PDA

View Full Version : pick your team to play port

swansrule100
13th May 2007, 09:46 PM
Well we all know this side needs to turn it around quick, so if you picked the team who would you pick for next weeks game?? and who would you chuck back to the ressies?

ROK Lobster
13th May 2007, 09:51 PM
Longmire ;)

vanberlo=god
13th May 2007, 10:11 PM
reserves
mcveigh
j.bolton
crouch
in
schmidt
brabazon
laidlaw

TheMase
13th May 2007, 10:16 PM
reserves
mcveigh
j.bolton
crouch
in
schmidt
brabazon
laidlaw

I think the best we can hope for is Schmidt for McVeigh, or probably more likely Schmidt for Jack.

Danzar
13th May 2007, 10:17 PM
B - Richards, Barry, Jack
HB - Crouch, Bolton, Malceski
C - Buchanan, O'Keefe, Kirk
FOL - Jolly, Goodes, Fosdike
HF - Bolton, Davis, Schneider
F - Everitt, Hall, MOL

IC: Ablett, Schmidt, Phillips, Mathews

IN: Phillips, Schmidt
OUT: Bevan, McVeigh

I'm sticking with Mathews as I think he's getting better with every game.

We need some goals sneaks - Phillips and Schneider at HF.

Stick with Jack.

TheMase
13th May 2007, 10:19 PM
B - Richards, Barry, Jack
HB - Crouch, Bolton, Malceski
C - Buchanan, O'Keefe, Kirk
HF - Bolton, Davis, Schneider
F - Everitt, Hall, MOL

IC: Ablett, Schmidt, Phillips, Mathews

IN: Phillips, Schmidt
OUT: Bevan, McVeigh

I'm sticking with Mathews as I think he's getting better with every game.

We need some goals sneaks - Phillips and Schneider at HF.

Stick with Jack.
Davis at CHF?

liz
13th May 2007, 10:19 PM
Port are an interesting challenge because you look at them on paper, with two Burgoynes, Pearce, Rodan and Krakouer and think "how are we going to match them for speed?" There's a temptation to think you need all the taggers in the world in the team to stand a chance.

But the other way of looking at it is that they are untaggable from a pace point of view so there is no point going down that route. Quite simply, if the Swans can't get their hands on the ball first at stoppages - and especially centre bounces - they are going to get slaughtered. And Port have possibly the only other ruck combination in the competition (based on current fitness of players) with two strongly built, highly experienced and skilled rucks. This won't be like Jolly and Spida going up against the gallant but lone, inexperienced McIntosh, or part-timer Koschitske and raw Rix. Lade is about as good as it gets, and Brogan ain't bad either.

Schmidt should never have been dropped and needs to come back in. He needs to spend a considerable amount of time in the centre, not stuck in a pocket, and instructed to focus just on getting those clearances.

I'd also bring in a tall marking target- be it Grundy, Vogels or Doyle (though the collective scarcity of goals this afternoon from those three is a bit perplexing) to see if some of the Baz-focus can be addressed, and allow Davis to play his HFF role along the O'Keefe lines, as he did yesterday.

I'm not going to name outs. We all know who we want and we all know its probably not going to happen.

Danzar
13th May 2007, 10:23 PM
Davis at CHF?
Yep! ;)

EDIT: I'll explain. I don't rate Davis in a marking contest. However, Sydney tend to kick to the pocket. Hence, put him at CHF.

ROK Lobster
13th May 2007, 10:24 PM
Schmidt should never have been dropped.I just hope that the Swans football department has as much respect for your opinion as we do Liz

I'd also bring in a tall marking target- be it Grundy, Vogels or Doyle (though the collective scarcity of goals this afternoon from those three is a bit perplexing) to see if some of the Baz-focus can be addressed, and allow Davis to play his HFF role along the O'Keefe lines, as he did yesterday.
RO'K has been playing tremendous footy, but I think that he needs to drift forward occasionally to mix things up. He is probably the best overhead mark in the team, is not short, is good below his knees as well, and an OK kick for goal (just not in traffic). Although he is better value further towards the middle, he is someone that could provide a good option forward at times during a match.

hammo
13th May 2007, 10:28 PM
I think it's time to plonk the Donk.

And Schmidt's recall goes without saying. That was the most disgraceful decision in Roos' tenure so far.

liz
13th May 2007, 10:30 PM
RO'K has been playing tremendous footy, but I think that he needs to drift forward occasionally to mix things up. He is probably the best overhead mark in the team, is not short, is good below his knees as well, and an OK kick for goal (just not in traffic). Although he is better value further towards the middle, he is someone that could provide a good option forward at times during a match.

Agree with that. I wonder whether Hall's recent injuries and inferred loss of mobility is one reason why he hasn't been doing so as much this year. Certainly Hall seems to have been wandering up the ground far less and hopefully this will change soon as it might help free him up from the attention he's been getting.

Two goals from each of ROK and Davis yesterday was one of the few pleasing aspects of the game considering the work both were doing up the ground. As I said in one of my other rambles this afternoon, if we got that every week we'd be pretty happy.

NMWBloods
13th May 2007, 10:44 PM
Yep! ;)

EDIT: I'll explain. I don't rate Davis in a marking contest. However, Sydney tend to kick to the pocket. Hence, put him at CHF.
Nice idea! :)

swans song
13th May 2007, 11:11 PM
In 2005 in WA colts Brabazon won f&b for Claremont Nathan Krakouer was playing in same team.
In that year Brabazon was a standout and Nathan did well also.
Nathan had 2006 in WAFL colts whilst Brabazon was in Canberra
Thornton played the 2005 as did Toovey now with Collingwood and Harry O'Brien the year before.
Maybe its right time to play one of the these to compete with the likes of Krakouer

swantastic
13th May 2007, 11:24 PM
B - Richards, Barry,Schneider
HB - B2, Vogels, Laidlaw
C -Melcho , Kirk,ROK
HF - Davis, Hall,Ablett
F -Monty , Spida, MOL

IC: Jack, ,B1,Schmidt, Mathews

IN: Vogels, Schmidt,Laidlaw
OUT: Bevan, McVeigh,Crouch

NMWBloods
13th May 2007, 11:36 PM
reserves
mcveigh
j.bolton
crouch
in
schmidt
brabazon
laidlaw
I think this is too much change in experience in one go.

I would have:

Out
Bevan
McVeigh

In
Schmidt
Brabanzon/Laidlaw

And then in a couple of weeks drop Crouch or J Bolton, unless they miraculously find form. At that time bring in Laidlaw/Brabanzon/Moore. Richards may also be looked at - there must be someone in the reserves who could replace him.

sWAns63
14th May 2007, 04:11 AM
OUT:McVeigh.........24 tackles last five matches isn't good enough
Mathews........too slow
Jack..............will take more time though will get there
IN: Schmidt
Laidlaw
Phillips or Vogels

Need to rotate Youngsters through the side
Schmidt, Brabazon, Phillips, Jack, Laidlaw & Vogels

ScottH
14th May 2007, 10:09 AM
Bevan won't get dropped.

How often does Roos bring in a player for just one game? (barring essential injury replacements. (and Moore))
Very rarely.

He'll be given at least 3 games to prove himself.

hammo
14th May 2007, 10:16 AM
He'll be given at least 3 games to prove himself.
That rule doesn't seem to apply to Moore and Vogels :rolleyes:

ScottH
14th May 2007, 10:31 AM
That rule doesn't seem to apply to Moore and Vogels :rolleyes:They don't have Premiership brownie points! :rolleyes:

nat
14th May 2007, 10:37 AM
Out: McVeigh
In: Schmidt

I think Bevan will be given atleast one more week.

Captain
14th May 2007, 10:48 AM
In: Vogels, Grundy, Schmidt, Phillips
Out: McVeigh, Bevan, Jack, Mathews

As if it will happen though.....

barry
14th May 2007, 10:52 AM
I think it's time to plonk the Donk.

And Schmidt's recall goes without saying. That was the most disgraceful decision in Roos' tenure so far.

Good call.

In: Doyle, Schmitt, Moore
Out: McVeigh, Bevan, Crouch

ScottH
14th May 2007, 11:00 AM
Good call.

Out: McVeigh, Bevan, CrouchDoubt that it will happen, but it is the most likeable option posted so far. More height and some solid bodies with some skill.

I noticed Moore got collected with a mean bump against the Kangas within minutes of coming on the ground, he barely moved.
And Schmidt had a bit of a wrestle with another Kanga in the middle of the ground. He dumped the player twice.

Ludwig
14th May 2007, 11:10 AM
Good call.

Out: McVeigh, Bevan, Crouch

In: Schmitt, Laidlaw
Out: McVeigh, Bevan

Would like to see Doyle get a senior game soon, but very tough ruck challenge this week, and perhaps not the best time to make a change there.

I think Crouch has been ok so far. Milne has been playing well this year. Beat Crouch on a number of occasions, but though Crouch didn't look too bad even when beaten. Anyway, need him to quell Port's quicker players.

hammo
14th May 2007, 11:12 AM
Doubt that it will happen, but it is the most likeable option posted so far. More height and some solid bodies with some skill.

The past 3 or 4 weeks Spida has started in the goal square but as far as I've noticed spends no meaningful time there during the rest of the game.

I think it is time to go tall and plonk the Donk. Somehow we need to kick more goals and that won't happen by playing the likes of Jack, Bevan and Phillips.

ScottH
14th May 2007, 11:34 AM
The past 3 or 4 weeks Spida has started in the goal square but as far as I've noticed spends no meaningful time there during the rest of the game.

I think it is time to go tall and plonk the Donk. Somehow we need to kick more goals and that won't happen by playing the likes of Jack, Bevan and Phillips.
Interestingly, the time Spida spends in the goalsquare the ball seems to find a way of not making it that far, thus your statement is quite true.

I think Spida makes a better contribution, when he pops up unexpectedly in the F50. But he seems to be lacking in the stamina dept, always puffing like an old woman (or man to be PC).

Having Donk there permanently would certainly stretch a defence for height.

stellation
14th May 2007, 12:10 PM
I thought that Bevan was okay against St Kilda, certainly not bad enough to warrant being dropped straight away.

Ludwig
14th May 2007, 12:24 PM
I thought that Bevan was okay against St Kilda, certainly not bad enough to warrant being dropped straight away.

Okay not good enough. The Swans need another attacking player, especially with Kennelly out. The only place to play Bevan is as a crumbing forward that puts pressure on the ball. And prefer to have Jack in that role at the moment, since he has long term potential at least.

Would much rather see Schmidt in the team than Bevan.

reigning premier
14th May 2007, 01:23 PM
Ok....

Here goes.....

B: Jack, C Bolton, Richards
HB: Crouch, Barry, Malceski
C: O'Keefe, Kirk, Ablett
HF: Davis, Hall, Everitt
F: Schneider, O'loughlin, Phillips

Foll: Jolly, Goodes, Fosdike

Int: Grundy, Mathews, Buchanan, Doyle

Time to play all 3 ruckmen I feel.
Mathews is doing enough after being widely criticised. But he would be the next to go if he doesn't improve a bit. Perhaps Vogels in his place??? maybe.
Grundy gives us another fwd option. Buchanan can play on the ball for a bit if required.

Matt79
14th May 2007, 01:42 PM
FWIW

Backs: Crouch, C.Bolton, Matthews
HB: Barry, Richards, Laidlaw
C: Ablett, Kirk, Malceski
HF: Davis, Hall, O'Keefe
F: Schnieder, MOL, Philips
Foll: Everitt, Goodes, Schmidt

INT: Buchanan, Fosdike, Jolly, Jack

IN: Schmidt, Philips, Laidlaw
OUT: Bevan (never should have come in), McVeigh, J.Bolton (for 1 week to find some form)

LittleSchneider
14th May 2007, 06:44 PM
Out
Old Game Plan

In
New Game Plan

While Im at it - I dont see too many people calling for Crouch's head? He has been at best pathetic thus far this season. Milne absolutely smashed him on Saturday night. Maybe he needs a stint in the reserves to find some form. He looks slow.

NMWBloods
14th May 2007, 07:11 PM
While Im at it - I dont see too many people calling for Crouch's head?Quite a few have.

Carolyn
14th May 2007, 07:31 PM
In: Schmidt, Laidlaw
Out: Bevan, McVeigh

Is Dempster still injured? He isn't on this week's injury list...

bandwagon
14th May 2007, 08:02 PM
In: Schmidt

That'll do for starters!

elroy67
15th May 2007, 12:42 AM
Is Dempster still injured? He isn't on this week's injury list...

He apparently played in the Magoos on the weekend.

Snake
15th May 2007, 09:16 AM
In: Vogels

schwattasboots
15th May 2007, 02:53 PM
In K.jack ,laidlaw, Grundy
Out Mcveigh Crouch ,cbolton

Hf Jack Hall Grundy
Ff Everitt Laidlaw Micky O

Jeffers1984
15th May 2007, 02:55 PM