PDA

View Full Version : Malceski chance for All Australian ?

gloveski
15th July 2007, 03:28 PM
FIrst half has been outstanding one of the best kicks in the business for me KIrk and Malceski have been our best 2 all year

melbloods78
15th July 2007, 05:20 PM
not this year, 2007 form usually means you end up in the side in 2009

liz
15th July 2007, 06:25 PM
HBF is one of the flashiest positions on the ground, meaning that pretty much every team reckons they have two lock-ins for the two HBF positions I daresay that if Kennelly hadn't been injured for so much of the year, we'd probably be the same. (His early season form was possibly marginally better even than Malceski's.)

That said, he should at least have his name tossed around at the selection table. The likes of Gilbee and Shaw, even McLeod, have been sensational at times but have had a number of pretty quiet games too. With the 'Eski, even his poorer games have been more because his perfect disposal dropped a notch or two. Even then he was getting plenty of it. He probably won't get the guernsey this year, but if he keeps going in this form, I doubt he'll have to wait very long.

swansrule100
15th July 2007, 07:34 PM
not this year, 2007 form usually means you end up in the side in 2009

thats what happened in the last 2007 season?

swantastic
15th July 2007, 08:04 PM
Pfffttt No flecken problems,IMHO MELCHO is the most improved player in the competition and a lot of the experts think so too.

Jeffers1984
15th July 2007, 08:16 PM
Pfffttt No flecken problems,IMHO MELCHO is the most improved player in the competition and a lot of the experts think so too.

Agree Swantastic. ESKI is one of the most improved players in the comp. :cool:

Nico
15th July 2007, 08:19 PM
Didn't do himself any harm today. Outstanding BOG.

ugg
15th July 2007, 08:19 PM
Malceski's low-flying direct bullets - a sight to behold. A bit of a lull mid-season has probably cost him a spot me thinks.

Nico
15th July 2007, 08:20 PM
Right now I am getting a run for my money at 1000/1 each way for the Charles Brownlow Medal.

swantastic
15th July 2007, 08:25 PM
Agree Swantastic. ESKI is one of the most improved players in the comp. :cool:Spot on about MELCHO Jeffers :D

NMWBloods
15th July 2007, 08:26 PM
'Eski is having a great season, but I think he has two chances of getting AA or the Brownlow!

swantastic
15th July 2007, 08:30 PM
'Eski is having a great season, but I think he has two chances of getting AA or the Brownlow!Bit harsh NMW he and Kirky have been the best Swans players by a mile this year.

satchmopugdog
15th July 2007, 08:37 PM
Spot on about MELCHO Jeffers :D

Stop shouting you lot

NMWBloods
15th July 2007, 10:28 PM
Bit harsh NMW he and Kirky have been the best Swans players by a mile this year.
Not harsh. He's having a great season. Doesn't mean I think he's ready for either AA or Brownlow.

swantastic
15th July 2007, 10:36 PM
Not harsh. He's having a great season. Doesn't mean I think he's ready for either AA or Brownlow.Kirky will poll very well in the Charlie this year and Melcho will get a few too .As for AA IMHO both of them will make it.

liz
15th July 2007, 10:39 PM
Kirky will poll very well in the Charlie this year and Melcho will get a few too .As for AA IMHO both of them will make it.

Sadly Kirk's not eligible though - and his lack of "flash factor" means he probably won't get all he deserves anyway.

Kirk really should be close to having wrapped up an AA spot by now - though I suspect again he may get overlooked because he's not as fashionable or flashy as the likes of the Kerrs, Burgoynes, Blacks of this world.

ugg
15th July 2007, 10:42 PM
Sadly Kirk's not eligible though - and his lack of "flash factor" means he probably won't get all he deserves anyway.

Kirk really should be close to having wrapped up an AA spot by now - though I suspect again he may get overlooked because he's not as fashionable or flashy as the likes of the Kerrs, Burgoynes, Blacks of this world.
Why is Kirky not eligible? I can't recall him being in trouble with the tribunal this year.

He's usually polled pretty well in the past, and with the usual 'flashy' Swans in Hall and Goodes having a downer of a season I reckon he could poll a few.

liz
15th July 2007, 10:46 PM
Why is Kirky not eligible? I can't recall him being in trouble with the tribunal this year.

He got a reprimand after the Port game when he bumped Chad Cornes front on. Was a bit stiff IMO (and the Fox Sports News team) because he was contesting the ball rather than bumping a player already with his head over the ball. And when he realised he was going to collide front on with Cornes he did all he could to shift his body so that most of the contact was to the shoulder rather than head on. But it was deemed to be negligent contact by the MRP and the Swans chose not to fight it, given he'd have missed a game had he lost.

NMWBloods
15th July 2007, 11:30 PM
Kirky will poll very well in the Charlie this year and Melcho will get a few too .As for AA IMHO both of them will make it.
'Eski will get some votes, but won't win. Kirk will definitely get votes - should do pretty well.

'Eski won't make AA. Should be in line in 2008 or 2009 though.

Kirk's problem with AA is that they will normally pick a pure midfielder rather than a tagger/midfielder.

swansrule100
16th July 2007, 12:12 AM
'Eski will get some votes, but won't win. Kirk will definitely get votes - should do pretty well.

'Eski won't make AA. Should be in line in 2008 or 2009 though.

Kirk's problem with AA is that they will normally pick a pure midfielder rather than a tagger/midfielder.

and ling probably would get any tagger midfield spot ahead of kirk this year

liz
16th July 2007, 01:10 AM

Anyone labelling Kirk as a tagger has no idea, though. He is averaging well over 20 possessions a game at the same time as keeping the likes of Shaun Burgoyne, Paul Hasleby and Scott West to a mere fraction of their normal output.

According to this week's record, he got double figure clearances last week - and a check of the stats table they put in there shows he's close to double the average clearance rate of all midfielders over the whole season.

ugg
16th July 2007, 01:47 AM
It'll be harder this year with the new selection criteria where midfielders can only be named in the midfield or on the bench.

giant
16th July 2007, 09:34 AM
A number of the pundits had Kirk in their AA team at the half way point - & he's only got better since then while a number of the Ferraris have dropped off. Bizarrely enough given his start to the season, Goodes' last 6-7 weeks must have him in the frame too. He's been good to excellent over that time.

NMWBloods
16th July 2007, 10:31 AM
Anyone labelling Kirk as a tagger has no idea, though. He is averaging well over 20 possessions a game at the same time as keeping the likes of Shaun Burgoyne, Paul Hasleby and Scott West to a mere fraction of their normal output.

According to this week's record, he got double figure clearances last week - and a check of the stats table they put in there shows he's close to double the average clearance rate of all midfielders over the whole season.
Yes, but he is still a combo, and his disposal is below the quality of the top midfielders.

ScottH
16th July 2007, 10:46 AM
Yes, but he is still a combo, and his disposal is below the quality of the top midfielders.
That should read "his disposal by foot".

His quick hands are his greatest asset.

cressakel
16th July 2007, 11:28 AM
He got a reprimand after the Port game when he bumped Chad Cornes front on. Was a bit stiff IMO (and the Fox Sports News team) because he was contesting the ball rather than bumping a player already with his head over the ball. And when he realised he was going to collide front on with Cornes he did all he could to shift his body so that most of the contact was to the shoulder rather than head on. But it was deemed to be negligent contact by the MRP and the Swans chose not to fight it, given he'd have missed a game had he lost.

Kirky is still eligible for the Brownlow. Placed some hard earned on Kirky at $61 for Charlie after the Geelong game in Round 13. I asked the bloke at the TAB if Kirky was still eligible and he said if he listed he is eligible. I believe a reprimand still makes you eligible for the Brownlow. If he isn't eligible, the guy at the TAB has a lot to answer for.....

I think Kirky has a big chance as the games we have lost by small margins he has been our best and will possibly get a vote or two. The games we have won Kirky has been front and centre in our best.

NB: I think you will also find Spida will have 3 or 4 BOG's and possibly 10-12 votes in the Brownlow at this stage of calculations. IMO he was BOG in the Richmond, Hawthorn and Carlton games.

ugg
16th July 2007, 11:40 AM
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownlow_Medal

Since 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005), the criterion for ineligibility is to have 100 base points levied by the Tribunal for an infraction in the season. This means that it is now possible for a player to be suspended, but still win the Brownlow. As an example, a player carries 93.75 points from a reprimand from the previous season, and commits an infraction worth 75 base points ? this brings his tally to 168.75, which is enough for a one-week suspension, even with an early plea. Despite the suspension, this player would still be eligible for the prize. Similarly, a player can be ineligible, despite not having been suspended. This most commonly happens when a player is levied 125 base points, but it is reduced to 93.75 with an early plea ? sufficiently low to avoid a suspension. This new system is slightly more confusing and slightly controversial, but also slightly fairer, since a bad tribunal record from previous years will not affect a player's chances of being the fairest and best in a single year.How many base points was Kirk charged with?

NMWBloods
16th July 2007, 12:08 PM
I assume it must be below 100 as he didn't get suspended.

reigning premier
16th July 2007, 12:25 PM
If Eski doesn't make AA, it will be the biggest travesty of justice since Goodes was legged running into goal in the 2005 Qualifying final.

ugg
16th July 2007, 12:32 PM
I assume it must be below 100 as he didn't get suspended.
But isn't that why the Swans pleaded guilty? If they had contested and lost he would have been suspended so that suggests the base points was greater than 100.

goswannie14
16th July 2007, 12:35 PM
That should read "his disposal by foot".

His quick hands are his greatest asset.Some of his handballs yesterday were as good as I have seen on footage of Polly Farmer! A couple of them went 30-40 metres to either hit a team-mate on the chest or allow him to run on to them, simply amazing. I think his work by hand has improved markedly this season...as well as his kicking...well for goal at least.

reigning premier
16th July 2007, 01:08 PM
Some of his handballs yesterday were as good as I have seen on footage of Polly Farmer! A couple of them went 30-40 metres to either hit a team-mate on the chest or allow him to run on to them, simply amazing. I think his work by hand has improved markedly this season...as well as his kicking...well for goal at least.

His hands and feet were all pretty good yesterday....

He coughed up one by foot in the third quarter after a great run through the corridor, straight doen the throat of a defender... :frown

And in the last he was trying a one-two through the centre with B1 and they managed to cough it up and turn it over to an opponent who put it on the chedst of a Cralton fwd for a goal.... Though to be honest, they were showboating a bit.. :p The game was well and truly over and they had switched into training drill mode...

garethb83
16th July 2007, 01:55 PM
Brett Kirk accepted a reprimand and 70.31 carry forward points towards future charges.

Now if my understanding is correct, that means the initial charge would have been somewhere around 94-95 points. Don't you get a 25% reduction for pleading guilty?

liz
16th July 2007, 02:16 PM
Brett Kirk accepted a reprimand and 70.31 carry forward points towards future charges.

Now if my understanding is correct, that means the initial charge would have been somewhere around 94-95 points. Don't you get a 25% reduction for pleading guilty?

He would have been eligible for two 25% discounts - one for a good record of at least 5 years and another for pleading guilty. Gross up twice by that 25% discount from his carry over points and my maths suggests the base points would have been 125 points. It is pretty much impossible to escape with fewer than 100 base points if the incident you're charged with involves head high contact.

My understanding is that base points greater than 100 means you're not eligible for Charlie.

Cressakel - I think you've been dudded by your bookie.

NMWBloods
16th July 2007, 05:14 PM
If the points are discounted, doesn't the new amount become your 'base points'?

ugg
16th July 2007, 05:19 PM
If the points are discounted, doesn't the new amount become your 'base points'?
Points before any discount are base points.

TheHood
16th July 2007, 05:41 PM

It's average isn't it. You can kick a bloke's limb or head off and JUST give away a free kick...it's not negligent or wreckless enough.

NMWBloods
16th July 2007, 06:27 PM
Points before any discount are base points.Okay - ta. That makes sense I guess. Therefore he's not eligible.

voodooguru
17th July 2007, 02:00 AM
He's eligible. On the VicTAB at $31, $8.50 to place. Better than when Goodes came in at $30.33 after the 3-way split, not as good as Goodes again at $81 and $24.

Will, again, take wins from the team on the way to the line.

Is NSW on $.50 multiples, hence the $61s?

voodooguru
17th July 2007, 02:10 AM
Back OT, posted this side in BigFooty's AA discussion. If Heath Shaw is good, The Leftorium is better. Plays in Sydney so the first time around rule may apply. Strong final 7 in a winning side should see him home.

B: Dustin Fletcher, Brian Harris, Tarkyn Lockyer
HB: Heath Shaw, Chad Cornes, Andrew McLeod
C: Nick Del Santo, Sam Mitchell, Brent Harvey
HF: Paul Chapman, Nick Riewoldt, Gary Ablett Jr.
F: Scott Lucas, Brad Johnson, Matthew Pavlich
R: Dean Cox, Jimmy Bartel, Brett Kirk
I: Steve Johnson, Spida Everitt, Nick Malceski, Kane Cornes

Threatening to force their way in: J. Brown, L. Franklin, Malceski on field for Shaw or McLeod, H. Macintosh, M.Scarlett.

liz
17th July 2007, 02:23 AM
He's eligible. On the VicTAB at $31, $8.50 to place.

Can't see how he's eligible according to any of the rules of the medal.

Any chance the TAB missed his reprimand? It didn't get much reporting, given the Swans chose not to "do a Rocca".

voodooguru
17th July 2007, 03:18 AM
Can't see how he's eligible according to any of the rules of the medal.

Any chance the TAB missed his reprimand? It didn't get much reporting, given the Swans chose not to "do a Rocca".

There's always a chance but I seriously doubt it. Never heard of a slip like that in the past. Plenty of coverage here in Asgard (Melbourne).

reigning premier
17th July 2007, 11:48 AM
Just because he's ineligible, doesn't mean he can't be awarded votes.

Perhaps the TAB is paying on votes won, not just the overall winner!

ernie koala
17th July 2007, 11:57 AM
Didn't do himself any harm today. Outstanding BOG.

Spida was clearly BOG.
Melcho had another great game, running off halfback with plenty of dash, great vision and a wonderful kick...but... remember a lot of his posessions are uncontested handball receives. The hard work done by others.
Spida was sensational all over the ground, with plenty of contested marks and superb rucking. He simply destroyed the blues !

voodooguru
17th July 2007, 12:06 PM
Just because he's ineligible, doesn't mean he can't be awarded votes.

Perhaps the TAB is paying on votes won, not just the overall winner!

TAB only pays on eligibles.

ItsAllGoodes
17th July 2007, 12:47 PM
Back on to the original topic, Malceski just made the AFL Team of the week for Round 15...this would be the 3rd or 4th time I think. Unfortunately I cant find a way to research this.

http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=47407

B: Joel Patfull (Brisbane Lions), Matthew Scarlett (Geelong), Sam Fisher (St Kilda)
HB: Andrew McLeod (Adelaide), Trent Croad (Hawthorn), Nick Malceski (Sydney)
C: Adam Simpson (Kangaroos), Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn), Kane Cornes (Port Adelaide)
HF: Adam Cooney (Western Bulldogs), Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda), Daniel Motlop (Port Adelaide)
F: Brad Johnson (Western Bulldogs), Jonathan Brown (Brisbane Lions), Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
FOLL: Peter Everitt (Sydney), Chad Cornes (Port Adelaide), Domenic Cassisi (Port Adelaide)
I/C: Justin Koschitzke (St Kilda), Brent Harvey (Kangaroos), Lenny Hayes (St Kilda), Travis Cloke (Collingwood)

royboy42
18th July 2007, 06:14 PM
I fell into Eski at 1000/1 and 250/1 the place for charlie..and will prob get a bit of a run for my money..but I bet you wonn't see anyhting like that round 2008,09 and later!!

Jeffers1984
18th July 2007, 06:59 PM
Back on to the original topic, Malceski just made the AFL Team of the week for Round 15...this would be the 3rd or 4th time I think. Unfortunately I cant find a way to research this.

http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=47407

B: Joel Patfull (Brisbane Lions), Matthew Scarlett (Geelong), Sam Fisher (St Kilda)
HB: Andrew McLeod (Adelaide), Trent Croad (Hawthorn), Nick Malceski (Sydney)
C: Adam Simpson (Kangaroos), Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn), Kane Cornes (Port Adelaide)
HF: Adam Cooney (Western Bulldogs), Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda), Daniel Motlop (Port Adelaide)
F: Brad Johnson (Western Bulldogs), Jonathan Brown (Brisbane Lions), Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
FOLL: Peter Everitt (Sydney), Chad Cornes (Port Adelaide), Domenic Cassisi (Port Adelaide)
I/C: Justin Koschitzke (St Kilda), Brent Harvey (Kangaroos), Lenny Hayes (St Kilda), Travis Cloke (Collingwood)
I seriously think eski has been in it 6 or 7 times!

swantastic
18th July 2007, 07:04 PM
I seriously think Melcho has been in it 6 or 7 times!Pfftt he has made it every week ,except for the Bummers game.:cool: