PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Round

shane
3rd July 2007, 12:07 PM
Just to keep you lot up to speed. Freo will be wearing the 1979 East Fremantle Premiership jumper this weekend to celebrate the Derby Grand Final which took place that year and saw the biggest crowd, before or since, fill Subiaco Oval to watch the two great Fremantle sides beat each other senseless.

Unfortunately for your mob, you'll be playing the role of South Fremantle in out little re-enactment. They were right in the match until the last quarter at which point they were rolled by the blue and whites. 21.19.145 to 16.16.112. The plus for you is that Paul Roos will get to play Mal Brown who wore a snazzy red blazer on the day.

Thanks for participating.

Here's a little bit of the action to get you in the mood.

http://www.dockerland.com/video/1979.html

Mr_Juicy
3rd July 2007, 12:17 PM
Just to keep you lot up to speed. Freo will be wearing the 1979 East Fremantle Premiership jumper this weekend to celebrate the Derby Grand Final which took place that year and saw the biggest crowd, before or since, fill Subiaco Oval to watch the two great Fremantle sides beat each other senseless.

Unfortunately for your mob, you'll be playing the role of South Fremantle in out little re-enactment. They were right in the match until the last quarter at which point they were rolled by the blue and whites. 21.19.145 to 16.16.112. The plus for you is that Paul Roos will get to play Mal Brown who wore a snazzy red blazer on the day.

Thanks for participating.

Here's a little bit of the action to get you in the mood.

http://www.dockerland.com/video/1979.html

Yes but the red and whites won the fights :)

Mr_Juicy
3rd July 2007, 12:23 PM
well..... not we didn't :frown

shane
3rd July 2007, 12:38 PM
I reckon by the end of the day, fighting was the winner.

Mr_Juicy
3rd July 2007, 01:56 PM
I reckon by the end of the day, fighting was the winner.
hooray!! :)

reigning premier
3rd July 2007, 01:59 PM
Bah....

Heritage round.... Rivalry round.... Women's round....

What's next???? Boards shorts round????

Triple B
3rd July 2007, 02:00 PM
I wonder who #25 and #49 were for South? They looked good.

shane
3rd July 2007, 02:50 PM
25 was Stephen Michael (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Michael) and 49 was Maurice Rioli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Rioli)

goswannie14
3rd July 2007, 02:55 PM
Mean while...In Sydney, the question was asked "What will we do for heritage round?" the answer, "Just get the old South Melbourne jumper out again.":rolleyes:

I love the old South Melbourne Jumper, but there are some others that the club has worn, come on guys, in the future get a bit more creative, you never know, they might actually sell really well and raise more money for the club.

Triple B
3rd July 2007, 03:03 PM
25 was Stephen Michael (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Michael) and 49 was Maurice Rioli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Rioli)

Thx Shane. :)

That explains why in 2 minutes of footage they looked super classy and stood out like beacons.

hammo
3rd July 2007, 04:00 PM
I didn't even realise it was heritage round. Where's the promotion by the AFL / Swans??

floppinab
3rd July 2007, 04:43 PM

Any others that non-Wa..ians might recognise in that game?? Paticularly those that might've made State Teams of the era??

shane
3rd July 2007, 07:13 PM
Off the top of my head for East Fremantle -
Brian Peake is number 7 with the beard.
Ken Judge is in there with the long sleeves at full forward.
Tony Buhagiar is the little bloke jumping up and down at the start.
Doug Green played for South Melbourne I think. He was 19.
Kevin Taylor kicked 7 goals (or there abouts) in number 5 and won the Simpson medal.

573v30
3rd July 2007, 10:13 PM
So I guess our orange jumper is out of the question then. :D

ScottH
4th July 2007, 07:19 AM
I didn't even realise it was heritage round. Where's the promotion by the AFL / Swans??Don't worry, I haven't seen any advertising in Melb about it either.

Chookbilly
4th July 2007, 02:36 PM
I want to get one of the heritage guernseys.
I love the red v. When do they go on sale? there's nothing about them on the Swans merch website.

stellation
4th July 2007, 02:49 PM
It's the heritage round? Freo are seriously going to be allowed to wear red and white?

ugg
4th July 2007, 03:07 PM
It's the heritage round? Freo are seriously going to be allowed to wear red and white?

As Shane posted in the original post, Freo will be wearing the 1979 East Fremantle Premiership jumper which is blue and white.

lovetheswannies
4th July 2007, 06:56 PM
I want to get one of the heritage guernseys.
I love the red v. When do they go on sale? there's nothing about them on the Swans merch website.

i'm not sure where abouts you are, but i've seen them at in sydney on george street a few times.

Chookbilly
4th July 2007, 08:04 PM
i'm not sure where abouts you are, but i've seen them at in sydney on george street a few times.

Sorry, I'm in Melbourne

goswannie14
4th July 2007, 08:18 PM
Try Ebay or the Melbourne office.:)

stellation
4th July 2007, 10:40 PM
As Shane posted in the original post, Freo will be wearing the 1979 East Fremantle Premiership jumper which is blue and white.
Okay, I just read it again. I maintain I wasn't completely obvious for a simple minded ninny to twig.

Nolie
6th July 2007, 11:57 PM
Any others that non-Wa..ians might recognise in that game?? Paticularly those that might've made State Teams of the era??

#19 for South Fremantle with the beard was a good CHF Joe Mckay played for the State. Pretty sure #8 for EF was Ken Judge. Thought I saw Brad Hardie briefly for Souths. Ray Bauskis the blonde #18 for Souths was a not bad fullforward. (The Sydney Swans could well do with a combination of Ray Bauskis/Joe Mckay as FF/CHf)
Others I recognised but the Eastern Staters wouldn't know was for East Frem: Mario Turco #1, Mick Jez #23, Jim Sewell (think he might have played for Brisbane Bears at one time)

For South Fremantle: Rod (I think it was Rod - or am I getting mixed up with the Sydney Swan) Carter #1 (it was something Carter (Noel)- I think he originally came from Melbourne), Paul Mountain #35, Benny Vigona #49

Nolie
7th July 2007, 12:02 AM
I'm glad Freo are wearing the East Fremantle Blue & White - it was quite a striking jumper (not that I was a fan - far from it - Car'n the Cardies!). For some reason the Dockers have been hijacked always into the red and white of South Fremantle for the previous heritage rounds. Maybe because their home ground is South Fremantles?
Its time to even things up a bit.

shane
7th July 2007, 03:35 PM
The red and white jumper is actually the old Fremantle jumper. There were a couple of Fremantle teams during the late 1800's. When the second one folded, South Fremantle basically scored their old jumpers and most of their players at whatever the 19th century equivalent of a garage sale was.

ugg
7th July 2007, 04:06 PM
What happened to the heritage jumpers in the Collingwood-St Kilda game. It looks like what they would usually wear.

goswannie14
7th July 2007, 04:11 PM
What happened to the heritage jumpers in the Collingwood-St Kilda game. It looks like what they would usually wear.
That's the stupidity of a "70's" heritage round,they did wear almost the same jumpers as then. Same with the Essendon/Geelong game.

EDIT: Just flicked over, they aren't even wearing what they wore in the 70's. :rolleyes:

573v30
7th July 2007, 04:44 PM
Heritage Round can be a joke at times...

ugg
7th July 2007, 05:06 PM
That's the stupidity of a "70's" heritage round,they did wear almost the same jumpers as then. Same with the Essendon/Geelong game.

EDIT: Just flicked over, they aren't even wearing what they wore in the 70's. :rolleyes:
That was what I meant, they're wearing their usual jumpers of 2007.

hammo
7th July 2007, 05:14 PM
That was what I meant, they're wearing their usual jumpers of 2007.
Quite a pathetic effort really.

573v30
7th July 2007, 06:37 PM
Quite a pathetic effort really. Great game though. If Thomas wasn't out of bounds, that could've been goal of the year.

Triple B
7th July 2007, 07:23 PM
Great game though. If Thomas wasn't out of bounds, that could've been goal of the year.

Super effort for sure. Can't stand the cocky little bastard, but I reckon he was robbed, I don't reckon the whole ball was out.

Did you take note of the umpiring? Absolutely disgraceful !!! And who were they? Yes, the same 3 filthy grubs we had against Essendon.

McLaren is a certified corrupt bludger, proven when he turned 180% pro Essendon since Hird unloaded on him in the media.

Ray 'small man syndrome' Chamberlain. Somebody has to pull this glorified jockey into line. He is getting his tyres pumped up by the imbeciles who pass themselves off as commentators on Ch10 "Oh Ray this, Ray that' and is beginning to think he is there as part of the entertainment.

Donlan, well he got turfed after the Essendon game, God knows how he got back in.

Collingwood were absolutely crucified in the 3rd quarter. The free against Goldsack?? and subsequent 50 against Didak was truly criminal.

Then blow me down, after a stare and a bit of intimidation from Malthouse at 3/4 time, they completely went the other way and stitched StKilda up in the last quarter.

shane
8th July 2007, 10:56 PM
weren't you lot paying attention? The blue and white team was supposed to win.

Bloody amateurs.

goswannie14
9th July 2007, 05:34 AM
Super effort for sure. Can't stand the cocky little bastard, but I reckon he was robbed, I don't reckon the whole ball was out.

Did you take note of the umpiring? Absolutely disgraceful !!! And who were they? Yes, the same 3 filthy grubs we had against Essendon.

McLaren is a certified corrupt bludger, proven when he turned 180% pro Essendon since Hird unloaded on him in the media.

Ray 'small man syndrome' Chamberlain. Somebody has to pull this glorified jockey into line. He is getting his tyres pumped up by the imbeciles who pass themselves off as commentators on Ch10 "Oh Ray this, Ray that' and is beginning to think he is there as part of the entertainment.

Donlan, well he got turfed after the Essendon game, God knows how he got back in.

Collingwood were absolutely crucified in the 3rd quarter. The free against Goldsack?? and subsequent 50 against Didak was truly criminal.

Then blow me down, after a stare and a bit of intimidation from Malthouse at 3/4 time, they completely went the other way and stitched StKilda up in the last quarter.
You should read Rohan Connolly's piece in The Sunday Age. Unfortunately it's not on-line, but he really gives those three umpires a serve.

ScottH
9th July 2007, 07:28 AM
weren't you lot paying attention? The blue and white team was supposed to win.

Bloody amateurs.:rolleyes:

They did. Petrie was on fire again.