PDA

View Full Version : Pies match thread

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 07:42 PM
Have got the old familiar feeling sick in the stomach back well and truly. Just as well I don't play.

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 07:43 PM
Can't wait for the fishing show to finish...though I would enjoy it if I wasn't so nervous whenever I watch it on Sat nights.

nat
25th August 2007, 07:52 PM
I feel sick!

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 07:54 PM
Breathe deeply and don't think about how big Rocca and thongy are compared to our backmen.

ugg
25th August 2007, 08:04 PM
One change: Crouch for Barry.

P.S. Maybe if I say indigenous player it will turn into about.

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 08:08 PM
Dead leg for Buckley....but I can't really hate him as he has a pugdog. Damn

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 08:20 PM
Crouch getting towelled up already - just doesnt seem with it yet. Has to get focused quickly or it will cost us big time.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 08:22 PM
Brennan has to get tighter on Rusling. And Jude Bolton.....just no awareness at all.

Pies are switched on and we have to stay with them or this game could be over by quarter time.

Glenn
25th August 2007, 08:31 PM
Seems Sydney have picked up where they left off against Brisbane, time to book those September holidays folks :frown

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 08:31 PM
Good ruck work down to Kirk for our first

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 08:35 PM
We look terrible at the moment - 2nd to every contest. Lucky to only be down by 16.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 08:39 PM
Great kick from Davo. Barely hanging in there at the moment. We really need Qtr time to come.

Swans500
25th August 2007, 08:43 PM
Opposite to last weeks 1st qtr....no stats but ....accurate....

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 08:44 PM
Time Lane just said it......we are....remarkably....in front.

Glenn
25th August 2007, 08:45 PM
Least the goal kicking has improved so far (touch wood), now if we can just get on top like we did vs Bris (before blowing it)

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 08:47 PM
Benny Mathews is a very lucky boy. And the Swans aree very lucky the Pies can't kick straight. They've had enough chances to put us out of the contest already.

Glenn
25th August 2007, 08:48 PM
Rushed behind on 1/4 time to tie it up.
Sydney need to wake up asap, very lucky to go in even.

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 08:50 PM
We played alright...made the most of our opportunities. Goodes playing well.

Other teams can take contested marks in the forward line but we struggle.

Not too bad but could be better.

stellation
25th August 2007, 08:51 PM
Ugh ugh ugh. Does Kirk have an issue with Thomas?

The print media in Sydney had the game starting on delay at 7:30 up here, we just happened to put it on at 7 just in case.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 08:55 PM
Clever work from the Cheese, Schneids too slow, and then a great kick from Noggy. Pity Baz missed - could have done with that to start the 2nd.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 08:59 PM
ROK! Beats Lloyd's effort from last week hands down! Looking much better in the centre this quarter. Goodes is on fire.

Glenn
25th August 2007, 09:02 PM
Looking good now, now to keep it going.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 09:10 PM
Starting to lose it in the centre again and its showing. That last goal to Rocca - gotta hold your feet boys!

Glenn
25th August 2007, 09:12 PM
Remind me to keep my mouth shut :(

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 09:12 PM
Falling apart at the seams very quickly. Simple decision making has gone out the window. In trouble now.

Glenn
25th August 2007, 09:13 PM
Come on boys get your minds back on it.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 09:16 PM
Don't see Micky take many pack marks - but much needed goal.

Glenn
25th August 2007, 09:18 PM
Not picky how they come atm, as long as they come.
Hanging in there just.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 09:26 PM
Very poor end to the 2nd qtr after working hard to get in front. We need to do far better in the centre if we're to stay in this game. Quick deliverey into their forward line is impossible for us to stop, epsecially being so undersized.

Score a fair reflection of the game so far.

nat
25th August 2007, 09:26 PM
What a rubbish quarter..

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 09:28 PM
Roos better go in there at half-time and give them a nice rocket in the backside or a swift kick to the head. Because the way they're going it ain't going to be pretty. The only thing in our favour is they haven't kicked efficiently. Right now we should be behind by the amount we were the last time we played them at TS.

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 09:28 PM
Oh oh.....they look a lot sharper than us.

Big Al
25th August 2007, 09:30 PM
We're in deep, whats the word, @@@@.

Zlatorog
25th August 2007, 09:33 PM
We'll need a miracle to get out of this one. With such effort I can only see us loosing two games in a row and become a finals fodder.:frown

swan_song
25th August 2007, 09:33 PM
Game that must be won...I fear the Swans of old are back, but I hope not...I think Tossa is getting his game-over jacket ready...

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 09:34 PM
Poor Brennan is being isolated. He must be in a very lonely place right now.

The Boot
25th August 2007, 09:35 PM
Turnovers killing us.
Where has it all gone .. the skills I mean.
Brennan can't be left to deal with Rocca.
But who else is going to do it?

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 09:39 PM
Where has it all gone .. the skills I mean.
Back at the GABBA or in Sydney still. :)

I'd like to know wtf the backline is when Brennan is there alone. There's been numerous times he's been isolated without any help.

swan_song
25th August 2007, 09:47 PM
I fear Brennan may be a CP, but we've got sfa in the magoos. For years we've neglected the backline, done nothing really of note since Dunks retired. Leo, who will always hold a dear spot in the memories, isnt a full back, he's a half-back...and with he and the Irishman gone, we're sorely exposed down there, especially against the BIG forwards. Its a testament to B2 that he's done admirably in difficult circumstances. Well, we're heading for 7th or 8th at the moment and an early finals exit... deja vu?

Legs Akimbo
25th August 2007, 09:52 PM
Brennan is of the same ilk as Rohan Warfe. Ta ta.

Really unhappy with the work of some of our senior players. Wouldn't think we were playing for our season. Malceski has taken a nose dive - done nyet. O'Keffe nada. MOl - nil. Davis practically nothing.

The commentators say that we are one tall defender short? What about Barlow for god's sake. Play him back Roos.

Malthouse has run Roos a merry jig this first half as he often seems to.

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 09:55 PM
Finally we get a bloody goal.

Legs Akimbo
25th August 2007, 09:56 PM
Oh yeah, and can someone explain to silly old me why you would include Crouch, clearly underdone at the expense of Dempster when we are light on in the defence. Dempster would have been the perfect match up for Rusling.

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 09:58 PM
Rocca's reported for striking Goodes.

Zlatorog
25th August 2007, 09:59 PM
IMO, Roos must have a soft spot for Crouchy by giving him a last chance to prove himself. Unfortunately for us he decided to do that at the end of the season, not at the beginning.

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 10:02 PM
Magic awesome mark but injured himself in the process. He's coughing up blood and is off the field.

Umpires are certainly aren't helping our cause.

Free Kick Count 21:8

Make that 23:8 - seriously how much did Eddie pay the umpires.

Magic is back on.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 10:13 PM
Most of the frees have been there unfortunately. Schneider's miss after Micky's mark VERY costly. 4 goals the margin - I can't see us getting it back. Not tonight with our forward line so dysfunctional.

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 10:14 PM
I agree that they were there - what I'm saying is there's a number that we could have been awarded and haven't. That's why I made the comment about paying the umpires.

There's no freaking way we'll get back from this.

ETA: The only thing in our favour is three injured players for the Pies. Two of which might be finished for the night.

swans_premiers
25th August 2007, 10:15 PM
here we go...

Pies are damaged. 3 quick goals like the lions nice week would be very very nice.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 10:16 PM
Game over. We're just not playing well enough. But of course, watch the game plan change in the last quarter to play on at all costs, we'll get back in with a sniff but won't do enough and lose by 2-3 goals. Story of the season.

nat
25th August 2007, 10:16 PM
Oh crap..

mcs
25th August 2007, 10:17 PM
Brennan has been disgraceful and the only ones worse have been the yellow maggots- absolutely killed by that Rocca goal just before 3/4 time- didnt half shove Brennan but the black and white f**gots have had it go all their way all night. 2007 is all but gone- it will take a miracle to get back into it.

Turnovers have been terrible though, absolutely killing us apart from the yellow maggots.

ugg
25th August 2007, 10:20 PM
I predict a draw.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 10:21 PM
I predict a draw.
What? If we play an extra qtr after they've gone into the rooms?

Zlatorog
25th August 2007, 10:23 PM
Sorry, guys, but the season is over. We might play in the finals, but with such poor form they won't be going beyond first week in the finals.

giant
25th August 2007, 10:24 PM
Anyone know where I can get a history of free kick counts between us & the Pies in recent times? We get belted vs them every time. Tonight has been just disgraceful.

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 10:24 PM
Well there's a first we actually got a free kick. If people want to use Brennan to single out what about the rest of the backs who have done nothing. He definitely shouldn't be the only one to be called out.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 10:26 PM
Well there's a first we actually got a free kick. If people want to use Brennan to single out what about the rest of the backs who have done nothing. He definitely shouldn't be the only one to be called out.
Could say the same for most of the team. There's only a few that can say they've had decent games.

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 10:28 PM
Could say the same for most of the team. There's only a few that can say they've had decent games.
I agree with that. Right now the only player who has actually tried is A. Goodes and you could add B. Hall to that.

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 10:32 PM
Well there goes Buchanan's season.

Brennan's injured.

And they're definitely home now.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 10:33 PM
I agree with that. Right now the only player who has actually tried is A. Goodes and you could add B. Hall to that.
Wouldn't even say Hall - he was better last week. Only other besides Goodes for me is Jolly.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 10:34 PM
Well there goes Buchanan's season.

Brennan's injured.

And they're definitely home now.
Might even miss some of next season the way we're playing at the moment.

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 10:35 PM
Yep. The way we're going we won't make it past week one.

Brennan's done his hamstring.

AnnieH
25th August 2007, 10:35 PM
To quote one of tonight's txts ... Season. Gone.

AnnieH
25th August 2007, 10:39 PM
Goodsey's had a great game. Pity we don't have a whole squad of Goodseys.

Swans500
25th August 2007, 10:41 PM
Gutless performance.

AnnieH
25th August 2007, 10:42 PM
@@@@ @@@@ @@@@!!!

Zlatorog
Gutless performance.

Agree. He's the only shiny beacon among the players.

gossipcom
Is there any chance we'll be playing the Pies in the finals? Because right now it looks that if we make it it'll be against Hawks, *gulp* Adelaide*gulp*, Brisbane, Bulldogs or Saints.

It's weird but as soon as Magic went off in the 3rd Qtr any hope we had of coming back went out the window.

Goodes has had 32 disposals

shaun..
Very ordinary. Woeful tackling and decision making.

Margie
25th August 2007, 10:44 PM
Goodsey's had a great game. Pity we don't have a whole squad of Goodseys.

He's a one-man band alright.

I don't usually like to be mean, but there's been a couple of real duds out there for us tonight.

Kudos to Collingwood - they actually look like they want it.

The Boot
Are we now officially tanking .. :o

Zlatorog
Yes, we're gone.

shaun..
After this performance, I'm not convinced we can even make the final 8.

AnnieH
25th August 2007, 10:45 PM
Goodes = 32 disposals ... 3 mins into time on.
Bless.
All time home & away record broken.

Sorry folks. Finals fodder.

Swans500
25th August 2007, 10:46 PM
All the veterans bar Goodes should be pilloried by the coach....who hadn't been all that smart either!!!!

They do not have the hunger any more that is now definately obvious....the spirit left with Leo.

Legs Akimbo
will sort of be nice to watch a final series without having to sit on the edge of my seat the whole time.

gossipcom
Well it's a big game at the SCG next week now for us. If we win we're in the finals... if we lose we could quite possibly be out. Only good thing for us is by Sunday afternoon we'll have a fair idea what the situation is.

Goodes has just hit an all-time high for him.

There won't be any Buchanan or Magic by the looks of it next week. Looks like Schneider is injured too.

AnnieH
25th August 2007, 10:47 PM
33rd Disposal.
Why are the pies booing Goodsey???
They should go to the dentist and buy some teeth!

shaun..
25th August 2007, 10:48 PM
Ordinary follow-up game by Barlow. Has looked out of touch with some very costly turnovers and ordinary decision making. Not the only poor performer though..

shaun..
25th August 2007, 10:49 PM
33rd Disposal.
Why are the pies booing Goodsey???
They should go to the dentist and buy some teeth!
They couldn't possibly be confused with the numbers 37 and 32?

AnnieH
25th August 2007, 10:49 PM
Ablett looks hurt. Sore right shoulder.

Margie
25th August 2007, 10:52 PM
will sort of be nice to watch a final series without having to sit on the edge of my seat the whole time.

And not have to scramble for finals tickets, airfares, accommodation etc.

2007 has been a very ordinary season. I'm glad it's almost over.

gossipcom
25th August 2007, 10:52 PM
Well if the Hawks lose tomorrow and if we can somehow pull ourselves together next week for a win then we'll be jumping to 6th, which means we'll be playing the the Hawks first week in the finals (since 6 plays 7). That is the best thing we can hope for right now.

Mike_B
25th August 2007, 10:53 PM
Thank god tonight is over. Apart from a few minutes at the end of the 1st/start of the 2nd, we just didn't look anything like a decent side in contention for the top 4, let alone finals. Very disappointing.

AnnieH
25th August 2007, 10:55 PM
Other than poor Goodsey, they just didn't have a lot tonight, did they?
Oh well. I'll go to Canberra and see Floriade instead of going to Melbourne to see the Granny.

tasswan
25th August 2007, 10:55 PM
I think apart from Goodes the other player that can hold their head high is Craig Bolton thought he did a great job, as for the rest pretty ordinary, about what we usually play like against the pies.

AnnieH
25th August 2007, 10:57 PM
After the pies players put their teeth back in and sing their song ... I'm interested to see what Roosey has to say.

I'm glad Rocca got reported. I hope he gets a month. As for Buchanan ... we're not gunna miss him anyways.

ugg
25th August 2007, 10:57 PM
In the immortal words of Hinch:
Shame shame shame (apart from Goodes)

Really shattered, the season really ended for us tonight and perhaps it would be nice of Hawthorn if they could knock us out of the top 8 next week.

AnnieH
25th August 2007, 11:00 PM
At least we can go into season 2008 without the "premiership" pressure on us. If Goodsey spends next year playing like he did tonight, he'd be a dead-set cert for Brownlow 2008.
Brilliant performance.

shaun..
25th August 2007, 11:02 PM
I'm glad Rocca got reported. I hope he gets a month. As for Buchanan ... we're not gunna miss him anyways.

I thought the commentators tried to down play the Rocca clenched fist strike on Adam Goodes. To Goodes' credit he got up while Rocca tried to deny the whole thing.
As for Buchanan's incident they were all over him.

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 11:03 PM
Fitting end to a @@@@ty week. My youngest tried to become a Magpie supporter on Thursday night and had 7 teeth busted making up the numbers in a girls footy match. Have spent the last 2 nights at the dentists......should have donated the fragments to those ignorants booing Goodesy. What did he do?????????

Vivien
25th August 2007, 11:04 PM
A pretty disappointing evening. We only had four players who really esteemed themselves - Goodes, Bolton, Jolly and Hall. Most of the rest were average at best. What's worse, is that the players really didn't look all that intersested. Apart from periods in the first half, they were pretty flat.

Having said that, Collingwood were excellent. They taught us a lesson in tackling, kicking to targets and general intensity.

573v30
25th August 2007, 11:06 PM
Pathetic effort really. It sure doesn't help with Monty ending his season prematurely, Brennan suffering from a hammy and MOL with internal bleeding (I think).

Goodes was great and although he didn't want to be manned up and he played as the free man, that did cost the Swans 2-3 goals because his opponent was able to score without defensive pressure from Goodes.

Vivien
25th August 2007, 11:07 PM
I thought the commentators tried to down play the Rocca clenched fist strike on Adam Goodes. To Goodes' credit he got up while Rocca tried to deny the whole thing.
As for Buchanan's incident they were all over him.

Was listening to the commentary on ABC radio, and thought their assessment of the Goodes/Rocca incident was disgraceful. They basically said that there was nothing in the hit, and Goodes was lucky not to be penalised for acting.

AnnieH
25th August 2007, 11:07 PM
Fitting end to a @@@@ty week. My youngest tried to become a Magpie supporter on Thursday night and had 7 teeth busted making up the numbers in a girls footy match. Have spent the last 2 nights at the dentists......should have donated the fragments to those ignorants booing Goodesy. What did he do?????????

Nothing much - just have a record-equalling career best 33 disposals.

alison.z
25th August 2007, 11:08 PM
buchanan is an idiot and deserves to be gone!!

what a woeful performance but nearly everyone (except obviously goodesey, c.bolton as usual and maybe hall)

i don't think we can win the premiership playing like we do but if we get to the finals then anything can happen but i'm not holding my breath.

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 11:08 PM
Positives.....GOODES
B2
Accurate kicking in the first quarter
Bevan did a reasonable job. Loved his tackle on Buckley in the last quarter. He wasn't overawed by the Moron crowd and the reverence of the supergod Buckley. He just rammed straight into him.
Richards did OK.

alison.z
25th August 2007, 11:09 PM
i don't think they were booing goodsey - he kicked it to buchanan ...

swan_song
I'm quite calm about this. Tonight summed up the season... a few good wins but basically only a shadow of 05. We don't really deserve to be contenders this year, and I do hope that the Cats can now go on and win it. In these last three seasons, we've had one great year, one reasonable year and now we're back to earth. The team that played tonight, with a few exceptions -- most notably Goodsie -- should hang their heads in absolute shame; the worst performance since they played the Pies at the Olympic Stadium at break time. But on the bright side, I've saved a couple of thousand dollars in GF tickets, airfares, accommodation, etc this year. Thanks Swannies.

shaun..
Having said that, Collingwood were excellent. They taught us a lesson in tackling, kicking to targets and general intensity.

Very disappointed in the tackling aspect. Our game plan revolves around it but yet there were quite a few missed tackles.

satchmopugdog
25th August 2007, 11:11 PM
Very disappointed in the tackling aspect. Our game plan revolves around it but yet there were quite a few missed tackles.

That stood out like a certain part of a short haired male dog's anatomy

shaun..
25th August 2007, 11:12 PM
That stood out like a certain part of a short haired male dog's anatomy
A number of times I was blowing up at the umps for not giving HTB, to only see the back of a Magpie player running away..

Bob Neil
25th August 2007, 11:15 PM
Maybe if we'd won last week, we'd have played with more confidence tonight, being in the top 4 (?). Confidence seemed to be lacking in younger players tonight. Depressed, particularly losing to C'wood.

Vivien
25th August 2007, 11:16 PM
As an aside, when on earth are we going to get a fair deal with the umps? Some of the bad decisions that went against us tonight must've been incredibly disheartening for the players.

NOTE: This is not an excuse for the poor performance, just an observation.

shaun..
25th August 2007, 11:18 PM
Maybe if we'd won last week, we'd have played with more confidence tonight, being in the top 4 (?). Confidence seemed to be lacking in younger players tonight. Depressed, particularly losing to C'wood.
They said they got over the "loss" pretty quickly :rolleyes:

sprite
25th August 2007, 11:19 PM
Too many passengers..

Game plan needs a review...

At the moment don't see any need to worry about finals.. we aren't troubling anyone.

shaun..
25th August 2007, 11:20 PM
As an aside, when on earth are we going to get a fair deal with the umps? Some of the bad decisions that went against us tonight must've been incredibly disheartening for the players.

Agreed. 8-1 in both the 1st and 3rd quarters is disgraceful. The HTB decision against Barlow was quite comical after Clement's attempt and non-call. What was the final penalty count?

alison.z
25th August 2007, 11:20 PM

absolutely crucified by the umpires as usual - but defs not an excuse ... we lost the game all on our own ... it just makes it extremely frustrating!!

Vivien
25th August 2007, 11:23 PM
What was the final penalty count?

28-11

TheMase
25th August 2007, 11:23 PM
What was the final penalty count?

28 - 11
Ridiculous.

We were shocking. In some ways I hope we lose next week and miss the finals. Maybe we'll get the hunger back next year. Realistically with our current injury situation we are not going to do any damage. Players are playing injured and we have too many outs (important ones).

Jude Bolton often plays a decent first quarter and goes missing, today was no exception. Move him on whilst he still has trade value as I doubt we'll miss him.

Plenty of ordinary players, Goodes and Craig Bolton were nearly the only highlights.

Very disappointing from a team that had top 4 on the line (two weeks running).

On to 2008, nothing is going to eventuate this year.

Vivien
25th August 2007, 11:28 PM
In some ways I hope we lose next week and miss the finals. Maybe we'll get the hungry back next year.

I can see where you're coming from, but ultimately I think we're better off trying to salvage something from the rest of the season. If the team gets it's act together we may actually have a chance of making a decent impression in the finals. That's what disappoints me most about the last two weeks - we can be so, so much better than what we have been.

sprite
25th August 2007, 11:32 PM
Jude Bolton often plays a decent first quarter and goes missing, today was no exception. Move him on whilst he still has trade value as I doubt we'll miss him.

Plenty of ordinary players, Goodes and Craig Bolton were nearly the only highlights.

On to 2008, nothing is going to eventuate this year.

Come on - Jude isn't the only one.. also I doubt anyone would seriously trade anything worthwhile for him.

Sad to say - the game has passed Crouch by - too small, limited ability..let him play out the season, then good bye.

Benny - time to leave and not because of tonight.

If you want trade bait:

Jolly - could be worth some curency as long as Donk can fill the gap.

Bevan - may bring some interest..

Melcho - Would be top value in trades but only for top quality like Judd

swan_song
25th August 2007, 11:33 PM
28 - 11
Ridiculous.

We were shocking.

Unfortunately for us, come trade time, other teams want players who can actually kick the ball.

And yes, very disappointing when so much was on offer...but how many times have the Swans been in that position only to let us down...I've lost count...

NMWBloods
25th August 2007, 11:36 PM
Wow, that was the biggest load of @@@@ I can remember in a long time.

Anyone who says that teams will be worried if they play us in finals are just kidding themselves. We'll get steamrollered.

Goodes was sensational. Single-handedly tried to keep us in the game.

Midfield was worse than useless. J Bolton and Ablett are crap. McVeigh is hopeless. Buchanan and Schneider do a few nice things in bursts but not enough overall. Fosdike did nothing. Kirk was okay but limited impact.

How useless is Ablett!?! Playing on a much older guy who hasn't played in a year and he gets beaten at most contests and doesn't even have the sense to run him off his feet given the suspect hamstring!

Rucks tried hard, but it's not much use when you tap the ball to a midfielder and they drop it. Everitt was also carrying an injury.

Backline struggled manfully against massive weight of numbers. I think I50s were 48-21 at one stage. Late in the second quarter Collingwood had 9 in a row! C Bolton did very well. I thought Brennan was okay given he was massively undersized. Richards was just ordinary. Bevan was okay. Crouch is finished. Mathews did a good defensive job on Lockyer, but was poor otherwise. Malceski was just okay.

Forward had very limited opportunities. The ball rarely went in there and when it did the disposal was poor.

What was worse is a lot of our efforts were very weak. Tackling was hopeless, reading the play was non-existent and much of the time the players seemed to have little idea of what they were doing.

TheMase
25th August 2007, 11:37 PM
Come on - Jude isn't the only one.. also I doubt anyone would seriously trade anything worthwhile for him.

But Jude has let us down ALL season, not just now.

As for your trade options, there is no way Malceski is going anywhere. Has less than 50 games experience. Not many players with his ability will less than 50 games going around.

He will continue to improve and will captain Sydney someday IMO.

shaun..
25th August 2007, 11:38 PM

Sad to say - the game has passed Crouch by - too small, limited ability..let him play out the season, then good bye.

Benny - time to leave and not because of tonight.

If you want trade bait:

Jolly - could be worth some curency as long as Donk can fill the gap.

Bevan - may bring some interest..

Melcho - Would be top value in trades but only for top quality like Judd
I thought Jude was a legitimate case, as opposed to the three that you've suggested. Jolly would leave our rucks short on numbers and experience, unfortunately we cannot rely on Doyle. I would've thought Jude had more value than Bevan. And Malceski will be great one day, why trade him?

Margie
I think Buckley's return did us no favours either. It was like Cousin's return match - so much hype, home crowd, champion player.

So many of our senior players need to lift if we do make the finals. Jude was great in the first quarter but with all the tough grunt work over the years, he tends to fade.

Swans just don't look like a team confident of winning at the moment (and haven't for much of this season).

NMWBloods
I can see where you're coming from, but ultimately I think we're better off trying to salvage something from the rest of the season. If the team gets it's act together we may actually have a chance of making a decent impression in the finals. That's what disappoints me most about the last two weeks - we can be so, so much better than what we have been.There is nothing to suggest we will make an impression in finals. That was a year ago. We have been generally ordinary this year.

mcs
25th August 2007, 11:40 PM
GAME OVER... Simple as. We were pretty damn poor tonight across the ball. 2 exceptions though- Craig Bolton did well again and if he misses AA I will be particulary disappointed and Adam Goodes- was best on ground tonight by a long way in a poor team.

Other then that where do you start.... All the backs were bad but Im afraid Brennan was terrible- beaten about 6 times by Rusling before finally getting moved and had the major hand in 3 of the 4 goals in the 2nd quarter in that 5 minute period by the Pies that killed us. Was very ordinary tonight to say the least.

Hall did ok but really only did somethign when the game was gone.
Kirk Tried hard but is not in his best form.
O Keefe was nowhere
Ditto Davis
Ditto our whole midfield
Ditto rest of the defense.

Our tackling was absolutely pathetic tonight. From a team that has prided itself on its tackling ability as one of its strength we must of dropped off about 15 makable tackles at least. But gee those Yellow Maggots were bad- may as well have been wearing Black and white as they were terrible. We seemed to be allowed 1 split second with the ball when Collingwood were allowed hours. And pinged twice in the game for throwing the ball when neither were (And both called by umpires hardly close enough to call it). But we cant blame them, as if we had of played half decently we would of won that. Simple as. But we were terrible simple as. Nothing good out of that performance tonight bar A Goodes imo.

sprite
25th August 2007, 11:41 PM
But Jude has let us down ALL season, not just now.

As for your trade options, there is no way Malceski is going anywhere. Has less than 50 games experience. Not many players with his ability will less than 50 games going around.

He will continue to improve and will captain Sydney someday IMO.

I agree. but if you want quality you need to give up something of value.

Which is something others don't seem to appreciate.

I like a Jolly for O'hAlpin trade...:D

Captain
25th August 2007, 11:41 PM
Add poor coaching to the list.

Margie
25th August 2007, 11:42 PM
There is nothing to suggest we will make an impression in finals. That was a year ago. We have been generally ordinary this year.

Agreed. Just look at Geelong, and the way West Coast played against the Saints last night.

Melbournehammer
25th August 2007, 11:56 PM
Jude is not worth trading as we would get nothing for him. The real problem is that he should be plyed on the ball and not as a defensive forward. He is capable of getting the ball in contests but he is a terrible kick. He is just unable to pass or kick at goal with any accuracy. i think there were 2 goals kicked directly from his kicks favouring the defender

Anyway the main issues are :

1. we have appalling skills. When we do get it schneider misses a free man crouch misses a free man and so on. two years ago we had the best skills in the league, we now have amongst the worst

2. we desperately miss the running defenders of kennelly and barry - you could tell in the first half that we would get the ball and stop and have nithing to kick to, nothing to run to and a general lack of faith.

3. our inability to get the ball unless kirk or goodes get it is just embarassing. we desperately need a cresswell type player.

4. the lack of speed on the forward line is a huge problem. two often the ball would have collingwood players get to the ball and make something that should be contested uncontested by superior pace

5. generally speaking the defence defended well but could not create. the midfield couldn't get it and forwards didnt see it

6. the zonal defence outside 50 was incredibly counter productive as they found people to kick to the goal sq and we couldn't defend there anyway

overall a very poor performance and perhaps this side should be dismantled for 2011

swan_song
25th August 2007, 11:59 PM
It's sad, but true, but now I'm just looking forward to playing ther Pies (???) at North Sydney Oval in Feb...roll on 2008 season, and see if we can halt the decline and actually make the eight!

swan_song
26th August 2007, 12:03 AM
3. our inability to get the ball unless kirk or goodes get it is just embarassing. we desperately need a cresswell type player.

Now you're talking, lets bring him back, he honestly couldnt be slower than some of the guys out there tonight...

Swans500
26th August 2007, 12:04 AM
Absolutely.

Jude is not worth trading as we would get nothing for him. The real problem is that he should be plyed on the ball and not as a defensive forward. He is capable of getting the ball in contests but he is a terrible kick. He is just unable to pass or kick at goal with any accuracy. i think there were 2 goals kicked directly from his kicks favouring the defender

Anyway the main issues are :

1. we have appalling skills. When we do get it schneider misses a free man crouch misses a free man and so on. two years ago we had the best skills in the league, we now have amongst the worst

2. we desperately miss the running defenders of kennelly and barry - you could tell in the first half that we would get the ball and stop and have nithing to kick to, nothing to run to and a general lack of faith.

4. the lack of speed on the forward line is a huge problem. two often the ball would have collingwood players get to the ball and make something that should be contested uncontested by superior pace

5. generally speaking the defence defended well but could not create. the midfield couldn't get it and forwards didnt see it

6. the zonal defence outside 50 was incredibly counter productive as they found people to kick to the goal sq and we couldn't defend there anyway

overall a very poor performance and perhaps this side should be dismantled for 2011

mcs
26th August 2007, 12:05 AM
very important point though from Melbournehammer unless its goodes or Kirk in there we cant get the ball and we cant get it out effectively. A lot of players can jump on top but they cant get the ball out. I think a lot of that has to do with our skills which have gone backward by a large amount this year.

Margie
26th August 2007, 12:05 AM
Add poor coaching to the list.

Thought Roos should have moved Brennan off Rusling after he (Rusling) took his first 3-4 marks.

NMWBloods
26th August 2007, 12:06 AM
...snip...

Yep!!

NMWBloods
26th August 2007, 12:08 AM
Thought Roos should have moved Brennan off Rusling after he (Rusling) took his first 3-4 marks.
Poor Brennan - he's too small to be a key position defender.

ugg
26th August 2007, 12:10 AM
Poor Brennan - he's too small to be a key position defender.
Yes that is true but I don't think that was the deciding factor tonight.

NMWBloods
26th August 2007, 12:12 AM
I thought he looked good in spots. Took some nice marks, collected the ball and ran it confidently a few times. He mainly seemed completely out of sorts when playing against the bigger players.

ugg
26th August 2007, 12:14 AM
I thought he looked good in spots. Took some nice marks, collected the ball and ran it confidently a few times. He mainly seemed completely out of sorts when playing against the bigger players.
But he can't kick for crap. Worse than Jude Bolton and that's saying something. And with the kind of game plan we have, he just cannot be played in defence.

NMWBloods
26th August 2007, 12:15 AM
Yeah I've seen his crap kicking before, but I can't recall so much tonight.

Speaking of J Bolton - stupid AFL site has him in the best! :rolleyes:

WASwansFanatic
26th August 2007, 12:16 AM
My god.....i havent read the other posts.... so please excuse me if this has already been said..........

1. Besides the 15 min period between end of 1st and initial stages of 2nd.......we were bloody disgraceful.

2. Ed Barlow.......please......he looked slow....overweight.....and second rate

3. Goodesy.....I love you

4. We are gone....next week we will win....the following we will lose and goodbye finals.

5. Please can someone take the bloody umpires out the back and smash the living crap out of them?

6. I am angry...................and sad.

573v30
26th August 2007, 12:17 AM

Speaking of J Bolton - stupid AFL site has him in the best! :rolleyes: I assume he got on that list because he had 19 disposals.

ugg
26th August 2007, 12:18 AM

Speaking of J Bolton - stupid AFL site has him in the best! :rolleyes:
Hahaha, that's hilarious. His mum must write those reports.

573v30
26th August 2007, 12:18 AM
My god.....i havent read the other posts.... so please excuse me if this has already been said..........

1. Besides the 15 min period between end of 1st and initial stages of 2nd.......we were bloody disgraceful.

2. Ed Barlow.......please......he looked slow....overweight.....and second rate

3. Goodesy.....I love you

4. We are gone....next week we will win....the following we will lose and goodbye finals.

5. Please can someone take the bloody umpires out the back and smash the living crap out of them?

6. I am angry...................and sad. You've pretty much summed it up.

Melbournehammer
26th August 2007, 12:25 AM
his kicking is poor - but our best player kicked a helicopter to jolly on the wing which cost us a win the week before. . i think brennan offers something - he has clean hands and is a good mark.

Robbo
26th August 2007, 12:31 AM
Didn't someone say Barlow is one of the quickest players on our list? He looked ridiculously slow tonight.

Umpires crucified us. Holding the ball decisions against Kirk, Fosdike and Barlow were all wank.

Amon's year is over.

AnnieH
26th August 2007, 12:31 AM
Amon's year is over.

No great loss.

Robbo
26th August 2007, 12:40 AM
No great loss.

Agreed.

ugg
26th August 2007, 12:43 AM
Amon is one of the few offensive midfielders we have. You're deluding yourself if you didn't think he would be a big loss.

Robbo
26th August 2007, 12:45 AM
Amon is one of the few offensive midfielders we have. You're deluding yourself if you didn't think he would be a big loss.

IN: Laidlaw.

Problem solvered.

WASwansFanatic
26th August 2007, 12:47 AM
Out: Barlow.
In: Turtle...

It'd be @@@@@@@** quicker than Barlow

ugg
26th August 2007, 12:48 AM
Wow 2 games and already Barlow has his critics. This board never ceases to amaze me.

Swannette
26th August 2007, 12:49 AM
Except I think Laidlaw is on the injury list with a hammy. Problem not solved.

NMWBloods
26th August 2007, 12:50 AM
Agreed. He makes mistakes, but he's one of the most creative midfielders we have.

WASwansFanatic
26th August 2007, 12:50 AM
Ill give him a chance..once he drops 20 kilos....

NMWBloods
26th August 2007, 12:51 AM
Out: Barlow.
In: Turtle...

It'd be @@@@@@@** quicker than Barlow
I felt sorry for Barlow. The speed of AFL (cf Canberra) really seemed to catch up with him tonight. However, I still think he looks like he'll be a pretty good player.

Robbo
26th August 2007, 12:51 AM
Who was it that said Barlow was quick?

Except I think Laidlaw is on the injury list with a hammy. Problem not solved.

IN: Simpkin

Swans500
26th August 2007, 01:04 AM
McGuire on MMM after the game was sickening. He had the premiership sewn up....Rocca unjustly dealt with and Amon out for 2 years!!!!
The gloating was horrific.

WASwansFanatic
26th August 2007, 01:11 AM
He is a tosser.
What is really annoying me....is the fact that Collingwood who winge about everything and anything.....has the AFL in it's pockets....FFS how many games do they play at the MCG..........
hmmm.......I am really starting to HATE Demetriou and his regime.

Nico
26th August 2007, 01:21 AM
Just home from the game and I cant believe anyone has mentioned our centre bounce work and clearances. As a critic of this aspect of our game I took special notice of what happened.

Our players let the opposition players get in front of them at almost every bounce except for Jude Bolton. All he did in the first half at every, I repeat every centre bounce was to try to block Swan and O"Bree. Not once did he make a beeline for the ball. Now he might be under instruction to do this but even when the ball came his way both of these beat him to the contest. He was moved to HF in the second half and only contested 1 centre bounce in the last Q, which he won but kicked around his body straight to a Pies player.

On the night he only passed accurately by foot once, and that was late in the game. He may have some stats but by gee he was very poor.

In the second Q when Collingwood got a 4 goal run on they won the centre bounces 4 times in a row for 4 goals and it was O'Bree every time. People rubbished Brennan but no back could have stopped a couple of those passes that hit on the chest on the lead because of nil midfield pressure.

I think this game proved the club must draw a line in the sand right now and say enough is enough with some players.

Everitt - yep might have got a pinched nerve in the back but his dinky 20 metre passes under no pressure to Pies players was a highlight. He is now an old man in footy terms and it is a waste of time him continuing.
J Bolton - see above. No good as a midfielder so why persist with him anywhere else.
Mathews - was 20 metres off Lockyer all night. Cant agree that he held him.
Mcveigh - proved he is just a footballer. Was poor all night and was repeatedly caught and failed to handball. His kicking on the few times he got it was just woeful.
Ablett - on Buckley in the first Q but oh how he has dropped away. Maybe he has always been so so, remember his back kick to Cousins in 2005 GF. His kicking is simply shoddy and just doesn't get it enough. Genuine passenger.
Buchanan - the great waster of the team. Apart from his stupid act, he is a very selfish footballer. Twice he turned it over for goals when he clearly had a chance to move the ball on. Continually tries to breakthorugh packs instead of creating and one of clangers was a stop and hand ball back without looking. Just horrible stuff. His kicking under no pressure was quite forgettable.

People have said Hall was one of our better players but he still drops many marks, and that one where there was a well weighted kick to him at the start of the last Q that he spilled 15 metres out was soul destroying for us at the game. The game was in the balance.
Bevan I thought played OK and was way better than a lot of the team.
Davis was on and off the ground and only once went to the midfield for a clearance. Should have been in there when it was obvious we were getting flogged.
Fozzie was well down on his usual MCG standard.

I thought Jolly (excellent game) Malceski, Richards, Kirk, C Bolton, O"Keefe (second half) and at times Schneider worked hard.

People are tough on Barlow. His only sin was playing reserves type footy by trying to break tackles instead of getting the ball off. He needs to learn the awareness to handball. If he had broken a couple of those tackles he would have been a hero. What I like about him is that he gets where the footy is at a lot.

Brennan can play and showed enough to say he is here to stay.

Nico
26th August 2007, 01:30 AM
I felt sorry for Barlow. The speed of AFL (cf Canberra) really seemed to catch up with him tonight. However, I still think he looks like he'll be a pretty good player.

He was spent half way throught he third Q. He did a lot of running to contests, something others didn't do. He could have gone back in the second Q and kicked for goal, when he ran on mistakedly thinking he should get it on quickly to someone at the goal front. Problem was they were all up field flooding.

Did I forget Goodes in my previous post, dreadful mistake. His game was simply outstanding and when he almost ran the field in the last Q it was his highlight for mine. Surely must be the sole captain next season.

Nico
26th August 2007, 01:37 AM
What a joke that Crouch played. I reckon it was only to get up his 200 games. His effort was laughable and was the BIGGEST passenger. To think he got a game before Dempster and LRT. What were they thinking. Talk about massive carry over brownie points.

Nico
26th August 2007, 01:41 AM
Crouch for Schmidt, what a blunder.

shaun..
26th August 2007, 02:09 AM
Is it me or are people overreacting to Buchanan's bump on Clarke? The commentators went mental over it and the same can be said for some BF posters. It definitely deserves a couple of weeks but it surely isn't worse than the Johnson hit.

robbieando
26th August 2007, 04:19 AM
Is it me or are people overreacting to Buchanan's bump on Clarke? The commentators went mental over it and the same can be said for some BF posters. It definitely deserves a couple of weeks but it surely isn't worse than the Johnson hit.

It certainly is a over-reaction of sorts, because he will be hit with a Level 4 or 5 Grading for the bump, but for them to be claiming 4 weeks is a certain starting point for Amon's suspension is a joke to me (those who claim 5+ are beyond help aready and someone on the Swans Board suggested he'll get 8 weeks because it was a week after the Johnson bump. Excuse me while I throw up in my mouth a little....

Basically it will come down to whether the MRP view the "Conduct" as either Intentional or Reckless. We can all agree its "High" Impact and "High/Groin" Contact. Doesn't really matter if its Charging or Rough Conduct (because they carry the same Demerit points) that he is charged with.

Intentional and he'll get a Level 5 Grading (8 Activation Points) with 550 Demerit Points with the 25% off for a clean record and another 25% off for a Guilty plea and that would give him a final total of 309.25 and a 3 week suspension.

Reckless and he'll get a Level 4 Grading (7 Activation Points) with 425 Demerit Points with the 25% off for a clean record and another 25% off for a Guilty plea and that would give him a final total of 239.0625 and a 2 week suspension.

So what basically is a 4-5 week suspension "on paper" from the MRP will turn out to be a 2-3 week one basically because Buchanan has a clean history and the Swans will no doubt plea guilty early rather than risking extra time on the sidelines for Amon, just in case we can go past Week 1/2 of the finals (unlikely I know) or have him unavailable for the opening few Rounds of the 2008 season.

Silly action by Buchanan, but not the 4+ week suspension that everyone is suggesting.

Captain
26th August 2007, 10:15 AM
Agree that Barlow looks slow, no excuses. I like the guy but he needs to work on his speed/fitness.

Melbournehammer
26th August 2007, 10:44 AM
to those defending amon and his tremendous forward work have a watch of the game again where he chose to overlook ted twice on the left half back flank and go over his head to barry - both instances leading directly to goals and he his refusal to release the ball when we were actually just starting to look good in the second quarter.

his overall game last night was poor - he failed to complete tackles (altho not alone in this regard), and caused three collingwoods goals from his turnovers.

generally speaking we do not have the players who can repeatedly win the ball and deliver it successfully. we miss williams, maxfield, kenelly, barry. Their replacements are just not to the same standard and we will really struggle when leo retires (even tho he repeatedly gives away frees inside 50 he is vital for us going forwards)

swansrule100
26th August 2007, 11:40 AM
crap game, crap umpiring, crap coverage. Why do we need a replay of that idiot joffa, bad enough they show him 50 times, then a replay of the coat going on.

We could of won this game, how many times do we just bomb it forward, hall isnt 100% yet the team think he is superman, if you kick it somewhere near punt road he will mark it. When was the last time someone hit hall on the chest on a nice lead?

How many times in defence would two or more players fly for the ball and collingwood get the crumbs, thats just basic football, how about some talk? maybe one player watch the defenders, not just all try to punch the ball.

The sad part is how close we get in these types of games, despite playing poor football, it shows perhaps if we adhere to some basics we could be winning a lot more!!

Better win next week and be prepared to start playing 4 decent quarters.

As for amons hit, probably reckless, but good to see some aggression in a way.

Crouch in for barry? great swap, such similar players!!!!!!

Time to recruit a tall backman and a midfielder who can at least hit a target.

Also while i am just typing rubbish, stop playing nick davis out of position.

Robbo
26th August 2007, 12:21 PM
Barlow had 6 posessions for 6 clangers.

Mike_B
26th August 2007, 12:51 PM
Clangers also include frees against, so not every possession of his ended in a clanger.

cruiser
26th August 2007, 12:55 PM
The free kick paid against Schneider in the last quarter for running too far, as he was heading towards goal weaving through centre and at a time when the Swans had a run on, was the worst umpiring decision EVER! Schneider clearly bounced the ball TWICE! I'm not being silly enough to say that it cost us the game, but its timing and the fact that it was an act of gross stupidity by the ump, almost caused me to burst a blood vessel.

TheMase
26th August 2007, 01:04 PM
The free kick paid against Schneider in the last quarter for running too far, as he was heading towards goal weaving through centre and at a time when the Swans had a run on, was the worst umpiring decision EVER! Schneider clearly bounced the ball TWICE! I'm not being silly enough to say that it cost us the game, but its timing and the fact that it was an act of gross stupidity by the ump, almost caused me to burst a blood vessel.

Thank you! I had sworn that he had bounced the ball, and was bemused when they pulled him up?

Umpiring was terribly inconsistent.

NMWBloods
26th August 2007, 06:51 PM
It was a disgraceful hit - easily deserves 3 weeks.

dimelb
26th August 2007, 11:59 PM
Agree that Barlow looks slow, no excuses. I like the guy but he needs to work on his speed/fitness.
Barlow is rated (I think I saw this in the official site when RWO was down) as the best endurance runner at the club and in the top five for speed. He had a very ordinary game last night but I think he is a definite part of our future. I wish he had a clone.

Missy
27th August 2007, 12:15 AM
2nd fastest over 3kms I think it was.

ScottH
27th August 2007, 07:48 AM
2nd fastest over 3kms I think it was.Dring the 1st qtr(?) he chased down a Pie player, and I thought at the time that the pie player was slow or Barlow is very quick.

(Didn't catch him unfortunately, as he got rid of the ball before he got there)

Donners
27th August 2007, 09:08 AM
crap game, crap umpiring, crap coverage.

Time to recruit a tall backman and a midfielder who can at least hit a target.

Ah, now that's exactly what I said around this time last year. Instead we go out and spend two draft picks and a large chunk of the salary cap to shore up a position we already had pretty well covered, with a player who spends half the game on the bench and will be gone in two years. Great move...

ugg
27th August 2007, 11:07 AM
Ah, now that's exactly what I said around this time last year. Instead we go out and spend two draft picks and a large chunk of the salary cap to shore up a position we already had pretty well covered, with a player who spends half the game on the bench and will be gone in two years. Great move...
How is it well covered? Doyle has been missing for huge chunks of the season with a knee injury. Unless you're talking about the master ruckman that is Ted Richards? Plus, it was only one draft pick, #33.