PDA

View Full Version : Durable Crouch Ready to step up

Grant
10th February 2003, 06:06 PM
Article on Crouch here (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=72881)

Jared Crouch is on the verge of breaking a record. With one more home-and-away match Crouch will surpass Daryn Cresswell?s 108-game run of consecutive matches for Sydney.

The 24-year-old could also be on the brink of something even more special with his named mentioned as a potential successor to Paul Kelly as club captain.

The Swans? new skipper will be appointed prior to the February 16 clash against Essendon at North Sydney Oval, and Crouch is ?honoured to be mentioned? alongside the other contenders - Stuart Maxfield, Matthew Nicks, Michael O?Loughlin and Jason Saddington.

?The good thing about this season is we don?t have a stand-out like Paul Kelly, so it?s going to be the responsibility of four or five players to lead the team, or maybe the 22, who will take the field each week,? Crouch told sydneyswans.com.au.

The former Norwood player maintains the captaincy would not hamper his performance on the field.

?It may burden some players but I certainly wouldn?t. It would be an honour and something that would make you strive to play better. You are leading your mates into battle.?

In the sydneyswans.com.au poll, Crouch is currently third most favoured option to lead the side in 2003 behind favourite Maxfield and Paul Williams.

It would be icing on the cake ahead of an exciting new football season starting with the Wizard Cup against Brisbane on 22nd February at Telstra Stadium.

Crouch places a reasonably high importance on the pre-season competition to give the team momentum going into the home-and-away season.

?We finished off last season [strongly] so if we can get a lot of those players fit, playing well and in good form when we do hit the season, we will be in good shape,? Crouch said.

Like senior coach Paul Roos, the 1998 AFL Rising Star nominee does not put much importance however, on wins prior to the start of the premiership season.

?It?s about finding form and if you are trying to find form well then more than likely you will win. The idea is to find form and try some new players and give some younger guys a go.?

Since his debut in 1998, Crouch has not missed a game and if he plays against Carlton at Telstra Stadium to start the home-and-away season he will break Cresswell?s record.

?It is not something you strive for. You just strive to play footy. Daryn has been in my ear about it all the time saying he is going to break my leg before round one,? Crouch joked.

?If it happens, it happens. If it doesn?t, it doesn?t. But it does not weigh on my mind.?

Crouch says there is no secret to his durability. He puts it all down to luck.

?The injuries I have had are ones I can play with, and the bad ones I have received have been at the end of the year when there has been no game.?

There is plenty for Crouch to feel lucky about and perhaps more on the horizon.

I really hope he goes on and beats Jim Stynes ecord of consecutive games,and half of them maybe as a skipper;)

Rod_
10th February 2003, 09:39 PM
I like the idea - Crouchy plays the game on his sleave. 110 % performance that could develop???

An interesting thought!

Rod_

Ajn
13th February 2003, 08:27 PM
Next for Stynes' record, it shouldn't be a problem for him....