PDA

View Full Version : Young Guns

Cheese
27th February 2008, 01:59 PM
Just started a Matthew Laidlaw thread but didnt really go along the lines of what i wanted.

So I want to try something else. Name the young guns who you think will play this year, and how many games you expect/want them to play and what position.

Barlow: Bit of a dilemma here, where do we play this gifted youngster. I think settling him into a position is a must this year. His tall enough to be KPP, but probably not strong enough, and doesnt really suit him. I like the idea of him of the back flank, or on a wing. 10-15 games.

Bird: Obviosuly will play, just how he adapts, IMO he will rotate between on -ball and foward pocket, had a good goal sense and his lack of heigh and speed will not be exposed in the foward line as much as the back line. 10-15 games

Brabazon: Has'nt really set the world on fire but has been consistent, I would expect him to debut playing on a HFF or HBF, Needs to play this year or is a good chance to get delisted. 1-5 Games

Currie: Young kid who is still just learning the game, first real season up in Sydney, has shown good progress but will take alot more time. With Everitt possibly out its a toss up between him and White and at present i would have White ahead. Want him to add a more attacking feature to his game, where he can be dangerous up foward while resting from the ruck. 1-5 games

Faulks: Has had question marks over his attitude but has shown this season that he has great closing speed and is a brilliant spoiler. Very impressed with him this season, with talk in the off-season that he was not going to come back. Seems to have turned the corner hopefully. Still is a reasonably far away from a game with a very settled back line. 1-4 games at best.

Jack: Can really see him taking off this year, in a midfield/tagging role. Does need to improve on skills but he is determined and has the potential to be a regular by seasons end. 10-15 games.

Laidlaw: Needs to really take off this year, has the skills and the speed and the height to become a regular in the team. Make or break year this year, hopefully he takes off on either a HBF, Wing or HFF. This guy does look like a rangy foward, winger to me. Hopefully in the long run he can become our version of Embley(Utility)

Meredith: First year, hard nugget, hope he can impose himself on the Canberra League. Most suited to a Back-Pocket if he is going to ply. 1-3 games, no dissapointment if he doesnt play.

Moore: Definatly needs to make an impression this year, hopefully can edge out some of the younger draftee's and take a rotation spot through the midfield. Genuine footballer who knows where the goals are. Can rotate through the midfield/bench/foward pocket. hoping he takes off. 8-15 games.

O'Keefe: Number one pick in the super draft. Needs to take up his intensity and impose himself in the Canberra league midfield first off. Then can see him being given a taste on a HFF or FP. hopefully he gets given a look in, if form permits. 1-5 games.

Schmidt: Must really take the responsibility this year to make sure he is a genuine starting 22 player by the end of this year. Can rotate through the midfield and foward line. Is a ball magnet and must be given the chance and time to cement himself and impose himself. Roos must play him regardless of form for the first 6 round and give him game-time in the midfield. 15-22 games.

Thornton: Knee.

Veszpremi: From all reports he is ready made, and has some real grunt about him. Hopefully he can really work his way into the midfield in the Canberra League and perform there. 1-5 games at best. Although I can see him getting a roll on and playing a few more.

White: Really exicted about this bloke. has the potential to play anywhere & be anything, although could also be nothing. Hopefully he can get a taste this year and with Everitt getting older and older and injured early on, it looks like he will get a taste very early on. Would like to see him experimented with this year throughout ruck, CHB, FB, CHF & FF, is that too much to ask? can really see him making it as a FF being so big, so quick and reasonably gifted. Hopefully is able to play 1-5 games this year, with development and learning his main priority.

Can you please try keep this thread on target, with your expectations for our young stars, and how much you want them to play, where they should play & who spot they will take from our starting 22 from last year.

TheGrimReaper
27th February 2008, 02:10 PM
I like your report on our young guns but I expect Danny O'Keefe to play more than 5 games this season, this bloke is a gun.

Also, I'm very keen on Patrick Veszpremi and Jesse White.

Another thing, don't give up on Jarrad Moore, I still have faith in the young man. ;)

thesting
27th February 2008, 04:43 PM
Nicely done Cheese. I would like to think that the young-uns will get the games you suggest, but have the feeling that only a handfull will get a go thins year. I think that Barlow will slot in on a more regular basis, but of the guys yet ot play a senior match, I think Bird and O'Keefe are most likely to get a run. I would really love to see White get a go too, I have been on his bandwagon since early last year.

Cheese
27th February 2008, 04:43 PM
its not that i dont rate Daniel O'Keefe, he has class and skills, however he is down the pecking order for me.

Has'nt really shown alot in the pre-season games so far for mine.

I haven't given up on Pugsly Moore at all, just saying he seems to have been tredding water last year and i expect him to really take off this year, however, he needs to be given a chance to show what he is capable of.

For mine the midfield spots need to go to:
1.Schmidt
2.Bird
3.Moore

In that order, reward Schmidt for being the most consistent GUN reserves player we have had over the last few years, reward Bird pre-season form(of course based on the first two games) & reward Moore for his past few years, also because i see him being of AFL quality. Thoughts?

FootyontheBrain
27th February 2008, 05:05 PM
Barlow: with a screen name like cheese you'd have to start here. I think 5-10. I would have expected him to impress more in the NAB games and he's been mid-pack(of the youngsters) at best. 5-10, make or break year me thinks.

Bird: yep, what you said. 10-15 games

Brabazon: Be lucky to get a sniff.

Currie: See Brabazon

Faulks: See Currie

Jack: Once again, what you said. 10-15 games.

Laidlaw: We need more pace and I'd love to see this kid get more PT. 5-10 games.

Meredith: Canberra here I come...

Moore: Maybe with Hobbitt Schneider gone this opens up a game or two

O'Keefe: Get a hair cut!! I hate my football players looking like a poof from a bad '80s music video. 1-5 games.

Schmidt: I think pace will be his undoing. Just watching these NAB matches the speed of the game seems like it's stepped up a notch. 5-10 games.

Thornton: Knee.

Veszpremi: See Meredith, although I'd love to see this kid get a run this season.

White: Really exicted about this bloke. has the potential to play anywhere & be anything, although could also be nothing. Hopefully he can get a taste this year and with Everitt getting older and older and injured early on, it looks like he will get a taste very early on. Would like to see him experimented with this year throughout ruck, CHB, FB, CHF & FF, is that too much to ask? can really see him making it as a FF being so big, so quick and reasonably gifted. Hopefully is able to play 1-5 games this year, with development and learning his main priority. Couldn't agree more

smasher
27th February 2008, 05:06 PM
I agree that we have to make changes to our team and/or game plan this season.
I am not getting carried away with our first year players in what was supposedly "a weak draft".Time will reveal who can play well and sustain good form.

Legs Akimbo
27th February 2008, 06:16 PM
Hey Cheese. Good post. Here's a challenge for you. For each 'young gun' where you have nominated a certain number of games, identify the corresponding senior 2007 player where they will play proportionately fewer games.

Old Royboy
27th February 2008, 06:39 PM
As always, form and injury toll will influence the chances the kids get. With Roos' history, one would expect the team to start largely as it ended last year. (that includes Barlow) But he has already flagged White and Bird as good chances to start in the ones. I would think Keiren Jack is the only other one with a chance to start off in the ones.

So:

Those with some 1st team games already:

Barlow: Up to him, started in Lonnie looking like he had a swelled head. Better last week, needs to continue to improve in the next two. If he shapes up will start the season and be a regular, but I have the feeling he will hit the wall, have a few bad games and get dropped at some stage. 10-15 games.
Grundy: How did you forget Reg? Probably the first back-up if one of the forwards goes down. Encouraging start to the year. 10 games.
Jack: If not a rookie, would have played more than two games last year. Much will depend on what role he gets once given a chance, but his work ethic, clean hands, natural speed/agility and footy nous are all in his favour. Will be a regular by years end. 10-15 games.
Laidlaw: Very unlucky to only get one game last year. Because he has not played yet, will not start in the ones but once match fit and firing will be nearly first in line. He is behind Cheese ATM, 5-10 games.
Moore: Chances have been effected by Bird spreading his wings. Will get his chance once we get a few injuries, but must make the most of them or will face the axe at years end. 5-10 games.
Schmidt: Already a regular 1st teamer. Does not belong on this list.

Yet to play in 1sts.

Bird: Effectively a second year player. Already flagged by Roos as a certainty to play. Once in he will become a regular, simply because he is already better than half the blokes who are regulars. 20 games. (I have to pump his tyres, I have 40 bucks at 125/1 on him for the Rising Star!!)
Brabazon: Only good late season form saved him from the spear last year. Starting behind most others and under the pump. Will have to inprove his decision making under pressure to be considered at all. 0-5 games.
Currie: Project, magoos permanent.
Faulks: ditto
Meredith: ditto
O'Keefe: Efectively a first year player because of injury last year. Not ready, but expect him to start dominating in the twos later on this year.
Thornton: Rehab. Hope he got a two year contract!!
Veszpremi: First year - will need to do something special and there to be a big injury toll.
White: Certain to get a run - Roos has already flagged that if Spida does not comer up Mocca will be in the team. This shows confidence in the kid, in other years we have resorted to Teddy Richards rucking when ruck stocks were low. His ability to play both back and forward will not hurt either. Once in, it's up to him. 10 games.

When I added these games up I came up with 92. (I did not count Schmidt)As Cheese was in the team at the end of last year make that 70. A bit over 3 faces per game - optimistic? Like I said, depends on form and injury.

27th February 2008, 08:01 PM
Great thread Cheese!!

Barlow : Keep his spot 10-15 games
Bird : 5 to 10 games , Dont expect to much to quick.
Brabazon : 1-5 games , Somewhere on the backline & Bench
Currie : Magoos
Faulks : Possibily 1-5 games depending on his form & injuries in the Back Half
Jack : Will see a fair bit if his form warrants it : 10 & upwards.
Laidlaw : 1-10 games , especially the bigger grounds when we need run : Gabba,AAMI,ANZ Subi,The G
Meridith : Magoos
Moore : Not a fan , though want him to prove me wrong Fwd / Line 1-6 games
D OKeefe: Missed last year with injury and what Ive seen so far has been dissapointing so effectively this is his 1st year. Magoos for me
Schmidt : Regular now
Thornton : In the Stands
Vespremi : Out of him and Bird who will play more. THIS KID IS GOLD,BELIEVE ME .Roosy doesnt play 1st year players though if Patrick is right this kid is the real deal. Possibly up to 6 games for me.
White : Really taken by this guy with his love of the game.A definite chance with Spidas injurys and being a tall.If his forms OK will have a role and really looking forward to what he can provide us : 1-6 games
ODwyer : If promoted and his form is OK will be around the mark though I still think he might a little far away still . Magoos
Look in a nutshell ,Ive said it before Roosy will go with much the same as last year with some changes along here and there. I though really hope he play some of our young guns and when he does give them ground time and dont let them sit on the pine all day.

smasher
28th February 2008, 06:13 AM
Vesperini has become the forgotton player with all these accalades going to Bird.I have a feeling that the latter may be a great player for the club.He was a high draft pick and people around the TAC Clubs have huge raps on him.They did on Moore too but he's just languished around the place.

Cheese
28th February 2008, 12:08 PM
V-Train has been somewhat forgotten, although he hasn't played so not too hard.

From all reports he just goes absolutely hell for leather, kicked 8 in a half in TAC cup and can go with the best of them.

I really want to see him play and find out whether he was just a man pushing around boys or a genuine talent. By going 110% every contest he seems to hide his lack of pace a little bit.

sprite
28th February 2008, 12:32 PM
Hey Cheese. Good post. Here's a challenge for you. For each 'young gun' where you have nominated a certain number of games, identify the corresponding senior 2007 player where they will play proportionately fewer games.

Why bother the usual - Bolton, McVeigh, Mathews, Bevan and Playfair hate society will chime in with the usual diatribe.

Just my TCW

Cheese
28th February 2008, 01:01 PM
I can see Roos altering his stance this year, with the certainties to get picked being fewer & fewer, this is pre-season so its a bit hard to judge whom i think will play fewer senior games this year but i'll give it a shot.

-Leo Barry, getting old, may be prone to injuries, can see him playing all 22, but possibly being rested or some niggling injuries.

-Paul Bevan, alot more pressure on his spot this year, won't be as easy to scrape over the line into that 22nd spot each week. Can see him really going backwards this year in terms of selection if he doesn't start off well.

-Jude Bolton, will be given first shot as he should. Definately still has something to give and will offer alot more. has been written off this year, but has put in a stellar pre-season and can really see improvement from him this year.

-Luke Brennan, could be in and out most weeks, can see Laidlaw or Barlow taking his spot as the third tall. Depending on match ups we dont really need him and his spot is by no means secure. Leo, C.Bolton, T.Richards & LRT are all ahead of him in the tall defender mould. Can't really find a spot for him.

-Jared Crouch, can see him slowly taken out. Needs to get back to some 05 form but i can't see him doing it with almost a year out of the game. Definatly think it was time last year to retire somewhat on top. think his tried to go just that extra year too long. Great servant of the club.

I will continue after work.

ROK Lobster
28th February 2008, 01:27 PM
I expect big things from Emilio Estevez and Lou Diamond Phillips.

Jewels
28th February 2008, 01:58 PM
I can see Roos altering his stance this year, with the certainties to get picked being fewer & fewer, this is pre-season so its a bit hard to judge whom i think will play fewer senior games this year but i'll give it a shot.

I agree Cheese, I reckon he gave the old guard the benefit of the doubt last year to repay the rewards of 05/06 and to see if they could produce some magic in the finals. The magic didn't happen, so I think (pray) things will be different this year and positions will have to be earned.