PDA

View Full Version : Swans & QBE to joint sponsor the Sydney Swifts

Damien
25th February 2008, 08:34 PM
Swans and QBE to joint sponsor Sydney Swifts (http://sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=55619)

Certainly something a bit different to the normal sponsorship arrangements!

Matt79
25th February 2008, 08:45 PM
Perhaps we can look at swapping players for games too.

Matthews and Jude would look good in a netball skirt!! :p

goswannie14
25th February 2008, 08:49 PM
Perhaps we can look at swapping players for games too.

Matthews and Jude would look good in a netball skirt!! :pWhat about Hally in a skirt!!!!!:eek:

is2SWaNz
25th February 2008, 08:52 PM
What about Hally in a skirt!!!!!:eek:

No thanks, I think the tight shorts are enough.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind ROK in a skirt. ;)

TheGrimReaper
25th February 2008, 09:30 PM
Disturbing thoughts. :eek:

Old Royboy
25th February 2008, 09:36 PM
I'm thinking about the father son / mother daughter draft picks which may result!!!

But seriously a great initiative. Go to any little town in the Riverina, the footy and netball teams are one club. Each support the other; makes a whole lot of sense.

rwgirl
25th February 2008, 10:57 PM
Finally both my passions in one club!!

desredandwhite
25th February 2008, 11:06 PM
Fine by me :)

We have been members of both the Swans and Swifts for years now, so this works out fine for us!

Though this means GSW will have to wear red :D :D

JF_Bay22_SCG
26th February 2008, 02:23 AM
Swans and QBE to joint sponsor Sydney Swifts (http://sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=55619)

Certainly something a bit different to the normal sponsorship arrangements!

Apparently the Eagles do the same in WA with their team so as to lift their profile & supporter base amongst female supporters.

Still it is pro-active thinking from the Swans. We are the experts in tapping into untapped markets in search of an increasing supporter base-white collar women are definitely neither likely not feel accepted at other codes.

I'd assume there are a lot of younger girls at the netball. Good to get them introduced to the Swans & AFL footy early.

A win-win situation for all parties, it seems.

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
26th February 2008, 02:27 AM
Fine by me :)

We have been members of both the Swans and Swifts for years now, so this works out fine for us!

What is netball like to watch live? The image I have is of a stadium filled with 5000 squealing schoolgirls. Would that be on the mark?

I enjoy the netball at the Commonwealth Games though.

JF

desredandwhite
26th February 2008, 06:21 AM
What is netball like to watch live? The image I have is of a stadium filled with 5000 squealing schoolgirls. Would that be on the mark?

That's pretty much it. Can get rather painful at times if you happen to sit near any particularly loud squealers :) I think this is a good idea - as ORB mentions earlier in the thread, traditionally the footy and netball clubs have been one large organisation. Why not share resources and fan bases? From next year, schedule double-headers (ACER Arena netball followed by ANZ Stadium Footy) and I daresay you will get a decent crossover audience.

As for the game itself, IMO it is actually structurally very similar to AFL. It's like watching a good running side playing, the way the ball is moved on.

Not to mention just as violent at times!!

goswannie14
26th February 2008, 07:41 AM
But seriously a great initiative. Go to any little town in the Riverina, the footy and netball teams are one club. Each support the other; makes a whole lot of sense.
Noit just the Riverina and small towns, it happens right across Victoria, and some of the clubs are from large towns like Shepparton, Wodonga, Mildura. It is a great part of the sporting fabric of the rural areas. They are usually known as a football/netball club, not just one or the other.

j s
26th February 2008, 10:14 AM
From next year, schedule double-headers (ACER Arena netball followed by ANZ Stadium Footy) and I daresay you will get a decent crossover audience.
The size of the footy crowds (with the consequent travel and parking issues) would likely deter the Netball fans from attending so I don't see it happening, except maybe as a one-off

alison.z
26th February 2008, 03:48 PM
the problem for netball is that because the larger number that play are kids, it is not a spectator sport for them but so much better to play.

i'm a netballer and love the swans so it would probably be an incentive to have double headers but i'd much rather be on the court myself - it's not that great to watch

Old Royboy
26th February 2008, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure if the Swifts have any membership structure, but one thing which could be explored is throwing in a Telstra Stadium 3 game pass at nominal cost with a Swifts season ticket. Reverse could also apply (up to a limited number) with Swan's memberships. With any sport, it is all about geting newbies to the game. If the product is good, those newbies will be back the next year as full paying fans.

j s
26th February 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure if the Swifts have any membership structure, but one thing which could be explored is throwing in a Telstra Stadium 3 game pass at nominal cost with a Swifts season ticket. Reverse could also apply (up to a limited number) with Swan's memberships. With any sport, it is all about geting newbies to the game. If the product is good, those newbies will be back the next year as full paying fans.
An excellent suggestion. I'm pretty sure they have season tickets. Give them a pass for the unreserved members quadrant at StadeOz. There's probably only a few hundred of them.

Big Al
26th February 2008, 08:19 PM
What about Hally in a skirt!!!!!:eek:

Thanks GS:eek: I now have that image in my head and I can't get rid of it.

Could be worse, imagine my Avatar buddy in a skirt.:D

Industrial Fan
26th February 2008, 09:39 PM
Win win I rekon.

I had to become a swifts member to get the missus to join the swans....I came to quite like the game, but then they moved their home games to Wollongong...!?! So now we are just swans members.

Would be good to fit both sports into one day.