall will be hard to split at CHF but Nash will most likely still get the nod going upon the output from Hall to this point in his career. That of course can all change if Hall has 3 or 4 more seasons like his past few seasons and wins another flag or two. The possible kicker could be whether Hall gets Hall of Fame Status. I would say he is line ball at this stage, needing a few more good seasons to get in.

Plus who is to say we don't get our hands on a CHF in the next 100 years that tops both Nash and Hall??? You never know how things work out.

Sanecow
11th April 2007, 08:11 PM
Has Barry Hall kicked 18 goals for Victoria in a State game against South Australia playing at CHF??

About as relevant as the number of goals Nash kicked against Ireland.

robbieando
11th April 2007, 08:40 PM
About as relevant as the number of goals Nash kicked against Ireland.

True, but Hall hasn't got 18 goals in total against Ireland, let alone in a match.

Sanecow
11th April 2007, 08:48 PM
True, but Hall hasn't got 18 goals in total against Ireland, let alone in a match.

Ireland >>>> South Australia.

Alibi Monday
11th April 2007, 08:55 PM
It's a very interesting subject to me, because in all the time that I've been watching SM/Sydney we've never had a KPP consistently ranked in the top handful of players in the league - a true champion, other than maybe Lockett (however I would think that would probably only relate to 95,96).

Williams was possibly a top 5 player for 3 years (87,88,89), Goodes is definitely making a show now too. I don't even think Kelly would have been considered to be a top 5 player in the league during his day.

From all reports, I think I'd have to go Nash, but if Hall could string 2 more seasons at 3 goals, 14 poss, 8 marks average per game. It would make a good argument for Hall over Nash. Shame he wasn't under Roos at the start of his career.

revolsnaws
11th April 2007, 09:38 PM
I keeps thinkin to meself,how would Nash go in Hall's time and how would Hall go in Nash's time?.....conumdrum:confused:

stellation
11th April 2007, 10:32 PM
I keeps thinkin to meself,how would Nash go in Hall's time and how would Hall go in Nash's time?.....conumdrum:confused:
In Hall's time there is no way Nash would be a KPP, in Nash's time Hall would never have been sent to anger management.

i'm-uninformed2
11th April 2007, 11:31 PM
In Hall's time there is no way Nash would be a KPP, in Nash's time Hall would never have been sent to anger management.

typical legalistic each-way answer

robbieando
11th April 2007, 11:47 PM

Nash with his height in today's modern game would be either a handy forward pocket, or because he could play in defence, a Jared Crouch type - Small Defender who could become a run with player with today's modern training. His skills and ability from the 1930's would been improved with the extra training that would focus on them from an early age as well.

Hall would be a ruckman end of story. His height in the 1930's would of been considered taller than normal for a football, so no doubt he would of been from an early age used as a ruckman. Whether he would have the same skills and fitness he has today would be questionable because of the lack of training compared to today. As for his anger issues, well, in 1930's with the one umpire system, no trial by video and the general nature of the game in those days. He would of fitted in just nicely and got away with plenty to boot.

As I said before trying to compare over different eras is difficult because as we see here, Hall wouldn't be used the same way in the 1930's as he is now and Nash wouldn't the same players now as he was in the 1930's because of the changes to the game.

revolsnaws
11th April 2007, 11:48 PM
Hmmm,but can Bazza play cricket? Multi-skilling counts for alot IMO.More points for Nash

Ruda Wakening
11th April 2007, 11:48 PM
My fav Nash quote was when he was asked who the best footballer he had ever seen was. His reply: "I look at him every morning when I shave"

He'd be sent to the ACT for that now.

revolsnaws
11th April 2007, 11:52 PM
Also Nash probly had to turn up for work on mundy mornin.True grit!

Alibi Monday
12th April 2007, 12:21 AM
Hmmm,but can Bazza play cricket? Multi-skilling counts for alot IMO.More points for Nash

It's been said that Hall could well have been a champion heavyweight boxer by no less than Johnny Lewis. In this day and age, there's abolutely no chance you could do what Nash did and play 2 professional sports. Therefore, you can presume that Hall could well have also been a champion boxer as well as a great footballer back in the 30s.

BeeEmmAre
12th April 2007, 12:57 AM
I'm pretty sure that if they played this week, Hall would towel Nash up despite his knee.

Considering Laurie would have been two weeks short of turning 97, I wouldn't doubt it!

revolsnaws
12th April 2007, 03:33 AM
It's been said that Hall could well have been a champion heavyweight boxer by no less than Johnny Lewis. In this day and age, there's abolutely no chance you could do what Nash did and play 2 professional sports. Therefore, you can presume that Hall could well have also been a champion boxer as well as a great footballer back in the 30s.

Spose your right,he COULD and still may be.He also has the years left in him to be a more accomplished footy player than Nash.But with all their differences(accomplishments,sizes,eras,hairstyles, etc)theys is both Bloods/Swannies so comparing them is umm, actually quite umm(for lack of a better word)hard.Mkay!

Tuco
12th April 2007, 11:26 AM
I recall Skilton saying it himself that he didn't think he could have competed with these modern day players. And he's seen a few. It's great having a star like Laurie on the record books. But if you were putting together a team to play today he simply couldn't be a CHF.

One way to compare them perhaps is to guauge their respective importance to the sides they played in. Barry Hall is absolutely integral to the modern day Swans. Probably the most important player on the list since Plugger. Can't speak for Nash, but looking at his achievements you'd say they'd have struggled without him. His figures were Carey-like for a CHF. And as for his cricket stats...um...pretty irrelevant I'd have thought.

Interesting thread.

Sanecow
12th April 2007, 12:54 PM
Considering Laurie would have been two weeks short of turning 97, I wouldn't doubt it!

If he was alive it would be much closer.

Nico
12th April 2007, 09:07 PM
My late Grandfather said Nash was the best player he'd seen. That's enough for me.

Funny, my father said he was the best player he had ever seen also.

stellation
12th April 2007, 09:16 PM
Neil Harvey was a busy man.

Nico
12th April 2007, 09:21 PM
Hey Robbieando, if in 75 years time we get another super, super gun CHF we will probably be able to communicate with the after life using this new fangled electromagnetic technology, so before I go I will give you my after life email address or whatever they call it then, and you can delight me with the news and comparison with Nashy. I will then pass the RWO Poll results onto Nashy when I have a beer with him next.

Nico
12th April 2007, 09:23 PM
Neil Harvey was a busy man.

And a dill.

Nico
12th April 2007, 09:25 PM
Jack Dyer was scared of Nash.

Bas
12th April 2007, 09:57 PM
Jack Dyer was scared of Nash.

But did Nash have a sister who can throw a right hook a good as her brother?

Nico
12th April 2007, 10:01 PM
But did Nash have a sister who can throw a right hook a good as her brother?

Urban myth perpetuated by Lou Richards.

Besides her brother only threw right hooks when the other players weren't looking, according to my learned dad.

Bas
12th April 2007, 10:02 PM
I think comparing players from different time periods is like comparing Noah's Ark with the Queen Mary 2.

In this case, both are/were champions in their time. Issue over for me.

GoBloods
21st April 2007, 03:29 PM
i think he was the last cricketer selected to represent australia without playing shield cricket...he was selected from the victorian district cricket