PDA

View Full Version : Full back in 2008

Chilcott
16th January 2008, 01:56 PM
Hope this work - first time post.

Leo Barry has been a sensational player for quite a few years, but struggled at times last years(like several other players).

Do we have anyone ready to step up into that position if Leaping Leo struggles again.

Players such as LRT and Craig Bolton are better off in other positions (IMO), but I can't think of anyone else who could do the job.

Any thoughts

AnnieH
16th January 2008, 02:15 PM
Craig Bolton did an admirable job for a lot of last year.

TheGrimReaper
16th January 2008, 02:24 PM
In my opinion, it should be Teddy Richards at Full Back and Craig Bolton at Centre Half Back. Richards should be given more responsibility for a man. That way, it would leave LRT with the 3rd best forward in the opposing team and free up Leo Barry onto the Half Back Flank.

BeeEmmAre
16th January 2008, 04:04 PM
I like the sound of that Footylover1.

Bear
16th January 2008, 04:21 PM
Sorry, pointless thread.

No set FB. The game is not played that way any more.

We have a range of options according to opponents.

BTW, LB was leading our B&F before his hammy in the second half of the season, so as always news of his demise is greatly exaggerated.

Robbo
16th January 2008, 04:23 PM
In my opinion, it should be Teddy Richards at Full Back and Craig Bolton at Centre Half Back. Richards should be given more responsibility for a man. That way, it would leave LRT with the 3rd best forward in the opposing team and free up Leo Barry onto the Half Back Flank.

Agreed.

Leo is finished as a KPP and I've always thought Teddy Richards has been underrated as a man on man defender.

Claret
16th January 2008, 04:33 PM
As, I think, Bear is alluding to it's all about match-ups nowadays.

The question is who do we think should line up against the opposition's gorilla?

goswannie14
16th January 2008, 04:35 PM
Sorry, pointless thread.Aren't most of them?;)

cruiser
16th January 2008, 05:59 PM
In my opinion, it should be Teddy Richards at Full Back and Craig Bolton at Centre Half Back. Richards should be given more responsibility for a man. That way, it would leave LRT with the 3rd best forward in the opposing team and free up Leo Barry onto the Half Back Flank. Yep, sounds OK although I hope Teddy's spent the summer bulking up.

573v30
16th January 2008, 06:05 PM
Time to step up, Super Ted.

16th January 2008, 06:39 PM
Is Teddy is the man.
Cant see him standing :
1 Gehrig
2.Mooney
3.Q.Lynch
4.Neitz
5.N.Thompson
6.Richo
7.Lloyd
8.Fev
And that man J.Brown
These guys are all to strong for Teddy.
Whats wrong with Craig Bolton, great records on most of these blokes.

Triple B
16th January 2008, 06:46 PM
Just shows what dire straits we are in.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ted, but if we are relying on him to do the job at fullback, we have serious concerns.

snappy
16th January 2008, 06:56 PM

Cant see him doing it, no way. Better on the wing going fwd, if he was a better goal kicker we would have a real super Ted.

C. Bolton is the only safe option there is.
L.R.T, CHB
Leo as extra man in defence, similar role to Lepitch later days.

goswannie14
16th January 2008, 07:26 PM
Is Teddy is the man.
Cant see him standing :
1 Gehrig
2.Mooney
3.Q.Lynch
4.Neitz
5.N.Thompson
6.Richo
7.Lloyd
8.Fev
And that man J.Brown
These guys are all to strong for Teddy.
Whats wrong with Craig Bolton, great records on most of these blokes.When LRT was in form he was towelling up some of those guys. One J Brown in particular. He seems to be able to go body to body with them. I wonder how he will cope with the HITB interpretation now though?

Bear
16th January 2008, 11:47 PM
Aren't most of them?;)

Quote of the year :)

bodgie
17th January 2008, 02:12 AM
Barry Hall and Leo Barry should just camp out at opposite ends of the ground and take on all comers. Actually we've got a @@@@load of descent forwards so I reckon Hall should go into defense where he could be truly scary. He spent most of last year getting in everyones way.

giant
17th January 2008, 02:23 AM
Time to step up, Super Ted.

Tad ironic since he came here to get more time up forward. Still I don't disagree.

ScottH
17th January 2008, 06:15 AM
...snip... so I reckon Hall should go into defense where he could be truly scary. That's been tried before @ St Kilda and he was not very good at it.

RogueSwan
17th January 2008, 08:51 AM
Okay. I haven't really thought this through (but since when does that matter) but seeing as Roos is a fan of basketball what about a Zone defence instead of man-on-man?. Our defenders have a good closing speed on most opposition, mainly due to not being gorillas. I s'pose it would take a lot more training for that to work. It obviously wouldn't work all the time, especially against highly skilled teams. Any way just a thought.

satchmopugdog
17th January 2008, 10:33 AM
All teams do a variation on the zone defence in that they have players drop back into a space . Zoning being the covering of a space rather than a person. Bevan's job was/is to block the space in front of leading forwards i.e. sacrificial lamb and he also does a lot of work blocking the centre defensive area.

So basically we have a combination of the 2 defences.

All teams would be asking the same questions as regards the power forwards. Leo was a fantastic option even though shorter and lighter he was quick and boy could he jump.
Watched a 2004 game the other night and it was easy to see that father time has caught up a bit(she shakes her fist at the old Bastard).. As with other teams it is a case of who can we use who will win some one-on-one contests as there will be no-one who will win them all.

I'm thinking Peter Faulks.

Damn I was nearly serious all the way through.

Plugger46
17th January 2008, 12:22 PM
Barry Hall and Leo Barry should just camp out at opposite ends of the ground and take on all comers. Actually we've got a @@@@load of descent forwards so I reckon Hall should go into defense where he could be truly scary. He spent most of last year getting in everyones way.

As ScottH said - been tried there and failed. And you don't send a player who has topped our goalkicking 6 years running to the backline!