15th April 2008, 08:39 PM
From 3AW

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 08:40 PM
Very fair verdict, I thought.

Mike_B
15th April 2008, 08:40 PM
And SEN.

Pretty reasonable IMHO. Good to see the tribunal didn't get carried away with all the media hype.

Swannette
15th April 2008, 08:41 PM
Reasonable for mine as well.

liz
15th April 2008, 08:42 PM
Most reasonable under the circumstances.

mackemdezzy
15th April 2008, 08:42 PM
Fair result i guess any way he's injured anyway for about that time any way

DeadlyAkkuret
15th April 2008, 08:43 PM
Yep, I'm happy with that. The tribunal proved they have some kind of spine and didn't cave to the public pressure.

desredandwhite
15th April 2008, 08:44 PM
Yep, sounds about right. I would have expected anywhere from 4-8, guessing on 6.

CONVENIENTLY he just misses the return match too ;) Shame, that might have been interesting.

Suck it in, Baz - learn from it and move on.

gossipcom
Definitely a fair result.

And makes him miss the Weagles match, if he was fit by one week.

I still reckon he'll be out till up to 10 on the wrist, depending on how quickly it heals, etc.

Pretty comfortable with that
Malceski and Bazza back together for the Saints.
Smash em Bazza !!!!:eek: :eek:

matthew
a fair decision, i predicted between 6 and 8.

Big Al
1 week after the return "bout" against the Eagles. I don't think thats a coincidence.

shaun..
Fair outcome.

I figured as much, they wouldn't of wanted a 6 week suspension that would coincide with a possible return match with WC, despite the overwhelming interest that it would generate

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 08:45 PM
That Viney on SEN is making me sick.

He saying Barry Hall hasn't had no prior record with a sarcasm.

He hasn't got one in the last 3 years, YOU IDIOT!

Is Viney, that much of an idiot? :rolleyes:

NMWBloods
15th April 2008, 08:46 PM
Reasonable enough. Makes no difference to Hall or the Swans anyway, given he'll probably be out longer than this, but hopefully the hysteria in the media and on here will die down now.

Mike_B
Also good to see the tribunal didn't use his injury as a basis for determining a penalty.

TheGrimReaper
That Viney reckons Hall ran in the fence deliberately.

Another total St.Kilda @@@@wit. :rolleyes:

Swannette
15th April 2008, 08:47 PM
And he's also saying he deliberately ran into the fence - says he was not pulling up at all - made no attempt to - his mind was elsewhere - reckons he's not alone in thinking this - whaaaaaaaaaat. An absolute goose.

shaun..
15th April 2008, 08:49 PM
Yep, Hall's emo - he likes the feeling of pain :confused:

Mark FINE Grim , is a 1st Class Knob who is an avid Saints man and is still shattered about Ross Lyon being coach , Hall & Plugger going to the Swans and us beating them in 2005 !!:D

mackemdezzy
That Viney reckons Hall ran in the fence deliberately.

Another total St.Kilda @@@@wit. :rolleyes:

Thats a load of crap why would any player deliberately run in to the fence thats just stupid

TheGrimReaper
Now it's a conspiracy that he got 7 weeks because we're playing the Eagles 6 weeks later. :rolleyes:

NMWBloods
15th April 2008, 08:50 PM
Apparently it was 10 weeks and reduced 25% for early guilt plea.

Cheer Squad mbr
15th April 2008, 08:50 PM
Just announced on Nine News. I consider this to be a victory for the Swannies. :)

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 08:51 PM
Mark FINE Grim , is a 1st Class Knob who is an avid Saints man and is still shattered about Ross Lyon being coach , Hall & Plugger going to the Swans and us beating them in 2005 !!:D

I thought I got his name wrong.

I'm going to turn this off, this is @@@@ing ridiculous mate. :eek:

gossipcom
15th April 2008, 08:53 PM
Herald Sun has a tidbit about it.

AFL Tribunal knocks out Barry Hall | Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23544622-661,00.html)

15th April 2008, 08:54 PM
I thought I got his name wrong.

I'm going to turn this off, this is @@@@ing ridiculous mate. :eek:

Love it Grim , they can all Go Get @@@@@@@@@@ now !!
Im on hold with the knob as we speak.

thejones,s
15th April 2008, 08:54 PM
mmmmmmmmmm 7 weeks ok..

gives me time to get my support BBBH tatt...........

works in well six weeks for wrist.

OOPS..hello annie

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 08:55 PM
Love it Grim , they can all Go Get @@@@@@@@@@ now !!
Im on hold with the knob as we speak.

Can you give him a spray for me mate?

Tell him my real name is Jimmy, hope you get on him.

anne
15th April 2008, 08:57 PM
This will send Big Footy into overdrive.

Thunder Shaker
15th April 2008, 08:57 PM
The 90 carryover points also sends Baz a message as well. "Behave yourself or you'll have another holiday"

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 08:58 PM
Mark Fine just reckons, Hall has fistic fury! WTF is he on about? :eek:

Leave the boxing out of it FFS! :rolleyes:

CJK
15th April 2008, 08:58 PM
Seven eh? Fair enough.

/moves on

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 08:59 PM
One caller reckons he is an animal and a violent man.

What a load of @@@@! :eek:

Danzar
15th April 2008, 08:59 PM
Pretty comfortable with that
Malceski and Bazza back together for the Saints.
Smash em Bazza !!!!:eek: :eek:
Don't be too sure. Roos may keep Hall off for longer. The week leading up to the end of his suspension, hysteria will again build. This affects not just Hall but the whole team.

Best way to dispel it is to bring him back in a few rounds later. People's attention on the issue will wane and it will give Hall extra time to prepare mentally. Plus, no one will know when he's coming back until the day before.

I say we'll see him for the Hawks game - Round 15.

anne
15th April 2008, 09:03 PM
Why would the Swans fight for a fair and reasonable outcome and then bring him back later to appease the hysterics. He will be back as soon as he is ready.

thejones,s
15th April 2008, 09:03 PM
if he was playing for a melb team,,,

one wonders if the hype woulda been the same..

this guy thinks not

cruiser
15th April 2008, 09:04 PM
Don't be too sure. Roos may keep Hall off for longer. The week leading up to the end of his suspension, hysteria will again build. This affects not just Hall but the whole team.

Best way to dispel it is to bring him back in a few rounds later. People's attention on the issue will wane and it will give Hall extra time to prepare mentally.

Huh? :confused:

TheGrimReaper

this guy thinks not

Not if he played for Collingwood.

If Chris Judd did it, he would have received a medal. :cool:

CureTheSane
Apparently it was 10 weeks and reduced 25% for early guilt plea.

Glad they chose to round down :D

NMWBloods
15th April 2008, 09:05 PM

this guy thinks not
Why would you think that? Look at the hype surrounding Carey, Didak and even Whitnall for their off-field behaviour.

Legs Akimbo
15th April 2008, 09:06 PM
Brett Staker's mum will be pissed.

Didn't she want him jailed for a term of not less than 15 years?

thejones,s
maybe worsfeld shuda handed a few more pain killing powders before the game...

then they cuda been flying high..

MarshallG

Viney is the personification of populism.

He susses out the views of the shallow end of the gene pool and off he goes.

7 weeks is fair.

gossipcom
They've got two weeks off in the middle there, so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring him back (if he's fit) for the Pies match at ANZ Stadium.

CureTheSane
7 weeks.
I can live with that.
Injury is probably 4 - 6

Danzar
15th April 2008, 09:09 PM
Huh? :confused:
We're talking about seven weeks without Hall.

That means seven weeks of adjusting to a new team structure, which may just pay dividends and may be difficult to unwind so soon after it sets in.

Don't be deluded into thinking that the presence of Hall has gotten us to 3-1. Yes, he draws the opposition's best defenders but outside that, his contribution last season and this year has been reasonable but not exceptional. He has been improving but whether this would have continued we will not know.

I honestly believe that Roos will be in no great hurry to bring him back in. He has a proven track record of managing these issues in a very unconventional way.

I'm surprised that you don't at least see that there is potential for this outcome?

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 09:10 PM

I wonder what she thinks of Ben Cousins mate? :confused:

Plugger46
15th April 2008, 09:12 PM
I was prepared for worse.

Excellent result for us.

I reckon he's a tad lucky.

MarshallG
15th April 2008, 09:12 PM

this guy thinks not

Yes it would.

Coming from someone in Melbourne matey I can tell you this isn't an us versus them deal or a Melb vs Syd trip.

No club in Melbourne would have been treated any better.

The media would have been just as exploitive, the player would have been dehumanised and supporters of opposing clubs would have been foaming at the mouth.

Legs Akimbo
15th April 2008, 09:13 PM
I wonder what she thinks of Ben Cousins mate? :confused:

Mainwaring?

Danzar
15th April 2008, 09:17 PM
Why would the Swans fight for a fair and reasonable outcome and then bring him back later to appease the hysterics. He will be back as soon as he is ready.
The Swans didn't fight for any outcome - they outright stated this would not be contested.

And I'm not saying they would delay to appease anyone but themselves. Round 15 vs Hawks is the biggest challenge we will face when Hall's suspension ends. Why bring him in earlier, particularly if we find that the team is cranking without him?

The team is renowned for managing its image as well as managing players.

ScottH
Yes it would.

Coming from someone in Melbourne matey I can tell you this isn't an us versus them deal or a Melb vs Syd trip.

No club in Melbourne would have been treated any better.

The media would have been just as exploitive, the player would have been dehumanised and supporters of opposing clubs would have been foaming at the mouth.

I agree. It would've been the same with any player, especially one with a similarly high profile.

It's like a circus down here. Almost as big as the 2005 PF tribunal.

You'd think he murdered someone.

MarshallG
A few posts have been going down the Us vs Them line, inferring another club (particularly in Melb) would have been treated differently.

Ya couldn't be further from the truth.

A Melb club probably would have been hammered more.

This has probably been said before but Sydney is the 'second club' for many in Melbourne. Several generations know the SM roots, many watched us every second Sunday when we were all that was on.

jodi
15th April 2008, 09:22 PM
7 weeks is fair... sad for us but still fair.

All this talk about a 'violent man'... please, give me a break! :rolleyes: The man has a five second brain-snap and now, all of a sudden he is a menace... what a crock!

573v30
15th April 2008, 09:22 PM
7 weeks is fair enough IMO for such an overblown incident, thanks to the stupid media.

DST
15th April 2008, 09:31 PM
Don't be surprised to see the leadership group meet this week and give him a club imposed ban for an extra week or two, just to let him know how much he has let down the team.

The 7 weeks, gives them the room to do it.

DST
:D

ScottH
15th April 2008, 09:32 PM
Given that Plugger got 8, I think it is a fair outcome.

He just better be fit and firing in 7 weeks time, and keep his fist holstered.

Danzar
15th April 2008, 09:32 PM
Don't be surprised to see the leadership group meet this week and give him a club imposed ban for an extra week or two, just to let him know how much he has let down the team.

DST
A distinct possibility

ShockOfHair
15th April 2008, 09:35 PM
Seems reasonable.

At least people have stopped talking about the boring Swans.

barry
15th April 2008, 09:39 PM
Not only has Hall been lynched by the hysterical mob. I mean 10 weeks (reduced to 7 by record) is the sort of suspension that you get when you seriously mame someone so they are out of the game for about the same time. If hall wasnt labelled a boxer, he would have coped less than 6 IMO. I mean, what boxing has he supposedly done? Juniors!?!

Then to cap off a crap night, serial offender Mooney gets off from a blatant trip.

Our season is stuffed.

Dave
15th April 2008, 09:39 PM

Actually I think you'll find it's 5 years...

Anyway, 7 it is - as good as we could expect. Time to move on.

Rob-bloods
15th April 2008, 09:41 PM
I think the club should add a week to underline their disapproval and also to show the Cover Up Kings of the Weagles what a great club thinks of disreputable behaviour.

Big Al
15th April 2008, 09:42 PM
Our season is stuffed.

That's the spirit.:rolleyes:

You don't have a lot of faith in the rest of the squad. Look at the next 7 weeks. If we cant win 4-5 of those even without Hall we weren't much of a side to begin with.

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 09:43 PM
Not only has Hall been lynched by the hysterical mob. I mean 10 weeks (reduced to 7 by record) is the sort of suspension that you get when you seriously mame someone so they are out of the game for about the same time. If hall wasnt labelled a boxer, he would have coped less than 6 IMO. I mean, what boxing has he supposedly done? Juniors!?!

Then to cap off a crap night, serial offender Mooney gets off from a blatant trip.

Our season is stuffed.

Goes to show that the tribunal is inconsistent as ever! :rolleyes:

Rob-bloods
15th April 2008, 09:44 PM
And by the way, can Mrs Staker Senior please return the 2006 shield to it's rightful home in Sydney as she is so full of moral rectitude!

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 09:46 PM
And by the way, can Mrs Staker Senior please return the 2006 shield to it's rightful home in Sydney as she is so full of moral rectitude!

Shield? :eek: Premiership mate.

Danzar
15th April 2008, 09:50 PM

Hah! Good pick up!

Perhaps he was baiting you?

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 09:52 PM
Hah! Good pick up!

Perhaps he was baiting you?

I'm over the Cricket mate.

However, we have a ringer of our own in Chris Rogers for next year, ready to kicks some Blues arse. ;) :D

Rob-bloods
15th April 2008, 09:53 PM

Cup that is!

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 09:55 PM
Cup that is!

Or flag. ;) :p

BeeEmmAre
15th April 2008, 09:56 PM
Who do we play in Canberra that weekend? :cool:

573v30
15th April 2008, 09:56 PM
I'm over the Cricket mate.

However, we have a ringer of our own in Chris Rogers for next year, ready to kicks some Blues arse. ;) :D

Rogers is hardly a ringer.

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 09:58 PM
Rogers is hardly a ringer.

You're right, he has stuffed up his chances of playing for Australia again by moving to Victoria. Should have moved to New South Wales, if he wanted to play for Australia. :p

Big Al
15th April 2008, 10:00 PM
Officer Barbrady - "Let's move on nothing to see here"

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 10:02 PM
Officer Barbrady - "Let's move on nothing to see here"

Yes Mother Al! :p

Chow-Chicker
15th April 2008, 10:03 PM
He's a lucky fella IMO. Anyone remember Steven Baker last year? Copped 7 weeks for stopping and propping in front of a running Jeff Farmer who crashed into the back of him and sustained a broken nose and concussion. There was no video footage of the incident. I think he also copped extra weeks due to a previous poor record - but 7 weeks for that compared to a full on powerful left hook to the jaw seems wrong.

top40
15th April 2008, 10:05 PM
Our season is stuffed.

Oh please. This is Barry Hall 2008, not Barry Hall 2005.

And the Swans record without Hall isn't too bad. It presently stand at 4 wins and 4 losses, and a good percentage of 108.43.

Further, the 4 losses weren't too bad either:

1. Brisbane at the Gabba in 2002 (Away from Home, where no one in that era won at the Gabba against the Lions/ Brisbane were then at their highest, right in the middle three straight flag run)

Adelaide at the SCG in 2002. (Sydney and Paul Roo's recent boogy team/the Crows were Preminimary Finalists that year/Swans still kicked 15 goals against 17)

West Coast at Subi in 2007 (The then reigning Premiers/the highly charged return game for Cousins(who took 41 possessions)/Only two goals the difference)

Geelong at Kardina in 2007 (Like Brisbane in 2002, one of the strongest teams in recent years/at the Cattery/Only three goals the difference, being the Cats closest win at Kardina Park all season, (althought they did lose to Port in Round 21))

No. We'll be OK. Nick Davis is hungry to get back. Jesse White waits in the wing. With O'Keefe and O'Loughnan we have at least one of the best forward structures in the comp.

It may actually be a problem when Hall comes back

Big Al
15th April 2008, 10:05 PM
Yes Mother Al! :p

Screw you guys, I'm going home. ;) :D

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 10:07 PM
Screw you guys, I'm going home. ;) :D

Man who go through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok. What does that mean Al? lol

Big Al
15th April 2008, 10:08 PM
Man who go through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok. What does that mean Al? lol

Well, he probably will.

The Big Cat
15th April 2008, 10:09 PM
He's a lucky fella IMO. Anyone remember Steven Baker last year? Copped 7 weeks for stopping and propping in front of a running Jeff Farmer who crashed into the back of him and sustained a broken nose and concussion. There was no video footage of the incident. I think he also copped extra weeks due to a previous poor record - but 7 weeks for that compared to a full on powerful left hook to the jaw seems wrong.

Baker got 4 plus an extra 3 for his record and carry over points. Hall got 11 but had a 25% reduction for a guilty plea and a good record. So it's 11 versus 4 in reality. I wouldn't whinge if I was a baker supporter.

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 10:10 PM
Well, he probably will.

I see! I would say he would go to Kyrgyzstan myself.

There's plenty of evidence to suggest he will. :D

DeadlyAkkuret
15th April 2008, 10:11 PM

Wow:eek:

Danzar
15th April 2008, 10:16 PM

I must say, that really @@@@s me. He was facing a one week ban. Fair in my view and his record is @@@@. Geelong, if they weren't already, are fast becoming the well looked after 'darlings' of the competition.

When they were challenged by the Saints on the weekend, I subsequently saw no less than three blatant plays that were designed to harm and rattle.

Legal? Mostly.

Ethical? No.

TheGrimReaper
15th April 2008, 10:16 PM
Wow:eek:

I wonder if that was done to despite us? :confused:

573v30
15th April 2008, 10:20 PM
I wonder if that was done to despite us? :confused:

Yes, it was.

Chow-Chicker
Baker got 4 plus an extra 3 for his record and carry over points. Hall got 11 but had a 25% reduction for a guilty plea and a good record. So it's 11 versus 4 in reality. I wouldn't whinge if I was a baker supporter.

Ah, fair enough. I thought cases referred straight to the tribunal were exempt from early plea bargains etc? :confused:

TheGrimReaper
Yes, it was.

I knew it was Barry's fault. :o :p

Bas
15th April 2008, 11:04 PM
Round 15 vs Hawks is the biggest challenge we will face when Hall's suspension ends. Why bring him in earlier, particularly if we find that the team is cranking without him?

doh????

It's round 4 now, Hall gets 7 weeks. How is it that Rd 15 is the round his suspension ends?

shaun..
15th April 2008, 11:11 PM
Read post #35

CureTheSane
15th April 2008, 11:12 PM
Mainwaring?

CureTheSane
15th April 2008, 11:14 PM

DST

Not much really pisses me off.
That would.
I would hope that they are a team of mates who regognise that he made a mistake.
I would also hope that they would feel no need to try and MAKE IT LOOK AS IF they were all saints who were genuinely upset with Halls actions.

Plugger46
15th April 2008, 11:21 PM
Not much really pisses me off.
That would.
I would hope that they are a team of mates who regognise that he made a mistake.
I would also hope that they would feel no need to try and MAKE IT LOOK AS IF they were all saints who were genuinely upset with Halls actions.

Agree entirely.

He has plenty of credits in the bank.

AnnieH
15th April 2008, 11:29 PM
Sorry, haven't read past post 5. Berate me if I've repeated anything.

I thought he'd get eight weeks, so he's already one up in my books!!

The injury should take at least 10 (12 to fully recover). We may not see him till at least Round 15?

Should keep him in the game till 2010.

Noice.
:)

anniswan
15th April 2008, 11:41 PM
7 is fair enough, I have made the following comment on the Hun site

I think Barry was stupid, however if the umpires had have being doing their job correctly and given a free against Staker for holding on behind play, which is clear on the video this wouldn't have happened. Barry was wrong in striking Staker, but the umpires need to pay more attention to what happens off the ball. Also I believe that this niggling, prodding, holding antics that go on need to be banned as well, just play the game and get rid of these tactic

Chow-Chicker
16th April 2008, 12:23 AM
7 is fair enough, I have made the following comment on the Hun site

I think Barry was stupid, however if the umpires had have being doing their job correctly and given a free against Staker for holding on behind play, which is clear on the video this wouldn't have happened. Barry was wrong in striking Staker, but the umpires need to pay more attention to what happens off the ball. Also I believe that this niggling, prodding, holding antics that go on need to be banned as well, just play the game and get rid of these tactic

Sorry, but I think it is ridiculous to throw this at the umpires feet. It is even more ridiculous to suggest rules need to be changed to prevent situations where players lose their marbles. FFS, Barry Hall is the one in the wrong, not the rest of the world!

anniswan
16th April 2008, 12:42 AM
Sorry, but I think it is ridiculous to throw this at the umpires feet. It is even more ridiculous to suggest rules need to be changed to prevent situations where players lose their marbles. FFS, Barry Hall is the one in the wrong, not the rest of the world!

Well lets agree to disagree, as I said BBB did the wrong thing, but look further into it. Would he have done it if Staker hade been pinged for holding the man "which is shown on video". Provocation isn't a defence, but if a defender is constantly niggling you what do you do, offer him a bunch of roses to get him off your back.

People are human, in a role I am in sometimes I get pushed a bit too far and sometimes, and very rarely I lash out verbally. Sometimes I regret it, but at times it's a necessity to tell people that I won't tolerate the crap anymore.

I am not condoning what BBB did, it wasn't necessary but human psychology would see it as a defensive action that a person that was pushed to the brink, and given that there was no intervention (umpires) his frustration was brought to bare.

gossipcom
16th April 2008, 01:31 AM
I just visited a non-sporting board that's got a thread discussing the topic and they said yet another case where the AFL has gone soft on the Swans. *sigh*

giant
16th April 2008, 01:36 AM
Imagine how fresh he'll be for the finals!!

mcs
16th April 2008, 01:36 AM
Its a more then fair outcome, the lynch mobs down south would of wanted a lot more and out west but 7 weeks is more then fair. If the original charge was 11 weeks, well imo that is excessive compared to previous cases (Granted the tribunal system has changed significatly) but in the end I think a fair conclusion was come to.

Cant Believe Mooney got off- that was a blatant trip and deserved a couple of weeks holiday imo. But Geelong are now the darlings of the AFL and get away with more then they should.

Will be interesting to see how we go on Saturday. Im quietly confident but also half expecting to get a touch up. But footy is a funny game and you just never know.

And gossipcom it wouldnt matter what we do or who is playing for us, the afl is always going 'soft' on us, or so many would want to believe. Its total trash talkand best just ignored.

Robbo
16th April 2008, 02:56 AM
How the @@@@ did Mooney get away with tripping?

DeadlyAkkuret
16th April 2008, 03:46 AM
Looks like the tribunal was trippin.

Bloody Hell
16th April 2008, 05:17 AM
Read the first 50 posts - and there was alot of "that's fair"....which makes me think there's going to be alot of - THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!!! from the sooks - for the rest of the season. Thanks BBBH!

ScottH
16th April 2008, 07:14 AM
Imagine how fresh he'll be for the finals!!

That's what I was thinking. 2 months holiday. He should be super fit by then.

Wardy
16th April 2008, 08:25 AM

Mrs Staker was confusing the issue with the antics of Ivan Milat. She thought that Ivan and Barry were one in the same - it happens!

Wardy
16th April 2008, 08:27 AM
Well lets agree to disagree, as I said BBB did the wrong thing, but look further into it. Would he have done it if Staker hade been pinged for holding the man "which is shown on video". Provocation isn't a defence, but if a defender is constantly niggling you what do you do, offer him a bunch of roses to get him off your back.

People are human, in a role I am in sometimes I get pushed a bit too far and sometimes, and very rarely I lash out verbally. Sometimes I regret it, but at times it's a necessity to tell people that I won't tolerate the crap anymore.

I am not condoning what BBB did, it wasn't necessary but human psychology would see it as a defensive action that a person that was pushed to the brink, and given that there was no intervention (umpires) his frustration was brought to bare.

right on there Annie - it seems both sides of the argument were lost in the translation or rather media hype and that Staker was the innocent in this - when he wasnt.

ScottH
16th April 2008, 08:31 AM
I love the fact that all the media paint Hall as a mass murderer, yet the HS had a lovely 2 page spread in Sundays paper - Mick Gatto's Diary, about his trip to Singapore. They just forgot to put the Halo over Mick in the picture. :rolleyes:

stellation
16th April 2008, 08:55 AM
7 weeks is fair. I personally thought 4 weeks should really be enough for the punch itself, but was expecting somewhere in the 6-8 weeks range.

A friend from work called me yesterday to suggest it should be about 10 and anything less than 8 would be the AFL protecting the Swans. I explained that I thought anything over 8 was just completely over the top and pointed out the penalties handed out to Holland and Johnson for their high bumps (which, despite being in play, I think were significantly worse than Barry's punch) and he then caved and agreed.

CureTheSane
16th April 2008, 09:06 AM
Sorry, haven't read past post 5. Berate me if I've repeated anything.

:)

Lazy.

ScottH
16th April 2008, 09:20 AM
7 weeks is fair. I personally thought 4 weeks should really be enough for the punch itself, but was expecting somewhere in the 6-8 weeks range.

A friend from work called me yesterday to suggest it should be about 10 and anything less than 8 would be the AFL protecting the Swans. I explained that I thought anything over 8 was just completely over the top and pointed out the penalties handed out to Holland and Johnson for their high bumps (which, despite being in play, I think were significantly worse than Barry's punch) and he then caved and agreed.

Well he did get 10, until Forrester QC got out the pics, I mean argued that a discount was warranted given the early guilty plea.

Zlatorog
16th April 2008, 09:27 AM
I think it's a fair outcome. Now is time to move on and focus on things that matter. Like Geelong on Saturday, for example.

Wardy
16th April 2008, 09:31 AM
I think it's a fair outcome. Now is time to move one and focus on things that matter. Like Geelong on Saturday, for example.

bravo - I second that - its done - lets move on - Davo should be back and he will be hungry to prove himself - bring it on!!!

stellation
16th April 2008, 09:32 AM
Well he did get 10, until Forrester QC got out the pics, I mean argued that a discount was warranted given the early guilty plea.
Ahhh, I haven't read the articles or through the whole thread. I think 10 is far too much.

Will the carry over points be 90 and mean that if he so much looks at another player he'll get a week?

ScottH
16th April 2008, 09:48 AM
Ahhh, I haven't read the articles or through the whole thread. I think 10 is far too much.

Will the carry over points be 90 and mean that if he so much looks at another player he'll get a week?

Yep.

hammo
16th April 2008, 12:58 PM
There are other actions that can be taken without going to the extreme of punching someone.

reigning premier
16th April 2008, 02:02 PM
Now that the dust has settled (A little bit), Post tribunal, Is 7 weeks a fair punishment?

I would argue that the "niggle" was brought on by Staker and BBBBH just gave one back. Obviously a little to enthusiastically :) but the whole premise that he was king hit unexpectedley (And hence such the moral outrage and heavy punishment) is a farce.

Yes, BBBBH shouldn't have punched him. But was it really unexpected?

As for the contact itself, just because he threw a better one than anyone else has, should he be more severley punished than others that have TRIED to do the same? After all, isn't guilt all about intent?

TheGrimReaper
16th April 2008, 02:06 PM
And another topic on this issue.

Has anyone seen my valium tablets? :eek:

bloodboy
16th April 2008, 02:08 PM
7 is fair...I thought it was going to be much longer which would not have been fair but the tribunal got it right I reckon. Even though there was niggle, still can't do it. I think the 7 weeks took in to account that niggle. If it was TOTALLY unprovoked (e.g. Bazz just threw the left hook for nothing) then I am sure the suspension would have been longer and the AFL would have paid for him to visit a mental institution to make sure he wasn't either "hearing voices" or "seeing things"!

swansrock4eva
16th April 2008, 02:14 PM
I'd have said firstly that guilt ISN'T about intent - it's about your actions and their outcomes. The person who doesn't intend to run head-on into another vehicle and kill the driver is still guilty of a crime (assuming the judicial systems deems the person to be guilty) even though he didn't intend for it to happen. It's just the specifics of the crime that change, not the fact that one has been commited e.g. murder (premeditated) vs mansluaghter (unpremeditated) etc etc. I'm sure some of our legal boffins will have more to say on this!

I think the point in one of the other threads about Patrick Smith's current article comparing Hall to the Geelong/Saints incident is probably the key point. I perosnally think Bazza was incredibly lucky to only get 7 weeks because what he did was stupid, dangerous and pretty damn ugly. Having said that though, I also think that the AFL is still highly inconsistent in how they determine punishments etc which influences perceptions of fairness. When you account for that inconsistency, I still feel Barry's result was pretty fair in and of itself, but the fact that West didn't face any punishment was equally unfair. Until that type of inconsistency is addressed, the question of fair vs unfair will always be a loaded one imo, and probably too hard to really answer.

reigning premier
16th April 2008, 02:21 PM
I'd have said firstly that guilt ISN'T about intent - it's about your actions and their outcomes. The person who doesn't intend to run head-on into another vehicle and kill the driver is still guilty of a crime (assuming the judicial systems deems the person to be guilty) even though he didn't intend for it to happen. It's just the specifics of the crime that change, not the fact that one has been commited e.g. murder (premeditated) vs mansluaghter (unpremeditated) etc etc. I'm sure some of our legal boffins will have more to say on this!

Talk about a confusing statement. Youve just countered you're own argument in that one paragraph. :)

Guilt is pretty much yes or no but the resultant punishment should be based on intent and outcome.

Did he intend to knock out Staker?? I'd say not.

swansrock4eva
16th April 2008, 02:44 PM
No my point is that intent (or lack thereof) determines what CHARGE they face, and then correspondingly the punishment if found guilty of that charge. Just because someone didn't INTEND to commit a crime (but still did commit it), doesn't mean they aren't guilty of the crime (but the degree differs).

In this case Barry probably didn't intend to knock him out, but he still did so and should face the appropriate penalty for intending to hit Staker at the very least (you can't tell me in that single second that he wasn't intending to at least make some sort of contact!). I think the penalty for him was appropriate, but the one for West was not because the AFL didn't seem to use consistency when assessing the two incidents.

NMWBloods
16th April 2008, 03:01 PM
Now that the dust has settled (A little bit), Post tribunal, Is 7 weeks a fair punishment?

I would argue that the "niggle" was brought on by Staker and BBBBH just gave one back. Obviously a little to enthusiastically :) but the whole premise that he was king hit unexpectedley (And hence such the moral outrage and heavy punishment) is a farce.Nothing that has been shown so far looks any different to any other player interaction. All Hall had to do was push him off and lead for the ball.

Yes, BBBBH shouldn't have punched him. But was it really unexpected?I would think it was quite unexpected.

As for the contact itself, just because he threw a better one than anyone else has, should he be more severley punished than others that have TRIED to do the same? After all, isn't guilt all about intent?Intent is a factor, but outcome is also a major one. Otherwise you would get the same punishment for someone who threw a punch and missed and one who broke someone's jaw.

reigning premier
16th April 2008, 10:12 PM
Nothing that has been shown so far looks any different to any other player interaction. All Hall had to do was push him off and lead for the ball.

Think that's what he was trying to do. Having Staker as a boat anchor was slowing him down!

I would think it was quite unexpected.

You're mouthing off to someone and scragging them in the middle of a footy game and it's unexpected?

Intent is a factor, but outcome is also a major one. Otherwise you would get the same punishment for someone who threw a punch and missed and one who broke someone's jaw.

Intent is probably more important. Was his intent just to give him something to think about or to knock him senseless? Looking at it I would say the 1st. Unfortunately for BBBBH, he's far too good at what he does. :)