PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Libba!

NiMrOd
27th August 2003, 09:53 AM
Libba Strikes Back

FORMER Western Bulldogs tagger Tony Liberatore yesterday hit back at comments made by his long-time opponent and Sydney legend Paul Kelly in yesterday's Daily Telegraph.

Liberatore - Kelly was no icon of the game.

Liberatore was incensed after Kelly compared him to Collingwood's Brodie Holland - who last night was suspended for two matches for striking Swans' Paul Williams in Saturday night's match at Telstra Stadium.

"Paul Kelly was no icon of the game, believe me," Liberatore said.

"Paul Kelly didn't play for the Sydney Swans, he played for Paul Kelly. And I could tell you there's a lot of things he did on the footy ground that I don't think he would be very proud of, either."

In yesterday's article, an unnamed Swans player and Kelly said taggers were a blight on the game. Kelly said to be labelled the new Libba, as Holland had been, should force a player to rethink his football.

But in response, Liberatore, who retired from the Bulldogs last year, said he would ring the Swans and ask for Kelly's phone number.

"I'm really disappointed with Paul Kelly," he said. "I find it childish, very poor on his behalf.

"What grudge he's got against me I don't know because last time I spoke to him he treated me OK, we had a chat, probably on Brownlow night.

"I find it very odd why he would bring it up? Is he jealous of Sydney's success (because) he's not playing footy? I don't know."

In comments that will floor the Swans, Liberatore said Kelly didn't deserve champion status.

"The word champion is really loosely used these days and he certainly wasn't a champion," he said.

"I certainly don't classify myself as a champion player, either. Yeah, sure we both won a Brownlow and you have some great years, but in my opinion there are only a few true champions of the game."

Liberatore also defended Holland's role as a lock-down player, saying: "I don't condone what he's done, but good on Brodie Holland for putting his hand up and saying, 'Yeah, I will change'. He might've been struggling a bit as a forward player and now Mick Malthouse is using him as a run-with player. Good on him."

Holland will miss Friday night's vital game against Essendon and also Collingwood's first final.

It was a solid punch to the face of Williams - who was looking away at the time - some 50 metres off the ball and was the Magpie's second striking charge this season.

Holland pleaded guilty under provocation, with Magpies advocate Sean Carroll claiming Williams had struck Holland first with a "jumper punch" to the face.

The tribunal found that Holland's retaliation was "out of all proportion to what preceded it".

The Liberatore-Kelly battle began in the mid-90s and reached its zenith in 1997 when Liberatore tagged Kelly in a game at Optus Oval. Kelly left the field amid allegations of scratching.

In the return match, at the SCG, Kelly towelled Libba as the Swans won by 15 goals.

"They killed us that day," Liberatore said yesterday. "He beat me, but I could tell he didn't enjoy the win. What was more important to him was Paul Kelly playing well."

Also last night, Fremantle forward Paul Medhurst was cleared of kicking Essendon's Danny Jacobs.

Herald Sun

The great Paul Kelly not a champion? I cant beleive this fool.... he must have sustained one to many knocks to the head.

TheHood
27th August 2003, 10:03 AM
He's got a few more knocks on the head coming if he doesn't stop mouthing off the Champ.

I read that and laughed. I think you're alone on this one Libba!

As for the goons down at Footsgay defending Libba, why don't they talk to Knighter and the others that have ended up bleeding after a match with Libba in close check.

Libba has a trail of destruction over his career, how can he possibly think that this would just disappear when he retired. If he wants us to forget, how about we forget his Brownlow and Morrish medals too?

BAM_BAM
27th August 2003, 10:49 AM
Sorry what was that Libba, stand up I can't hear you. Oh you are standing ......

enough said.

dawson
27th August 2003, 11:47 AM
The media love this as it fills the pages during the week when they have nothing else to run with.

It becomes like a tennis match. Libba has served with Kelly now to serve - new balls please.

Which of Kelly or Libba or both to appear on the Footy Show?

NiMrOd
27th August 2003, 12:03 PM
You would think that the week before the last round of the season and only really 2 weeks away from finals that the paper would have something better to report on than that washed-up dickhead who did nothing but disgrace himself on the field during his last few years as a player.

Maybe he's jealous that Kelly has just had the race at the SGC named after him and that the swans fans have not simply forgotten him.

Rob-bloods
27th August 2003, 12:06 PM
Do not dignify the drongo, he reinvented himself under Terry W into a clawing little nark/tagger. His comments on Kelly speak for themselves???the little man is a fool!

Mike_B
27th August 2003, 12:23 PM
I guess he missed the Swans TOTC announcement. Named VC ahead of modern-day champions such as Healy, Williams etc (I name the modern day players because you can compare to those).

I suppose that he thinks these guys aren't champions either?

Grow up Libba!!!

CureTheSane
27th August 2003, 02:41 PM
I am so glad Kelly still hates that dirty little piece of ****.....

swan_song
27th August 2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
I am so glad Kelly still hates that dirty little piece of ****.....

LOL...now tell us what you REALLY think about that dirty little piece of ****:D

scurrilous
27th August 2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
Sorry what was that Libba, stand up I can't hear you. Oh you are standing ......

enough said.
rofl. Spot on BB. definitely a case of "small man syndrome"

CureTheSane
27th August 2003, 05:23 PM
OK, I %@$#ing hate the %#$@

He should have had his Brownlow stripped from him the way he played the game.

ask my kids about the Bulldogs, and they'll say "The DIRTY DOGS?!!??! We hate the Dirty Dogs, they scratch!!!"

:D

GoBloods
27th August 2003, 05:26 PM
what a sour little man ! i think the envy is obvious. If libba were half the player kel was , he would have been a champion

robbieando
27th August 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
that dirty little piece of ****.....

Come on thats a bit mean on a piece of ****, Libba's even lower than ****

Nico
27th August 2003, 06:07 PM
A bloody mind reader too. He could tell Kelly wasn't enjoy a massive win!!!!!!!!!!. Oh spare me. What a little twerp.

Fancy any club admin reading that article and then him ringing up applying for a coaching position. They would just file his application in the appropriate place. How Hawthorn fell the little tosser is a mystery.

Imagine the dirty tactics he would employ.

Dismiss this little s*** for brains to the footy wilderness.

Nico
27th August 2003, 06:09 PM
More appropriately, he should have his Brownlow shoved up his clacker.

neored
27th August 2003, 06:30 PM
Some of you are very catty aren't you?

In the end Libba has a right to respond to Kelly's slandering. There was no reason to bring up previous incidents in reference to the Holland case.

Not to mention that Kelly breached AFL rules in speaking on the case before it was even heard. It'll be interesting to see if he receives a please explain by Greekmetriou.

liz
27th August 2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by neored
Some of you are very catty aren't you?

In the end Libba has a right to respond to Kelly's slandering. There was no reason to bring up previous incidents in reference to the Holland case.

Not to mention that Kelly breached AFL rules in speaking on the case before it was even heard. It'll be interesting to see if he receives a please explain by Greekmetriou.

We're entitled to be - this is a Swans' board after all and Kel is an icon in our eyes, if no-one elses.

To be honest, I don't think Kelly's comments reflect that well on him but I have no idea of the context in which they were said. Did he volunteer them or did someone come looking for a story? And if he has broken the AFL rules he should have to answer to it and may cop a fine.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that some of Libba's comments about Kel just playing for himself and not being a champion just make Libba look plain daft.

neored
27th August 2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by lizz
We're entitled to be - this is a Swans' board after all and Kel is an icon in our eyes, if no-one elses.

To be honest, I don't think Kelly's comments reflect that well on him but I have no idea of the context in which they were said. Did he volunteer them or did someone come looking for a story? And if he has broken the AFL rules he should have to answer to it and may cop a fine.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that some of Libba's comments about Kel just playing for himself and not being a champion just make Libba look plain daft.

Libba reacted as most humans do when people cast aspersions, that is they react in an equally irrational manner.

Damien
27th August 2003, 10:09 PM
the only stories I read named a "Swans Source", they didn't quote Kelly, only referred to previous incidents that involved him. But then again I have problems reading the paper a week following a lost!!!.

Dave
27th August 2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by neored
Libba reacted as most humans do when people cast aspersions, that is they react in an equally irrational manner.

Maybe, but he is still a dirty little @@@@@@!

May I just add that it is a nice change from that magpie scum to read your posts Neored.
At least you can debate a point in a balanced way.
Last week was feral! :p

footyhead
28th August 2003, 07:26 AM
I think this whole thing has been orchastarted by the Liptom tea company who apparently want to do a re-run of their famous advertizment starring Kelly and Libba !
It all just goes to show in footy, some old rivalries die hard.

swan_song
28th August 2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Nico
More appropriately, he should have his Brownlow shoved up his clacker.

Maybe we could convince Hoppa to have a go!:D