PDA

View Full Version : Umps ruining the spectacle of the contested mark.

cruiser
3rd April 2008, 06:30 AM
I totally agree with Richard Hinds' comments in this article. There is now way too much whistle blowing intervention in our game. 69 free kicks in our game against Port risked reducing the game to a technical bore worse than Union (thankfully Sydney played so well that it wasnt a bore for any Swans fans)

Rules destroys marking spectacle - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/marking-spectacle-destroyed/2008/04/02/1206851012513.html)

Legs Akimbo
3rd April 2008, 06:33 AM
I think 99% of supporters and club officials would agree. Unfortunately, those that don't agree, are those making the decisions.

Jewels
3rd April 2008, 09:59 AM
Whenever a mark is taken lately, I look straight to the ump to see who is going to get the free. It's a joke and shouldn't be this way.

dimelb
3rd April 2008, 11:29 AM
I wonder whether the umps themselves are happy with what they are being forced to do. They're certainly not allowed to say so.

hammo
3rd April 2008, 12:34 PM
I wonder whether the umps themselves are happy with what they are being forced to do. They're certainly not allowed to say so.
I'm sure the meglomaniacs amongst them are simply pleased to be the centre of attention.

Chow-Chicker
3rd April 2008, 08:00 PM
If stupidity has awards then the AFL gets the gold medal. Never in the history of stupidity have the rules of our fine game been stupider. When I watch or go to games with friends from different countries I am embarrassed trying to explain these dumb stupid rules. ?Why did he get a free kick?? ?Oh the other player touched his back with his hand.? Confounded look. ?Huh??

Just out of interest, how many rule changes have been introduced in Soccer or Rugby in the last 5 years?

DeadlyAkkuret
3rd April 2008, 08:29 PM
If stupidity has awards then the AFL gets the gold medal. Never in the history of stupidity have the rules of our fine game been stupider.When I watch or go to games with friends from different countries I am embarrassed trying to explain these dumb stupid rules. ?Why did he get a free kick?? ?Oh the other player touched his back with his hand.? Confounded look. ?Huh??

Just out of interest, how many rule changes have been introduced in Soccer or Rugby in the last 5 years?

Lmao! That's one reason I don't want to take my girlfriend to a game of Aussie Rules, I think she'd enjoy it but I'd feel embarrassed to explain some of the soft rules we now have in place. (She's Latin American)

I'd be cringing as I try to make sense of the touching the back rule:o