PDA

View Full Version : The Genius of Kirk

Go Swannies
12th May 2007, 11:51 PM
I don't often get a chance to watch the Swannies on TV but tonight I did. And I was depressed of course. But it was worth noting how good Kirk is in close. Is there anyone in the competition better? There were a couple of times tonight when he went in when a Saint had the ball and when the crowd cleared, Kirk had the ball at the bottom of the pack.

Without Kirk it's doubtful if the game plan that the Swans evolved would ever have worked. Kirk may not be your conventional footballer but he's a genius.

Captain
12th May 2007, 11:53 PM
I don't often get a chance to watch the Swannies on TV but tonight I did. And I was depressed of course. But it was worth noting how good Kirk is in close. Is there anyone in the competition better? There were a couple of times tonight when he went in when a Saint had the ball and when the crowd cleared, Kirk had the ball at the bottom of the pack.

Without Kirk it's doubtful if the game plan that the Swans evolved would ever have worked. Kirk may not be your conventional footballer but he's a genius.

He is great except for the fact he is very, very slow and can't kick to save his life.

ROK Lobster
12th May 2007, 11:54 PM

Without Kirk it's doubtful if the game plan that the Swans evolved would ever have worked. Kirk may not be your conventional footballer but he's a genius.Are you his mum or his missus?

NMWBloods
12th May 2007, 11:54 PM
But it was worth noting how good Kirk is in close. Is there anyone in the competition better?
Black, Mitchell, Judd, Kerr, etc...

But he's still pretty good (genius is an exagerration me thinks) at getting hands on the ball and out of the pack. Far and away our best at that (although I still think given time Schmidt could be as good or better, plus better disposal overall).

ROK Lobster
12th May 2007, 11:55 PM
(although I still think given game time Schmidt could be as good or better, plus better disposal overall).I put in the missing word Bloods

sprite
12th May 2007, 11:56 PM
To quote Jack Dyer - "a good average player"

liz
13th May 2007, 12:02 AM
To quote Jack Dyer - "a good average player"

Nah - that's not fair on him. He's no Judd or Kerr but he's more than a GOP. Watch how he nearly dragged the Swans back from the death in last year's GF.

Whatever you think of his skills, he has to be admired as someone who has got everything possible out of himself as a player. Can't ask much more than that.

sprite
13th May 2007, 12:10 AM
Nah - that's not fair on him. He's no Judd or Kerr but he's more than a GOP. Watch how he nearly dragged the Swans back from the death in last year's GF.

Whatever you think of his skills, he has to be admired as someone who has got everything possible out of himself as a player. Can't ask much more than that.

Normally Liz I see your point - but on this occasion - sorry - the experiment has failed.

Let's pick a better option and move forward.

NMWBloods
13th May 2007, 12:11 AM
Normally Liz I see your point - but on this occasion - sorry - the experiment has failed.

Let's pick a better option and move forward.
What experiment? Kirk is still one of our best players.

WASwansFanatic
13th May 2007, 01:02 AM
Kirk was bloody unbelievable in and under and was one of if not our best

sWAns63
13th May 2007, 01:25 AM
Given time I think Jack will be a similar type of player though with a bit more pace

smasher
13th May 2007, 06:13 AM
I have maintained for a while now that while Kirk has great leadership skills,wins the hard ball, gives each match 110%,I still think he takes too long to make a decision.I watched him closely last night and he seems to panic before taking a kick.He needs to watch his turnovers at times also.
That aside the bloke is a champion and,I imagine,would be a pleasure to coach.

satchmopugdog
13th May 2007, 08:52 AM
There was one hand pass of Kirk's out of a pack last night where I thought "Wow". He is good.

I really like Simon Black for that stuff too. I often think when watching the Lions, "How did he do That?"...not in the flashy explosive way of Judd but jsut the body movement in tight situations that creates space. A bit of it I think is to do with Kirk and Black being left handed, just like on a basketball court in that limited space use of the left side opens up a new space..

Lucas and Leo don't need any more attention to this aspect of their training.