PDA

View Full Version : Pagan.

ScottH
23rd July 2007, 02:08 PM
Sacked, this morning.

reigning premier
23rd July 2007, 02:10 PM
Didn't see that one coming..... :rolleyes: ;)

Overated anyway......

perthgirl
23rd July 2007, 02:20 PM
I've heard that Pagan will be sacked today, Fevola to the Eagles and John Longmire is going to coach the Kangaroos next year, has anyone else heard this?
Have also heard many more rumours, has anyone heard the above ones?

ItsAllGoodes
23rd July 2007, 02:25 PM
your first rumour has come true

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22118676-661,00.html

ugg
23rd July 2007, 02:28 PM
So where's Dean Laidley headed to then?

hammo
23rd July 2007, 02:37 PM
Fevola to the Eagles

Fevola + 1st round pick for Chris Judd??

Seriously, who is doing the books at West Coast? How could they possibly fit Fevola under their salary cap?

goswannie14
23rd July 2007, 02:48 PM
Didn't see that one coming..... :rolleyes: ;)

Overated anyway......He was a servicable back pocket player when he played for us in the 70's, but over-rated as a coach.

hammo
23rd July 2007, 03:07 PM
Two premierships as a coach and had North playing in preliminary finals every other year. How anyone can say that's over-rated is beyond me.

NMWBloods
23rd July 2007, 03:09 PM
I thought he was a decent coach.

reigning premier
23rd July 2007, 03:32 PM
Fevola + 1st round pick for Chris Judd??

Seriously, who is doing the books at West Coast? How could they possibly fit Fevola under their salary cap?

They recruited John Elliot to the board in the off season..... :D

reigning premier
23rd July 2007, 03:35 PM
I Dunno how anyone could reckon Nick Davis, BBBBH and Peter Everitt are over rated either... But they do...

NMWBloods
23rd July 2007, 03:43 PM
Who thinks that?

Layby
23rd July 2007, 03:59 PM
Shame, i liked his hair

plus, there are not enough coaches without necks.

573v30
23rd July 2007, 04:15 PM
It's about damn time.

CureTheSane
23rd July 2007, 04:38 PM
Who thinks that?

Remember, there are people here who wanted to remove O'Loughlin and Goodes from the team a couple of years back......

perthgirl
23rd July 2007, 04:41 PM
also heard Mark Harveys wife hates it in perth, cant wait to get back to melbourne...

reigning premier
23rd July 2007, 04:46 PM
also heard Mark Harveys wife hates it in perth, cant wait to get back to melbourne...

She's only human....

Damien
23rd July 2007, 05:09 PM
Good coach. Took over Carlton when they were already on the bottom, and then lost all their draft picks and were in horrible debt. Not sure there was a harder task in the game.

Great press conference too, class act.

Steiger
23rd July 2007, 06:37 PM
He's got a decent record so he'll get another gig anywhere if he wants one.

He did well with the cattle he had to work with at Carlton.

Coaching a power house club that fell from grace was never going to be easy.

giant
23rd July 2007, 08:24 PM
Good coach. Took over Carlton when they were already on the bottom, and then lost all their draft picks and were in horrible debt. Not sure there was a harder task in the game.

Great press conference too, class act.

More to it than that I reckon - no qn a great coach at North but hasn't covered himself with glory at the Blues & frankly North were in decline by the time he left there.

Carlton can't be the easiest place to coach - the politics must be diabolical - but I think AFL coaching has passed him by.

TheHood
23rd July 2007, 08:47 PM
He's got a decent record so he'll get another gig anywhere if he wants one.

He did well with the cattle he had to work with at Carlton.

Coaching a power house club that fell from grace was never going to be easy.

It was less about the Cattle and more about the politics and the undermining and the sheer plotting against him that were his undoing.

The Club should be ashamed of the way they have behaved these past 8 years. That's just the public shame part, they have been a blight on footy for 10 years now thanks the "under the table Jack" and co.

Good luck to Denis, he needs a bit.

doctor swan
23rd July 2007, 09:49 PM
i think everyone is forgetting the players pagan had at nth, any coach bar one would have couched them to a premiership, look at the list a certain wayne carey, mckernan in his prime, archer, stevens, schwass for 1, grant the other, a rock at the back called martyn,king, longmire bagging goals , and so the list goes on. take that as a spine and build around it and play to the strengths and we saw the results. but granted carlton make the swans of the early 90s look world beaters ok not quite but they are that low, and he had a thankless task to lift and build a side that had no short term prospects thanks to pigs arse and other internal politics and that set them back about 5 years.

hammo
23rd July 2007, 10:21 PM
i think everyone is forgetting the players pagan had at nth, any coach bar one would have couched them to a premiership, look at the list a certain wayne carey, mckernan in his prime, archer, stevens, schwass for 1, grant the other, a rock at the back called martyn,king, longmire bagging goals , and so the list goes on. take that as a spine and build around it and play to the strengths and we saw the results. but granted carlton make the swans of the early 90s look world beaters ok not quite but they are that low, and he had a thankless task to lift and build a side that had no short term prospects thanks to pigs arse and other internal politics and that set them back about 5 years.
Geelong in the late 80s / early 90s had an excellent team including possibly the best player to have ever played the game - they still didn't win a flag. So having good players is certainly a help but you need an equally good coach to mould a premiership side.

I'd like you to name 1 bad premiership coach.

Industrial Fan
23rd July 2007, 11:20 PM
Two premierships as a coach and had North playing in preliminary finals every other year. How anyone can say that's over-rated is beyond me.Kangaroos made up the numbers one year.

Took too much time sticking to his game plan. Too much ego. Should have been sacked in 97.

NMWBloods
24th July 2007, 12:57 AM
Won a flag in '99 though.

Damien
24th July 2007, 12:58 AM
Won a flag in '99 though.

Yep and if they had been accurate in the first half in the '98 Grand Final would have won that one as well.

big jack
24th July 2007, 11:00 AM
http://sportsnut.com.au/category.php?intid=48

I thought Harry made some interesting comments about Pagan. Denis is a top bloke and even when the axe fell he spoke with real dignity at the press conference.
Hope he gets another club soon.

Lucky Knickers
24th July 2007, 11:37 AM
Pagan is a class-act. He took on that role at Carlton when the club, the footy department and their list was a mess.
Despite the rumours and infighting and crap with the coaching position he was always dignified. Good luck to him.

reigning premier
24th July 2007, 11:41 AM
Pagan is a class-act. He took on that role at Carlton when the club, the footy department and their list was a mess.
Despite the rumours and infighting and crap with the coaching position he was always dignified. Good luck to him.

He did look pretty dignified yesterday. No whinging, pissing or moaning. Took it like a man and a true professional.

Though, to be honest, he probably took on the job more because they kept throwing wads of money at him until he said stop, rather than because they were so down and out... :D

ScottH
24th July 2007, 03:04 PM
Ratten is care taker coach.

573v30
24th July 2007, 03:48 PM
Voss is still favourite to take over the reigns next year though. Will be interesting to see if Ratten's coaching tactics will bring life in a fairly ordinary lineup that has potential but against the resurging Saints, he'll probably be happy if they lose by less than 50 points.

BeeEmmAre
24th July 2007, 05:59 PM
Voss is still favourite to take over the reigns next year though. Will be interesting to see if Ratten's coaching tactics will bring life in a fairly ordinary lineup that has potential but against the resurging Saints, he'll probably be happy if they lose by less than 50 points.

Sacked Coaches Syndrome anyone?
Don't be surprised if the Blues win.

NMWBloods
24th July 2007, 06:58 PM
Sacked Coaches Syndrome anyone?
Don't be surprised if the Blues win.
That's a myth.

BeeEmmAre
24th July 2007, 08:20 PM
That's a myth.

Melbourne push umpires favourite Essendon all the way - lose by two points to a goal in the last six seconds, play started by a debatable free kick.
Fremantle smash Adelaide on their home ground after playing terribly the week before.

Myth, or mythbusted?

NMWBloods
24th July 2007, 09:34 PM
Melbourne push umpires favourite Essendon all the way - lose by two points to a goal in the last six seconds, play started by a debatable free kick.
Fremantle smash Adelaide on their home ground after playing terribly the week before.

Myth, or mythbusted?
Stats were done on this a few years ago after the last wave of coach sackings - it works out to only about half the time a team with a sacked coach comes out better the next week.

giant
24th July 2007, 11:10 PM
Stats were done on this a few years ago after the last wave of coach sackings - it works out to only about half the time a team with a sacked coach comes out better the next week.

Carlton would LOVE a 50/50 chance of beating the Saints this week!

swantastic
24th July 2007, 11:13 PM
Stats were done on this a few years ago after the last wave of coach sackings - it works out to only about half the time a team with a sacked coach comes out better the next week.Nah i dont believe that,if its true show us some figures.

NMWBloods
25th July 2007, 12:57 AM
I don't have the figures any more. But that was how it came out - was done over most of the 1990s IIRC. Was quite surprising actually.

NMWBloods
25th July 2007, 12:57 AM
Carlton would LOVE a 50/50 chance of beating the Saints this week!
They would, but that would be typical that they would understand the stats about as well as they play football!

ScottH
25th July 2007, 07:10 AM
I don't have the figures any more. But that was how it came out - was done over most of the 1990s IIRC. Was quite surprising actually.
It would be surprising. It always seems that teams win after a coach is sacked.(except for Melbourne)