PDA

View Full Version : Rocca out for 2

goswannie14
26th June 2007, 09:46 PM
Rocca rolled: Magpie out for two (http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=46034) It was a dog act that he claimed as accidental. Any high shot should be punished, so common sense has prevailed.

Zlatorog
26th June 2007, 09:48 PM
Bravo!:cool:

NMWBloods
26th June 2007, 10:04 PM
I didn't think it was a "dog act", but 1-2 weeks was about right.

Chow-Chicker
26th June 2007, 10:09 PM
FWIW I reckon David Hille's knock was far worse and he only got a week. But I guess they didn't appeal....

Damien
26th June 2007, 10:17 PM
FWIW I reckon David Hille's knock was far worse and he only got a week. But I guess they didn't appeal....

Good record though?

Media are yet to get a grip with how the points system works and compare based on weeks got instead of points got etc. The Goodes case this year was a prime example.

ScottH
27th June 2007, 07:15 AM
I didn't think it was a "dog act", but 1-2 weeks was about right.

No. it wasn't. He kept his elbow in. He was just unfortunate that Dempster was leaning over as he accelerated and made fairly vicious contact with the head.

But, C'est la vie!

AnnieH
27th June 2007, 11:13 AM
gotta be happy with that, eh!!:D
sucked in rocca - you deserved four.

573v30
27th June 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm glad Eddie couldn't buy his way out of the tribunal decision.

liz
27th June 2007, 11:42 AM
I don't think it was a dog act, and I think the head high contact was accidental. That said, Dempster was slightly crouched as he turned - he didn't duck at the moment that Rocca made contact as some one-eyed Pies fans seem to have suggested. One even had the audacity to suggest that Dempster overplayed the contact because he was tired and wanted a rest!

Ironically, I think Malty Mick was one of the strongest components of coming down on head high contact, even if accidental. And the guidance issued at the start of this season clearly stated that while players are well within their rights to bump / hip and shoulder, if it goes wrong and they make forceful high contact, even accidentally, they can expect to be suspended for it.

I do find it hard to understand what case the Pies thought they had for challenging it.

swantastic
27th June 2007, 12:43 PM
What about the incident this year with Mathew Wealen he jumped in the air and made head high contact and didnt get a thing i cant remember who it was but no wonder the Pies challenged it.The tribunal is so inconsistent its not funny,no body knows where they stand any more.When i first saw it i thought"your gawwwn Rocca" and when i looked at it in the numerous replays IMO it looked even worse.The only reason Dempster copped it was because he tried to head Didak off at the pass and cut the angle of chase down.

liz
27th June 2007, 12:57 PM
What about the incident this year with Mathew Wealen he jumped in the air and made head high contact and didnt get a thing i cant remember who it was but no wonder the Pies challenged it.The tribunal is so inconsistent its not funny,no body knows where they stand any more.When i first saw it i thought"your gawwwn Rocca" and when i looked at it in the numerous replays IMO it looked even worse.The only reason Dempster copped it was because he tried to head Didak off at the pass and cut the angle of chase down.

You're thinking of the Whelan vs Luke Ball incident.

IIRC (and my memory of the details is a bit hazy), that was more of a collision between the two players, both of whom were moving towards each other and, I think, competing for the ball. Ball slipped at the point of impact.

Whelan wasn't trying to bump a bloke going for the ball without trying to get it himself, nor shepherding a bloke chasing. The distinction may be minor but I reckon its a significant one. It's not that unlike the Kirk / Cornes incident a few weeks ago where Kirk collected Chad high but clearly entered the contest with the aim of getting the ball, not bumping the man. He copped a reprimand for that and I thought his defence, had the Swans challenged it, would have had more merit than Collingwood's of Rocca, even moreso because Kirk actually adjusted his body position at the last minute, when contact was unavoidable, and managed to ensure most of the contact was to Cornes' shoulder rather than head.

goalkicker
27th June 2007, 03:13 PM
When was the last time the swans put on a decent hit.Dempester had no idea that Rocca was near him.You would think his team mates would have reacted.Sounds abit like sour grapes.

AnnieH
27th June 2007, 03:16 PM
When was the last time the swans put on a decent hit.Dempester had no idea that Rocca was near him.You would think his team mates would have reacted.Sounds abit like sour grapes.

that's why we have big bad bustling blind barry ... every now and again, he'll put on a decent hit (albeit behind the camera's back):D

liz
27th June 2007, 03:23 PM

Probably not since Maxfield retired. We don't really have anyone in the team with the inclination to do this anymore.

RogueSwan
27th June 2007, 04:55 PM
Rocca rolled: Magpie out for two (http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=46034) It was a dog act that he claimed as accidental. Any high shot should be punished, so common sense has prevailed.
I agree with others here that is wasn't a dog act.
What upsets me is that the Hawks, Saints and the Pies get a benefit out of our injury! :mad:
the Aints and Hawks get to play a Rocca-less Pies, whilst the Pies were able to get a goal through their extra man, as Dempster limped off.
I realise what goes around comes around in regards to suspensions and any other year we would have a good chance of playing the Cats minus Mooney :p but I still don't like the fact we don't get any direct benefit from the Rocca incident. :(

NMWBloods
27th June 2007, 04:58 PM
whilst the Pies were able to get a goal through their extra man, as Dempster limped off.
We had the ball, so that's possibly our fault for turning it over before a replacement came on.

SMFC
1st July 2007, 10:26 PM
I thought he was rough to get suspended as I take the view it was a fair bump and in the act of shepherding, especially what fans and the like come to perceive as 'shepherding via a bump'. It sucks performing an action of the game can now see you rubbed out.

The only defence I have to give the AFL is that they had dvd's or any head contact and the pre-season warning that its gonna be punished if it happens at all.

Now, with Leo Barry's perfect shepherd on "good-looking" Cameron Ling, this should even be brought up. It was purely fair, a shepherd on a tackler a metre from the ball, the impact giving whiplash to Ling instead of the contact hitting his noggin directly. I'll be laughing its brought up as a f'n shambles. They way mooney went on afterwards was ridiculous.

The defence - Leo's bump has not spoilt any of Cameron's good looks.

goswannie14
2nd July 2007, 06:05 AM
I thought he was rough to get suspended as I take the view it was a fair bump and in the act of shepherding, especially what fans and the like come to perceive as 'shepherding via a bump'. It sucks performing an action of the game can now see you rubbed out.How can it be a fair bump when he made contact with the head?

ScottH
2nd July 2007, 07:28 AM
How can it be a fair bump when he made contact with the head?
Not much different to Leo's against Ling, except Ling was upright, where as Dempster was leaning over. It looked nasty, and probably deserved a reprimand.

I would be very disappointed if Leo is found guilty, there was no intent, or recklessness, just unlucky to cop Glass jaw Ling on the chin, with the point of the shoulder.

reigning premier
2nd July 2007, 06:18 PM
Not much different to Leo's against Ling, except Ling was upright, where as Dempster was leaning over. It looked nasty, and probably deserved a reprimand.

I would be very disappointed if Leo is found guilty, there was no intent, or recklessness, just unlucky to cop Glass jaw Ling on the chin, with the point of the shoulder.

That's the difference. By all accounts, and looking at the replays on Saturday, there was never any head contact. So therefore, Leaping put on a legitinate bump, with due care, in a legal play for the ball, whilst defending his team mate, and WITHOUT making head contact.

ScottH
3rd July 2007, 07:13 AM
That's the difference. By all accounts, and looking at the replays on Saturday, there was never any head contact. So therefore, Leaping put on a legitinate bump, with due care, in a legal play for the ball, whilst defending his team mate, and WITHOUT making head contact.If he didn't make head contact, how was Ling left groggy? :confused:

swantastic
3rd July 2007, 07:17 AM
If he didn't make head contact, how was Ling left groggy? :confused:Vodka in his water bottle.

reigning premier
3rd July 2007, 12:12 PM
If he didn't make head contact, how was Ling left groggy? :confused:

Because he's a redhead...... Who knows what happens to them!

But seriously, I think you'll find that from whiplash... A dramatic and rapid cracking of the head in the opposite direction of which it was intending to travel, can @@@@ you up!