PDA

View Full Version : Crouch, Grundy, Schmidt added to Sunday's squad V W. Bulldogs

Damien
24th May 2007, 07:44 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS v SYDNEY
Sunday, 1.10pm AEST, Manuka Oval

WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Sam Power, Brian Harris, Dale Morris
HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Cameron Wight, Ryan Hargrave
C: Nathan Eagleton, Scott West, Jason Akermanis
HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Brad Johnson, Adam Cooney
F: Andrew McDougall, Luke Darcy, Shaun Higgins
FOLL: Peter Street, Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd
I/C (from): Dylan Addison, Cameron Faulkner, Mitch Hahn, Jarrod Harbrow, Will Minson, Farren Ray, Matthew Robbins

In: Faulkner, McDougall, Minson, Power, Robbins
Out: Ryan Griffen (Hamstring), Jordan McMahon (Thigh)

SYDNEY
B: Ted Richards, Leo Barry, Jared Crouch
HB: Tadhg Kennelly, Craig Bolton, Ben Mathews
C: Luke Ablett, Brett Kirk, Nick Malceski
HF: Ryan O?Keefe, Michael O?Loughlin, Jude Bolton
F: Nick Davis, Barry Hall, Amon Buchanan
FOLL: Darren Jolly, Adam Goodes, Nic Fosdike
I/C (from): Jarrad McVeigh, Peter Everitt, Adam Schneider, Paul Bevan, Tim Schmidt, Heath Grundy, Sean Dempster

In: Crouch, Grundy, Schmidt
Out: -

573v30
24th May 2007, 07:50 PM
Crouch in the starting 22, bring on Aker! :D

hammo
24th May 2007, 08:07 PM
That's a huge vote of confidence in Crouch. Surely one week wasn't enough, especially based on the RWO reports of the reserves last week. Picking on reputation is back this week.

liz
24th May 2007, 08:21 PM
That's a huge vote of confidence in Crouch. Surely one week wasn't enough, especially based on the RWO reports of the reserves last week. Picking on reputation is back this week.

Not necessarily. I think it is the Aker factor.

And if you watched the reserves without any regard to what you expected from each player, you'd have picked Crouch as one of the stand-outs. It is just that, quite naturally, you'd judge him against different standards to the Jacks, Moores and Thorntons of this world.

Either Dempster or Bevan is going to be slightly stiff to miss though, because I don't think anyone deserves to be dropped after last week's effort.

ScottH
24th May 2007, 09:00 PM
Jared Crouch will return to the Swans line-up to play the Western Bulldogs in Canberra on Sunday

More... (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=7106&newsId=43960)

(This post was automatically generated from news items on www.sydneyswans.com.au )

swantastic
24th May 2007, 09:28 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nico
24th May 2007, 09:55 PM
Fair dinkum if they bring in an out of form Crouch because of the Aker factor then I think that is very disappointing. So he "found" form against the backyard juniors, big deal. Thornton, Brabazon, Schmidt etc have "found" form in the 2's all season and consistently.
Surely that stands for something compared to an unfit and out of form fading handy footballer who cant keep up, who goes back for one week after a slap over the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf. Did someone say he is not in the leadership group, well if he is not he is surely is in the clique. His form has been very ordinary in the big time to say the least.
Isn't it time we started to blend the next generation with the existing one and let go of some of the past. It is inevitable, it has to happen sooner than later, lets move on.

Nico
24th May 2007, 09:59 PM
The mail in Melbourne is that Johnson is only a 50/50 chance of playing and hence Robbins named on interchange. Wight is also doubtful.

RogueSwan
24th May 2007, 10:18 PM
No Vogels? I would have thought that if he was going to get a run against any one this year it would be the Doggies. He has a great record against them! :p

BigD
24th May 2007, 10:23 PM
The reason they sent Croucher back to the 2s was to find form. I can't see how his form could possibly have improved that much in one week.

ROK Lobster
24th May 2007, 10:56 PM
The reason they sent Croucher back to the 2s was to find form. I can't see how his form could possibly have improved that much in one week.It was his turn to pick the team :rolleyes:

Matt79
24th May 2007, 11:12 PM
This week's umpires...

WESTERN BULLDOGS vs SYDNEY
Vozzo, Ryan, K.Nicholls

SimonH
24th May 2007, 11:20 PM
Not necessarily. I think it is the Aker factor.

And if you watched the reserves without any regard to what you expected from each player, you'd have picked Crouch as one of the stand-outs. It is just that, quite naturally, you'd judge him against different standards to the Jacks, Moores and Thorntons of this world.

Either Dempster or Bevan is going to be slightly stiff to miss though, because I don't think anyone deserves to be dropped after last week's effort.Dropping either McVeigh or Schneider just won't happen (barring huge shocks). Dropping Dempster would be a surreal decision after last week. So, all of the Bevan-haters here might be about to be made very happy. Trouble is, many of them are Crouch-sceptics, too, so I suppose they'll just keep their residual level of grumpiness static.

hammo
24th May 2007, 11:57 PM
Premiership credits:

Crouch, Dempster, Bevan >>>>> McVeigh :eek:

On a serious note, you'd hate to be a fringe player in this team. Not much of an opportunity to settle in the team before you're sent back to the reserves. Whether its Bevan or Dempster, they can both feel very hardly done by just as Jack and Schmidt before them.

voodooguru
25th May 2007, 01:15 AM
Crouch in for Bevan to play on Aker.

Up until he was beaten by multiple injuries, Crouch was an intrinsic part of the team. Another tagger yes, but possibly the best in the business. Able to play on a midfielder or a dangerous small forward. HAD speed and a penetrating kick on the rebound, I'd be happy if he got back to that.

Bevan was good enough last week and one week in the 2s for Crouch wouldn't seem to be enough, but Aker would know that Crouch lit the fuse that blew him out of Brisbane.

Glad to see that matchup nightmare Griffo is out. He was just running into a bit of form.

On his form last week, McVeigh escapes the axe - bye bye Bevo?

Bloody Hell
25th May 2007, 06:43 AM
How often is McVeigh named on the bench?

Claret
25th May 2007, 11:01 AM
How often is McVeigh named on the bench?

He was named on the bench last week, however prior to that I can't recall him not being named on the ground.

Crouch's selection is obviously a horses for courses selection. Whether we like it or not he has a very good record against Aker and it could even be viewed as something of a test.

If he struggles against a player against whom he usually dominates then serious questions will be asked.

He does have one thing in his favour - he has that rare ability to get Aker to lose his focus for the ball and be more concerned with getting rid of that nagging idiot. As a Swan's supporter, that's a good thing.

It might be just what he needs to kickstart his season.

giant
25th May 2007, 11:11 AM
According to this morning's Herald, the decision on Crouch won't be made till after this afternoon's training session. Nevertheless, you get the feeling it's almost a fait accompli.

NMWBloods
25th May 2007, 11:48 AM
I wonder if we would be the only team in the competition making a selection particularly to focus on Aker?

ernie koala
25th May 2007, 12:02 PM
I wonder if we would be the only team in the competition making a selection particularly to focus on Aker?

A move that could well backfire:frown Jack should be in instead of crouch
On another note...what did Voges do, runover Roosy's cat ??
Where as Reg must be walking Roosy's dog.... after he's washed the car;)
Would also like to have a look at Laidlaw in the 1's !

j s
25th May 2007, 12:32 PM
This week's umpires...

WESTERN BULLDOGS vs SYDNEY
Vozzo, Ryan, K.Nicholls

To be more accurate....

WESTERN BULLDOGS, Vozzo, Ryan, K.Nicholls vs SYDNEY

annew
25th May 2007, 06:17 PM
On Fox news Crouch in for Dempster

TheMase
25th May 2007, 07:27 PM
To be more accurate....

WESTERN BULLDOGS, Vozzo, Ryan, K.Nicholls vs SYDNEY

:D

TheMase
25th May 2007, 07:28 PM
On Fox news Crouch in for Dempster

That is a little disappointing. I would have though that Dempster has more to offer than Bevan, although the bulldogs are not a particularly tall side.

Nico
25th May 2007, 08:12 PM
That is a little disappointing. I would have though that Dempster has more to offer than Bevan, although the bulldogs are not a particularly tall side.

Mase, I heard this on SEN on my way home. Frankly I am offended at this selection. How on earth can any sane person have Bevan in front of Dempster, unless there is a selection something we dont know.

You mentioned height, but the one thing the Bullies are is quick. So they go for a very slow unskilled labourious footballer in Bevan before Dempster who has pace, knows how to take a handball receive because he gets in the right position, rarely gets pinged for HTB, can KICK the bleedin' pill, hits targets from a long range and above all improves the structure of the backline.

So we bring in 1 who was dropped for his abject laziness and retain another slow thinking little squirt. Last week's backline was almost the perfect combo we could have. Bevan got a few touches, but how anyone could possibly say he played better than, and was of greater value to the team than Dempster who was coming back from a knee injury, is beyond my comprehension.

All is forgiven because Crouch gets a bit of the footy against a team that would struggle in the Suburban Eastern Football League Division 1 or 2 in Melbourne. Just outrageous and if this is what having the co-captains in on selection meetings produces then I say leave them in the corridor.

Wouldn't blame Dempster for punching a few holes in the walls at home.

Legs Akimbo
25th May 2007, 08:33 PM
This is an embarrasing outcome of the in group picking the team.

Jeffers1984
25th May 2007, 10:23 PM
I had to even get clarification because i can't believe the selection here.

Here it is http://sydneyswans.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsId=43960

ROUND 9
WESTERN BULLDOGS vs. SYDNEY SWANS
Sunday, 1.10pm - Manuka Oval, Canberra

SYDNEY SWANS
B: Richards, Barry, Crouch
HB: Kennelly, C.Bolton, Mathews
C: Ablett, Kirk, Malceski
HF: R.O'Keefe, O'Loughlin, J.Bolton
F: Davis, Hall, Buchanan
FOLL: Jolly, Goodes, Fosdike
I/C: Bevan, Everitt, McVeigh, Schneider
IN: Crouch
OUT: Dempster

WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Power, Harris, Morris
HB: Gilbee, Wight, Hargrave
C: Eagleton, West, Akermanis
HF: Giansiracusa, Johnson, Cooney
F: McDougall, Darcy, Higgins
FOLL: Street, Cross, Boyd
I/C: Addison, Faulkner, Hahn, Ray
IN: Faulkner, McDougall, Power
OUT: Griffen (hamstring), McMahon (thigh), Harbrow

voodooguru
25th May 2007, 11:04 PM
With "Lady" McMahon and Griffo out and Mal and Tadhg playing so well, it's not too bad, losing Dempster. Bevan and Dempster were, imo, equal last week; I think Roos wants to be sure he can shut down the Bullies playmakers, expecting to win up forward and down back. Similar to the game we played agianst Port.

Robbo
26th May 2007, 12:25 PM
Why is the playing group continuously picking Paul Bevan? Are they in love with him?

Dempster is a better all round footballer IMO.

ernie koala
26th May 2007, 02:52 PM
Doggies must be licking their lips :D
A team with McVeigh, Bevan, and an out of form Crouch...........OUCH :eek:

NMWBloods
26th May 2007, 03:44 PM
I think they'll be busy licking their wounds!

Bloody Hell
26th May 2007, 09:59 PM
He was named on the bench last week, however prior to that I can't recall him not being named on the ground.
That's what I thought.

First signs maybe???

Bloody Hell
26th May 2007, 10:01 PM
That's a ridiculious selection...Dempster?!?, You've lost me there Mr Roos.

sharp9
27th May 2007, 10:54 AM
Personlly I reckon the issue is that Dempster is not really a backman - he should be on a wing or HBF at most.

Last week after several weeks out he was towelled up, embarrassed in fact, absolutely smashed by some good but not spectacular forwards. Bevan is a better stopper, unfortunately and Dempster would be competing with Eski, Kennelly etc for a spot if the Match Committee think there need to be X number of actual defenders.

Foreign Legion
27th May 2007, 01:35 PM
Dempster will surely come in for Kennelly and I guess Grundy for Davis?

Nico
27th May 2007, 06:02 PM
But for the out on the full clanger I thought Dempster played more than a handy game on Johnson.