PDA

View Full Version : Payback

dawson
2nd September 2007, 05:30 PM
After eight years, payback is sweet for that 85-point shellacking we received from the Hawks in the last game at Waverley. :D

DeadlyAkkuret
2nd September 2007, 05:33 PM
Wtf, i thought this was going to be about Collingwood:mad:

dawson
2nd September 2007, 05:39 PM
Wtf, i thought this was going to be about Collingwood:mad:

Don't worry - theirs is coming in a week.

But for those of us who unfortunately remember it - that last game at Waverley left a lot of scars.

satchmopugdog
2nd September 2007, 05:50 PM
I'm still getting over the 80's and early 90's when I would be up at the Falmouth community centre the only Swans supporter in the Fingal Valley(the other one died) every Sunday and we would be thrashed by the Hawks (and the rest). The Hawks supporters were unmerciless. Gotta love payback.

NMWBloods
2nd September 2007, 05:51 PM
I thought it was going to be a stupid karma thread!! :rolleyes:

dawson
2nd September 2007, 05:59 PM
I thought it was going to be a stupid karma thread!! :rolleyes:

Nope - just for you I didnt dare mention the k word. :p

goswannie14
2nd September 2007, 06:00 PM
Nope - just for you I didnt dare mention the k word. :p
The thread is still just as stupid.

dawson
2nd September 2007, 06:15 PM
The thread is still just as stupid.

You wouldnt be saying that had you been following the Swans at that time and experienced what we went through.

Swannette
2nd September 2007, 06:23 PM
Yea, I was at the game, could even have been my first time travelling to Melbourne and we were belted from start to finish with our top 4 hopes on the line. Apart from the painful loss, the strongest memory of my one and only trip to Waverley is the size of the ground (it's simply humumgous) and the old bench seats circa 1950 - most uncomfy!

NMWBloods
2nd September 2007, 06:24 PM
You wouldnt be saying that had you been following the Swans at that time and experienced what we went through.
How stupid.

ScottH
2nd September 2007, 06:25 PM
You wouldnt be saying that had you been following the Swans at that time and experienced what we went through.Wrong response, he's an old timer (no offence gs14 ;) )

A lot of us were around then.

goswannie14
2nd September 2007, 06:26 PM
You wouldnt be saying that had you been following the Swans at that time and experienced what we went through.I've been supporting the Swans for 38 years, I've sat through worse.

BTW Scott, no offence taken.

Zlatorog
2nd September 2007, 06:32 PM
I don't understand about the payback to Hawthorn. The game in question was played at Waverley Park, which was closing down that year and naturally the Hawks were pumped up. At the same time our players travelled to Waverley after they played WCE at the WACA previous week, obviously not fully recovered from the trip. The Hawks didn't even play in the finals that year.

dawson
2nd September 2007, 07:04 PM
The similarities:
* Both teams who lost quite badly had a lot more to play for then the teams which won.
* The result of which was a severe derailing of both premiership chances. Had we won that day we would have finished 5th instead of 8th.

Thunder Shaker
2nd September 2007, 09:22 PM
After eight years, payback is sweet for that 85-point shellacking we received from the Hawks in the last game at Waverley. :D
I was at that game, and oh boy do I have bad memories of that game. I was with two Hawks mates and they were good about it, but we were sitting about three rows behind the Hawthorn cheer squad. You can imagine how much of an idiot I felt on those seldom occasions when I had a goal to celebrate.

And to make it worse, the person who was giving us a lift home left without us.

All in all, it was not a happy day.

Xie Shan
2nd September 2007, 09:38 PM
I vaguely remember watching the match on TV. It was just when I was starting to become interested in AFL. Useless trivia which for some reason I remembered from the commentary: The last goal kicked in an AFL match for premiership points at Waverley was kicked by Daryn Cresswell.

GoBloods
3rd September 2007, 03:54 AM
yes , for me personally that game would go down as one of my worst experiences ever at the footy.
went to melbourne for the weekend , met up with friends on the saturday night. ended up drinking far too much went to bed at 5am. girlfriend of the time wanted to go st.kilda markets on sunday morning , so up at 10am .then headed off to the footy at waverley ( it was a really hot day ). 72000 fans ,it was impossible to get a water or soft drink at the ground and the toilets were a shambles.. i had seats amongst a sea of hawks fan , the one i sat next to had the worlds most hideous laugh and a big hand clapper. i think the hawks had kicked about 8 goals by quarter time and this bloke next to me was going nuts with his clapper . i was hung over ,sleep deprived and dehydrated and the mighty swans were getting pumped . very sad indeed.