PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 - Port Adelaide

Cheer Squad
24th March 2008, 07:18 PM
Time to start focusing on next Sunday. This is an important game that we must win, especially with Brisbane at the Gabba, West Coast at ANZ Stadium, Geelong at Skilled Stadium, and the Kangaroos at Telstra Dome all to follow. Port's last win at the SCG was Round 2, 2006 and they were competitive against Geelong last Thursday.

desredandwhite
24th March 2008, 07:29 PM
I'll say it now - I'm not super confident. I think we have got enough talent to win our fair share of games this year, but I'm not sure we can make a 300% improvement on skills and decision making from last week that would be required to beat Port.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not sure we can turn it around that quickly.

NMWBloods
24th March 2008, 07:30 PM
I hope we kick a decent haul of goals - at least 15 preferably. Excluding games against the 3 crap teams, we've done that only 3 times in the past 20 games!

Robbo
24th March 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm quietly confident. We match up pretty well and our style doesn't suit them.

I think we will win by about 3 goals.

Big Al
24th March 2008, 07:36 PM
I hope we kick a decent haul of goals - at least 15 preferably. Excluding games against the 3 crap teams, we've done that only 3 times in the past 20 games!

I think we'll win but I think it will be with 10-12 goals.

Big Al
24th March 2008, 07:40 PM
Yep the real Swan supporters say we will win,but the bandwagoners say we will lose.

Hey Swantastic, I'm tipping the Swans this week. Does this mean I'm off the bandwagon?;)

NMWBloods
24th March 2008, 07:44 PM
I think we'll win but I think it will be with 10-12 goals.
That's what I expect too, but that doesn't augur well for the future. I don't think low-scoring strategies are the way of the future.

Big Al
24th March 2008, 07:46 PM
That's what I expect too, but that doesn't augur well for the future. I don't think low-scoring strategies are the way of the future.

Fully agree. Looking at the games on the weekend it's the teams that moved the ball quickly into their forward lines that not only won but created attractive footy. (edit: excluding the Saints of course)

Robbo
24th March 2008, 07:50 PM
So what do we think about team changes?

ScottH
24th March 2008, 08:06 PM
So what do we think about team changes?
Barlow in for Ablett. He appeared to injure his knee on Sat nite.

TheMase
24th March 2008, 08:12 PM
Barlow in for Ablett. He appeared to injure his knee on Sat nite.

I hate to say it, but you can almost guarantee it will be Matthews for Ablett :frown

swansrule100
24th March 2008, 08:17 PM
id like to see goodes play in the ruck his knee isnt going to fall off surely.

Im tempted to go in with the same team except bevan out for barlow. Unless spida is somehow ready to go.

Tell them to forget round one and go out there and make amends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwMy7b9yrM

Play more like this!!

bandwagon
24th March 2008, 08:24 PM
I'd love to see some support for Jolly in the ruck - I'm very worried what Brogan/Lade may do. Other than that I'd give everyone another go, and see if they can shake off their round 1 cobwebs.

573v30
24th March 2008, 08:25 PM
The Swans match up well against the Power. Roos' often maligned style has hurt Port in the past, hopefully Goodes can get back to his best and the likes of Hall and MOL kick goals.

Swans by 22 points.

daggersworth
24th March 2008, 08:42 PM
id like to see goodes play in the ruck his knee isnt going to fall off surely.

Im tempted to go in with the same team except bevan out for barlow. Unless spida is somehow ready to go.

Tell them to forget round one and go out there and make amends

YouTube - 2003 QF - Port Adelaide vs. Sydney - The Great Upset (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwMy7b9yrM)

Play more like this!!

I still have the newspaper clipping from that game, where cressa his pointing to the guernsey!

It also highlights that we never successfully replaced Maxfield, Williams or Cressfield.

ash3
24th March 2008, 09:54 PM
I'm thinking we should win this game by 30+ points.

I blame the scrappy football played on Saturday night on St Kilda's flooding.

Swans skills were down, but I would discount abit of that to 1st round gitters. (and alot of young blokes having a run)

If the swans start running the ball off the backline like I saw in glimses on Saturday night, they should have port covered on the smaller SCG

hudsta
24th March 2008, 10:39 PM
Swans skills were down, but I would discount abit of that to 1st round gitters. (and alot of young blokes having a run)

The swans have poor skills early on in the season. I expect a big improvement in Kirk, Goodes and J Bolton and that is why we will win

DeadlyAkkuret
24th March 2008, 10:43 PM
Big factors in that 2003 QF were a young & happy Bazza, Maxfield and Williams were in the side, and things were fresh! We actually had flair, took risks, and looked like we were enjoying it. Sadly, we've become stale and that's why the youngsters MUST be played.

Barlow needs to come in, probably at the expense of Grundy, and Bevo needs to go but he'll probably be given a captaincy role instead. Another option would be to replace Grundy with White, and Bevo with Barlow, and just make a few positional changes.

Let's not forget though, that we have Eski and Thornton to add to this team next year (Eski maybe this year), and prospects like Murphy, Vez and O'Dwyer in the wings. Our future isn't a blackhole, but some smart coaching wouldn't hurt!

One final thing. Can we get rid of Longy? He should never be our senior coach, because we'll be stuck with the same staleness even after Roos is gone. When the time comes, bring in someone NEW, someone with an attacking mindset. Thank you!

...Oh, and Sydney by 27

BSA5
24th March 2008, 10:56 PM
I'd like to see Roos chuck Currie in, if he doesn't think White is cut out to be a genuine ruckman. I know, ruckmen almost always need a lot of time to develop, but I don't reckon it would hurt. Just chuck Currie in for a game and see how he goes, I reckon. If he does well, fantastic. If he doesn't, well, that will be cancelled out by the fact that LRT will be playing in position. Everitt will most likely be playing round 3, right? So there's no pressure on the kid. Whether he does well or not, he knows that the next round he'll be back in Canberra. I reckon that would be very liberating.

Anyway, I reckon Swans in a close one.

swantastic
24th March 2008, 10:58 PM
I hope we kick a decent haul of goals - at least 15 preferably. Excluding games against the 3 crap teams, we've done that only 3 times in the past 20 games!If we kick 15 goals NMW i will buy you a couple if beers(your choice of course) at the next melbourne game either before the game at the pub or at the game.

swantastic
24th March 2008, 11:01 PM
Time to start focusing on next Sunday. This is an important game that we must win, especially with Brisbane at the Gabba, West Coast at ANZ Stadium, Geelong at Skilled Stadium, and the Kangaroos at Telstra Dome all to follow. Port's last win at the SCG was Round 2, 2006 and they were competitive against Geelong last Thursday.and we were shocking in that game too and from memory wasnt that the first time the Premiers flag was walked around the SCG?

shaun..
24th March 2008, 11:50 PM
Yep, not a happy homecoming!

shaun..
24th March 2008, 11:53 PM
I still have the newspaper clipping from that game, where cressa his pointing to the guernsey!

It also highlights that we never successfully replaced Maxfield, Williams or Cressfield.

Wow a mix of Maxfield and Cresswell! That would be handy..

Back on topic, Swans by 14

hammo
25th March 2008, 11:10 AM
One final thing. Can we get rid of Longy? He should never be our senior coach, because we'll be stuck with the same staleness even after Roos is gone. When the time comes, bring in someone NEW, someone with an attacking mindset.
Have to agree DA. Longmire was an effective forwards coach, as you'd expect, and this contributed greatly to the flag in '05. The work he did has probably become more apparent considering how dysfunctional our forward line has mostly been since.

We'll never understand exactly what the assistants do, but if you judge a coach's performance according to onfield results, you'd have to say he was an ordinary midfield coach. Let's hope his gameday nous really is something Roos can put his faith in.

Plugger46
25th March 2008, 12:21 PM
Pretty confident we'll get the job done. 3 or 4 goals I reckon.

Cheer Squad
27th March 2008, 08:53 PM
We seem quite confident we're going to win on Sunday. The Power seem a bit more wary of us...

Official AFL Website of the Port Adelaide Football Club > News Article > Match preview: Port Adelaide v Sydney Swans (http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/tabid/6038/Default.aspx?newsid=56929)

Bas
27th March 2008, 10:09 PM
We seem quite confident we're going to win on Sunday. The Power seem a bit more wary of us...

Official AFL Website of the Port Adelaide Football Club > News Article > Match preview: Port Adelaide v Sydney Swans (http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/tabid/6038/Default.aspx?newsid=56929)

What would they know, they're south australians!

Csorten, I mean Cornes to pull Goodes pants down and Tredrea to kick 12.

PS. The real hilight will be my son playing Auskick at halftime for the Gosford Tigers. I have been appointed to be goal umpire AND GET TO WEAR THE WHITE COAT!!!!!!!!!!

Swans by 14

swantastic
28th March 2008, 06:17 AM
Darren Jolly vs Brendan Lade: Jolly will once again be up against it in the ruck against Lade. Lade had 26 possessions, kicked two goals and had 29 hitoutsWell Jolly better get his skates on and run with Lade this week.26 posessions..WTF..If only Jolly could do that.

connolly
28th March 2008, 10:22 AM
Interesting that most of the "experts" are tipping us - except Glen Archer and Julia Gilliard. Bossy boots couldn't pick her nose but Arch is a worry

floppinab
28th March 2008, 10:35 AM
Well Jolly better get his skates on and run with Lade this week.26 posessions..WTF..If only Jolly could do that.

Won't have as much room to move on the SCG though. Can't see this game being close, Port are very hot and cold, will be either them or us by 25+.

Nothing to read in the teams at this stage

Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans > News Article > Round 2 Team Named (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsId=56961)

other than there'll be nothing new in the ruck setup compared to last week.

Interesting there seems to be plenty of ticks available to Sundays game. Haven't signed up for Membership this year so looks like ticks won't be so difficult to get hold of for SCG games.

swantastic
28th March 2008, 12:35 PM
Won't have as much room to move on the SCG though. Can't see this game being close, Port are very hot and cold, will be either them or us by 25+.

Nothing to read in the teams at this stage

Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans > News Article > Round 2 Team Named (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsId=56961)

other than there'll be nothing new in the ruck setup compared to last week.

Interesting there seems to be plenty of ticks available to Sundays game. [b]Haven't signed up for Membership this year so looks like ticks won't be so difficult to get hold of for SCG games.Not a real Swans supporter.

desredandwhite
30th March 2008, 05:59 PM
I'll say it now - I'm not super confident. I think we have got enough talent to win our fair share of games this year, but I'm not sure we can make a 300% improvement on skills and decision making from last week that would be required to beat Port.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not sure we can turn it around that quickly.

Haha, colour me pleasantly surprised!!

Love it! :)

Cheer Squad
30th March 2008, 06:44 PM
Well done to ash3 and Bloody Hell for picking the result. At least this week the majority got the result right. :)

RogueSwan
1st April 2008, 08:40 AM

:eek: Well predicted (me speak good english)

AnnieH
1st April 2008, 10:32 AM
If we kick 15 goals NMW i will buy you a couple if beers(your choice of course) at the next melbourne game either before the game at the pub or at the game.

NMW ... I would go for the most expensive beer you can find, and order them two and a time.

NMWBloods
1st April 2008, 10:33 AM
I thought that during the game! :)

ScottH
1st April 2008, 12:25 PM
I'm NMW!!

NMWBloods
1st April 2008, 12:26 PM
I'm NMW!!
Go away Spartacus!