PDA

View Full Version : The big Sydney Improver for 2003?

Reggi
9th February 2003, 09:37 PM
Just querying out of this list (or anyone else) who people think will be the young player to take a big step.

Bolton
Fosdike
Saddington
Keneally
Davis
Goodes
Fixter
Doyle
O'Keefe
Stevens
Ablett
Lewis Roberts - Thomson

My tip is Keneally as he has a work ethic, just interested to see who people nominate before they have seen them play this year.

desredandwhite
9th February 2003, 09:44 PM
I think Kennelly might hit a wall at some point - his improvement has been phenomenal, but in everything, the last 10% takes the longest.

My bet is Saddington - will really stand up to control the backline this year.

chammond
9th February 2003, 09:49 PM
Just querying out of this list (or anyone else) who people think will be the young player to take a big step.

Out of your list, I'd have to say Sundqvist is the standout.

jude_boltons_babe
9th February 2003, 10:34 PM
id have to say adam goodes or tadgh kennelly

liz
9th February 2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Reggi

Bolton
Fosdike
Saddington
Keneally
Davis
Goodes
Fixter
Doyle
O'Keefe
Stevens
Ablett
Lewis Roberts - Thomson

My tip is Keneally as he has a work ethic, just interested to see who people nominate before they have seen them play this year.

Of that list:

Fosdike - I reckon he kind of took the next step last year. If he plays most of 2003 like he played the second half of last year he will be a very very good player and almost certainly top 3 B&F.

Goodes and Saddo - expect to see more of the steady improvement that we've seen since they debuted. I'd like both to be in the much-vaunted "leadership" group because I reckon all that is stopping them becoming top-line AFL players is the realisation that they are core, senior players rather than promising up and comers.

Kennelly and Fixter - wouldn't be too disappointed if this year was a consolidation year for both these two. They came on in leaps and bounds last year and, as Des has commented iro Kennelly, they cannot keep improving at the same rate. I reckon both will become better players than they have yet shown but there's no major rush.

Stevens and Ablett I have reservations about. Would love to be proved wrong but...

LRT- suspect he's a way off yet from being an important player for the Swans but would love him to get a chance or two this year. Met him briefly at the B&F dinner last year and he really is a charming lad.

The two I'll really be looking for to impose themselves are O'Keefe and Doyle. O'Keefe's 2002 was so interrupted by a variety of factors but he looked great towards the end. His fitness has increased significantly since he joined the Swans and I don't doubt his determination. His skills look to be solid at worst, and silky at best. I have a feeling he could become the next Cresswell (but with better skills) - long serving, dependable, consistent and verstaile without maybe ever getting the accolades of more flashy players.

Doyle looks to have grown into his body now and showed signs last year that he believed he was an AFL player. Expecting - and hoping for big things from him.

CureTheSane
10th February 2003, 09:43 AM
Bolton - ???? who knows
Fosdike - will make his mark as a required player week in week out
Saddington - may shine
Kenelly - will be the big improver from that list. Compared to last year he will take a big leap
Davis - wil do OK, the pressure on him will take his toll, expect more in 2004
Goodes - will take a step back ( to where he has been before in some good form)
Fixter - will continue to gradually improve
Doyle - will have an injury free year and become our staple ruckman
O'Keefe - ???
Stevens - will find his place in the team, and will do bettter with Roos' style of more direct play
Ablett - ???
Lewis Roberts - Thomson - ???

skilts stilts
10th February 2003, 10:52 AM
Bucchanan. 30-50 goals from the forward pocket.

Rod_
10th February 2003, 12:58 PM
O'Keeffee with 25 goals in the other pocket!

BBBH to kick 80 +

Mark
10th February 2003, 03:02 PM
Doyle, without doubt.

Interests me that he is hardly mentioned in media. Kennely seems to be getting all the press and rightly so on his form towards the end of last year. IMO He cannot continue on the same curve, will get better but not at same rate.

Doyle is reasonably unknown outside swans and i think will suprise many pundits with a hopefully injury free year (first ever preseason from memory ?)

bomber-princess
10th February 2003, 03:06 PM
i'd say tadgh will have a great 2003 and i'd have to agree that Jarrad Sundqvist will develop into a top player this year and will make his mark.
having said this i'd say most of the players on your list, minus the ones that people haven't seen that much of yet, will have a great season in 2003 and the others will develop into great players, if they can remain injury free.

Diego
10th February 2003, 03:16 PM
I'm itching to see Doyle play a full season this year. What I have seen so far i really like..

robbieando
10th February 2003, 03:38 PM
If Des ever gets around to adding my latest article to the main page you'll see my views on who should improve. Come on Des you have had it for a month - time to let it loose

Benevolent Ert
12th February 2003, 05:20 PM
pre-match 'entertainment'

TheHood
12th February 2003, 05:50 PM
I expect improvement in most of those listed.

I would say that Goodes WILL go forward unlike some pundits.

I am not sure why we all thin Saddo will be such a big improver based on last year's flat form. His 2001 was very good but last year he took the odd hammering. I think we are speculating that Saddo will just "step up" with no Dunks. Maybe.

Why will O'Keefe be so good this year? Is he being labelled the next Paul Hudson medium sized forward. He's not very big and he is too big to be a crumber.

I do like Doyle - he will rip teams apart if he has an injury free year.

Dpw
12th February 2003, 06:21 PM
My big improver is the the injury list if we can consistantly have that with only a couple of niggles on it each week, we could see some dramatic improvement in the whole side however as if it is as I fear who knows.

Grant
12th February 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
My big improver is the the injury list if we can consistantly have that with only a couple of niggles on it each week, we could see some dramatic improvement in the whole side however as if it is as I fear who knows.

Absolutely,how refreshing would be that be?
That is no doubt our biggest area for improvement,no hamstrings that go for 10 weeks,groins for a season,niggles for 3-4,etc etc.
I know every club is going to have some sort of injuries,but surely some luck has got to fall our way,we have had our fair share over recent seasons.

Cheer Cheer
13th February 2003, 10:06 AM
Exactly

floppinab
13th February 2003, 02:31 PM
This area is actually somewhere I hope Andrew Ireland has an impact along with the day to day running of the team.

I notice that the AFL is trying to force teams to stay in a certain set of hotels in Melbourne and, surprise surprise Brisbane are reported as the only team who are resisting in order to maintain practise that has clearly worked well for them.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,5976221%255E20322,00.html

All these things add up to comfort while travelling as well as aid in recovery following matches.

Ajn
13th February 2003, 08:47 PM
O'Keefe and Fosdike have the ability to become stars, hope this is the year

gloveski
14th February 2003, 03:27 PM
Our medical staff are the ones that need to be the big improvers.

Our players seem to take longer to recover from seemingly short term injuries than other teams.

As fo rthe players listed

O'keefe

Just get the feeling this guy could be something special.To come back so strong after the dramas he endured last year shows something about the guys mental toughness and will to succeed.

Ajn
14th February 2003, 07:08 PM
A 7 year curse of injuries since 97, what's the deal with these injuries?

Nico
14th February 2003, 09:30 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if they all improved 10%, then we would be a "Gun" side.

All those listed are quite capable of 10% improvement.

Add substantial improvement by some established players who were a bit flat last year and a reasonable injury free run and who knows what might happen.

Don' worry about pre-season form. The fireworks start from round 1.

For those who like roughies, I've had 5 bucks on Fixter for the Brownlow at 1000/1.

penga
17th February 2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Ert
pre-match 'entertainment'

from yesterdays form at half time at least, it looks like this could be worse, the half time stuff was stupid! except for plugger's call that he had had a few pies for his fitness training

Cheer Cheer
17th February 2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Nico

For those who like roughies, I've had 5 bucks on Fixter for the Brownlow at 1000/1.

I think that money would have been better well spent on a souvlaki, it will return more

Rizzo
18th February 2003, 11:40 AM
The smart money would have to be on Goodes at the mo.

robbieando
18th February 2003, 12:16 PM
Hall for the Coleman is a good bet I think

Cheer Cheer
18th February 2003, 02:13 PM
mmm yes, goodes look to be the standout at this early stage