PDA

View Full Version : mark papers never to play again

lwjoyner
5th May 2007, 11:48 PM
Ben Matthews and Mark McVeigh must be sent back to the Canberra league.
Maybe they could get a kick there and learn how to mind a man. Seems to me they get too many chances. Time to give some of the newcomers a go.
Laidlaw White to name a couple.

ROK Lobster
5th May 2007, 11:49 PM
Mark Papers is one of my favourites. Sad news :frown

Lucky Knickers
6th May 2007, 12:00 AM
Mark Papers is one of my favourites. Sad news :frown
Not unlike your good self. That's goal.

Young Blood
6th May 2007, 12:01 AM
Maybe they could get a kick there and learn how to mind a man. Seems to me they get too many chances. Time to give some of the newcomers a go.
Laidlaw White to name a couple.

I thought Mathews was one of our better players - apart from a hot spell in the 3rd quarter, he kept Harvey pretty quiet.

swantastic
6th May 2007, 12:10 AM
Laidlaw White to name a couple.Jared yes was so/so but Benny was ok but some times his decision making is to slow.

liz
6th May 2007, 12:11 AM
I thought Mathews was one of our better players - apart from a hot spell in the 3rd quarter, he kept Harvey pretty quiet.

Exactly - one of the few players to really run with his man in the second quarter, despite being a fair bit slower than Harvey. And chipped in with two goals too.

I'd be looking at others before Mathews.

In fact, ever since a pretty ordinary performance on Braun in round 1, Mathews has been one of the few consistent players for Sydney. Never brilliant but gets done the job he's given.

hammo
6th May 2007, 12:22 AM
Your post lost credibility when you began talking about Mark McVeigh:rolleyes:

Mathews had a good game tonight and was in our best half dozen.

SimonH
6th May 2007, 12:36 AM
No, I thought it was a pretty good idea. Mark McVeigh could provide some really good depth in Canberra.

ROK Lobster
6th May 2007, 12:38 AM
No, I thought it was a pretty good idea. Mark McVeigh could provide some really good depth in Canberra.What does Mark McVeigh have to do with Mark Papers? The poor bloke's never going to play again and you're talking about some Essendon player moving to Canberra :confused:

SimonH
6th May 2007, 01:05 AM
What does Mark McVeigh have to do with Mark Papers? The poor bloke's never going to play again and you're talking about some Essendon player moving to Canberra :confused:Aren't you paying any attention at all? Read the whole first post, not just the header. (Rolls eyes, but not by using a smiley.)

1. Mark Papers has played his last game. Anywhere. Never to play footy again. Boo for him.
2. Mark McVeigh is going back to Canberra. (Sure, 'back' is a bit of a strained concept, seeing he was last there in 1994 when the McVeigh family took an ill-advised weekend road trip to visit Floriade, Questacon and Old Parliament House.)

I can hold both of these thoughts in my mind at the same time.

Nico
6th May 2007, 01:27 AM

Mathews had a good game tonight and was in our best half dozen.

I too thought Mathews was OK. He worked a lot of the ground and did his tagging roll pretty well.

NMWBloods
6th May 2007, 01:30 AM
I watched Mathews quite a bit tonight. Sure he kept Harvey fairly quiet, but he does so by ignoring the rest of the game most of the time. A number of times he ran away from the man with the ball and toward his own man - selfish football. Also, he often doesn't watch the game - too intent on purely watching his own player. When he has the ball he has little idea what to do with it. Not our worst, but in amongst them (and plenty of them tonight).

Foreign Legion
6th May 2007, 02:17 AM

Yep, I agree. I nearly choked on my beer when I saw Benny on Harvey but he killed him and kicked a couple. Roosy - you are a better judge than me.

Mathews was useful/very good tonight.

goswannie14
6th May 2007, 07:38 AM
I watched Mathews quite a bit tonight. Sure he kept Harvey fairly quiet, but he does so by ignoring the rest of the game most of the time. A number of times he ran away from the man with the ball and toward his own man - selfish football. Also, he often doesn't watch the game - too intent on purely watching his own player. When he has the ball he has little idea what to do with it. Not our worst, but in amongst them (and plenty of them tonight).Exactly my thoughts Bloods. Too many times Mathews has his back to the play, and when it comes to making decisions to dispose of the ball, he makes LRT look decisive.:eek: In the second, he had a kick (free of mark) on the half back line, almost hatched the ball when people were free, then kicked to a contest. Even the first goal that he kicked he had no idea whether to kick it or hand it off. Certainly nowhere near being in our best players.

ROK Lobster
6th May 2007, 10:43 AM
Aren't you paying any attention at all? Read the whole first post, not just the header. (Rolls eyes, but not by using a smiley.)

1. Mark Papers has played his last game. Anywhere. Never to play footy again. Boo for him.
2. Mark McVeigh is going back to Canberra. (Sure, 'back' is a bit of a strained concept, seeing he was last there in 1994 when the McVeigh family took an ill-advised weekend road trip to visit Floriade, Questacon and Old Parliament House.)

I can hold both of these thoughts in my mind at the same time.OK, I've read it again and see now that both Marks, Papers and McVeigh, are coming back to Canberra to play league. Leigh Matthews' son Ben has been recruited by a local high school to mark papers. Laidlaw White (whoever the hell he is) is to spill the beans on (on the Davis/Kirk rumour elsewhere mentioned?) and "name couple" - presumably in the Belconnen Chronicle.

ScottH
6th May 2007, 12:43 PM
When was the last time Mathews missed a shot at goal?

I don't recall seeing him miss for quite a while, (2 behinds last year, maybe they were touched ;))

Drop Ben - No.
Drop McV - Yes.