PDA

View Full Version : Melcho in the midfield is a must.

swantastic
30th June 2007, 10:24 AM
Just what the doctor ordered, we need some one there with pin point accuracy to hit our forwards with a bullet pass to their chests.In time he will be in the MF all the time as defensively he is not that crash hot.IMO he is more of an attacking MF.

Thoughts?

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 12:23 PM
I agree - I've always said this. Yes, we lose a bit without his half back drive, but I think we would get better with him in the midfield.

timthefish
30th June 2007, 12:34 PM
particularly so when kennelly returns

doctor swan
30th June 2007, 12:47 PM
and he has pace, which we so lacking in the middle at the moment

swantastic
30th June 2007, 12:51 PM
and he has pace, which we so lacking in the middle at the momentWe have enough in and under players ,IMO he complements the MF with his great skills and run.

stellation
30th June 2007, 06:29 PM
I'm not too sure that he would have the same impact in the midfield that he has playing from half back. He gets a lot of support across half back in creating a nice little pocket of space to work from, or being the last guy receiving a handball from a build up; he won't get that playing in the midfield. The HBF line is one of the more attacking parts of modern football, no shame in playing there.

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 06:32 PM
Two problems with Malceski on HBF:

- He's not a great defensive player

- We fall down getting the ball effectlvely from wing to I50 - we need players with better disposal skills further up the field

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 06:35 PM
Two problems with Malceski on HBF:

- He's not a great defensive player

- We fall down getting the ball effectlvely from wing to I50 - we need players with better disposal skills further up the fieldAll valid points, but we don't have anyone else at HBF atm. When Kennelly returns... throw him in the middle! Could only be good for us. (I see the wing as the middle for us too :))

stellation
30th June 2007, 06:38 PM
I do agree with you on both counts, but
1. I do think that you can play HBF and not be the greatest defender- but a large part of that comes down to having a dynamic coach who can recognize when to make changes quickly.
2. It would be nice to throw someone with better skills on the wing, but that is a role that I feel does require the ability to win a one on one contest, which I don't see as being Malceski's strong suit. I do think he could do the role, but I don't think he would appear anywhere near as damaging as he seems currently with the team play across half back.

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 06:40 PM
Yeah - fair points. I think he should be trialled there just to see.

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 06:49 PM

2. It would be nice to throw someone with better skills on the wing, but that is a role that I feel does require the ability to win a one on one contest, which I don't see as being Malceski's strong suit. I do think he could do the role, but I don't think he would appear anywhere near as damaging as he seems currently with the team play across half back.
Yeah you are right. I'm trying to create something out of nothing (although I do think he could be moulded). When Kennelly comes back Melcho/Eski will be all the better for it and we will reap the benefits of him at HBF.

I'm just so mad today (McVeigh!!!!). Time for another beer. I don't think I've posted this much on RWO for years. Expect my posts to deteriorate :)

573v30
30th June 2007, 06:50 PM
Once Kennelly comes back in, Malceski should be in the midfield and replace McVeigh or Mathews. No place for hacks in the Swans lineup...

ROK Lobster
30th June 2007, 06:58 PM
1. I do think that you can play HBF and not be the greatest defender- but a large part of that comes down to having a dynamic coach who can recognize when to make changes quickly.It's also easier if the other 5 are defenders, or at least a couple of them.

Nico
30th June 2007, 11:58 PM
Malceski has let himself down the last few weeks with some pretty ordinary turnovers (kicks straight to opposition) under no pressure. One of the culprits in kicking wide to the graveyard of HFF.

Nico
1st July 2007, 12:00 AM
It's also easier if the other 5 are defenders, or at least a couple of them.

Did someone say Bevan was a defender?

Will someone please tell me what he is apart from hard at it and a trier (which he is not).

NMWBloods
1st July 2007, 12:16 AM
Malceski has let himself down the last few weeks with some pretty ordinary turnovers (kicks straight to opposition) under no pressure. One of the culprits in kicking wide to the graveyard of HFF.
Yes, he's been rushed when coming out of defence and his accuracy has dropped. I think this has been part of our problem getting the ball forward efficiently.

JF_Bay22_SCG
1st July 2007, 12:39 AM
All valid points, but we don't have anyone else at HBF atm. When Kennelly returns... throw him in the middle! Could only be good for us. (I see the wing as the middle for us too :))

I see Tadgh as being too crucial in getting the ball forward quickly from HB. I don't know if he has the aerobic capacity or physical stature to cope in the midfield (apart from on the wing) to be honest.

When LRT comes back we can maybe move Ted Richards to FB, move Leo Barry to HBF with Eski on either the other HBF or wing.

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
1st July 2007, 12:44 AM
Yes, he's been rushed when coming out of defence and his accuracy has dropped. I think this has been part of our problem getting the ball forward efficiently.

Malcevski apart from Craig Bolton appears to be the only player in our whole defence who appears willing to kick the frigging pill at all. The others have this pretty handpass game. Looks great when it comes off (Port & Bulldogs game) & looks terrible when it gets worked out (Pies & Cats games).

Malcelvski as one of the only players who CAN actually kick it properly is heceforth placed under more pressure. If we had other defenders who bothered to kick it (and could be relied upon to do so) then players like him will not be being placed under as much pressure as they are.

JF

NMWBloods
1st July 2007, 01:02 AM
The others have this pretty handpass game. Looks great when it comes off (Port & Bulldogs game) & looks terrible when it gets worked out (Pies & Cats games).
One of the big problems with our game is that we try to play dry weather football in the wet. We don't force the ball forward - we keep trying to keep possession and finesse it. Of course that doesn't work and we turn it over. They need to learn to kick it long and keep forcing it forward in slippery conditions.

On a similar note, even in dry conditions they need to stop thinking that every disposal has to be pinpoint - they spend so much time looking for the almost certain pass that the opposition has time to get back and cover the forward passes, hence why we go sideways. Then the forward line gets flooded and we turn the ball over still trying to find the perfect pass, often by leading into the pocket.

Wazza
1st July 2007, 11:22 AM
;) I think I posted back in April about the possiblity of moving Eski to the midfiled for some on ball time due to the lack of pace and skills in our midfield group. I think is was Buchanans lack of foot skills I mentioned.

There were not too many who supported moving eski back then.

He looks more comfortable when running the ball out than when trying to play a close checking role. He really moves and plays like a classic wingman - he could play a great link man - outside midfielder. We have too many in and under types we need players who can run with the ball and create fast breaks.

Roos could try him for a 10 mins a qtr? and start to ease him into the role?

Cheers

Waz

TheMase
1st July 2007, 11:42 AM
I honestly think Malceski is a victim of our gameplan. When he is playing well and his disposal is excellent, he is playing more natural. When he forced to try and do the team thing, and go for the wings that his when his disposal suffers because he is caught in two minds.

He heads for the corridor, and every player heads out of it, he is then forced to go wide which is not as natural of a kick (when you have an attacking mindset).

Nico
1st July 2007, 11:53 AM
Malcevski apart from Craig Bolton appears to be the only player in our whole defence who appears willing to kick the frigging pill at all. The others have this pretty handpass game. Looks great when it comes off (Port & Bulldogs game) & looks terrible when it gets worked out (Pies & Cats games).

Malcelvski as one of the only players who CAN actually kick it properly is heceforth placed under more pressure. If we had other defenders who bothered to kick it (and could be relied upon to do so) then players like him will not be being placed under as much pressure as they are.

JF

Another factor is that he is now getting far more attention from the opposition. When Kennelly comes back I suspect our run off half back will start to worry sides a heck of a lot more.

Lucky Knickers
1st July 2007, 12:49 PM
I really hope Melcho picks himself up and dusts himself off. I think he's lost a bit of confidence and agree with Nico re attention.

stellation
1st July 2007, 02:55 PM
Was the HTB called on Malceski when he had his top ripped off by a Cat a little harsh? I'm not sure how we was supposed to dispose of the ball while he had his jumper over his head. Did he have prior opportunity?

NMWBloods
1st July 2007, 03:20 PM
Was the HTB called on Malceski when he had his top ripped off by a Cat a little harsh? I'm not sure how we was supposed to dispose of the ball while he had his jumper over his head. Did he have prior opportunity?
Yes.

Lucky Knickers
1st July 2007, 03:24 PM
I second that. I'm not sure what he thought was going to happen or where he was going. Not one for the highlights tape.

ugg
1st July 2007, 03:38 PM
He had prior opportunity prior to his jumper being ripped off. Tried to beat the tackle of Varcoe and failed. Correct decision.

liz
1st July 2007, 03:45 PM
I really hope Melcho picks himself up and dusts himself off. I think he's lost a bit of confidence and agree with Nico re attention.

I think he's taking it upon himself to make things happen - showing excellent leadership for one so inexperienced. Sure, some of his disposals and decision making in recent weeks haven't been up to the standard he set early in the season but at least he's continuing to attack the ball and is taking a few risks.

A few of his far more seasoned team mates could learn a thing or two from him.

swantastic
1st July 2007, 05:40 PM
I really hope Melcho picks himself up and dusts himself off. I think he's lost a bit of confidence and agree with Nico re attention.Ah now people are catching on good on ya LN,at least people can spell that unlike his proper name.."Malcevski ":rolleyes:

sharp9
2nd July 2007, 07:57 AM
He had prior opportunity prior to his jumper being ripped off. Tried to beat the tackle of Varcoe and failed. Correct decision.

You are compleately, utterly and totally wrong. He had absolutely no opportunity to dispose other than to immediately throw the ball to hand or foot. "Prior opportunity" includes being allowed to look up and direct the disposal toward a team mate. Unfortunately the umps have been confused into paying free kicks to reward a a plain old tackle. They even paid a couple TO sydney when there was no opportunity. It is a sick joke the way the rule is being butchered.

liz
2nd July 2007, 09:43 AM
You are compleately, utterly and totally wrong. He had absolutely no opportunity to dispose other than to immediately throw the ball to hand or foot. "Prior opportunity" includes being allowed to look up and direct the disposal toward a team mate. Unfortunately the umps have been confused into paying free kicks to reward a a plain old tackle. They even paid a couple TO sydney when there was no opportunity. It is a sick joke the way the rule is being butchered.

I watched bits of the first three quarters again yesterday and having seen this tackle again, think you're completely correct on this one. There was another later in the game where he did have prior opportunity but in this one his arm was grabbed almost the same split second as he took possession.

It's an unfortunate one because the fact he wasn't completely wrapped up probably gave the impression he was trying to break off the tackle but reality is that he had no chance to legally dispose of the ball once his arm was grabbed. Had he been fully tackled rather than just had his arm held onto, it probably would have been a bounce.

Though even that is questionable given - as you point out - the two or three ludicrous other HTB decisions that were paid (and a couple of blatant ones that were missed).

NMWBloods
2nd July 2007, 11:36 AM
Why is it "Melcho" and not "Malcho"?

Lucky Knickers
2nd July 2007, 11:38 AM
Swantastic can't spell??????

stellation
2nd July 2007, 12:10 PM
Swantastic can't spell??????
Well he did look at your name then use the initials LN ;)

reigning premier
2nd July 2007, 01:20 PM
particularly so when kennelly returns

Exactly.... When Kennelly and LRT return. Until then, we need him driving out of the backline.

If we can get him in the MF after that, he will be the ultimate "link man" connecting up our back and fwd lines. It will also get him a little closer to goal and allow him to bag a few more goals himself....

Industrial Fan
2nd July 2007, 01:36 PM
I dont agree at all.

His composure is unbelievable under pressure. He's similar to Joel Bowden. Can find an option and space where there is none.

I would push kennelly to the midfield before the eski.

NMWBloods
2nd July 2007, 02:24 PM
His clangers are up and his efficiency is well down in recent weeks under higher pressure.

swantastic
2nd July 2007, 02:52 PM
Why is it "Melcho" and not "Malcho"?Because i said so thats why,its "MELCHO"

NMWBloods
2nd July 2007, 02:57 PM
Because i said so thats why,its "MELCHO"
So it doesn't need to really link to his name then...

swantastic
2nd July 2007, 03:01 PM
So it doesn't need to really link to his name then...Nope just about every body on here knows who we are talking about when we say "Melcho",your a difficult bugger to please.

Industrial Fan
2nd July 2007, 03:03 PM
His clangers are up and his efficiency is well down in recent weeks under higher pressure.Oh, I must be wrong then.

swantastic
2nd July 2007, 03:04 PM
Swantastic can't spell??????LN you have really hurt my feelings with that comment and from now on you can find your own Capper material.

swantastic
2nd July 2007, 03:10 PM
His clangers are up and his efficiency is well down in recent weeks under higher pressure.Yeh his clangers are up to about 1 a week now:rolleyes: and his efficiency is down to about 90%:rolleyes: yeh he's really bad.

Young Blood
2nd July 2007, 03:10 PM
His clangers are up and his efficiency is well down in recent weeks under higher pressure.

Agreed. He looks great when he has space (and is good at running the lines to make space) but has struggled when under closer pressure from his opponents. Still early in his career so let's hope he can learn to play well with the added attention.

Its a credit to him that he is often being matched up by a 'defensive forward' - but now he needs to take the next step.

ScottH
3rd July 2007, 08:20 AM
Yeh his clangers are up to about 1 a week now:rolleyes: and his efficiency is down to about 90%:rolleyes: yeh he's really bad.

Rnd Name P Eff % Clangers
1 Nick Malceski 18 89 2 *
2 Nick Malceski 24 92 1 *
3 Nick Malceski 16 88 2 *
4 Nick Malceski 20 85 0 *
5 Nick Malceski 28 93 4 *
6 Nick Malceski 15 80 2
7 Nick Malceski 18 100 3
8 Nick Malceski 22 100 0 *
9 Nick Malceski 23 83 2
10 Nick Malceski 22 55 6 *
11 Nick Malceski 24 88 4 *
12 Nick Malceski 21 81 4
13 Nick Malceski 26 85 8
* = When Kennelly Played.

swantastic
3rd July 2007, 05:58 PM
Rnd Name P Eff % Clangers
1 Nick Malceski 18 89 2 *
2 Nick Malceski 24 92 1 *
3 Nick Malceski 16 88 2 *
4 Nick Malceski 20 85 0 *
5 Nick Malceski 28 93 4 *
6 Nick Malceski 15 80 2
7 Nick Malceski 18 100 3
8 Nick Malceski 22 100 0 *
9 Nick Malceski 23 83 2
10 Nick Malceski 22 55 6 *
11 Nick Malceski 24 88 4 *
12 Nick Malceski 21 81 4
13 Nick Malceski 26 85 8
* = When Kennelly Played.Lets put this onto perspective,Rnd 13 was in the pouring rain for a while so not the only one,Rnd10 against Bummers they were all crap and we had the umpires against us,Rnd12 the whole bloody team were atrocious.

So on that he averages 2.92 Clangers/21.3 Disposals /86.07 Eff% per game and dont forget to take into account that a Free against counts as a clanger and we all know how crap the umpires are.The only poor game he has had this year was against the Bummers.

What does Kennelly have to do with it,nothing.Clangers with Kennelly 19,Clangers with out 19.

So on summary of Melcho's form this year i reckon it's been pretty bloody "Swantastic"

reigning premier
3rd July 2007, 06:07 PM
But the clangers are trending upward..... :D

I wouldn't be pissing and moaning to much, they're still pretty damn good stats!! I don't think there would be many that would have better... Not in amongst the Swans at least!!

NMWBloods
3rd July 2007, 06:26 PM
Yeh his clangers are up to about 1 a week now:rolleyes: and his efficiency is down to about 90%:rolleyes: yeh he's really bad.
Why do people always turn relative measures into absolute measures!?!

swantastic
3rd July 2007, 06:49 PM
Why do people always turn relative measures into absolute measures!?!To prove a point.

Bloody Hell
3rd July 2007, 07:17 PM
Oh, I must be wrong then.

That's funny stuff.

dread and might
4th July 2007, 11:04 AM
page 1: discussion
skip to last page: personal attacks. This place is becoming BF.

On another note regarding the stats, forgive my ignorance but how can you have 100% efficiency and 3 clangers?

Finally, onto the actual topic, People, including myself, have been beating the "kenelly to a wing" drum for years. What are the chances of Malceski going there instead? Who would be better suited to the position? and; Is either likely to happen?

Plugger46
4th July 2007, 11:14 AM
Did someone say Bevan was a defender?

Killed Leon Davis two weeks ago. Davis is no worldbeater, but he can be dangerous.

Bevan is pretty ordinary but I've seen plenty worse.

NMWBloods
4th July 2007, 02:18 PM
To prove a point.
I don't understand what the point is you're meant to be proving...

ScottH
4th July 2007, 02:36 PM
Lets put this onto perspective,Rnd 13 was in the pouring rain for a while so not the only one,Rnd10 against Bummers they were all crap and we had the umpires against us,Rnd12 the whole bloody team were atrocious. Yep those things don't help, but he had 16 clangers in 9 round, then 22 in the next 4. Maybe there are a number of factors that you could reason for that. I thought it showed how the team has performed in relation to Maceski's form. Maybe he is taking more risks thus causing more clangers.

So on that he averages 2.92 Clangers/21.3 Disposals /86.07 Eff% per game and dont forget to take into account that a Free against counts as a clanger and we all know how crap the umpires are.The only poor game he has had this year was against the Bummers. Agree, he has been excellent. Probably the best swan out there. However, his good decisions/plays are starting to be overlooked by the bad ones.

What does Kennelly have to do with it,nothing.Clangers with Kennelly 19,Clangers with out 19. I was looking to see if their was a correlation between Kennelly missing and Malceski being under more pressure than when Tadhg plays. But it doesn't.

So on summary of Melcho's form this year i reckon it's been pretty bloody "Swantastic"Bloody Oath.

liz
4th July 2007, 03:09 PM
Maybe he is taking more risks thus causing more clangers.

In general he takes more risks than most Swans - it is unreasonable, for instance, to compare his clanger rate with players who play it safe and rarely create anything extraordinary when they take a risk and it comes off.

My impression is that he's been taking a few more risks in recent weeks, maybe as a response to Kennelly not being there (his speed helps the defence clear the ball quite often and without it they have to find other ways) but also quite probably as a result of so few other players busting a gut to make things happen. Add to the mix the fact that at the start of the year few teams would have explicitly planned for how to pressurise him, and now the probably are, it's not surprising that he's been unable to maintain the impeccable level of disposal of earlier in the year.

NMWBloods
4th July 2007, 03:13 PM
Exactly.

ScottH
4th July 2007, 08:42 PM
In general he takes more risks than most Swans - it is unreasonable, for instance, to compare his clanger rate with players who play it safe and rarely create anything extraordinary when they take a risk and it comes off.True. As he has gained more confidence, he makes more plays. Also players with the highest clangers, usually get the ball a lot and usuually under pressure.

My impression is that he's been taking a few more risks in recent weeks, maybe as a response to Kennelly not being there (his speed helps the defence clear the ball quite often and without it they have to find other ways) but also quite probably as a result of so few other players busting a gut to make things happen. Add to the mix the fact that at the start of the year few teams would have explicitly planned for how to pressurise him, and now the probably are, it's not surprising that he's been unable to maintain the impeccable level of disposal of earlier in the year. That's why I highlighted the Kennelly games. More responsibility would have fallen his way, which could add to the pressure.

Xie Shan
4th July 2007, 11:36 PM
True. As he has gained more confidence, he makes more plays. Also players with the highest clangers, usually get the ball a lot and usuually under pressure.

Yep. Though watching him this year, I've found it easy to forget he hasn't played 50 games yet, so there's probably a learning curve in there as well, where he will learn from his mistakes. I noticed he got caught HTB a few times (including the one where he lost his guernsey) from being too slow to dispose of the ball.

swantastic
4th July 2007, 11:50 PM
page 1: discussion
skip to last page: personal attacks. This place is becoming BF.

On another note regarding the stats, forgive my ignorance but how can you have 100% efficiency and 3 clangers?

Finally, onto the actual topic, People, including myself, have been beating the "kenelly to a wing" drum for years. What are the chances of Malceski going there instead? Who would be better suited to the position? and; Is either likely to happen?Because Free's against count as clangers,so he might have had 3 free's against.

swantastic
4th July 2007, 11:52 PM
I don't understand what the point is you're meant to be proving...It was just a figure of speech.

JF_Bay22_SCG
5th July 2007, 12:16 AM
In general he takes more risks than most Swans - it is unreasonable, for instance, to compare his clanger rate with players who play it safe and rarely create anything extraordinary when they take a risk and it comes off.

My impression is that he's been taking a few more risks in recent weeks, maybe as a response to Kennelly not being there (his speed helps the defence clear the ball quite often and without it they have to find other ways) but also quite probably as a result of so few other players busting a gut to make things happen.

I think we are starting to get to the crux of the problems the team are experiencing at the moment. With Tagdh gone we have other defenders like Malceski & Leo Barry trying to give the team the drive from the FB/HB line in the exact same way he did it. It is just not working & opposition coaches are targeting the fact that Eski has appeared to start getting rattled by means of his sheer workload & with Leo Barry because of his lack of pace & more often than not lack of a teammate to help him get the ball out of the defensive 50.

What is the latest for LRT & Tagdh? How soon can we expect to get them back?

JF

ScottH
5th July 2007, 07:09 AM
Yep. Though watching him this year, I've found it easy to forget he hasn't played 50 games yet, so there's probably a learning curve in there as well, where he will learn from his mistakes. I noticed he got caught HTB a few times (including the one where he lost his guernsey) from being too slow to dispose of the ball.Yes, less than 50 games, imagine where he'd be if he hadn't spent a year on the sidelines with a bung knee.

swantastic
13th July 2007, 07:52 AM
Melcho (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22065490%255E19773,00.html) signs on the dotted line.

I'm very happy to be staying in Sydney," Melcho said. "I'd love to play out my career at the Swans.

"Mum wanted me to come back down to Melbourne, but I told her I like it up here."
Good on ya Melcho

Melcho leads the Swans with 69 rebounds from the defensive 50. He is also ranked No. 1 in effective kicks with 170, No. 1 in kicks, No. 1 in marks and third in inside 50s with 48.

Lucky Knickers
13th July 2007, 10:21 AM
Must take him forever to get dressed! ;)
Fabulous news that Swantastics Man Melcho has resigned! Happy days.

reigning premier
13th July 2007, 11:50 AM
Here's hoping he doesn't do a McVeigh and fall in a heap after what starts to look like, a brilliant career...

Lucky Knickers
13th July 2007, 12:49 PM
Here's hoping he doesn't do a McVeigh and fall in a heap after what starts to look like, a brilliant career...
I don't ever recall McVeigh showing any signs of "brilliance" - did I miss something?
I wasn't really into watching him run around for Penno :rolleyes:

reigning premier
13th July 2007, 12:57 PM
I don't ever recall McVeigh showing any signs of "brilliance" - did I miss something?
I wasn't really into watching him run around for Penno :rolleyes:

He was pretty good in 05 and very good in 06.... apparently.....

Hard to remember back that far when he's been so @@@@ for so long....

hammo
13th July 2007, 01:07 PM
Great news! The Hawks can forget about trading for him now.

swantastic
15th July 2007, 08:28 PM
MELCHOwas a gun today through the midfield today 28 possesions,10 Handball recieves 2 goals 1 simply swantastic.:D

stellation
15th July 2007, 08:38 PM
MELCHOwas a gun today through the midfield today 28 possesions,10 Handball recieves 2 goals 1 simply swantastic.:D
Through being the important word there, el tastico, not in :p

NMWBloods
15th July 2007, 10:27 PM
An interesting thing would be to see if he was able to get the ball as much if he was in the midfield. He is fed the ball off half back (as should be the case), hence why he gets so many possessions.

stellation
16th July 2007, 11:31 AM
An interesting thing would be to see if he was able to get the ball as much if he was in the midfield. He is fed the ball off half back (as should be the case), hence why he gets so many possessions.
That's exactly my concern. I think of the two dashing HBs Tadhg seems more able to win the ball on his own.

Robbo
16th July 2007, 02:57 PM
Malceski is a midfielder.....pure and simple.

Keep him there.

NMWBloods
16th July 2007, 05:11 PM
Malceski is a midfielder.....pure and simple.

Keep him there.
Keep him in the backline or move him into the midfield?