PDA

View Full Version : Stadium matches

timr
14th July 2007, 11:45 PM
There was a claim in years gone by that if the Swans averaged more than 50k per game at the Stadium over the three games then they were contractually bound to play 4 games there the following year. Does anyone know if this is true or not? With 127k to the 2 games so far there will have to be a disaster in the next one to not average > 50k this year.

Matt79
15th July 2007, 11:28 AM
Yep that is true. If we average 55,000+ for the 3 games at Telstra this year, we wll have a 4th game there in 08.

moa999
18th July 2007, 12:02 AM
please noone show up... scg so much better, particularly with the new stand next yr

Jewels
18th July 2007, 12:17 AM
please noone show up... scg so much better, particularly with the new stand next yr

No, wrong, EVERYONE GO!!!!!!!!!
So much closer to home and easier for me and mine. Swannies don't seem to be able to win a game there lately, but that's beside the point.

ScottH
18th July 2007, 07:16 AM
Noone goes to most games, so I can't see that happening.

j s
18th July 2007, 08:31 AM
Don't hold your breath! It will be mid-season at the earliest before the new stand is ready.

j s
18th July 2007, 08:34 AM
Noone goes to most games, so I can't see that happening.
Who the hell is Noone? And why does it matter what s/he does (or does not) do?

hammo
18th July 2007, 09:09 AM
The stand isn't due for completion until the 08/09 cricket season, so I doubt Swans fans will get much use out of it next year (especially as it seems progress has slowed to a crawl).

reigning premier
18th July 2007, 10:24 AM
As long as they realise the folly of their way and return the games to the SCG when attendance drops below 55k which it will. At the mometn, it's a bit of a novelty to go to Telstra stadium for the games, that will sson wear off...

Though I'm happy for Melbourne, Bulldogs, Kangaroos and anyone else who wants to play their "home" games there!

hammo
18th July 2007, 11:00 AM
As long as they realise the folly of their way and return the games to the SCG when attendance drops below 55k which it will. At the mometn, it's a bit of a novelty to go to Telstra stadium for the games, that will sson wear off...

Sheer numbers would suggest Telstra is the prefered venue for Sydney AFL fans, whatever the eastern suburbs chardonnay set may think :rolleyes:

reigning premier
18th July 2007, 11:09 AM
Sheer numbers would suggest Telstra is the prefered venue for Sydney AFL fans, whatever the eastern suburbs chardonnay set may think :rolleyes:

Not in the long term it won't be. It does draw a few big crowds now but only because they are so infrequent. Start playing more and more games out there and watch the numbers dwindle. Whereas the SCG continuously gets 30k plus. Week in, week out.

hammo
18th July 2007, 12:00 PM
Not in the long term it won't be. It does draw a few big crowds now but only because they are so infrequent. Start playing more and more games out there and watch the numbers dwindle. Whereas the SCG continuously gets 30k plus. Week in, week out.
Six or so years of 3 games a year plus a final hardly constitutes a 'novelty' as your earlier post suggested.

The Swans will play where most people can watch them. If the 'long term' strategy is to increase members and supporters, then expect more games at Telstra.

reigning premier
18th July 2007, 12:10 PM
Six or so years of 3 games a year plus a final hardly constitutes a 'novelty' as your earlier post suggested.

The Swans will play where most people can watch them. If the 'long term' strategy is to increase members and supporters, then expect more games at Telstra.

Out of 140 plus games played in that six years, I reckon 20 is still a novelty yes.....

Yes it has a bigger capacity, but it has no soul and when the numbers so dwindling below 50k, no atmosphere. 30k at the SCG has the place heaving....

Layby
18th July 2007, 04:11 PM
Plus they always put the big draw clubs and finals out there.

Three games is more than enough, any more would be a shambles

Lucky Knickers
18th July 2007, 04:20 PM
I've been going to the SCG since before Capper wore tight pants and I love it; the atmosphere, my seats, my near neighbours.
There's not much I like about Telstra other than it's close to home and I can walk to the free bus, however, I would be happy to see more games played at Telstra to enable our membership numbers to climb into the 50k zone and see this team and the code cement itself in Sydney and NSW.

reigning premier
18th July 2007, 04:23 PM
There's not much I like about Telstra.......

however, I would be happy to see more games played at Telstra to enable our membership numbers to climb into the 50k zone and see this team and the code cement itself in Sydney and NSW.

Two very different and conflicting statements, but two very true ones as well!

Lucky Knickers
18th July 2007, 04:42 PM
I do like the "facilities" at Telstra....the ladies loo situation is DESPERATE at the SCG!

JF_Bay22_SCG
19th July 2007, 12:41 AM
Who the hell is Noone? And why does it matter what s/he does (or does not) do?

More to the point, how are his checkside kicks from the pocket? :D

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
19th July 2007, 12:42 AM
Plus they always put the big draw clubs and finals out there.

Three games is more than enough, any more would be a shambles

One more trip across Anzac Parade for you old Sonny Jim. Do you think you will cope? :eek:

JF

Hazcam
19th July 2007, 01:54 AM
The stand isn't due for completion until the 08/09 cricket season, so I doubt Swans fans will get much use out of it next year (especially as it seems progress has slowed to a crawl).

R U SERIOUS?

so whats going to happen for the 4 one dayers this year?
vs NZ, INDIA, S.Lanka + 2nd final

not to mention the new years test vs India

They cant possibly play with a capacity of 27,000.
I reckon they should shift the final round match vs hawthorn to TS because if both teams are vying for a top 4 spot in that game then it'll attract 50,000.

general mac
19th July 2007, 05:48 AM
Screw the SCG, it restricts the Bloods from maximizing their potential.

It's either move more games west or except that a western Sydney team have to come into the competition to service that area.

Layby
19th July 2007, 03:38 PM
It's either move more games west or except that a western Sydney team have to come into the competition to service that area.

What a great idea, they can have the stadium, with much pleasure.

Except what though ?

Layby
19th July 2007, 03:40 PM
One more trip across Anzac Parade for you old Sonny Jim. Do you think you will cope? :eek:

JF

Your just jealous i can fit through the turnstiles at the scg and dont need the wheelchair entry to get my perky little bum through !

AnnieH
19th July 2007, 05:06 PM
a "western sydney" team should be way out west - a lot further "west" than homebush bay, e.g. campbelltown or penrith.
homebush bay is actually in the "inner west".
but then, for those who live in the east, anywhere west of broadway is the "western suburbs".

there's only one team in sydney anyway.

as far as i know, the swans have a very long-term contract with the scg trust. they are pretty much stuck at the scg. ts will only be used for the "blockbuster" games, i.e. a game where they know more than 40k people will turn up, e.g. vs colliwobbles.

Jewels
19th July 2007, 05:19 PM
a "western sydney" team should be way out west - a lot further "west" than homebush bay, e.g. campbelltown or penrith.
but then, for those who live in the east, anywhere west of broadway is the "western suburbs".

there's only one team in sydney anyway.

Spot on Annie.

reigning premier
19th July 2007, 05:24 PM

There's FURTHER Western Sydney past Homebush??? Are you sure about that??

AnnieH
19th July 2007, 05:37 PM
There's FURTHER Western Sydney past Homebush??? Are you sure about that??

yeah ... i visited it - once.

robbieando
19th July 2007, 06:51 PM
The Swans are Contracted to Play only 7 games at the SCG and 3 at Telstra Stadium. That means we are contracted to play 10 of our 11 home games at a set Stadium. The 11th home game (which must be played in Sydney of course) could be played anywhere the Swans wanted (be it the the SCG, which is where we play it now, Telstra Stadium or even North Sydney Oval).

This is to leave room for the Swans to mainly play a 4th game at Telstra Stadium if they so wish, but in general allow flexability in fixturing home games. At the moment the Swans don't wish to play a 4th game at Telstra Stadium because of the costs involved in playing games at there and therefore the SCG gets an 8th game. But there is nothing stopping the Swans asking the AFL to play that 11th home game at Telstra Stadium instead of the SCG after the crowds they have got this season.

You would still think however that they won't because the big crowds we got this year aren't always a sure thing and the Swans won't bank on that just in case we have a down year next year and Telstra Stadium crowds dip compared to this years.

Layby
19th July 2007, 06:59 PM

I love the western suburbs.

They serve a valuable service keeping undesireable people away from the more desireable educated folk.

If they had their own footy team 'The Macdonald's bogans' they may never need to come anywhere near the eastern suburbs.

I am all for it.

TheMase
19th July 2007, 07:22 PM
Yep that is true. If we average 55,000+ for the 3 games at Telstra this year, we wll have a 4th game there in 08.

That would mean we only require 38,000 to show up to the next game. If that is the case then you can almost guarantee 4 games next year.

Q...
19th July 2007, 07:30 PM

I used to live in Kingsford and I much prefer Sauvignon Blanc. ;)

timthefish
19th July 2007, 07:31 PM
That would mean we only require 38,000 to show up to the next game. If that is the case then you can almost guarantee 4 games next year.

i think we'd want to see a good deal more than that for the swans to push for it.

Q...
19th July 2007, 07:32 PM

They serve a valuable service keeping undesireable people away from the more desireable educated folk.

If they had their own footy team 'The Macdonald's bogans' they may never need to come anywhere near the eastern suburbs.

I am all for it.
That was much nastier than hammo's divisive comment!

You should either be impressed or ashamed of yourself!

Jewels
19th July 2007, 07:35 PM

I am all for it.

Excuse me!!!! Some of us actually do live out west you know....... And may I say, my little corner of the world (north west) is absolutly bewdiful.

And we only wear our best uggies and flano shirts to church on Sunday! :cool:

swantastic
19th July 2007, 07:36 PM
Your just jealous i can fit through the turnstiles at the scg and dont need the wheelchair entry to get my perky little bum through !Thats not very noice Layby.

swantastic
19th July 2007, 07:39 PM
Excuse me!!!! Some of us actually do live out west you know....... And may I say, my little corner of the world (north west) is absolutly bewdiful.

And we only wear our best uggies and flano shirts to church on Sunday! :cool:Why is that all western suburbs of capital cities are dodgy?Now we know why wet toast illigirls are dodgy.

Layby
19th July 2007, 07:51 PM

And we only wear our best uggies and flano shirts to church on Sunday! :cool:

I said it was great !

It works for everyone.

barry
20th July 2007, 01:28 PM
If in 2007 we average of 50,000, we get 4 games out there in 2008.

However, from 2009 onwards, we have to average 55,000 per game to keep/get 4 games out there.

Why did it go up ?

timthefish
20th July 2007, 01:57 PM
If in 2007 we average of 50,000, we get 4 games out there in 2008.

However, from 2009 onwards, we have to average 55,000 per game to keep/get 4 games out there.

Why did it go up ?

i suppose the theory is that three games will only have a certain amount of advertising and "come-back" value while four should be part of a bigger campaign designed to encourage regular "westie" attendance. as such the measure of "success" is higher.

personally, i think they should set out a plan that allows for four games out there in a lean year when the crowds dip below 20,000 on occasion (preferably not ones that are scheduled out there). it's got to happen soon, we can't stay "up" forever.

hammo
20th July 2007, 09:51 PM

Where is the AFL stadium in those suburbs?

BeeEmmAre
21st July 2007, 10:02 AM
Where is the AFL stadium in those suburbs?

Bensons Lane ;) :cool:

Hazcam
21st July 2007, 02:16 PM

I am all for it.

thats a pretty ****** up thing to say. so you reckon that those in the west are bogans and uneducated? in the school i went to down past liverpool we had 30 people who scored over 99.00 UAI in the class of '99. 1 bloke came 1st in the state in economics and is an oxford phd student. we have a few actuaries, bankers and recently qualified lawyers and doctors all from that same year I graduated.

it's funny because working in the cbd as a financial analyst alongside these eastern subs colleagues i've noticed they've got no street smarts at all. they're folks paid 20k a year to send them to gay private schools in the north shore and also paid full fee for their uni. it's like their personalities are limited.

im glad i came from the west because I look at the way my fiance's eastern subs based extended family raise their kids and I think to myself how badly their going cope in the real world.

just keep in mind what's outside of the 10km radius that is the eastern subs and northern beaches. there are heaps of loyal swans fans from the west.

case in point: sydney v collingwood round 21 2003. the crowd was 72,393 and in the swans members reserved area of TS it was 60
% full. that's about 2500 seats.

if i ever did strike a big remuneration in finance i'd still think twice about living in the eastern subs. if i did I sure as hell wouldn't waste my $$ sending them to a private school, selective schools like sydney boys/girls, james ruse, fort st etc produce heaps of potential scholars VS a private school.

anyway the person who made this comment im replying to obviously has no sense of the world around them.

Layby
21st July 2007, 03:26 PM
thats a pretty ****** up thing to say. so you reckon that those in the west are bogans and uneducated? in the school i went to down past liverpool we had 30 people who scored over 99.00 UAI in the class of '99. 1 bloke came 1st in the state in economics and is an oxford phd student. we have a few actuaries, bankers and recently qualified lawyers and doctors all from that same year I graduated.

it's funny because working in the cbd as a financial analyst alongside these eastern subs colleagues i've noticed they've got no street smarts at all. they're folks paid 20k a year to send them to gay private schools in the north shore and also paid full fee for their uni. it's like their personalities are limited.

im glad i came from the west because I look at the way my fiance's eastern subs based extended family raise their kids and I think to myself how badly their going cope in the real world.

just keep in mind what's outside of the 10km radius that is the eastern subs and northern beaches. there are heaps of loyal swans fans from the west.

case in point: sydney v collingwood round 21 2003. the crowd was 72,393 and in the swans members reserved area of TS it was 60
% full. that's about 2500 seats.

if i ever did strike a big remuneration in finance i'd still think twice about living in the eastern subs. if i did I sure as hell wouldn't waste my $$ sending them to a private school, selective schools like sydney boys/girls, james ruse, fort st etc produce heaps of potential scholars VS a private school.

anyway the person who made this comment im replying to obviously has no sense of the world around them.

Would you ghost write my autobiography ?

Hazcam
21st July 2007, 03:37 PM
Would you ghost write my autobiography ?

LOL what do you mean?
I got a yellow card by the administrator for that
Now I know how Lucan Neill feels like!

Layby
21st July 2007, 03:44 PM
LOL what do you mean?
I got a yellow card by the administrator for that
Now I know how Lucan Neill feels like!

Just that you seem to know so much about me !

Hazcam
21st July 2007, 03:52 PM
Just that you seem to know so much about me !

No I just think with comments like what you wrote it seems to me that you've had millions of brain cells belted out of you possibly from rugby the private schools play.

But it does re-affirm my statement that many eastern subs folk lack street smarts required to succeed in the corporate world.

Let me have a wild guess, are you also an advocate of "white Australia". I wouldn't be surprised.

Layby
21st July 2007, 04:16 PM
No I just think with comments like what you wrote it seems to me that you've had millions of brain cells belted out of you possibly from rugby the private schools play.

But it does re-affirm my statement that many eastern subs folk lack street smarts required to succeed in the corporate world.

Let me have a wild guess, are you also an advocate of "white Australia". I wouldn't be surprised.

Wow, are you a clairvoyant ?

Triple B
21st July 2007, 06:04 PM
bigghaz, for someone who obviously rates himself as 'street wise', you sure don't recognise a pisstake when you see one.

Hazcam
21st July 2007, 08:41 PM
bigghaz, for someone who obviously rates himself as 'street wise', you sure don't recognise a pisstake when you see one.

Good call but it's all black and white. I didn't see that when I was reading it...

Anyway I just saw footage of that chubby cheerleader bloke from Westcoast. "do you want fries with that?" haha. It was alleged majic said that to him in the qualifying final.

I'm nervous about this one tonight though