PDA

View Full Version : Swans 22 for Rd 1 (Teams named)

FootyontheBrain
28th February 2008, 09:55 AM
Reading some of the posts it seems we all have an idea of what we see as the 22.

B Ted Richards Craig Bolton Leo Barry
HB Tadhg Kennelly Lewis Roberts-Thomson Martin Mattner
C Amon Buchanan Brett Kirk Adam Goodes
HF Nick Davis Barry Hall Ryan O'Keefe
F Jarrad McVeigh Michael K. O'Loughlin Craig Bird
Follower Luke Ablett Darren Jolly Ben Mathews

Interchange Nic Fosdike Jesse White Paul Bevan Jared Crouch

There are definitely going to be some senior players under the pump for playing time, such as:
Mathews
Bevan
Ablett
Fosdike
to a lesser degree:
Barry
Richards
McVeigh

Unlucky to miss would be
Schmidt
Barlow
Laidlaw
Jack
Grundy
JBolt

No matter what, all this young blood pushing for selection is good for our side.

swantastic
28th February 2008, 10:00 AM
Reading some of the posts it seems we all have an idea of what we see as the 22.

There are definitely going to be some senior players under the pump for playing time, such as:
Mathews
Bevan
Ablett
Fosdike
to a lesser degree:
Barry
Richards
McVeigh

Unlucky to miss would be
Schmidt
Barlow
Laidlaw
Jack
Grundy
JBolt

No matter what, all this young blood pushing for selection is good for our side.B2 wont miss out.Bird wont get a run first up and neither will The Unit.Cheese will get a gig insted of Bevan.Fossie's not under the pump IMO,he is a little underrated.Other than that it looks like a good line up.Timmy will get a run insted of The Unit.

FootyontheBrain
28th February 2008, 10:11 AM
Will make it real interesting when Spider's back and what to do with Playfair when he's healthy?

I think Bevan is safe. Roos loves the guy, and his tackling is second to none in the comp.

Would agree on Fossie, but I might put him in the "to a lesser degree" category.

RogueSwan
28th February 2008, 10:23 AM
I don't think Fearless is under the pump either. Bevans tackling is at least second to Kirk's.
As for the starting line up for Round 1, let me think about it. I can't wait to see who is in though. :hmmm

Mike_B
28th February 2008, 11:25 AM

I don't think we will see Fosdike for Rd 1 due to his injury and not having game time under his belt, so would imagine Jude Bolton will come in for him and I also don't see both Bevan and Crouch having spots in our best 22. Would probably expect to see Barlow take one of their spots.

swansrule100
28th February 2008, 12:40 PM
jude bolton will play all 22 games, wether he deserves to or not is another question.

He looks to be back in some good nick though

id have bird and jack in round 1

crouch isnt in the best 22 imho neither is paul bevan

RogueSwan
28th February 2008, 02:00 PM
Has Crouch been playing in the practice matches? If so is really past it? Did the injuries just become too much?

AnnieH
28th February 2008, 02:59 PM
Has Crouch been playing in the practice matches? If so is really past it? Did the injuries just become too much?

I thought Crouch retired?????:confused:

(Or did we retire him at the end of last season? I can't remember.)

TheGrimReaper
28th February 2008, 03:18 PM
Haven't I made a topic about this already? :cool:

stellation
28th February 2008, 03:52 PM
I thought Crouch retired?????:confused:

(Or did we retire him at the end of last season? I can't remember.)
I believe RWO retired him, but neither Crouchy nor the club got the message (or if they did they ignored it).

Mountain Man
28th February 2008, 09:05 PM
Scenario:
It is a centre bounce at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. Every one is warm and had touches. Coaches have just reminded players of their roles. There are no exploitable matchups, or obvious ?winners? to date. It is 4.4 each; there is no wind; we are playing in daylight. The next score is more important than planning for future plays, or rotations.

We want our best team out there. (Malceski, and for clarity Playfair and Thornton not available).

My selections and role instructions for 22 players would be:
1. 2 ruckmen in Jolly and Everitt. (I would have White as the fill in for injury, and that would give him the opportunity for 5 or so games at the start of 2008.).

2. If we tap to advantage;
a. On the ground, we have 1 in-and-under player in Kirk. On the bench, for rotation, we have another in Bird. (Over time Moore may become the replacement.)
b. We have 1 clever-outsider waiting for the extraction, in Goodes; on the bench, another in Schmidt. (I wish we still had Williams!)
c. Our stopper/tagger in Ablett is hopefully keeping the gun opposition midfielder at bay.
d. If we have to go wider, there are 2 Wingmen in Barlow and Mattner.
So, there are the 9 centre men selections.

3. If we are still going forward,
a. The half forward line is waiting in O?Keefe, Hall, and Grundy
b. The full forward line is waiting in McVeigh, O?Loughlin, and Davis
c. Add benchman for rotation and injury coverage in Buchanan
There are another 7 selections

4. If we don?t tap to advantage, and the stopper doesn?t recover,
a. The half backline is ready to stop and rebound in Kennelly, LRT, and Bevan
b. In worst case, the fullback line is there in Bolton, Barry and Richards.
c. There is no space for a benchman, so in case of injury we would use Grundy as the tall, and Buchanan as a small.

that makes 6 defenders, and 22 selections.

No room for older faithfuls of Mathews, Fosdike, J Bolton, Crouch

No room yet for younger hopefuls in Brennan, Jack, Laidlaw, DOK

Jewels
28th February 2008, 09:17 PM
Scenario:
It is a centre bounce at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. Every one is warm and had touches. Coaches have just reminded players of their roles. There are no exploitable matchups, or obvious ?winners? to date. It is 4.4 each; there is no wind; we are playing in daylight. The next score is more important than planning for future plays, or rotations.

We want our best team out there. (Malceski, and for clarity Playfair and Thornton not available).

My selections and role instructions for 22 players would be:
1. 2 ruckmen in Jolly and Everitt. (I would have White as the fill in for injury, and that would give him the opportunity for 5 or so games at the start of 2008.).

2. If we tap to advantage;
a. On the ground, we have 1 in-and-under player in Kirk. On the bench, for rotation, we have another in Bird. (Over time Moore may become the replacement.)
b. We have 1 clever-outsider waiting for the extraction, in Goodes; on the bench, another in Schmidt. (I wish we still had Williams!)
c. Our stopper/tagger in Ablett is hopefully keeping the gun opposition midfielder at bay.
d. If we have to go wider, there are 2 Wingmen in Barlow and Mattner.
So, there are the 9 centre men selections.

3. If we are still going forward,
a. The half forward line is waiting in O?Keefe, Hall, and Grundy
b. The full forward line is waiting in McVeigh, O?Loughlin, and Davis
c. Add benchman for rotation and injury coverage in Buchanan
There are another 7 selections

4. If we don?t tap to advantage, and the stopper doesn?t recover,
a. The half backline is ready to stop and rebound in Kennelly, LRT, and Bevan
b. In worst case, the fullback line is there in Bolton, Barry and Richards.
c. There is no space for a benchman, so in case of injury we would use Grundy as the tall, and Buchanan as a small.

that makes 6 defenders, and 22 selections.

No room for older faithfuls of Mathews, Fosdike, J Bolton, Crouch

No room yet for younger hopefuls in Brennan, Jack, Laidlaw, DOK

Very well thought out and stated Mountain Man. I agree on 99% of your team and think your selections would give us a very strong team with a good mix of youthful exuberance and wily old heads. The only thing I would change is Laidlaw for Bevan as I think he offers more in his ability to clear the ball out of defence.

AnnieH
28th February 2008, 11:04 PM
I believe RWO retired him, but neither Crouchy nor the club got the message (or if they did they ignored it).

If only they'd listen to us, eh!!
:)

FootyontheBrain
29th February 2008, 12:58 AM
In my 22 I was thinking what we're likely to see on the ground given the opposition and the track record of our selectors. Not necessarily what I'd like to see.

I agree with much of what Mountain Man is saying, but I'd drop Grundy for White for his versatility.

sharp9
29th February 2008, 08:41 AM
B - Ted Richards - Leo Barry - Craig Bolton
HB - Tadhg Kennelly - Lewis Roberts-Thomson - Nick Malceski
C - Nic Fosdike - Luke Ablett - Adam Goodes
HF - Nick Davis - Barry Hall - Ryan O'Keefe
F - Jarrad McVeigh - Michael O'Loughlin - Adam Schneider
R - Darren Jolly - Brett Kirk - Jude Bolton

I - Peter Everitt - Amon Buchanan - Paul Bevan - Ben Mathews

Emerg - Jared Crouch - Tim Schmidt - Sean Dempster

Above is the team as selected for the whole of 2007 where fit. Only Amon Buchanan was ever dropped from the 22 as far as I can recall. Mathews missed a couple of games when he dropped himself :) but that was in 2006 wasn't it? Maybe Barlow was above Dempster by the end of the season.

The only other players to play any games were Barlow, Brennan, Grundy, Jack and Laidlaw...although see on RWO wiki Moore is listed as coming in for Buchanan against the Roos.

From that 25 we know for certain only that Schneider, Dempster and Kennelly are out and that Mattner is in. Everything else is speculation. Following my logic the current 25 is now.

HB - Tadhg Kennelly - Lewis Roberts-Thomson - Martin Mattner
F - Jarrad McVeigh - Michael O'Loughlin - Amon Buchanan

I - Peter Everitt - Jared Crouch - Paul Bevan - Ben Mathews

Emerg - Tim Schmidt - Luke Brennan - Ed Barlow

Not very exciting is it? But that is the team we would all assume to be named come round one if all players are fit who have not been officially ruled out. In the real world Barlow might come in instead of Crouch for height reasons.

Roos have been making quite a few noises about players needing to lift their game, particularly regarding disposal. At least he has acknowledged that out terrible ball usage really cost us. He didn't mention lack of speed of thought, poor decision making and generally turning in circles then giving a hospital handpass which, at best, leads to a stoppage....but maybe he was talking about this too. It almost sounded like he was acknowledging that who are neither good users of the ball, nor creative might actually get dropped for a less experienced but more talented player. I say ALMOST because the only dodgy disposers ever dropped in the last 2 years were Schneider and Buchanan....2 of the most creative.

It almost sounded like Mathews, Bevan, McVeigh, J Bolton and Fosdike (in that order) were on notice.

However I would be SHOCKED, absolutely SHOCKED if anyone were dropped for round one. Only 2 players have caused a stir in the pre-season and surely injuries will be enough to see Bird and White named, saving Roosey the problem of having to drop anyone...or maybe not.

Injury cloud players (in order) would be Everitt, Richards, Schmidt and Crouch. Everyone else in the conservative 25 is fit and playing at the moment (or playing next wek in the case of Kennelly).

White WILL come in for Everitt but Brennan will come in for Richards and Barlow for Crouch leaving Bird to replace Schmidt in the emergencies only...(along with Grundy and Brabazon).

So that's it I'm afraid. Here is the team as it will be named for round 1 barring new injuries (and assuming none of the injured seniors come back)

B - Luke Brennan - Leo Barry - Craig Bolton
F - Jarrad McVeigh - Michael O'Loughlin - Ed Barlow

I - JESSE WHITE - Amon Buchanan - Paul Bevan - Ben Mathews

Emerg - Craig Bird - Heath Grundy - Ryan Brabazon

There are probably only 3 people on the planet who would pick Bevan, Mcveigh and Mathews ahead of Bird on current form...but those 3 make up the Sydney match committee :rolleyes: so Bird will be on the emergency list....then Roosey will give a presser about how fantastic Bird is and how he would have loved to fit him in and how he will surely be a champion in the future...then he'll get one game in the wet at Kardinia and be dropped when Bevan comes back half fit.

As for me personally I have a not very pragmatic approach to selection(although in the long term it should be better) which is "hang the four points, play the most talented players who are ready to play" in which case Bird, Moore and Jack would come in for Mathews, Bevan and McVeigh. I'm not convinced that Grundy is more talented than Brennan so I'll leave him in...but I would still leave Richards out when he comes back from injury...Brennan, White and Grundy would get the gig ahead of him...even though Teddy gives good value and cannot be faulted for effort or courage...my rationale is that those other 3 will be better players when they have had Teddy's experience and hence should get the nod now.

RogueSwan
29th February 2008, 08:47 AM
In my 22 I was thinking what we're likely to see on the ground given the opposition and the track record of our selectors. Not necessarily what I'd like to see.

I agree with much of what Mountain Man is saying, but I'd drop Grundy for White for his versatility.

After what Roos said at the end of last year I would be expecting a lot more youngsters, but then again he may have forgotten about that over Christmas. :rolleyes:

Swanner
29th February 2008, 10:25 AM
B - Richards, Bolton, Barry
HB - Kennelly, LRT, Mattner
C - Ablett, Goodes, Bolton
HF - Buchanan, Hall, O'Keefe
F - Davis, O'Loughlin, McVeigh
Rucks - Jolly, Kirk, Fosdike

I/C - Everitt, Barlow, Bevan, Schmidt

Emergencies - Bird, Grundy, Jack

If Malceski is fit .. slot him in for Bolton ... drop Bevan from the bench

The team with Malceski in is stonger on paper than the Premiership team... big call i know ... to me the big question marks are whether Hall, Barry and Kirk can maintain their performance given they are over 30 .. good depth too ... with Matthews, Crouch, Brennan, Laidlaw, Playfair all unlucky (that's 400 games plus experience on tap to replace poor performers/injury)...

There is no excuses - :) top 4 this year ... as you can see i am very excited about our chances this year!

AnnieH
29th February 2008, 10:35 AM
I just like the way we're going in to 2008 without the "grand finalist" bull@@@@ pressure behind us.

I think it's made a difference.

Chow-Chicker
29th February 2008, 12:15 PM
I'd rather not have Davis in the side. I'm tired of his skitting and mazza type play. Reality says he will be selected, but if he continues to be a passenger, dump him immediately. Other than that, the rest is OK.

ernie koala
29th February 2008, 12:16 PM
B - Richards, Bolton, Barry
HB - Kennelly, LRT, Mattner
C - Ablett, Goodes, Bolton
HF - Buchanan, Hall, O'Keefe
F - Davis, O'Loughlin, McVeigh
Rucks - Jolly, Kirk, Fosdike

I/C - Everitt, Barlow, Bevan, Schmidt

Emergencies - Bird, Grundy, Jack

If Malceski is fit .. slot him in for Bolton ... drop Bevan from the bench

Looks pretty good; except..........Bird in - McVEIGH OUT

Chow-Chicker
29th February 2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, those 33 goals last year weren't much use (second most goals per game for the team)...

That just highlights my opinion of him being totally selfish. Does not contribute to any assists / one percenters that he should be doing. Even Barry Hall goes in to assist with shepherds, tackles etc that Davis would most likely be the beneficiary of.

Chow-Chicker
29th February 2008, 02:43 PM
Davis' job is to kick goals - he does that very well. He also contributes in the forward line not too dissimilar to MOL and not much behind Hall (who is clearly the main target). He also gives away less free kicks than either of them, has less clangers, and clears the ball more often, and has less time on ground.

Per game

Hall 1.2 assists, 1.2 tackles, 2.4 I50s, 0.0 clearances, 3.2 clangers
Davis 0.7 assists, 1.3 tackles, 2.3 I50s, 1.3 clearances, 1.6 clangers
MOL 0.9 assists, 1.4 tackles, 1.7 I50s, 0.3 clearances, 2.0 clangers
Yes, you can lay out all the stats you want. But for someone with his talent and ability, he is capable of FAR more. Naturally you believe Davis' contributions are adequate. I simply don't.

sharp9
29th February 2008, 03:15 PM
Yes, you can lay out all the stats you want. But for someone with his talent and ability, he is capable of FAR more. Naturally you believe Davis' contributions are adequate. I simply don't.And you can avoid the facts all you want but saying Davis doesn't do the things he actually does do is just plain, well I would like to say stupid, but blind is probably more accurate.

Everyone thinks Davo could be even more....suggesting he should be dropped is really ridiculous.

smasher
29th February 2008, 04:50 PM
I would not be at all surprised if Craig Bird was named in the centre.That's the position Roosy has him earmarked for and I have a gut feeling he will play round one.

TheGrimReaper
29th February 2008, 04:57 PM
I have a gut feeling that Birdy, will play in all 22 games, and hopefully take home the AFL's Rising Star Award. :D (clap)

AnnieH
29th February 2008, 05:19 PM
I had a gut feeling.
I sat on the toilet for a while ....

:rofl :rofl (clap)
(Sorry guys, I couldn't resist!!)

Chow-Chicker
29th February 2008, 05:26 PM
And you can avoid the facts all you want but saying Davis doesn't do the things he actually does do is just plain, well I would like to say stupid, but blind is probably more accurate.

Everyone thinks Davo could be even more....suggesting he should be dropped is really ridiculous.

I shall point out the many occasions where he does stuff all during the season. So be prepared for a few reminders.

Go Swannies
29th February 2008, 05:38 PM
If Davis finally starts playing to his potential, and
If Barry Hall really can see and move this year, and
If Goodes is in the form he seems to be in, and
If the kids like Bird fit in, and
If Kennelly comes back as good as ever, and
If we have no major injuries (ie those players listed above)

I think we could go Top Four - and that Premiership membership premium could even be worthwhile.

29th February 2008, 06:00 PM
Davis' job is to kick goals - he does that very well. He also contributes in the forward line not too dissimilar to MOL and not much behind Hall (who is clearly the main target). He also gives away less free kicks than either of them, has less clangers, and clears the ball more often, and has less time on ground.

Per game

Hall 1.2 assists, 1.2 tackles, 2.4 I50s, 0.0 clearances, 3.2 clangers
Davis 0.7 assists, 1.3 tackles, 2.3 I50s, 1.3 clearances, 1.6 clangers
MOL 0.9 assists, 1.4 tackles, 1.7 I50s, 0.3 clearances, 2.0 clangers

The Stats show it all.
Im not a Davis fan either same as Chow Chicker, though he is in our best 22; no doubt. He kicks goals !!
Assists : Least out of the 3. Looks after himself most of the time.
Tackles : For a mobile player doesnt work hard enough
Inside 50s : The other 2 play forward all the time . Davo is in the middle and up the ground far more than them.
Clearances : As Above.
Clangers : For a guy of his abiliity and skills and the amount of disposals he gets per game ( Averages 12 ) is poor

Look, he just a guy I wish would give more as he could be anything.Go get it , chase makes things happen. Just dont demand it all the time and then get @@@@ty when they dont kick it to him . Micky O was a gun when Plugger was around because he wanted the pill, he wanted to chase , moved around , worked off Plugger made things happen even with a bung knee.
The reason why Davo spends more time on the woodwork than the other 2 guys is simple. Barry and Micky O work all day , where Nick is more of a impact player and the other 2 demand better defenders and Davos opponents generally rebound off him .
Nick Davis : My Only Whipping Boy !!

Nico
29th February 2008, 06:03 PM
We need to be quicker and cleaner round the packs and have much more precise delivery to moving forward targets rather than static ones. QED.

The ball was far too easily cleared form our forward line in 2007.

wyatt
1st March 2008, 06:16 AM
Keep in mind that Davis is the 4th forward option in the Swans forward line, well behind Hall, O'Keefe and MOL. He often makes terrific position for himself, but rather than kick to him in open space, the mental giants in the midfield would rather bomb a floater to a hobbling Hall, despite the fact he's covered by 2 defenders with a 3rd propped 10m in front of him.

goswannie14
1st March 2008, 08:29 AM
Keep in mind that Davis is the 4th forward option in the Swans forward line, well behind Hall, O'Keefe and MOL. He often makes terrific position for himself, but rather than kick to him in open space, the mental giants in the midfield would rather bomb a floater to a hobbling Hall, despite the fact he's covered by 2 defenders with a 3rd propped 10m in front of him.This is the real fact of the matter, if the idiots in the midfield took off their blinkers and looked at all of the options then Davis would get more of the ball, as would ROK and MOL. The problem is, when they get the ball the midfielders either just look for Hall, or Kirk kicks a floater, or Jude Bolton kicks it 10 metres wide of his actual target.:eek:

franky_mojojo
1st March 2008, 10:15 AM
B: Bolton Barry Richards
HB: Mattner LRT Kennelly
C: Fosdike Kirk Barlow
HF: O'Keefe Hall Buchanan
F: Davis O'laughlin McVeigh
R: Jolly Goodes Bolton

Int: White Ablett Bird Matthews

Emg: Bevan Brennan Schmidt

sharp9
5th March 2008, 11:00 AM
Well with a bit of further injury news through...Everitt out, Fosdike out, Richards and Crouch probably fit, here is my thoughts on the team that will actually be selected

C - Jared Crouch - Luke Ablett - Adam Goodes

I - Jesse White - Paul Bevan - Luke Brennan - Ben Mathews

Emerg - Craig Bird - Amon Buchanan - Heath Grundy

My feeling is that White will get the nod ahead of Grundy but that there is nothing in the planet that would make Roosy drop Bevan, Mathews, McVeigh, J. Bolton, Crouch or Ablett in favour of Bird, no matter how good he is. And the past has shown that Buchanan is rated after all of the above named because he has too much creative flair.

Brennan might not get a game, but, seriously he has the attributes Roosy loves, hard at it, committed and very dodgy disposal. For this reason he will be selected in all "possibles" teams until such time as Roosy makes good on his "threat" to choose players with good disposal.

BTW out of 22 players we have 4 with above average disposal skills by foot - Kennelly, Matner, Davis and Hall. That's it folks. We also have 1 whose genius mitigates his errors (Goodes). Thereafter we have 7 with average kicks for the position they play - Barlow, C. Bolton, Ablett, White, Jolly, O' Keefe and O'Loughlin. The rest are below average - that's half the team who can't be trusted to kick it straight over a jam tin.

Sheesh! That said, we haven't actually seen the selection yet, we're just assuming that ability to kick straight or think fast has absolutely no bearing on whether one is selected for the Sydney Swans. :)

sharp9
5th March 2008, 11:02 AM
B: Bolton Barry Richards
HB: Mattner LRT Kennelly
C: Fosdike Kirk Barlow
HF: O'Keefe Hall Buchanan
F: Davis O'laughlin McVeigh
R: Jolly Goodes Bolton

Int: White Ablett Bird Matthews

Emg: Bevan Brennan Schmidt

You have made an error. Bevan has never been dropped and never will be....don't you read RWO????? :o

TheGrimReaper
5th March 2008, 11:06 AM
Craig Bird is a monty to be in the seniors by Round 1, wouldn't he? :cool:

ugg
5th March 2008, 11:14 AM
Craig Bird is a monty to be in the seniors by Round 1, wouldn't he? :cool:
Monty's more of a monty than Bird, but I'd still find a place for both. Not sure there is a space for White though.

Robbo
5th March 2008, 11:19 AM
Mathews and Bevan over Bird and Buchanan.

:rolleyes:

TheGrimReaper
5th March 2008, 11:53 AM
Mathews and Bevan over Bird and Buchanan.

:rolleyes:

Agreed! I would have Bird and Buchanan in ahead of those two any day of the week.

ugg
8th March 2008, 05:46 PM
Canberra Times article hinting again that LRT will be the 2nd ruckman.

Manuka to decide Sydney's ruck pair
(http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/afl/manuka-to-decide-sydneys-ruck-pair/1198667.html)

JudesaGun
9th March 2008, 02:07 PM
I really hope it is:

B - Kieren Jack - Leo Barry - Craig Bolton
C - Amon Buchanan - Luke Ablett - Adam Goodes

I - Craig Bird - Jarrad Moore - Ed Barlow - Ted Richards

TheGrimReaper
9th March 2008, 02:13 PM
I really hope it is:

I didn't know that Barlow was that good. :p

TheMase
9th March 2008, 05:02 PM
I really hope it is:

I would be surprised if Ted Richards was named, since he has not taken part in the pre-season thus far. He was supposed to play on the weekend, and was pulled out. I would not be surprised to see him miss given Roos seems to like at least a game under their belt first.

I would say Brennan/Grundy for Richards (one, but not both). Grundy is probably a better replacement for Richards given he can play a similar role.

Ben Matthews will play. Paul Bevan will play.

This is the team I would expect to take the field...
It is not what I would necessarily want, but I would say it is most likely:

B - Paul Bevan - Leo Barry - Craig Bolton
F - Jarrad McVeigh - Michael O'Loughlin - Jarrad Moore

I - Craig Bird - Ed Barlow - Ben Matthews - Heath Grundy/Luke Brennan/Jesse White

I think the last selection will come down to whether they want LRT to play in the backline for the whole match. If they do, Jesse White will play. If LRT plays ruck, either Grundy or Brennan will get the nod to relieve him in defense.

chalbilto
9th March 2008, 05:15 PM
I would be surprised if Ted Richards was named, since he has not taken part in the pre-season thus far. He was supposed to play on the weekend, and was pulled out. I would not be surprised to see him miss given Roos seems to like at least a game under their belt first.

I would say Brennan/Grundy for Richards (one, but not both). Grundy is probably a better replacement for Richards given he can play a similar role.

Ben Matthews will play. Paul Bevan will play.

This is the team I would expect to take the field...
It is not what I would necessarily want, but I would say it is most likely:

F - Jarrad McVeigh - Michael O'Loughlin - Jarrad Moore

I - Craig Bird - Ed Barlow - Ben Matthews - Heath Grundy/Luke Brennan/Jesse White

I think the last selection will come down to whether they want LRT to play in the backline for the whole match. If they do, Jesse White will play. If LRT plays ruck, either Grundy or Brennan will get the nod to relieve him in defense.

I would have to agree with your selections. Even though Ben Matthews looked old and slow yesterday I think that he will get selected, but I would prefer the interchange to be Craig Bird - Ed Barlow - K. Jack - Luke Brennan.

DST
9th March 2008, 05:37 PM
I really hope it is:

Looks to be very close to what will run out.

Only real changes could be White for Richards as the second ruckman or Grundy if they want another tall pinch hitter at both ends. Fosdike if available then to replace the second Ed Barlow.

I can't see them selecting both of Bevan and Jack and Jack's form looks the stronger at present.

DST
:D

JudesaGun
9th March 2008, 05:43 PM

I - Craig Bird - Jarrad Moore - Reg Grundy - Nic Fosdike (if ready)/ otherwise Matthews

Out with one Ed and Richards (who I didn't know had missed preseason)

liz
9th March 2008, 05:47 PM
It's real shame they seem to have made their mind up on White before yesterday's game. We're going to go into a game at the Telstra Dome (ie won't be wet) against one of the teams with the most decent talls severly down on height.

If LRT is going to play in the ruck, I count only one Craig Bolton to take care of both Riewoldt and Koschitske. And both those are very tall, very good marking players. Maybe Brennan can sit on Leo's shoulders to take care of the other. I wonder if Leo can still leap if he has someone atop him...

liz
9th March 2008, 05:49 PM
I - Craig Bird - Jarrad Moore - Reg Grundy - Nic Fosdike (if ready)/ otherwise Matthews

Out with one Ed and Richards (who I didn't know had missed preseason)

Fosdike is definitely not available. Injured his medial ligmanent a few weeks ago and I suspect is a few weeks away from a senior game.

We all know Mathews is going to play. despite being largely redundant yesterday.

And you need to add Moore to your side. On pre-season performances he has to get a go, even ahead of Bird and Jack.

Ablett can't be any certainty to take his spot though. since he was also an absentee yesterday.

thejones,s
9th March 2008, 05:55 PM
Veering away from this topic....Liz why didnt you say that you where going to Manuka...could of said hi..........

swans song
9th March 2008, 06:06 PM
I really hope it is:

if Jack plays in the back pocket
Koshkicke, Gardiner King & Reiwoldt can use him as a step ladder or door mat if they can catch him!!

JudesaGun
9th March 2008, 06:19 PM
Fosdike is definitely not available. Injured his medial ligmanent a few weeks ago and I suspect is a few weeks away from a senior game.

We all know Mathews is going to play. despite being largely redundant yesterday.

And you need to add Moore to your side. On pre-season performances he has to get a go, even ahead of Bird and Jack.

Ablett can't be any certainty to take his spot though. since he was also an absentee yesterday.

Moore is named on my bench.

And if Fosdike is out, Matthews will probably be in although I'd say we need another tall and we should give White a go.

9th March 2008, 06:25 PM

NOG will play.
Nick wont.
I wouldnt guarentee Bennys spot as yet
Its pre season , 2 weeks to go to the real stuff.

JudesaGun
9th March 2008, 06:26 PM
if Jack plays in the back pocket
Koshkicke, Gardiner King & Reiwoldt can use him as a step ladder or door mat if they can catch him!!

Would be a great match up on Milne or Schnieder. In fact Leo or LRT could use either of them as a step ladder!

liz
10th March 2008, 06:57 AM
Here's an article to put the dampeners on any expectations of wholesale injections.

we should probably have a couple of young guys coming into the team in round one.

It is not clear whether Barlow (4 games) doesn't get a mention because his spot is already secure or because he finished the season in the senior team, or because he's no chance for round 1.

Rookies turn up heat on old Swans - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/rookies-turn-up-heat-on-old-swans/2008/03/09/1204998286909.html)

Also interesting to note mention of niggling injuries to Richards and Ablett but still no mention of Schmidt.

Old Royboy
10th March 2008, 11:13 AM
You may be right Liz. Roos saying he would like to, rather than he will promote all three implies that he is still thinking about giving some of the serial RWO whipping boys another chance. Even so, I believe Mathews will definitely be dropped, and this will leave space for two of the three (prob Moore and only one of Jack or Bird)

The coaching panel needs to lose patience with one of Bevan, McVeigh or Buchanan OR for NOG to not be fit for all three to get a run.

Barlow is a given, he was in the final team last year and has been in our best two weeks running. I would be gobsmacked if he missed out.

stellation
10th March 2008, 11:16 AM
Didn't McVeigh and Bevan debut in the same game?

TheGrimReaper
10th March 2008, 11:31 AM
Didn't McVeigh and Bevan debut in the same game?

2008 - RWOwiki (http://redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=2008)

If you checked the RWOwiki player profiles, you would know that is correct stellation. :p

stellation
10th March 2008, 11:55 AM
So they were, so you could argue the last Swans youngsters to debut Round 1 were Bevan and McVeigh... although the journo could then highlight they listed Bevan because he was drafted a year later than McVeigh and then debuted round 1 of his first year on the senior list. What a pathetic little pedant I am.

On pedantry, can someone be "very much maligned"?

TheGrimReaper
10th March 2008, 12:01 PM
So they were, so you could argue the last Swans youngsters to debut Round 1 were Bevan and McVeigh... although the journo could then highlight they listed Bevan because he was drafted a year later than McVeigh and then debuted round 1 of his first year on the senior list. What a pathetic little pedant I am.

Yes! When I can't be stuffed changing it. :cool:

liz
10th March 2008, 12:15 PM

Weren't McVeigh and Bevan both drafted in 2002 - just one onto the senior list and one onto the rookie list?

stellation
10th March 2008, 12:59 PM
Weren't McVeigh and Bevan both drafted in 2002 - just one onto the senior list and one onto the rookie list?
That's what I thought too off the top of my head, but using the wiki as the single source of truth it puts Bevan as 2003 rookie list, 2004 promoted (with McVeigh 2002 drafted). For the life of me I can't remember the details beyond that and looking them up would be, be, well... easier than typing this obviously!

TheGrimReaper
10th March 2008, 01:06 PM
That's what I thought too off the top of my head, but using the wiki as the single source of truth it puts Bevan as 2003 rookie list, 2004 promoted (with McVeigh 2002 drafted). For the life of me I can't remember the details beyond that and looking them up would be, be, well... easier than typing this obviously!

Paul Bevan was drafted in the 2003 Rookie Draft, but was elevated in season 2004, hence why he it says 2004 Rookie Elevation. :rolleyes:

liz
10th March 2008, 01:12 PM

But the draft by which Bevan became a 2003 rookie would have been the 2002 rookie draft. Unless it was before they switched the date of the rookie and pre-season drafts from just before season start to mid-December, in which case technically Bevan would have been drafted in 2003 rather than 2002. But either way, both McVeigh and Bevan joined the club for the start of the 2003 season - it was the first one they were both on the list.

TheGrimReaper
10th March 2008, 01:14 PM
But the draft by which Bevan became a 2003 rookie would have been the 2002 rookie draft. Unless it was before they switched the date of the rookie and pre-season drafts from just before season start to mid-December, in which case technically Bevan would have been drafted in 2003 rather than 2002. But either way, both McVeigh and Bevan joined the club for the start of the 2003 season - it was the first one they were both on the list.

I looked it up using the AFL Record Guide to Season 2008, and it says he was drafted in the 2003 National AFL Rookie Draft.

stellation
10th March 2008, 01:15 PM
I had thought that it might have been something to do with a simple switch of dates with the rookie draft, but again my efforts were mispalced :)

connolly
10th March 2008, 01:20 PM

No. But if your name is Paul Bevan on RWO you can be - very much, extremely, excessively, abundantly, amply, completely, considerably, copiously, countlessly, endlessly, extravagantly, fully, generously, greatly, immeasurablely, lavishly, limitlessly, endlessly, plenteously, plentifully, profusely, substantially, voluminously . . . maligned

TheGrimReaper
10th March 2008, 01:22 PM
No. But if your name is Paul Bevan on RWO you can be - very much, extremely, excessively, abundantly, amply, completely, considerably, copiously, countlessly, endlessly, extravagantly, fully, generously, greatly, immeasurablely, lavishly, limitlessly, endlessly, plenteously, plentifully, profusely, substantially, voluminously . . . maligned

Now that I have changed it, somebody goes and says that I was correct in the first place. :p

stellation
10th March 2008, 01:23 PM
Now that I have changed it, somebody goes and says that I was correct in the first place. :p
:D

ugg
10th March 2008, 01:40 PM
The recently completed drafts are referred to as:

2007 National Draft
2008 Rookie (and pre-season) Draft

Apparently having it a few months later classifies it as happening in the next year! Probably the same thing happened back in 2002.

sidswan
11th March 2008, 09:46 PM
Where is Henry Playfair?

ScottH
11th March 2008, 09:48 PM
Where is Henry Playfair?

Injured.

Robbo
11th March 2008, 10:32 PM

He will stop being maligned when he starts playing decent football on a regular basis. If he continues to play 3 bad games out of 4 then people will keep having a go at him.

Seems fair enough to me.

TheGrimReaper
11th March 2008, 11:13 PM
Injured.

How long for? :confused:

ScottH
12th March 2008, 06:17 AM
How long for? :confused:

Henry Playfair - Hamstring - indefinite

franky_mojojo
17th March 2008, 01:45 PM
B: Richards Barry LRT
HB: Mathews C. Bolton Mattner
C: Buchanan Kirk Ablett
HF: O'Keefe O'Laughlin McVeigh
F: Moore Hall Davis

Ruck: Jolly, Goodes, Bolton

Int: Bird, Jack, Barlow, Grundy,

Emg: Bevan, Brennan, Vogels

Triple B
17th March 2008, 01:47 PM

:p :p :p

franky_mojojo
17th March 2008, 02:07 PM
:p :p :p

haha, didn't get much sleep last night :o

Swap him with Schmidt (assuming he's fit), haven't heard anything about how his pre-season's been.

BSA5
17th March 2008, 03:59 PM
B: Richards Barry LRT
HB: Mathews C. Bolton Mattner
C: Buchanan Kirk Ablett
HF: O'Keefe O'Laughlin McVeigh
F: Moore Hall Davis

Ruck: Jolly, Goodes, Bolton

Int: Bird, Jack, Barlow, Grundy,

Grundy for White and I'm happy.

smasher
17th March 2008, 04:10 PM
I have just read todays AFL Fox report in the Melbourne HeraldSun.Longmire has said that "Bird,Jack.Barlow,Grundy and Moore" have all warranted a place in the first round team.He went on to say that their will be discussion on Bird and that Jack has come on quickly.
I say this week it be a "baptism of fire" for the new and inexperienced players as St Kilda is a hard drilled,strong,fast team(from what I have heard).It's gunna be a long week waiting for the first game.At least all our new boys played ressies together at various times last year and have had plenty of match practice together this pre-season.I still wonder what the go is with Jesse White?

ugg
19th March 2008, 12:16 AM
Young Swans likely to take on Saints | Daily Telegraph (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/afl/story/0,27009,23397271-5016140,00.html)

"We go in on Saturday night with a newish looking team, up to five, including (former Adelaide wingman Martin) Mattner, up to five or six guys that haven't played a lot of footy for the Sydney Swans," coach Paul Roos said today.

Bird, Moore, Jack, Barlow, Mattner, Grundy?

Triple B
19th March 2008, 05:46 AM
More of the same....

Fresh Approach - The Age (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/roos-leaning-towards-a-fresh-approach/2008/03/18/1205602385649.html)

sharp9
19th March 2008, 07:12 AM
Well...that's exciting selection news. Brennan not mentioned, maybe he won't be in.

Fosdike, Ablett, Richards, Schmidt, Crouch and Everitt are injured, correct??

In which case Roosey can play kids and STILL not drop Bevo, Mathews, McVeigh or Bolton. Sheesh!

Here's the team, then

C - Adam Goodes - Ben Mathews - Jarrad McVeigh
F - Jarred Moore - Michael O'Loughlin - Ed Barlow

I - Craig Bird - Amon Buchanan - Heath Grundy - Keiren Jack

Emerg - Peter Faulks - Jesse White - Ryan Brabazon

Jeffers1984
19th March 2008, 08:26 AM
looks like LRT will be the backup ruckman so White and Grundy will have to fight for the 1 KPP spot.

sharp9
19th March 2008, 11:03 AM
Mathews in the centre!?!?! :eek:He's been named there a bit recently, I believe....and that's where he generally is when he gets on the park. He likes to drift forward but his opponent likes to get him into the back fifty so he can be exploited for pace.

Industrial Fan
19th March 2008, 12:24 PM
If BLT will be doing the ruckwork, its a bit tough to list him at CHB too. Particularly if he's to play on Riewoldt.

Probably need to drop one of: Bird, Moore, Jack or Bevan to accommodate White so we have some sort of backup.

Dream on that Matthews will be excluded.

ugg
19th March 2008, 12:27 PM
Well...that's exciting selection news. Brennan not mentioned, maybe he won't be in.

Fosdike, Ablett, Richards, Schmidt, Crouch and Everitt are injured, correct??

In which case Roosey can play kids and STILL not drop Bevo, Mathews, McVeigh or Bolton. Sheesh!

Here's the team, then

C - Adam Goodes - Ben Mathews - Jarrad McVeigh
F - Jarred Moore - Michael O'Loughlin - Ed Barlow

I - Craig Bird - Amon Buchanan - Heath Grundy - Keiren Jack

Emerg - Peter Faulks - Jesse White - Ryan Brabazon
I think this will be the team. With LRT going to ruck, Grundy will have to play on the third tall. (or Brennan)

BSA5
19th March 2008, 01:25 PM
Roos has been cautious in regards to selecting White, but he hasn't ruled him out. He also didn't rule Richards either in or out. Given that Richards is a tall defender who has rucked a bit in the past, I think White's inclusion may rest on whether they play Teddy or not. If they don't play Ted, they'll need another tall, and White looks like the only option. But if they do, White won't be needed as badly. If Richards doesn't play, either White or Barlow will play as a tall defender. If Richards does play, Barlow will play forward or in the midfield, and White will be an emergency.

Chilcott
19th March 2008, 02:03 PM
If I was a selector I would play Jesse White and Ted Richards.

Leave LRT in a key postion and use Jesse White and Ted Richards as back-up ruckmen. When not in the ruck Jesse could have short spells up forward and Teddy down back.

Would drop Ben Matthews for Jesse White and put Goodes in the Centre with Buchanan on the wing.

Pace To Burn
19th March 2008, 02:07 PM
My mail is Bird will play on the wing, maybe will match up on Schneider. Not sure about the others.

TheMase
19th March 2008, 06:07 PM
Roos has been cautious in regards to selecting White, but he hasn't ruled him out. He also didn't rule Richards either in or out. Given that Richards is a tall defender who has rucked a bit in the past, I think White's inclusion may rest on whether they play Teddy or not. If they don't play Ted, they'll need another tall, and White looks like the only option. But if they do, White won't be needed as badly. If Richards doesn't play, either White or Barlow will play as a tall defender. If Richards does play, Barlow will play forward or in the midfield, and White will be an emergency.

I would be very surprised if Richards, Crouch or any player that has not played a pre-season game being named in the side.

I think we can safely count those guys out of contention.

Edit: I just read that Richards played on the weekend, so nevermind that! (I wonder if he has enough pre-season credits?)

Will be a different side regardless.

BSA5
19th March 2008, 06:23 PM
Edit: I just read that Richards played on the weekend, so nevermind that! (I wonder if he has enough pre-season credits?)

And that is the main point. Does Roos believe one game is enough of a preseason warm up to name Richards, or will he be cautious and play the guy who has less experience, but a more involved preseason, in White?

Old Royboy
19th March 2008, 07:14 PM
Neither, he'll play Brennen.

BSA5
19th March 2008, 07:28 PM
Neither, he'll play Brennen.

I hope not. Brennan isn't tall enough, for one thing.

liz
19th March 2008, 08:30 PM
Neither, he'll play Brennen.I think you're right ORB. I think he'll be tempted to play Richards given the great game he had last time we played the Saints, but it's unreasonable to expect Ted to repeat that if he's not match fit. I think he'll miss.

And White stands next to no chance of playing this week, unless Hall, Jolly and MickyO all fall down the stairs between now and Saturday night. If he'd been in the mix still, he wouldn't have played last weekend. (And nor, might I add, did he play last weekend as if he was a guy with one last chance to put himself into contention. He was surprisingly muted, I thought.)

Triple B
19th March 2008, 08:42 PM
I think he'll be tempted to play Richards given the great game he had last time we played the Saints, but it's unreasonable to expect Ted to repeat that if he's not match fit.

I was thinking along the same lines myself. Easily Teddy's best game last year was at Homebush/Telstra/ANZ against the Aints.

I'm sure Roos would dearly love to play him, but.....

goswannie14
19th March 2008, 08:54 PM
White picked in the forward pocket.

Triple B
19th March 2008, 09:06 PM
White picked in the forward pocket.

Source??

ugg
19th March 2008, 09:26 PM
I think he's quoting TFS which AFAIK is pure guesswork. They had Bird and Moore on the bench as well?

BSA5
19th March 2008, 10:10 PM
And White stands next to no chance of playing this week, unless Hall, Jolly and MickyO all fall down the stairs between now and Saturday night. If he'd been in the mix still, he wouldn't have played last weekend. (And nor, might I add, did he play last weekend as if he was a guy with one last chance to put himself into contention. He was surprisingly muted, I thought.)

If that were true, then Roos would have been more definite in regards to White's chances. He would have said that at the moment White was not in contention. I think he's still flipping a coin in his head over Richards. If Richards doesn't play, White will replace him. That's what I'm thinking.

ugg
19th March 2008, 10:14 PM
I'm with ORB, Brennan will play on the third Saints tall, just like he did last year.

liz
19th March 2008, 10:22 PM
If that were true, then Roos would have been more definite in regards to White's chances. He would have said that at the moment White was not in contention. I think he's still flipping a coin in his head over Richards. If Richards doesn't play, White will replace him. That's what I'm thinking.

AFL rules require clubs to give players who have had a full pre-season roster of matches a week off before the season proper starts. The players clubs generally request permission to play in the "off-week" are those who haven't been able to play much in the pre-season competitions.

White played in each of the 4 games I believe. (He certainly played in the first, second and last.) Had the club seriously been comtemplating him for round one senior action, they have almost certainly have given him the week off to rest.

Of course he could still play, if there are injuries to any more tallish players. But ethically I think the club could only play him last weekend if they'd all but ruled him out of senior action in round 1. And if you read what Roos has said, he pretty much has already ruled him out.

ugg
19th March 2008, 10:28 PM
Who is their third tall? Gehrig is still out?
C.Gardiner if he plays?
M.Gardiner/King resting in the pocket?

Old Royboy
19th March 2008, 11:08 PM
I said in my match report that the Manuka game appeared to be a dress rehearsal, right down to only using four on the interchange. The only possible ins after that game were Hall, Ablett and Richards. Due to injury and lack of gametime it appears that only Baz and maybe Ted will come in. Roos is often accused of double speak, but if he is quoted in the press as saying that Joe Bloggs is in the frame to play, then that normally happens. So pencil in Jack, Bird, Barlow Moore and Grundy. Brennen was not mentioned, I believe that was because of the doubt over Ted: IMO it will be one or the other. Only remains to decide which of the dynamic duo gets the sword. Bevan's white haired boy status will win the day. Guess Benny Mathews should get down to his local dive shop for some oxygen tanks for the rarified Canberra air! (thanks Satchmo)

goswannie14
20th March 2008, 07:53 AM
Source??The Footy Show.

Triple B
20th March 2008, 08:52 AM
The Footy Show.

So nothing official then. Some FS goon stuck him there to fill up space.

ernie koala
20th March 2008, 09:47 AM
Mathews in the run on side.:eek: :eek:
McVeigh in the run on side.:eek:
Bevan on the extended bench.
After such a dynamic preseason from them all.:rolleyes:
Who does Roos possibly think Benny can match up on?????? Milne, Schnieder, Montanya.:eek:
Reiwolt perhaps.:cool:
As usual, there'll be nowhere to hide him, and one of our other defenders will have to compromise their game to cover for him. :mad:

ernie koala
20th March 2008, 11:39 AM
Mathews in the run on side.:eek: :eek:
McVeigh in the run on side.:eek:
Bevan on the extended bench.
After such a dynamic preseason from them all.:rolleyes:
Who does Roos possibly think Benny can match up on?????? Milne, Schnieder, Montanya.:eek:
As usual, there'll be nowhere to hide him, and one of our other defenders will have to compromise their game to cover for him. :mad:

This assumes TFS team list is correct...........silly me:o

liz
20th March 2008, 11:51 AM

My expectation is that Mathews will be in the team that is announced this evening, and to be fair, the Saints are one team where there are a number of suitable match-ups. The Saints have a core of ball-winning mids who aren't too quick but can get their hands on the ball. Limit the output of one or two of them, and you're someway towards getting control of the midfield (subject to winning the darned thing yourselves).

Kirk will probably take Hayes, but Harvey, Ball and Dal Santo are possible opponents for Mathews, especially if Ablett isn't fit.

NMWBloods
20th March 2008, 11:59 AM
I dream of the day when the opposition is focussed on how to match up on our midfielders who concentrate on getting the ball, instead of vice versa!

goswannie14
20th March 2008, 12:02 PM
My expectation is that Mathews will be in the team that is announced this evening, and to be fair, the Saints are one team where there are a number of suitable match-ups. The Saints have a core of ball-winning mids who aren't too quick but can get their hands on the ball. Limit the output of one or two of them, and you're someway towards getting control of the midfield (subject to winning the darned thing yourselves).This was a point made by a number of commentators on tThe Footy Show last night, that St Kilda have possibly the slowest midfield in the competition.

Industrial Fan
20th March 2008, 12:11 PM
Matthews had a reasonable game against Dal Santo last meeting.

Some chastised him on here for focusing on him, but he did a good job...

Bleed Red Blood
20th March 2008, 12:49 PM
This was a point made by a number of commentators on tThe Footy Show last night, that St Kilda have possibly the slowest midfield in the competition.

Other than ours?

goswannie14
20th March 2008, 01:05 PM
Other than ours?No they were talking about it in respect to playing us at TelstraDome.

jenky28
20th March 2008, 01:06 PM
I dont have all day to sit and read every post to see if this has been said so please dont jump on me if it has!
Crouch is INJURED much to all your likes! He tore his hammy twice in the of season and is 2 weeks away i reckon!

IMO HE SHOULD NOT RETIRE HE HAS PLENTY MORE TO OFFER BOTH WITH HIS FOOTBALL ABILITY AND HIS LOOKS HE DEFINATELY LOOKS HOTTER THAN EVER IN TGHE LOOKS DEPARTMENT!
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

ScottH
20th March 2008, 01:23 PM
groan.

If he gets himself fit, I'm sure he has a few more years left in him.

RogueSwan
20th March 2008, 01:53 PM
This was a point made by a number of commentators on tThe Footy Show last night, that St Kilda have possibly the slowest midfield in the competition.
maybe slow leg speed, but they do have quick skills.

ernie koala
20th March 2008, 04:15 PM
Matthews had a reasonable game against Dal Santo last meeting.

Some chastised him on here for focusing on him, but he did a good job...

If he brings his preseason form with him, then he'll be terrible....as usual.

Old Royboy
20th March 2008, 05:14 PM
According to the Swans website, Bird, Jack, Moore and Grundy will be in the selected 22.

stellation
20th March 2008, 05:24 PM
I'm really keen to see the squad that is named, obviously depends on the outs but I'm suprised we are bringing in all 3 munchkins.

ugg
20th March 2008, 05:25 PM
SYDNEY
B: Kennelly, Barry, Mattner
HB: C.Bolton, Roberts-Thomson, Jack
C: Buchanan, Kirk, McVeigh
HF: R.O'Keefe, O'Loughlin, J.Bolton
F: Bird, Hall, Grundy
FOLL: Jolly, Goodes, Moore
I/C: Ablett, Bevan, Davis, Richards
EMG: Barlow, Brennan, Mathews
NEW: Craig Bird, Scholarship Selection, No.57 at 2007 AFL Draft, from NSW-ACT U18s

The Bad
Barlow is out!!!!!!!!
The (Mostly) Good
Mathews is out!!!!!!!!!!

stellation
20th March 2008, 05:28 PM
Davis named on the bench again.

ugg
20th March 2008, 05:29 PM
Hmm just realised Ablett and Richards are both named.

ernie koala
20th March 2008, 05:33 PM
SYDNEY
B: Kennelly, Barry, Mattner
HB: C.Bolton, Roberts-Thomson, Jack
C: Buchanan, Kirk, McVeigh
HF: R.O'Keefe, O'Loughlin, J.Bolton
F: Bird, Hall, Grundy
FOLL: Jolly, Goodes, Moore
I/C: Ablett, Bevan, Davis, Richards
EMG: Barlow, Brennan, Mathews
NEW: Craig Bird, Scholarship Selection, No.57 at 2007 AFL Draft, from NSW-ACT U18s

The Bad
Barlow is out!!!!!!!!
The (Mostly) Good
Mathews is out!!!!!!!!!!

Ablett and Richards have had very limited, if any, gametime so far, which seems like a big gamble.

CJK
20th March 2008, 05:34 PM
Hmmm, someone to come out for Barlow on game day?

Old Royboy
20th March 2008, 05:34 PM
No Cheese - didn't see that one coming. I thought possibly Monty would be in strife if NOG came up. Still remains to be seen if Ablett and Richards actually play. If they don't Barlow for Ablett, Brennan for Richards.

Poor Bevan - with Mathews gone he's up for a double dose of RWO invective.

stellation
20th March 2008, 05:37 PM
I realize the way they line up rarely matches the way they are named, but I was hoping this year they would go back to naming Davis at HFF since that is where he normally starts the game. Probably doesn't bother him but it does irk me just a bit.

Triple B
20th March 2008, 05:38 PM

I'm hearing ya :p :p :p

Matt79
20th March 2008, 05:44 PM
WOW! Mathews an emergency! RWO strikes!

Great to see Bird debut!

ugg
20th March 2008, 05:46 PM
Here's the other mob:

ST KILDA v SYDNEY
Saturday, 7:10pm AEST, Telstra Dome
ST KILDA
B: Gram, Hudghton, Gilbert
HB: R.Clarke, S.Fisher, X.Clarke
C: Blake, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Harvey, Riewoldt, Schneider
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Gehrig
FOLL: King, Dal Santo, Ball
I/C: M.Gardiner, C.Gardiner, Jones, Geary
EMG: L.Fisher, Fiora, Birss
NEW: Jarryn Geary, 2007 Rookie List elevation, from Bendigo U18s

Umpires: Ryan, Vozzo, Jeffrey

Triple B
20th March 2008, 05:52 PM

I hope this doesn't come back to bite me, but the umpires look OK.

Industrial Fan
20th March 2008, 05:54 PM
not a Mc amongst them.

Anyone else experiencing dream team melt down?

ugg
20th March 2008, 05:55 PM
Wash your mouth out!!

4 talls for the Saints too
Gehrig
Riewoldt
Kosi
C.Gardiner

Matt79
20th March 2008, 05:57 PM
Wash your mouth out!!

4 talls for the Saints too
Gehrig
Riewoldt
Kosi
C.Gardiner

I suspect Grundy may be called upon to head back into defence to add some height.

Jack will play on Schneider.

ugg
20th March 2008, 05:58 PM
I suspect Grundy may be called upon to head back into defence to add some height.

Jack will play on Schneider.
And who will play on Milne?

I think if Schneider will play on the wing, perhaps Mattner can mind him.

Triple B
20th March 2008, 06:03 PM
Anyone else experiencing dream team melt down?

Par for the course, usual last minute meltdown.

I just traded out Cheese for Josh Gibson (NM). Took 20 minutes.

Robbo
20th March 2008, 06:08 PM
Well done to Paul Roos. Has finally woken up and realised that Ben Mathews isn't in the best 22.

Great to see Moore as one of the followers, I hope he's thrown straight into it.

Good to see Grundy up forward where he belongs.

TheMase
20th March 2008, 06:12 PM
I am betting there will be a late change, either Richards or Ablett out. Barlow can probably come in for either as himself and Grundy can both go back.

Robbo
20th March 2008, 06:16 PM
I honestly don't know why people see Grundy as a backman. He got embarassed by Brent Staker last year and would of been embarassed in the NAB cup if Buddy had of kicked straight.

Donners
20th March 2008, 06:27 PM
I was certainly not impressed by what I saw of Jack in the pre-season, have seen nothing in Grundy and I'm quite shocked Barlow was left out of the side. Other than that, no real complaints, though it's irritating a player who should be in that Swans side is playing for the opposition...

chalbilto
20th March 2008, 06:29 PM
I am betting there will be a late change, either Richards or Ablett out. Barlow can probably come in for either as himself and Grundy can both go back.

I suspect you are right and I have a feeling that Ablett will not play.

Robbo
20th March 2008, 06:29 PM
I'd put McVeigh forward and maybe move Bird or Jude to the wing.

liz
20th March 2008, 06:49 PM

I think the Pies / Freo game has a dream duo of one of the Macs and Chamberlain.

Nico
20th March 2008, 07:46 PM
Here's the other mob:

ST KILDA v SYDNEY
Saturday, 7:10pm AEST, Telstra Dome
ST KILDA
B: Gram, Hudghton, Gilbert
HB: R.Clarke, S.Fisher, X.Clarke
C: Blake, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Harvey, Riewoldt, Schneider
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Gehrig
FOLL: King, Dal Santo, Ball
I/C: M.Gardiner, C.Gardiner, Jones, Geary
EMG: L.Fisher, Fiora, Birss
NEW: Jarryn Geary, 2007 Rookie List elevation, from Bendigo U18s

I like having the 2 Clarkes on the HBF. They make a lot of mistakes and are as loose as granny's teeth.

Our side is not too bad and I doubt both of Ablett and Richards will play. Richards has hardly been sighted and Barlow's pre season has been OK. I thought he was one of our best in the last hit out. Ablett has only had one game and has a groin injury so expect some changes.

Sadly Mathews on the bench might be a blind selection and he may play after all.

mcs
20th March 2008, 08:00 PM
Im pretty happy witht he team. Id really think that Richards wont be playing though, Id expect its a smoky and probably Brennan imo opinion might come in, even though Id much prefer to see Cheese there.

Good to see us make some changes and try something different- Moore, Jack, Grundy and Bird all in the team very impressed with that. I hope it is the start of a very long and glorious career for C Bird. I for one think he has it in him to be one super player for the club.

Claret
20th March 2008, 08:07 PM
I think Barlow might play for two reasons . . .

Paul Roos:
So five relatively new faces and one who hasn't played before.

5 = Bird, Moore, Jack, Grundy plus Barlow??

1 new one = Mattner

This is assuming that the 1 who hasn't played wasn't counted twice by Roos.

The second reason is that an email that just came through from the Swans themselves stated that the player to watch was . . . . Ed Barlow.

Claret
20th March 2008, 08:09 PM
Are the ressies playing this week?

Damien
20th March 2008, 08:11 PM
Are the ressies playing this week?

Week off.

They start off next Sunday (pre PA match)

Claret
20th March 2008, 08:20 PM
Week off.

They start off next Sunday (pre PA match)

Cheers

BigD
20th March 2008, 08:23 PM
Good to see some of the young Bloods get a first up start. Hopefully Barlow might get a run as I've been impressed with what I've seen of him thus far.

As far as the umps go, as long we don't have "The Beak" (i.e McLaren), I'm happy.

Nico
20th March 2008, 08:55 PM
I'd put McVeigh forward and maybe move Bird or Jude to the wing.

Jude on the wing, you're joking. You need speed and an ability to deliver, on both criteria he fails. Yes he can be put on the wing, on level 3 drinking beer with the fans.

Legs Akimbo
20th March 2008, 09:28 PM
Jude on the wing, you're joking. You need speed and an ability to deliver, on both criteria he fails. Yes he can be put on the wing, on level 3 drinking beer with the fans.

Only forwards and backs play to position nowdays. Being named on the wing basically being playing anywhere form backpocket to forward pocket rotating off the bench.

swansrule100
20th March 2008, 09:39 PM
barlow not being in annoys me almost as much as bevan still in.

BSA5
20th March 2008, 10:03 PM
I think Barlow might play for two reasons . . .

Paul Roos:

5 = Bird, Moore, Jack, Grundy plus Barlow??

1 new one = Mattner

This is assuming that the 1 who hasn't played wasn't counted twice by Roos.

The second reason is that an email that just came through from the Swans themselves stated that the player to watch was . . . . Ed Barlow.

Gee I hope you're right. I had him in my SuperCoach and DreamTeam sides, and didn't have time to switch him out before lockdown, since both websites were moving at snail's pace. And yep, none of my emergencies were defenders. Grrrr.

ROK Lobster
20th March 2008, 10:07 PM
Jude on the wing, you're joking. You need speed and an ability to deliver, on both criteria he fails. Yes he can be put on the wing, on level 3 drinking beer with the fans.He wouldn't get picked there Nico. Would not even get a place on the rookie llist

Robbo
20th March 2008, 11:54 PM
Just another thing, why is Mattner playing in the back pocket? He hates playing there.

Mike_B
21st March 2008, 12:16 AM
All this discussion of the way the team is named just goes to show that they should just list the players 1-22/25 in alphabetical order. The "positions" when they are named are absolutely meaningless.

So why bother asking why a player is named in a particular position when this is the case?

Robbo
21st March 2008, 12:28 AM
I wouldn't say it's completely meaningless.

Triple B
21st March 2008, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't say it's completely meaningless.

OK, maybe not completely, how about 'just about' meaningless.

Who gives a toss where they are named. The backline especially, they all have players to pick up and if Mattners man wanders down to the forward pocket for the first bounce, you can bet your ass that Mattner will start the game in the back pocket. The runner might be out within 30 secs of bouncedown to move him, but he'll start there.

goswannie14
21st March 2008, 07:21 AM
I wouldn't say it's completely meaningless. No, the list names 25 players (inc 3 emerg) so at least we know who will be playing. The positions as BBB said, are next to meaningless.

connolly
21st March 2008, 08:20 AM
And who will play on Milne?

I think if Schneider will play on the wing, perhaps Mattner can mind him.

Jack will take the ferret, Mattner will run off Scnieder and annihalate him as usual as Thomas the Tank Engine falls away after the first twenty minutes due to appalling lack of fitness and general disinterest. Of course the tenacity and youth of Bevo (23) will hound the ancient creaking frame of Harvey (surely at least 52) onto the fringes of the game and eventually the bench.

connolly
21st March 2008, 08:35 AM

Bring it on I say. Actually Bevo is Mathews replacement. If Bevo fails to deliver on his enormous potential (hard to believe) or is injured Benny is back in. However this is Benny's swan song year and Bevo will play more as a defensive midfielder with Jack taking the small forward. They will alternate between midfield and defense depending on the match ups. Great to see two Sydney western suburbs rugby league family kids as regulars in team. They are an important part of our future.