PDA

View Full Version : In: Crouch, Out: ?

Sanecow
22nd August 2007, 04:21 PM
?Crouchy played okay and he is one that comes into contention. We will discuss that in match committee on Wednesday,? Roos added.

Since Roos has declared Crouch "in contention," who would the match committee be likely to drop if he were to come in? Fill me in!

BurgandiLove
22nd August 2007, 04:22 PM
Nick Davis. He is useless.

Lucky Knickers
22nd August 2007, 04:37 PM
We need someone down on the HBF who can help the Macedonian Marvel without Tadhg - so I'm saying Brennan.

I wouldn't drop Davo - if he can find more of the ball in the next 2 weeks we know he can kick straight.

What do you think cow?

ugg
22nd August 2007, 04:39 PM
I would suspect it would be the Schmidt-meister since Roos declared he would retain Barlow. And if Leo is fit, then Luke Brennan would make way.

Sanecow
22nd August 2007, 04:44 PM
I was thinking that Crouch would probably need some time on the bench so I would drop someone who didn't play the whole game last week but I couldn't find the stats to make the call. Also it would be highly uncharacteristic of the Swans selection committee to drop an old boy (except Davis). So, barring late withdrawals, probably Barlow, Brennan or Schmidt would make way but you'd be losing some height.

NMWBloods
22nd August 2007, 04:44 PM
It amazes me they keep dropping Schmidt when some others just keep getting games no matter what!

Surely Crouch would come in for Bevan or Mathews as they play the same position.

hammo
22nd August 2007, 04:49 PM
I'd keep Crouch on ice until next year (if he's retained).

However if Roos does want to bring him in, the obvious candidate (dare I say it) is Bevan as they both play the small defender role. But with Medhurst and Leon Davis needing match ups it might make some sense to play both.

barry
22nd August 2007, 05:42 PM
It amazes me they keep dropping Schmidt when some others just keep getting games no matter what!

Surely Crouch would come in for Bevan or Mathews as they play the same position.

I dont think Crouch would be any better than Bevan or Matthews. Crouch has done absolutely nothing to convince me he's up to AFL standard over the last year.

Zlatorog
22nd August 2007, 05:49 PM
I would drop Barry Hall. If he's injured he shouldn't be playing. Period.

NMWBloods
22nd August 2007, 06:23 PM
I dont think Crouch would be any better than Bevan or Matthews. Crouch has done absolutely nothing to convince me he's up to AFL standard over the last year.
I don't disagree at all, but if he is going to come in then he should come in for either of those two.

Robbo
22nd August 2007, 07:21 PM
Schmidt SHOULD NOT be dropped if Ben Mathews is retained.

ScottH
22nd August 2007, 08:07 PM
I think it should be Brennan, but my money would be on Schmidt, as he is only in the team as a last minute emergency, from a couple of weeks ago, when he was dropped.

TheHood
22nd August 2007, 08:31 PM
Schmidt SHOULD NOT be dropped if Ben Mathews is retained.

I thought Matthews played his role superbly on the weekend. In fact he's one of the few executing his role to perfection week in and week out.

There are teams without stoppers and they leak goals and disposal badly. We don't leak either badly.

Heartbreaking as the draw was, we stuck to the plan for 80% of the night. Ben did his job on Power to perfection.

NMWBloods
22nd August 2007, 09:59 PM
Adding Crouch for Schmidt just gives us another stopper while losing a ball player. Given we don't kick enough goals now, we can't afford to make swaps like that.

Captain
22nd August 2007, 11:00 PM
A bit off topic but I like Mathews set shot kicking for goal, very accurate.

shaun..
22nd August 2007, 11:32 PM
A bit off topic but I like Mathews set shot kicking for goal, very accurate.
Yep, I'm more confident with his set shot at goal then Barry Hall's :o

Bloody Hell
22nd August 2007, 11:35 PM
Adding Crouch for Schmidt just gives us another stopper while losing a ball player. Given we don't kick enough goals now, we can't afford to make swaps like that.

Disagree with that.

At his best (?) Crouch gives exceptional run through the middle - and penetration. Something Schmidt won't. Can't compare them, different roles. Crouch in - Bevan out. (Mathews is safe.)

NMWBloods
22nd August 2007, 11:51 PM
Yes, at his best, but that best is not apparent throughout the course of most games in the past, even during his prime, and you have to wonder if you'd see any examples of it now. That's not to mention his very ordinary disposal.

top40
25th August 2007, 03:43 PM
The Crouch return against Collingwood at the G at night has all the makings of a fairy tale comeback.

Crouch is making a comeback and playing his 200th Game in the process. The game also happens to represent the first time since Round 7 in 1998 that Sydney and Collingwood have played a night game at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. And who in Round 7 in 1998 made his debut for the Swans? None other than Number 28, J.Crouch.