PDA

View Full Version : How Slow Is Mcveigh!!!!

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 04:32 PM
He must go. begone. shamoosh. arivaderci. sayonara. You @@@@ing HACK!!!!

Ahli
30th June 2007, 04:32 PM
About as slow as Matthews!

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 04:37 PM
There are a lot of hacks running around today - McVeigh, Mathews, J Bolton, Bevan. Buchanan and Dempster aren't far above that.

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 04:39 PM
I think bolton has been ok. He's showing endeavour. And I don't like to mention Bevan anymore :(

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 04:49 PM
Bolton shows endeavour and then butchers the ball!

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 05:46 PM
he played ok. there are 2 before him that should be gone. and you know that

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 05:48 PM
Yes - I didn't say he was the first who should be dropped.

But for a guy of his experience he doesn't give us a lot - we need to look at replacing him.

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 05:49 PM
I know what your saying, but it's a bit hard to do right now. We can't just cut 5 players and replace them with what we have on our list. It's common sense

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 05:50 PM
Sure. But I'd like to see him dropped for a couple of weeks later in the year. I doubt it would hurt a lot.

alison.z
30th June 2007, 05:52 PM
i thought bevan was good today, so was vogels (particularly early) and schmidt. laidlaw did enough to warrant selection for next week i think.

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 05:53 PM
Sure. But I'd like to see him dropped for a couple of weeks later in the year. I doubt it would hurt a lot.Yeah that is a fair call, so long as those that are brought in before him can show us something.

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah that is a fair call, so long as those that are brought in before him can show us something.
Yep - it needs to be a gradual process, but it should have started already so it has less disruptive impact.

ugg
Drop McVeigh. Pretty average so far. I think Thornton can perform a similar role if he's given the chance.

Mr_Juicy
i thought bevan was good today, so was vogels (particularly early) and schmidt. laidlaw did enough to warrant selection for next week i think.The three that played today that u mentioned definitely require more games to see what they can do. None of those three played badly and I can't see anyone better to replace them at this stage. I think Hall still needs a bit of time.

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 05:56 PM
Drop McVeigh. Pretty average so far. I think Thornton can perform a similar role if he's given the chance.
He MUST go. He has provided absolutely nothing all year. For what reason, I don't know. He just seems so freaking SLOW!!!

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 06:01 PM
Yep - it needs to be a gradual process, but it should have started already so it has less disruptive impact.
No I think the process has started at the correct time. I think you might find that the process has already started. It is just that those being introduced to the team need to show their stuff from now until seasons end (which I think will be round 23). Come round 1 if he is in the startup it will be because of a lack of showing from the newly introduced players, or a lack of willing from the selection committee to let those players play, or because he pulls his finger out and miraculously finds something ( I can't see this happening though ).

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 06:11 PM
Yes, I agree it has started, but the two problems are that some of the introduced aren't showing a lot and I think a few more changes could have been made.

satchmopugdog
30th June 2007, 06:19 PM
There were at least two occasions when he just did not attack the ball. Once was against G.Ablett on the far wing and McVeigh did this little stuttewr thing and Ablett just ran at the ball and picked it up...footy is a simple game.

The second was in the last quarter. The ball was in the air. Mcveigh was the closest to the ball. He didn't leave his player to move to the ball so a Cat came from a lot further away and marked it uncontested in their forward line. If we have the ball they can't have it. We cna't get the ball if we don't go for it....or are the rules so against the player going for the ball that he is afraid of going for it?

doctor swan
30th June 2007, 06:22 PM
maybe sheedy will trade him for the other mcveigh

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 06:23 PM
Yes, I agree it has started, but the two problems are that some of the introduced aren't showing a lot and I think a few more changes could have been made.
What are those changes though? We got Schmidt we got Laidlaw. Both warranted, and after todays game, valid changes. I want to see more of them. But I don't think there are any guns on our list that will warrant selection over JB. Moore maybe (although not a gun)? But you can't have too many holistic changes without remaining competitive. The swans did well today to keep with a real contender, on their own ground, with the team they supplied. I can't ask for much more than that except a win.

We have been lauding the style of the swans for so long now, and I reckon today they showed us a bit more of what they have in offer. I hope they keep with what they have for a few more weeks yet. We might see something exciting.

I think a bit of credit is due as well as a bit of criticism today. And I'm not saying that you are criticising them NMW.

Get rid of McVeigh for a start would be a welcome change. Bevan next. But I'm happy with McVeigh going before Bevan, because I believe Bevan is playing his role well.

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 06:28 PM
The swans did well today to keep with a real contender, on their own ground, with the team they supplied. I can't ask for much more than that except a win.I only give the team a little credit. Every team has to cope with some players missing. We have Hall and Kennelly out. Collingwood smashed us last week missing Clement, Buckley and Presti, and on our home ground. We should have done better - we were a chance for only a few minutes, and a lot of that was due to Geelong's reduced bench. I think a few more changes are needed.

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 06:32 PM
I only give the team a little credit. Every team has to cope with some players missing. We have Hall and Kennelly out. Collingwood smashed us last week missing Clement, Buckley and Presti, and on our home ground. We should have done better - we were a chance for only a few minutes, and a lot of that was due to Geelong's reduced bench. I think a few more changes are needed.I'm seriously not making excuses for the team. Hall out.... PFFFFFT! I've been asking for him to stand down for a few weeks now. Kennelly out.... well we do miss him and there is no denying it, but you play with what team you can field on the day. So no excuses.

I would like you to name the changes

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 06:34 PM
McVeigh and Mathews out now.

J Bolton out in a few weeks.

Bevan out in a few weeks after that.

Why not try some more of the reserves players - I'm not sure if they would do any worse.

cruiser
30th June 2007, 06:36 PM
There are a lot of hacks running around today - McVeigh, Mathews, J Bolton, Bevan. Buchanan and Dempster aren't far above that. But what did the selectors do? They dropped Schneider!! Does anyone here think he's that bad compared to some others?

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 06:38 PM
But what did the selectors do? They dropped Schneider!! Does anyone here think he's that bad compared to some others?
I think Schneider has played reasonably well overall this year. Can't understand why he was dropped.

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 07:02 PM
McVeigh and Mathews out now.

J Bolton out in a few weeks.

Bevan out in a few weeks after that.

Why not try some more of the reserves players - I'm not sure if they would do any worse.
Those names keep cropping up week in week out and I can't disagree. But who comes in for who? I don't expect you to answer that because you don't have the reserves knowledge as far as I know.

Agree with your sentiments on can't do any worse. But can they do any better? And I know you are looking at future rather than present, so I understand why you are pushing for all those changes. I'm just not such a risk taker as yourself..

On Matthews... I think he just had a bad day on a good player today.

On Bolton... agree if no improvement, and an equal replacement. (the equal replacement bit is what annoys me the most)

On Bevan... I hate when he gets the ball, but he has shut down some good players over the last few weeks.

On McVeigh... Must go. No excuses.

ROK Lobster
30th June 2007, 07:16 PM
On Bolton... agree if no improvement, and an equal replacement. (the equal replacement bit is what annoys me the most)
There are plenty of top up players that would be equally useless. Bring in Moore, why not go for better than equal?

Mr_Juicy
30th June 2007, 07:19 PM
There are plenty of top up players that would be equally useless. Bring in Moore, why not go for better than equal?
I'll trust your judgement because you're a canberran and probably see a lot of the 2s.

Bring on Moore.

edit: why was he dropped today at the last second?

is2SWaNz
30th June 2007, 07:27 PM
I'll trust your judgement because you're a canberran and probably see a lot of the 2s.

Bring on Moore.

edit: why was he dropped today at the last second?

apparently it was hamstring tightness (although he did warm up before the game) and so Vogels was brought in.

ugg
30th June 2007, 07:29 PM
apparently it was hamstring tightness (although he did warm up before the game) and so Vogels was brought in.
That's the 'official' reason. I believe its because it wasn't pouring as expected.

ernie koala
30th June 2007, 07:54 PM
I sincerely beleive, with Mc Veigh and Mathews out, and Moore and Schnieds in, we would of been a 4-5 goal better side today, and therefore may well of won the game:rolleyes: Open your eyes Roosy, they must go !!
Those in the 2's must watch these two get picked, week in week out, and wonder what the hell is going on:confused:

woo
30th June 2007, 11:08 PM
Mcveigh was hopeless....

but I have to say on a VERY big positive we were competive in the second half...I have to say I expected it to be hard to get off the ground without hall, but once they did get going I was happy...remember geelong is at the top of the ladder, we were not playing easy beats so we can't be ridiculous hard on the team.

Without Hall though we really did in the end start to look like a good team...for once long kicks into the 50..welll done I say...the future weeks are looking good ...

ROK Lobster
30th June 2007, 11:15 PM
but I have to say on a VERY big positive we were competive in the second half...We hve to be competitive all day. Melbourne were competitive last night, tonight's losers were competitive for plenty of the game. Being competitive means @@@@ all. The talent base of all teams is so even, the clubs so professional that all teams will be competitive. We were good for patches in the second half, but @@@@ing awful much of the time. Not good enough.

NMWBloods
30th June 2007, 11:21 PM
but I have to say on a VERY big positive we were competive in the second half...I have to say I expected it to be hard to get off the ground without hall, but once they did get going I was happy...remember geelong is at the top of the ladder, we were not playing easy beats so we can't be ridiculous hard on the team.I don't think this is much of a positive. Yes, it's good that the team doesn't roll over and get smashed, but playing one quarter of football is not much of a positive. Being competitive is something that teams finishing outside the eight are happy with. Also, Geelong had no bench so it's not surprising they slowed a bit in the last quarter.

Vivien
30th June 2007, 11:23 PM
We hve to be competitive all day. Melbourne were competitive last night, tonight's losers were competitive for plenty of the game. Being competitive means @@@@ all. The talent base of all teams is so even, the clubs so professional that all teams will be competitive. We were good for patches in the second half, but @@@@ing awful much of the time. Not good enough.

Well said

Nico
30th June 2007, 11:45 PM
I frankly think that McVeigh is gutless. He hates a contested footy and just plain gives up on a contest. Throw in SLOW and you have a completely useless footballer.

smasher
1st July 2007, 06:38 AM
Maybe McVeigh is a project player and his year has been mapped out already.Some players take a while to mature.I realise that his form would not be tolerated in another team so that is the only reason he may play for us each week??????

gloveski
1st July 2007, 09:30 AM
A Final win over West Coast last year at Subi Mcveigh done a fine job on Cousins. I thought that night he had come of age but man he has gone backwards at an alarming rate..........He is as slow as Matthews if not slower can't have both in the team unless they are both at the top of their game.
Matthews has been good this year (except for yesterday but no one has been able to stop Ablett this year) unfortunately Mcveigh has not so time to go.

TheMase
1st July 2007, 11:39 AM
I always said he would be never better than an average player at best. I believe I got shot down for those comments too. :o

Snake
2nd July 2007, 01:46 PM
McVeigh is useless but Roos sees something we obviously don't. Maybe we should email this thread to [email protected], just to show our dissapointment.

barry
2nd July 2007, 02:27 PM
I always said he would be never better than an average player at best. I believe I got shot down for those comments too. :o

I was probably one who shot you down. He was highly regarded when he was drafted. Looked like he was a chance in his first few games. Up until then he was following the lines of how a pick 5 should develop. Then he stopped.

One word:
Salopek.

reigning premier
2nd July 2007, 02:55 PM
Yep.. McVeigh must go.

Trouble for the youngsters is that we have three walk up start players waiting in the wings.

Hall, Kenelly & LRT.

Kenelly may make it back this week, as might the other two. Drop McVeigh for Kenelly, and push Eski into the MF.

Who else then comes out?

Maybe Bevan for LRT. But guess what, that leaves one Barry Hall still without a spot and the fairly hard done by Schneider still on the outer.

Mathews is going OK (Though a lot around here wouldn't admit it, as is B1). So who goes to make way considering we're still trying to win this thing??

Vogels is good enough on his day as is Dempster. Laidlaw showed a bit but I'd still prefer to have any of the previously mentioned, seasoned players in there.

We can only put 22 on the ground and with the exception of one maybe two players, the others are doing the job.

vanberlo=god
2nd July 2007, 03:39 PM
keep schmitty and laidlaw in, get rid of mcfag & bevo for lrt & kenny

hall to go 10 rounds with vogels, whoever is left standing gets the spot :o

Jeffers1984
2nd July 2007, 03:53 PM
Round 1 5 Sydney JARRAD MCVEIGH NSW/ACT RAMS 07/04/1985 184cm 70kg
Extremely athletic player who is strong overhead & a good decision-maker. Joint winner of McLean Medal in AFL U16?s in 2001 but injured shoulder whilst representing Aust U17 team in Ireland in 2002. Missed the entire season but has fully recovered & reminded AFL Clubs of some of his outstanding attributes at the National AFL Draft camp with a level 15.06 beep test + recording 10.02sec for 3km (camp best for both) together with a 3.01sec for 20 metres. Brother to Essendon?s Mark McVeigh. Originally from Pennant Hills FC in Sydney.

Who we missed:

Round 1 6 Port Adelaide STEVEN SALOPEK DANDENONG STINGRAYS 21/06/1985 183cm 82kg
Tremendous ball winner in midfield. Can also play forward & kick goals or tight in defence. All Aust in U18?s this year after being AIS/AFL Academy member in 2001-2002. From Narre Warren FC. His endurance showed out at the National AFL Draft Camp where he recorded at level 14.09 beep score. His psychomotor results particularly his decision marking speed, reaction time & peripheral awareness were in the top 5%. Averaged 29 possessions in TAC Cup this year.

Round 1 9 Kangaroos HAMISH MCINTOSH MURRAY BUSHRANGERS 04/09/1984 201.8cm 100.5kg
Strong mark & agile player who kicks goals. Vic Country Rep in 2002. From Lavington FC. Giant young man at nearly 202cm & over 100kg but his second efforts & skills are excellent for a person of his size. Finished runner up in Bushrangers best and fairest award topping off a promising year.

reigning premier
2nd July 2007, 05:22 PM
Looking at the raw numbers, you'd have to say that we picked the right one.. i.e. beep test, sprint and endurance results, etc. However, this is the interesting bit;

injured shoulder whilst representing Aust U17 team in Ireland in 2002. Missed the entire season but has fully recovered
Perhaps he has not yet fully recovered physcologically and is still afraid of the contest as a result???

SimonH
18th April 2012, 02:58 AM
This is as timely a moment as we'll get for this one, as our captain capped another solid game with a classic roving-from-the-tap goal in the last quarter to put the final nail in our defeat of a Port Adelaide side for whom Steven Salopek wasn't picked to play. Nor was Mr Salopek named among the best players for his SANFL side.

I know that it's against the rules of the interweb to pull up 'told you so' threads from years ago, but I don't bring this up to have a go at Jeffers1984 or anyone else. I bring it up to emphasise the near-impossible job that recruiters have, when even with the benefit of 5+ years of hindsight there can be major differences of opinion as to whether a correct decision has been made. At the same time, the wheel can turn brutally fast and the game has no qualms about turning yesterday's rooster into today's feather duster.

We're only a few months from it being a whole freakin' decade since the 2002 draft, and no doubt some around Port would still argue that Steven Salopek can be a player who can be an integral part of a successful Pahhhhr team, and perhaps even take a leadership role in it. And maybe they're right.

DeadlyAkkuret
18th April 2012, 04:10 AM
I'm a fan, I wasn't always a fan and I don't know if I posted in this thread earlier but he's a classy ball user and even though he has his flaws I think he makes a very good co-captain. McVeigh generally starts games well and tapers off, but he sets us up and he's shown on a number of occasions that he can remain calm when the opposition are coming hard at us.

I'd back him to stand up when it matters most of the time and in a team that has some pretty poor kicks he's a gem. Let's see how he goes against the Kangaroos in the absence of Goodes, because I'm sure he'll deliver again.

aardvark
18th April 2012, 08:18 AM
Perhaps he has not yet fully recovered physcologically and is still afraid of the contest as a result???

Macca still avoids the contest but has played some seriously good footy during the last few years as well. Its hard to judge his worth as a captain but the players seem to respond well to him.

Big Al
18th April 2012, 08:41 AM
Macca still avoids the contest but has played some seriously good footy during the last few years as well. Its hard to judge his worth as a captain but the players seem to respond well to him.

Certainly not saying your wrong but I haven't noticed this. (with my eyesight that isn't a shock)

I'll have to watch Macca a bit more closely.

I had misgivings about him as a captain but the 2 captain model seems to work for him.

wolftone57
18th April 2012, 09:07 AM
Al I have noticed on certain occasions that he doesn't seem to like body on body or meeting oncoming traffic. But I believe this to be more a judgement thing and also to do with having a light frame. Some players are not meant to be Daniel Hannaberry, Luke Parker, Jude Bolton etc they just aren't built that way. Some players are the type that will go anywhere at the risk of their lives and other players aren't. I don't deny that I would love to see Macca make more of a contest on occasions when the body needs to be met but it isn't in his skill basket. Every time I have seen him go in for any of that type of contact he is awkward, in danger of extinction and gives away frees. He is an outside mid and he plays that game well. I love his delivery, skills and he always does something exceptional.

goswannie14
18th April 2012, 09:21 AM
Al I have noticed on certain occasions that he doesn't seem to like body on body or meeting oncoming traffic. But I believe this to be more a judgement thing and also to do with having a light frame. Some players are not meant to be Daniel Hannaberry, Luke Parker, Jude Bolton etc they just aren't built that way. Some players are the type that will go anywhere at the risk of their lives and other players aren't. I don't deny that I would love to see Macca make more of a contest on occasions when the body needs to be met but it isn't in his skill basket. Every time I have seen him go in for any of that type of contact he is awkward, in danger of extinction and gives away frees. He is an outside mid and he plays that game well. I love his delivery, skills and he always does something exceptional.
Very well summed up Wolfy.

Plugger46
18th April 2012, 11:32 AM
I'm a fan and have been for a long time now. I do think he could be better though. He's got all the attributes to be a star and I don't think you could put him in that category.

Melbourne_Blood
18th April 2012, 11:45 AM
Yeah I agree, after that stand out year in 2008 (I think ) where he was getting touches and kicking goals consistently I thought he had made the step up to elite. He seems to have dropped back down since then to just a good footballer, but not a game breaker. He hasn't dominated a game in a long time. I'd like to see him kick more goals. We know he's capable of it.

Ruck'n'Roll
18th April 2012, 11:52 AM
Geez, talk about some blasts from the past, NMWBloods, wow!
What's next a thread from Footyhead?
Actually when I opened this thread I failed to notice the date on the entries, I was just thinking "God, look at all this horrendous negativity. It's as bad as when I left RWO 5 years ago." Then I looked at the date and noticed it was 5 years ago. LOL

Dosser
18th April 2012, 11:54 AM
Actually when I opened this thread I failed to notice the date on the entries, I was just thinking "God, look at all this horrendous negativity. It's as bad as when I left RWO 5 years ago." Then I looked at the date and noticed it was 5 years ago. LOL

Yeah, that's obviously from when this site USED to be negative.

Ruck'n'Roll
18th April 2012, 12:04 PM
Different perspectives, different points of view. :smile:

Hartijon
18th April 2012, 12:10 PM

My thoughts exactly.We must be travelling well for this old chesnut to be revived.Mind you after 8 days on Paradise island (No I will not tell you where!) I am so mellow I am starting to think Everitt is a good player too.

ShockOfHair
18th April 2012, 12:22 PM
Roos said during the Freo game that McVeigh is the side's best decision-maker.

He does use the ball really well.

I don't get nervous with the ball in his hands as I do for AJ (the last couple of weeks), Reg (occasionally) and McGlynn (always).

RogueSwan
18th April 2012, 12:54 PM
I'm a fan and have been for a long time now. ....

Me too, I don't think I have changed my avatar comment for at least 5 years. Then again, one of the reasons I originally did it was to help offset all of the Macca haters, but I did believe he had the potential to be very good.

sharp9
18th April 2012, 02:03 PM
I think, by and large, that Macca is quality. His problem is that he doesn't get the ball enough. Often goes missing for half a game.

MadCanuck
18th April 2012, 02:20 PM
I don't it's McVeigh that's changed, it's the way the game is now being played. With all sides implementing the same pressure tactics and numbers around the stoppages, McVeigh just doesn't have the build or the opportunities to create the space he needs to be more effective.

The_Jam
18th April 2012, 02:52 PM
I know stats don't tell the whole story, but looking at this year's, he has 64 total possessions, 21 being contested, at just over 71% disposal efficiently. I think this supports the idea that he is playing aright, if not setting the world on fire. I think it also suggests that he is a bit more of an inside/outside player rather than being one or the other.

Some perspective: the outside player player Jetta has 44, 14 CP at 75%. And the inside superstar JPK has 90, 55 CP at 65%. Though, Jetta has 9 tackles and McVeigh only has 6. I don't think McVeigh would want to be out-tackled by a half-forward/flanker who weighs 30 grams.

Beerman
18th April 2012, 03:04 PM
Some perspective: the outside player player Jetta has 44, 14 CP at 75%. And the inside superstar JPK has 90, 55 CP at 65%. Though, Jetta has 9 tackles and McVeigh only has 6. I don't think McVeigh would want to be out-tackled by a half-forward/flanker who weighs 30 grams.

That's a bit harsh. Jetta's put on a lot of muscle over summer and must now weigh at least as much as a stick of butter (250g)!

jono2707
18th April 2012, 03:05 PM
McVeigh is playing a sort of quarterback role off the half backline in a similar way to Yarran, Deledio, and also what Jared Brennan is now doing for the Suns. It's not a bash and crash sort of role and none of those guys are overly physical, but they're all considered to be good players. I think he's playing a very effective role and in the whole his disposal and decision making has been pretty good so far...

Triple B
18th April 2012, 03:12 PM
McVeigh is playing a sort of quarterback role off the half backline in a similar way to Yarran, Deledio, and Jared Brennan .....

You can't mention quarterback without mentioning Bevo.

One of the all time funny threads when connolly christened him the champion little quarterback....lol

Dosser
18th April 2012, 03:32 PM
OK, my pet peeve - there are NO quarterbacks in AUSTRALIAN rules. The sooner those Americanised commentators dump the term, the sooner we can let our midfielders get the ball to the punters in the forward zone.

Cpt. Kirk
18th April 2012, 03:58 PM
we can let our midfielders get the ball to the punters in the forward zone.

oh lawd

The_Jam
18th April 2012, 04:01 PM
From memory, I believe McVeigh has played forward and a little in the middle as well. But if you want to compare him to a offensive HB setting up scoring movements (avoiding the QB title, even though I don't mind it) Mal has 65, 17 CP at 81% with 9 tackles, which again is not the whole story, but at least suggests he is playing that role better than McVeigh. The latter has a couple more goals, and a few more CP. As I said, from memory, he as played around the ground a bit, so I think we can add versatility to McVeigh's tool-box.

Big Al
18th April 2012, 04:08 PM
OK, my pet peeve - there are NO quarterbacks in AUSTRALIAN rules. The sooner those Americanised commentators dump the term, the sooner we can let our midfielders get the ball to the punters in the forward zone.

There was a US commentator a few years back that said the Patriots had to do something about the Packers Tight End. Would have that was an issue for the doctors but Grid ironing isn't my thing.

jono2707
18th April 2012, 06:19 PM

Was that an offensive or de-fensive line????

Dosser
18th April 2012, 06:20 PM
Was that an offensive or de-fensive line????

Aaaargh! My buttons!

ernie koala
18th April 2012, 07:50 PM
I must admit I was always scathing of him in those early days....slow and soft.
But like a sore back, I've kinda got used to him.
Hope he has a blinder on the weekend.

Swansinger
18th April 2012, 09:35 PM

Spot on !
The best word would be "playmaker".
And while we're at it , let"s ditch DEE-fence and O-FFENSE.
It's "di (short "i") fence" and ATTACK.

Bloody Hell
20th April 2012, 02:44 AM
Best small forward in the team. Shame he doesn't play up front....

Swansinger
20th April 2012, 09:58 AM
:smile:
Spot on !
The best word would be "playmaker".
And while we're at it , let"s ditch DEE-fence and O-FFENSE.
It's "di (short "i") fence" and ATTACK.

Oh , hang on - you said "punters".Very witty , sorry I missed it !:clap::smile:

Doctor
20th April 2012, 10:01 AM
There was a US commentator a few years back that said the Patriots had to do something about the Packers Tight End. Would have that was an issue for the doctors but Grid ironing isn't my thing.

heh heh. On a related matter, Dwayne Russell said that Craig Bird "squeezed one out" at one stage during the Port game. Made my eyes water.

Ruck'n'Roll
20th April 2012, 10:05 AM
heh heh. On a related matter, Dwayne Russell said that Craig Bird "squeezed one out" at one stage during the Port game. Made my eyes water. Insuffient roughage in his diet?

ScottH
20th April 2012, 10:14 AM
Insuffient roughage in his diet?

He eats like a sparrow.

Ruck'n'Roll
20th April 2012, 11:03 AM
Nonetheless, if he did squeeze one out onfield, could he penalised for fowl play?

Dosser
20th April 2012, 11:05 AM
In that case it's no wonder Goodes slid in on his knees and not head first. Can we claim that as some sort of defence?

Ruck'n'Roll
20th April 2012, 11:12 AM
Let's have this thread go off on a tangent, I love it wren that happens

Triple B
20th April 2012, 11:13 AM
In that case it's no wonder Goodes slid in on his knees and not head first. Can we claim that as some sort of defence?

Lol...nice one.

May also explain Port's worry about the grass burn suffered by Surjan with risk of infection etc..

Triple B
20th April 2012, 11:14 AM
Let's havethis thread descend into a pun war, I love it wren that happens

Not sure if the puns thus far are anything worth crowing about tho...

Ruck'n'Roll
20th April 2012, 11:16 AM
Ok how about . . .

Surjans, like most doctors, are often worried about infections

Auntie.Gerald
11th June 2012, 08:53 AM
im still worried about Macca being over taken by some our players emerging in the midfield

In the Bombers game Stanton was going straight passed him on the wknd and Stanton is by no means one of the quickest midfielders............other contested situations Macca was simply out paced to the ball.

Bird actually looks faster then Macca, Bird also goes in harder for the contested possession and Bird handballs as classy as anyone out there..........and the poor guy usually has to tag

Arguably the best midfielders (in order) at the club are:

Goodes
Bolton
Jack
Kennedy
Hannes
Jetts
Parker
Bird

Macca?

Xie Shan
11th June 2012, 07:41 PM
When is Clementine's baby due? I remember hearing early July... it must be weighing on his mind for obvious reasons. I really like Macca, and I know he is a highly respected player and leader within the football club, but he's never been the kind of player that's been able to have a huge influence on a game on his own. I wonder if giving up the captaincy might free him up a bit to focus on his football. With Goodes coming back, Jude as one of the spiritual leaders of the team could quite easily step up and would be more than qualified as a co-captain. I recall this was one of the factors in Maxfield's decision to step down in 2005 (although under very different circumstances) so he could spend more time with his kids. A player's duty should be to his family first, football club second.

Nico
11th June 2012, 08:19 PM
Can anyone remind me who he was assigned to on Saturday? Did that player have a big influence on the game?

I reckon he is travelling pretty well this season. He is doing a job every week and doing it well. His game possessions says he gets the footy a fair bit.

Perhaps he should go back to the 2's and find some form like some suggested our most versatile player, ROK, should have done a few weeks back.

He hasn't genuinely played in the midfield most of this year.

Melbourne_Blood
11th June 2012, 08:34 PM
The Macca of 2008 or 2009 could influence a game off his own boot. Classy goal kicking outside mid. He hasn't been bad this year, I just always lament that after that outstanding season he has seemed to have gone backwards, when i thought after tha ear be would become elite. Still a good player for us, but will never drag us over the line in a game like Watson very nearly did for Essendon.

Auntie.Gerald
11th June 2012, 11:57 PM
Can anyone remind me who he was assigned to on Saturday? Did that player have a big influence on the game?

Essendon Football Club - Team?Senior Players (http://www.essendonfc.com.au/team/list.asp)

primarily Stanton and it was Bretts second lowest disposals this season to be fair to Macca..........Maybe my concerns are unjust when we consider how slow that Kirky was and Kirk was one of the best in and under taggers........But I dont see those qualities with Macca especially if that will be his role going forward more and more !

GongSwan
12th June 2012, 12:01 AM

Faster than a speeding.............. Mitchell? Hayes? Watson? i dunno

Probably faster than kirk tho

swanspant12
12th June 2012, 12:03 AM
When is Clementine's baby due? I remember hearing early July... it must be weighing on his mind for obvious reasons. I really like Macca, and I know he is a highly respected player and leader within the football club, but he's never been the kind of player that's been able to have a huge influence on a game on his own. I wonder if giving up the captaincy might free him up a bit to focus on his football. With Goodes coming back, Jude as one of the spiritual leaders of the team could quite easily step up and would be more than qualified as a co-captain. I recall this was one of the factors in Maxfield's decision to step down in 2005 (although under very different circumstances) so he could spend more time with his kids. A player's duty should be to his family first, football club second.

x1000. Footballers are normal people with normal emotions. Macca is a brilliant leader, and he might not be our best player but he is a leader and you need them on the field.

Bleed Red Blood
12th June 2012, 02:21 AM
speaking of slow - hannerbery being beaten to the ball as it bounced toward our goal by carlisle was disappointing

4 the Bloods
12th June 2012, 09:06 AM
im still worried about Macca being over taken by some our players emerging in the midfield

In the Bombers game Stanton was going straight passed him on the wknd and Stanton is by no means one of the quickest midfielders............other contested situations Macca was simply out paced to the ball.

Criticising McVeigh for this week's performance is crazy. The ABC commentators had him just behind Jetta for BOG. People who don't watch a lot of footy outside the Swans may not realise the sort of form Stanton has been in this year. McVeigh played most of the game on Stanton who has averaged 28 touches a game and kept him to 19 while racking up 25 himself.

Just to put it into context some highlights for Stanton this year (yes I know stats don't tell the whole story, particularly dreamteam/supercoach points, but this is an impressive set of numbers in anyone's language):

Ranked 7th in Total Inside 50s;
Ranked 1st in Total Kicks;
Ranked 6th in Total Disposals;
Ranked 1st in Total Marks;
Ranked 2nd in Total Supercoach Score;
Ranked 1st in Total Dreamteam Score;
Ranked 15th in Inside 50s Per Game;
Ranked 2nd in Kicks Per Game;
Ranked 9th in Disposals Per Game;
Ranked 4th in Marks Per Game
Ranked 6th in Supercoach Score Per Game;
Ranked 3rd in Dreamteam Score Per Game

Jewels
12th June 2012, 11:07 AM
I am anything but a McVeigh fan and certainly don't think he is a particularly good on field leader, but he played a wonderful game on Saturday night, completely nullifying Stanton whilst impacting the game himself. Can't ask much more of a footballer then that!

Captain
12th June 2012, 11:39 AM
I think he has been playing reasonably well.

If pace is a concern, maybe some of you should turn your attention to Hanners....

aardvark
12th June 2012, 11:43 AM
I am anything but a McVeigh fan and certainly don't think he is a particularly good on field leader, but he played a wonderful game on Saturday night, completely nullifying Stanton whilst impacting the game himself. Can't ask much more of a footballer then that!

Agree. He was excellent.

jono2707
12th June 2012, 11:49 AM
How about changing the title of this thread to 'How effective is McVeigh?'. It's been an interesting discussion - I'll have to watch the game again, well at least 3 quarters, and focus on what he did to stop Stanton. Often players performing stopping roles (variously McVeigh, Smith, Jack, Rhyce etc) can be overlooked until you have a close look at the impact they had on the outcome of the game - stats don't always paint the whole picture. Whilst McVeigh is not a tough in-and-under type, I think he is showing additional maturity as a player this year and he often pops up in the right place at the right time.....

ernie koala
12th June 2012, 12:07 PM

I agree, he played an excellent game.
Tagging seems the best option for McVeigh, he does it well.

aardvark
12th June 2012, 12:24 PM
The good thing about him tagging is that he can't go missing without it being very obvious.

gumby_bolts
12th June 2012, 12:30 PM
Like Jewels I'm not much of a fan but he was so effective on Saturday. It also looks like to me that he did that shut-down role while by playing with an injury. Didn't he go down to the rooms in the third quarter? And if you watch the replay, when all the boys are coming off at the end and walking to the rooms it looks like he might have a injured/sore groin. Explains some of his field kicking this season.

Doctor
12th June 2012, 12:36 PM
I agree with recent posts, he was very good on Saturday night. Stanton was largely neutralised and Macca still got plenty of the footy himself. It's important to have a look at where he is playing and what his role is on any given week before judging how he's going.

Mountain Man
12th June 2012, 02:34 PM
and surely his role needed to change with Parker and McGlynn out - did the team thing well, it seemed to me

Nico
12th June 2012, 06:09 PM
He got in the coaches votes this week.

Matt79
12th June 2012, 07:09 PM
Someone may have wrote about this earlier in this thread but I am not shifting bck to see :)

Did anyone notice Macca head off to the rooms in the last quarter on Saturday night? He was also seen holding his groin. I wonder if he has had a groin issue or whether he picked something up on Saturday night? The bye may have come at the perfect time.

Could explain why he may seemed slightly off the pace too?

Nico
12th June 2012, 08:09 PM
Someone may have wrote about this earlier in this thread but I am not shifting bck to see :)

Did anyone notice Macca head off to the rooms in the last quarter on Saturday night? He was also seen holding his groin. I wonder if he has had a groin issue or whether he picked something up on Saturday night? The bye may have come at the perfect time.

Could explain why he may seemed slightly off the pace too?

Probably went for a pee.

ShockOfHair
12th June 2012, 08:37 PM
Bring back Bevan. We've run out of whipping boys.

Untamed Snark
12th June 2012, 09:57 PM

Jesse White

Go Swannies
13th June 2012, 02:17 PM

Well Mal has been up there the past few weeks. And bizarrely LRT. And Shaw's kicking a few weeks ago. Wait for Armstrong to drop from his stellar game last weekend.

Jewels
13th June 2012, 04:40 PM
Well Mal has been up there the past few weeks. And bizarrely LRT. And Shaw's kicking a few weeks ago. Wait for Armstrong to drop from his stellar game last weekend.

No not Tony, never!!!!!!
With that beautiful warm smile and his obvious delight to be playing for this club I hope he never copes it!

I'll leave that for when White returns to seniors...........