PDA

View Full Version : Forward set up vs Cats (and beyond)...

JudesaGun
13th April 2008, 10:35 AM
I know Roos will probably just rotate all day long through our forward line to cover Baz (LRT, Goodes, Barlow, Grundy, Davis, Spider etc etc), but how would you like for us to line up come the first bounce vs Cats.

Here's mine:

O'Loughlin Davis White/ Spider/ LRT

O'Keefe Barlow Moore

Obviously this would mean Davis and White or Spider to come in. I think Hall and Bevan will (should be ommitted).

TheGrimReaper
13th April 2008, 11:01 AM
I'm starting the Nick Davis at Full-Forward movement.

elroy67
13th April 2008, 12:41 PM
I think it would be a mistake to go too big with the forward line. Scarlett spent all day running off Gehrig yesterday. I would like to see O'Keefe spend a good deal of time up forward (and a good deal of goal kicking practice this week) to keep Scarlett occupied.

stellation
13th April 2008, 12:47 PM
I'm starting the Nick Davis at Full-Forward movement.
Nick started that movement quite some time ago himself ;)

daggersworth
13th April 2008, 12:56 PM
If Jesse does come in, it won't be in the forwards. He played in most of the game against Belconnen, though I'm not sure if that means Roosy wants to groom him as a defender.

I think Davis will come in, and move to full forward although, if Everitt is fit, I reckon put him at full forward (he's a pretty handy target) and leave LRT in the ruck (while Spider gets his match fitness back).

Ideally the forward line would look

HF: Moore - Grundy - O'Keefe

FF: Everitt - Davis - Micky O

With Ed Barlow, LRT as tall rotations and maybe Amon and Jarrad McVeigh as small rotations.

stellation
13th April 2008, 12:59 PM
I expect Davis to come in and play FF, if he doesn't after 13 goals in the magoos against the 2 best opponents now that Hall will be out for a long time then that really will verge on the need for some sort of drastic action (like stealing Roosy's bread rolls).
I don't expect him to actually be named at FF, of course.

barry
13th April 2008, 01:04 PM
Cheese played at CHF when Hall went off. Could be sign of things to come.

I wouldnt move MOL away from FF. But Goodes/Cheese/?? could play CHF.

Davis to definetly come in somewhere you'd think.

NMWBloods
13th April 2008, 01:05 PM
I think Barlow would make an excellent CHF (or CHB). He could be our equivalent of a Leppitsch.

stellation
13th April 2008, 01:10 PM
I don't want to see Barlow in the deep forward line too much, he looked to get in the way a bit last night (lead his man to contests that he was never a chance to compete in, ran across leading space). Young guy mistakes and I have no issue with them per se, but I'd be wary of relying on him playing too deep for too long.

I'd be happy to see him play CHF if Ryan plays off half forward. Has Ed played CHF much in the magoos?

Triple B
13th April 2008, 01:14 PM
Don't care where he plays, just get it to him inside 50 somehow.

Best set shot in the club, bar none, even Nick.

Jeffers1984
13th April 2008, 05:12 PM

Totally agree. Cheese has one of the best set shot techniques out there.

TheMase
13th April 2008, 06:10 PM
I was saying last night that I'd like to see Barlow get CHF at least for the next few weeks.

stellation
13th April 2008, 06:11 PM
Has he played at CHF in the reserves?

ugg
13th April 2008, 06:12 PM
Yes. Dead eye dick too.

Old Royboy
13th April 2008, 06:51 PM

You stole that line from me you bugger! I remember saying that in a ressies report last year.

But it makes very good sense. Cheese has kicked four or five goals and no points since debut.

DeadlyAkkuret
13th April 2008, 07:12 PM
He's a deadeye dick, Cheese.

BSA5
13th April 2008, 09:54 PM

:D

Barlow's position is in the forward line, no question. Whenever he goes there, he just looks dangerous. Somebody mentioned him getting in the way a bit, and yes, I think I noticed him do that once against the Eagles (he only really had time to do it once, as he spent so little time down there), but he is some fresh talent in a forward line that has become a little bit stagnant, which I think more than compensates. He is just so tough to match up on! Not to mention that he is our best kick in any situation, at least of the side out there at the moment. Possibly better than Eski as well.

I doubt Grundy will make it back this week, if he has stress fractures in his foot. Isn't that the injury that kept LRT out for most of last season? I reckon it will be a while before he is back in the side. I also think Brennan should be dropped after a less-than-inspiring performance (had a couple of good runs, but was otherwise not particularly damaging, and made a few terrible clangers). If he was young, then fine, give him another go, but his game was pretty typical of his games last year, and what I remember of his games at Hawthorn. He's 23 now, and should have stepped up by now, either at Hawthorn or the Swans. You can see why he was delisted from the Hawks. I don't think we should delist him, as his versatility means he is quite a good backup player in a pinch (I wouldn't object to always having him as an emergency, barring extreme drops in form), and he is still relatively young, and might yet develop.

So, that leaves two tall spots missing, in Hall and Brennan (who isn't really a tall at 185 cm, but he plays tall). I say move Barlow from the midfield to a permanent position in the forward line. That way we now need one tall and one midfielder. White to come in as the tall (unless Spida is ready, in which case White misses out), and either Vezspremi, Smith, Laidlaw (he is back, isn't he?) or Davis (in which case he would rotate with Barlow and/or O'Keefe between HF and the midfield). Davis would probably be my first choice of those players mentioned, as he just kicked 8 in the reserves, and, well, he has a pretty good record against the Catters! BUT, I have to admit, we have functioned very well without him. I also don't know how much Roos wants him to prove before coming back. I don't know if he played a team-oriented game in the reserves or not, but if he didn't, and played selfishly, and didn't work that hard, then Roos might still not name him. A couple of weeks ago I would have been spewing, but I have to admit, there is a reason I'm sitting here on my computer and Roos is up there in the coaches box. Err, I mean, on the bench. :o

Also, unless Roos decides to play Bevan as a permanent-ish forward, he should just be dropped. One good game on a day when every player played well, and the opposition didn't put up much fight, isn't (or at least, shouldn't be) enough to keep him in the side. When he is pushed forward, all of a sudden he finds the ball, and looks vaguely dangerous, but if he doesn't play most of the game there week in, week out, then he isn't going to contribute enough to be in our best 22. If he is dropped, then Davis can come in as well as Smith, Vezspremi or Laidlaw. I'd choose Vezspremi, because apparently he can play as a leading forward as well as a midfielder.

So, my ins and outs:

OUT: Hall, Brennan, Bevan
IN: White, Vezspremi, Davis

My setup would be Davis out of the goalsquare, O'Loughlin doing his thing, being both a KPP and a crumber at the same time, Barlow anywhere in the forwardline, sometimes out of the goalsquare, sometimes CHF, sometimes HFF pushing up to the wing occasionally (a la O'Keefe), whatever, O'Keefe doing the same old same old, and then the rest is just rotation. At various times LRT, Jolly, Goodes, Richards, Vezspremi rotating through the key position forward role. And then the usual suspects providing small-forward options, like Moore, Buchanan, Bird, Jack, McVeigh, B1, etc, etc. Maybe Luke Ablett down there for bits as well, though I suspect he will be occupied mainly with keeping Corey/Bartel quiet (Jack will get Gablett).

ernie koala
13th April 2008, 10:09 PM
CHF - O'keefe - Barlow - Moore
FF - O'Loughlin - Davis - LRT

Could rotate Goodes with Barlow. Buchanan with Moore. Jolly with LRT

Bas
14th April 2008, 12:17 AM
Lets move on.

I'm hoping either Jesse White or Grundy get a run at full forward next week however I imagine, Micky listed at full forward, Nick Davis back in the pocket somewhere and token player listed at centre half forward.

With the length of the Geelong stadium, I would imagine that it would be crucial we have a proper CHF. It's alright to list Micky at FF and Davo in the pocket but who will be the link man?

I think Spida could be due back as well.

What about Goodes or Barlow at CHF?

Goodes at least is big and strong. Your thoughts on what our coaching panel will do.

573v30
14th April 2008, 12:21 AM
Merge with other thread.

Barlow at CHF.

Bas
14th April 2008, 12:24 AM
I can't see how evryone is comparing Barlow with Goodes. Barlow seems to have better accuracy at goal but I don't understand the comparison.

I would take Goodes over Barlow because Goodes has a bigger frame.

bloods2005
14th April 2008, 12:27 AM
Yeah i think Goodes would do the job well at CHF, tall, athletic strong man, highly skilful.

Its gonna be interesting, but i dont think we will give up easily to the cats.. we all know what damage davo does to the cats...

Bas
14th April 2008, 12:40 AM
I've been very excited over the last three weeks from the performances of Jack, Moore, Bird, Barlow and Grundy.

Next Saturday will be a real test for these young guys. I imagine Jack will get Jnr Ab.

I still think on form the Swans will lose but hopefully by only a small amount.

BSA5
14th April 2008, 01:39 AM
I can't see how evryone is comparing Barlow with Goodes. Barlow seems to have better accuracy at goal but I don't understand the comparison.

I would take Goodes over Barlow because Goodes has a bigger frame.

Goodes doesn't have a bigger frame; he's just had longer to get some muscle hanging off it. The comparison comes from the fact that they are both over 195 cm tall, and both are very athletic, quick and agile with great stamina. I can't see how somebody couldn't understand the comparison.

Bas
14th April 2008, 11:10 AM
Goodes doesn't have a bigger frame; he's just had longer to get some muscle hanging off it. The comparison comes from the fact that they are both over 195 cm tall, and both are very athletic, quick and agile with great stamina. I can't see how somebody couldn't understand the comparison.

You forgot to mention experience and skill level.

Does every player who is very athletic, quick and agile with great stamina immediately become an Adam Goodes clone?

Footy brain might have something to do with it as well. I hope Barlow is as good if not better than Adam in the long run but I'm saying that Barlow has not been round long enough to get that comparison yet.

Lots of Swans supporters are already saying the young Irish kid is the new Chris Judd. Unnecessary pressure on the kid.

I will say that I have more confidence in Barlow kicking goals compared to Goodesy.

hammo
14th April 2008, 01:54 PM
Lots of Swans supporters are already saying the young Irish kid is the new Chris Judd. Unnecessary pressure on the kid.

I think it was Tadhg Kennelly who dubbed him the "Irish Chris Judd".

TheHood
14th April 2008, 02:00 PM

Very good.

BSA5
14th April 2008, 06:21 PM
You forgot to mention experience and skill level.

Does every player who is very athletic, quick and agile with great stamina immediately become an Adam Goodes clone?

Footy brain might have something to do with it as well. I hope Barlow is as good if not better than Adam in the long run but I'm saying that Barlow has not been round long enough to get that comparison yet.

I will say that I have more confidence in Barlow kicking goals compared to Goodesy.

Nobody has said Barlow is as GOOD as Goodes! That's just stupid. He's played 7 games! People are saying that he has Goodes-like qualities. Nobody said he was an Adam Goodes clone; they said he was a similar sort of player to Goodes.

Although I agree about the unnecessary pressure comment. Stupid.

ROK Lobster
14th April 2008, 06:25 PM
I can't see how evryone is comparing Barlow with Goodes.Goodes is a lot darker than Barlow too.

satchmopugdog
14th April 2008, 06:28 PM
Goodes is a lot darker than Barlow too.

Master of the bleeding obvious.

ROK Lobster
14th April 2008, 06:30 PM
Master of the bleeding obvious.
Goodes and Barlow, like chalkboard and cheese.

DeadlyAkkuret
14th April 2008, 07:51 PM
Goodes and Barlow, like chalkboard and cheese.

Lmao, is that your own work?

ScottH
14th April 2008, 08:19 PM
Lmao, is that your own work?

No. He stole it from me.

Wazza
14th April 2008, 08:53 PM
We could play either Goodes or Barlow at CHF as I dont see Scarlett playing on MOL.

Barlow or LRT may play a negating role on Scarletts run out of defence? I think it depends on the role they have in mind for LRT.

I dont know why Brennan was criticised, I thought he went ok for first game back and he can play forward or defense so he may be another option?

Cheers

Waz

ROK Lobster
14th April 2008, 08:58 PM
No. He stole it from me.
You wish

dimelb
14th April 2008, 11:09 PM
Barlow or LRT may play a negating role on Scarletts run out of defence? I think it depends on the role they have in mind for LRT.

Cheers

Waz
LRT's an interesting one. I expect him to be 2nd ruck and rest forward occasionally, as well as helping out down back when he can.

ScottH
15th April 2008, 07:04 AM
You wish

:D

This is what Grundy has been waiting for isn't it. They have groomed him as a Forward, and sent him back to learn how forwards play. Now, if fit, he has his chance for probably a month or 2 to show us what he is made of.

gazza
15th April 2008, 08:57 AM
why worry about who plays in what position?
they all cover the whole ground
i'm tipping either brennan or bevan will be given a negating role on scarlett,the rest of the forwards go wherever they like

JF_Bay22_SCG
15th April 2008, 10:02 AM
I was saying last night that I'd like to see Barlow get CHF at least for the next few weeks.

Him at CHF, Ryan on a flank, with Mick as a goalsquare leading/roving full forward combined with many a smokey like Richards to spice things up a tad.

When is Playfair coming back peoples?

JF

smasher
15th April 2008, 05:33 PM
You'd expect Grundy would be licking his lips at the chance to play up forward.I think he has the perfect build to play in front of goals.Apparantly his fitness is in doubt.

Rob-bloods
17th April 2008, 09:03 PM
Geelong are not all quick players but move the ball very quickly from defence and across the ground. I am very concerned with our forward structure from the defensive angle. Do you think Roos'y might try to throw a couple of 'tacklers' forward as he did against Port? Micky and Davo are of course not great chasers.

I would like to see Barlow at CHF because who else is to take that mobile forward position?

BBBBH is a huge loss but getting Spider back and returning LRT to defensive role will greatly improve our shape in weeks to come.

Nick Smith elevation seems meteoric, how do any reserves watchers see this move?