PDA

View Full Version : How far can we go?

Cheer Squad
27th August 2007, 02:24 PM
I think our progress in the finals depends on whether Tadhg Kennelly, and to a lesser extent, Leo Barry, return from injury. We have done well this year given the injury factor to key players - our largest defeats have been restricted to 4 goals - but to make a go of things in the finals, Kennelly is absolutely critical to the team structure. If he doesn't play, I think there is a strong chance we will bow out in Week 1 regardless of who we're up against. If he does play, I think we will reach the semi-finals, but go no further.

573v30
27th August 2007, 02:27 PM
The most realistic finish is a defeat in the Semi Finals. Key injuries and form will make it very hard for the team to progress further in the finals series.

stellation
27th August 2007, 02:50 PM
I honestly think we could still win it all. 4 games that are all knock out, we've played a lot of finals in the last few years and will go in with players that have been there/done that versus some teams that rely on a lot of young guys that aren't proven in finals. So there.

Roos sucks, Davo rules.

floppinab
27th August 2007, 02:55 PM
Awwww.............about this |----------------| far :D

TheMase
27th August 2007, 06:08 PM
It will be an interesting finals series. For the first time in a long time we play our first final with the threat of elimination. We have seen the boys lift for big occations in the past, can we see them do that 4 weeks running?

We were able to do that in 2005, however we had the luxury of one home final, something we will not have this time around.

I have little doubt we 'can' win it, but I don't think we will. I would love to see us push for a Preliminary Final spot. If we were able to do that I would be somewhat satisfied with this year given we have been horrible for most of it (and given we've played well below our potential).

We definitely need our key players to be fit though, which at this stage looks unlikely.

Zlatorog
27th August 2007, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't be bothered....:rolleyes:

NMWBloods
27th August 2007, 06:34 PM
We've only really 'lifted' for one finals match each year, except 2005 when we managed three.

For us to win 4 in a row seems an amazing long shot.

Layby
27th August 2007, 06:35 PM
I am more than happy to go all the way

dendol
27th August 2007, 06:41 PM
A few games this year have had a finals-like feel to it, yet we've come up short each time. It would take some highly unlikely form reversal for us to suddenly win 4 in a row.

Sanecow
27th August 2007, 06:45 PM
A few games this year have had a finals-like feel to it, yet we've come up short each time. It would take some highly unlikely form reversal for us to suddenly win 4 in a row.

It would be our longest winning streak of the year!

NMWBloods
27th August 2007, 06:53 PM
It also seems unlikely we can win consecutive games against good opposition. A number of top teams seem to have an edge over us.

Adelaide - lost last 4 and 8 of last 9

Collingwood - lost last 3

West Coast - lost last 3

And we don't have a particularly dominant record against StKilda, Port, Kangaroos or Geelong.

This year we will make finals by beating everyone outside the eight.
Against teams inside the 8 = 2-7
Against teams outside the 8 = 9-2-1

We're becoming flat-track bullies, downhill skiiers, etc.

desredandwhite
27th August 2007, 09:06 PM
Knocked out in the first week would be about par. So I guess in a sense the pressure's off ;)

I think we are a chance of jagging a lucky win in week one, but I would be astounded if we make it to week 3.

alison.z
27th August 2007, 09:25 PM
I honestly think we could still win it all. 4 games that are all knock out, we've played a lot of finals in the last few years and will go in with players that have been there/done that versus some teams that rely on a lot of young guys that aren't proven in finals. So there.

Roos sucks, Davo rules.

i agree wholeheartedly!!

BeeEmmAre
27th August 2007, 09:28 PM
It aint over till its over.
We are still the only team capable of winning it from outside the top four.
Bloody tough, but bloody possible.

Layby
27th August 2007, 09:36 PM
I reckon the Swans will win