PDA

View Full Version : More SCG games!

DeadlyAkkuret
7th April 2008, 03:00 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I really don't like the ANZ Stadium fixtures, and it doesn't really feel like we have the home ground advantage when we play there.

Imagine if we had the Eagles at the SCG instead? You could almost mark it down as a certainty, and the same applies to Collingwood games, but we all know that wont change because they bring in the big dollaz.

Did we sign a contract that means we must play a particular ammount of games there? What's the deal?

Cheer Squad mbr
7th April 2008, 03:03 PM
The "big games" will almost always be played at ANZ.

CJK
7th April 2008, 03:03 PM
Contracted to play more games if x average attendance is reached at Olympia.

Happened last season, contract has kicked in.

I'm with you - more SCG FTW

I can't walk to Olympia. Rubbish

annew
7th April 2008, 03:19 PM
Yep I'm with you I hate games at Homebush but go because I can't bear to miss watching a game. I want 11 games at the SCG and none at Homebush.

goswannie14
7th April 2008, 03:32 PM
As a Vic based member with no affiliation to either ground, I have to say my experience of ANZ stadium has been far superior to going to the SCG. ANZ is better for viewing, better facilities, better to get to and from on public transport.

However, this thread is about home ground advantage, I think that in the last few years, the SCG has suited the style of play, but as the quicker, more open style takes precedence, ANZ seems to suit that style much better. I guess I can understand the concerns about advantages to the Swans at the SCG, but prefer ANZ to watch a game at.

Zlatorog
7th April 2008, 03:37 PM
Oh, no, another CSG vs Olympic thread.:eek:
ANZ is definitely better in terms of facilites and transport. Also the ground is bigger, but the atmosphere is better at the SCG. If you can't pack Olynpic with people it is very hard to get the right atmosphere out of it.

BSA5
7th April 2008, 03:48 PM
I don't like ANZ Stadium. It just isn't as... footy-ish. It doesn't have the same atmosphere, you end up miles away from the action, unless you're really lucky, and it's just.... ugly. I MUCH prefer the SCG. It's also much easier to get to the SCG, for me at least.

Although people complaining about home-ground advantages, take a look at our recent record there. I'm pretty sure, from memory, we win there more than we win at the SCG.

CJK
7th April 2008, 03:50 PM
Olympia stop selling beer just after 3/4 time.

'nuff said.

DST
7th April 2008, 03:58 PM
Unless they knock down most of the SCG and rebuild it to 60,000 with better corporate facilities then we are going to need ANZ Stadium going forward to continue building the club to compete with the likes of Adelaide, West Coast and Collingwood.

It now costs somewhere around $30 million a year to put a team out on the park and run the club, that could be $50 million within the next 20 years.

Where is that money going to come from, especially if there is a second team in Sydney competing for sponsorship, corporate and member dollars.

DST
:D

ernie koala
7th April 2008, 04:08 PM
Olympia is a big fat dud. The seating is so far away from the action you need binoculars to see the players, it has no atmosphere, and no homeground feel, and therefore no homeground advantage.
Hopefully when the 'west sydney whoevers' join the comp, we'll revert back to nearly all home games at the SCG, a fabulous ground for watching, hard for opposition teams, fantastic atmosphere with anything over 25k. And when the new stand is finished, it'll be even better.

Mel
7th April 2008, 04:23 PM
I live closer to Homebush but still prefer the SCG. The atmosphere is better there, although if you get 60K+ at Homebush the vibe is better.

Is there really a home-ground advantage at either of the Sydney grounds anymore? I don't think it's like it use to be.

mcs
7th April 2008, 04:47 PM
I dont like watching footy that much at ANZ (Although 4 of the 5 games Im going to get to in Sydney this year will be there) but gee its a breeze to get in and out transport wise. You are a long way from the action in a lot of seats (I always sit only a couple of rows back in the members reserve so its usually ok) and the atmosphere is average at best. When its jammed pack ANZ can be brilliant ie the Socceroos qualifier, the atmosphere was absolutely unbelievable, but even with 60000+ it can feel very dead.
SCG is a pain to get to and get away from, but atmosphere is very good.

Answering your point Mel I think the idea of a home advantage isnt what it use to be, but definetly the SCG gives that more to us then ANZ. For the size of the ground makes life difficult for a lot of teams to play on compared to other grounds. If it wasnt for the seating constraint, Id love us to if we made it to the finals this year and got a home final (long way off), see us play it at the SCG if it suited- ie against a team like Collingwood where it would suit us far more then playing at ANZ to counter their style. Its never going to happen but that is the way the game has gone, and in the end its all about the $$$.

Dont really care where the game is this weekend though, just looking forward to my 1st match in 08 and hopefully we can smash those Egos as well!

Dogberry
7th April 2008, 05:11 PM
ANZ is definitely better in terms of facilites and transport. Also the ground is bigger, but the atmosphere is better at the SCG.

It really depends on where you live regarding transport. Games at SCG allow me to park at Goulburn Street Car Park free, go to ChinaTown for something to eat before I take the shuttle bus to the SCG or even walk up there to keep fit.

Homebush games for me always seem to involve a bit of travel on the train, which I don't enjoy, or long wait to get out of Olympic Park if I drive my car with pre-booked parking.

I also like SCG a bit more with the ambiance, especially for Sunday afternoon games, it just feel a bit more relax with kids running around and very "therapeutic" from the hectic week.

shaun..
7th April 2008, 05:59 PM
Yep it's better to kick the sherrin on a Sunday arvo, even Bazza knows that.

Margie
7th April 2008, 06:29 PM
I know this thread is brought up each year, but I still class Homebush as a concrete jungle in the middle of nowhere. It's unsuitable for AFL and in the Members Reserve area, part of the ground is unsighted.

The SCG on a sunny afternoon, with it's great atmosphere, outdoor eating areas and the close proximity to play is hard to beat. And we definitely have a home advantage there.

ScottH
7th April 2008, 08:16 PM
Yep. More games at the 'G!!!

The MCG!!! :D

stellation
7th April 2008, 08:48 PM
The brown jacket could do with a few more outings.

ScottH
7th April 2008, 08:51 PM
The brown jacket could do with a few more outings.

Preferably with me in it!!

Cheer Squad
7th April 2008, 08:53 PM
Here's a link concerning the number of people who have visited Telstra/ANZ Stadium since we started playing there in 2002. The average attendance over those 18 home-and-away games is 47,357. The average finals attendance there has been 57,558. I can't see how drawing crowds like this is bad for the club. Also our winning percentage at Telstra/ANZ Stadium is 66%. Based on these figures we would be better off with fewer games at the SCG, which would have to be the least suitable venue for AFL anywhere.

Swans put fan competition on hold - Real Footy - Breaking News (http://news.realfooty.com.au/swans-put-fan-competition-on-hold/20080407-24cb.html)

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th April 2008, 10:30 PM
Yep I'm with you I hate games at Homebush but go because I can't bear to miss watching a game. I want 11 games at the SCG and none at Homebush.

Then we agree to disagree. The new stand at the SCG in my view will be a mere bandaid solution to a ground that is well past its used by date in terms of amenities for players & fans. Hell, some people in the far corner next to the Bill O'Reilly will not even be able to see some of the game FFS!:eek: :rolleyes:

You only have to go to the Gabba to see how much better it is as a football venue than the SCG. Food outlets with well-managed queues outside EVERY bay. Toilets at either side of EACH bay. A bar every bay or 2. Seats high up in the stand that are still right on top of the action.

I know we have a decided advantage playing on the SCG given the size of the wings on the ground as well as the complete lack of pockets in the forward line. But the fact remains for spectators the SCG is a nightmare & potentially a deathtrap.

Forza Homebush! It brings in the crowds from all over town, not just the Paddington cafe set. ;)

JF

blinddog
7th April 2008, 10:39 PM
look as a well documented hater of the Olympic Stadium - I still want answered where is the after match function for Swans full members. I seem to be getting 1 less after match this year than previously but am paying the same amount

goswannie14
7th April 2008, 10:41 PM
look as a well documented hater of the Olympic Stadium - I still want answered where is the after match function for Swans full members. I seem to be getting 1 less after match this year than previously but am paying the same amountHave you asked the club? If not, then you won't get an answer on here.

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th April 2008, 10:50 PM
Have you asked the club? If not, then you won't get an answer on here.

That ain't true. I know as a fact the club does read RWO daily & uses it as a litmus test as to what Swans fans are thinking (scary I know:eek: )

I know that the club DID send out emails to all members re a mailing house stuff-up when people had not received their memberships as a DIRECT result of people stressing openly on these forums.

Keep putting ideas forward & making constructive criticisms. It means everyone is kept on their toes & we get a better club as a result.

The Homebush after-match situation is one that unfortunately HAS been left on the back-burner for a few seasons now. Things did go from the sublime to the ridiculous when they had it in a corridor upstairs in the Eastern Stand.

Maybe they could run buses to-from Club Swans & have one back there? If they did, would any of you bother going?

JF

blinddog
7th April 2008, 10:58 PM
Things did go from the sublime to the ridiculous when they had it in a corridor upstairs in the Eastern Stand.
JF

I remember that - it was a joke. The main problem I see is that the trains stop soon after the games finish, so you can't hang around that long - unlike the SCG.

Also if the average Olympic Stadium home and away attendance is 47,357 (from above) and the SCG capacity is being boosted in size, could we not have more games back at the SCG

mcs
8th April 2008, 12:42 AM
blinddog you have to remember that that is an average home and away attendance which includes the earlier years of matches at Telstra where there were overall lower crowds. Can anyone give the average figure for say the last two years. I went to all 3 telstra games last year, and if I remember all 3 (or at least definetly west coke and The Pies) were 60000+. Those extra 15000-20000 people I guess are going to make plenty of extra cash for the club, which can only be a good thing. Saying all that, I dont in any way prefer ANZ over telstra to watch footy at. But it does have its advantages.

Will be interesting to see the crowd on Saturday, I reckon will be about 60-65000 again should the weather be alright.

goswannie14
8th April 2008, 06:06 AM
blinddog you have to remember that that is an average home and away attendance which includes the earlier years of matches at Telstra where there were overall lower crowds. Can anyone give the average figure for say the last two years. I went to all 3 telstra games last year, and if I remember all 3 (or at least definetly west coke and The Pies) were 60000+. Those extra 15000-20000 people I guess are going to make plenty of extra cash for the club, which can only be a good thing. Saying all that, I dont in any way prefer ANZ over telstra to watch footy at. But it does have its advantages.

Will be interesting to see the crowd on Saturday, I reckon will be about 60-65000 again should the weather be alright.I went to the St Kilda game and there were 63,000 there.

goswannie14
8th April 2008, 06:08 AM
That ain't true. I know as a fact the club does read RWO daily & uses it as a litmus test as to what Swans fans are thinking (scary I know:eek: )That's not what I was saying JF. I was suggesting that if you are serious about getting a quick answer to the question posed it would be quicker to contact the club, not do it via a forum hoping they would read it.

DST
8th April 2008, 02:27 PM
Also if the average Olympic Stadium home and away attendance is 47,357 (from above) and the SCG capacity is being boosted in size, could we not have more games back at the SCG

No, because you can't just compare average crowd sizes due to the members area at the SCG which precludes the club growing it's membership base and one off walk up paying customers.

Not to mention the better corporate facilities at ANZ stadium which the club makes better money out of.

In order for the club to even consider moving more games back to the SCG it would take a capacity somewhere around 60,000 (with all the extra seats going to swans members and walk-ups not SCG members) and a total re-do or all stands to accomodate more sponsorship paying corporates.

DST
:D

JF_Bay22_SCG
8th April 2008, 10:07 PM
That's not what I was saying JF. I was suggesting that if you are serious about getting a quick answer to the question posed it would be quicker to contact the club, not do it via a forum hoping they would read it.

Mate, they read it. Every day. Trust me they do.;)

Hi Myles! :D

JF

j s
9th April 2008, 12:09 AM
Also the ground is bigger
Define "bigger"? It's longer but skinnier. The playing area is about the same

dawson
9th April 2008, 12:53 AM
The SCG has soul and charm. Paddington oozes character while the sterile Olympic precinct has none. But dollars will prevail over sense and unless the ground is given a major-major facelift it will always show its age.

blinddog
9th April 2008, 01:31 AM
I went to the St Kilda game and there were 63,000 there.

And how many of those 63k were there because of the breast cancer pink event (insert brand name /charity) and not the footy. If the games were so big at the white elephant where is the Marn Grook Trophy? All they are after is a publicity stunt, not the game.

hammo
9th April 2008, 12:55 PM
Until the SCG can hold more than 50,000 people there is no way our blockbusters will be moved away from Homebush Bay.

timthefish
9th April 2008, 01:15 PM
Until the SCG can hold more than 50,000 people there is no way our blockbusters will be moved away from Homebush Bay.

nor should they. it's in our interest that the club grows and can support more members.

JF_Bay22_SCG
9th April 2008, 05:50 PM
And how many of those 63k were there because of the breast cancer pink event (insert brand name /charity) and not the footy. If the games were so big at the white elephant where is the Marn Grook Trophy? All they are after is a publicity stunt, not the game.

Hoqw many of those at any Swans games are there because they are casual attendees & are going for a good night out; I'd say they make up over half our our 60000+ attendences at Homebush games especially. It is from these people we get new fanatics & club members.

Hell the club is evening targetting these people.

Young Bloods Membership (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/Membership/YoungBloods/tabid/10715/Default.aspx)

Why go to a Young Liberal convention when you can be involved with the Young Bloods & meet fellow young professional & talk about yourself AND work throughout the game. Swans=hip & trendy, Young Liberals=uncool these days. :o (Personally I'd like to bang my drum over the heads of everyone of these Young Bloods people. But my job is to make atmosphere NOT to generate revenue for the club. ;) )

The SCG limits these people from attending. Because they think they won't be able to get in (even though that is rubbish & there were seats everywhere against Port in the new stand).

JF