PDA

View Full Version : Mark Stone = genius ????

Triple B
17th April 2008, 02:57 PM
Let's change the pace and talk about a positive.......

Our midfield has smashed the opposition over the past few weeks, even with just one bona fide ruckman and a makeshift backup.

McVeigh has gone from a nightmare to a real fair dinkum contributor. The young fellas have been given roles they have been able to succeed at, in Kizza/Cracker's case, spectacularly.

Goodes' flashes of brilliance in the second quarter were from stoppage setups that Stone would be plotting.

He obviously needs time to fully appreciate what our guys are capable of, he isn't exactly working with Judd, Cousins, Cox and Kerr here!!

Early indications are he may well be every bit as good a recruit as Mattner.

Thoughts???

annew
17th April 2008, 03:03 PM
Who is Mark Stone???

ScottH
17th April 2008, 03:07 PM
Who is Mark Stone???

Stoppage coach, who came from the eagles.

ScottH
17th April 2008, 03:08 PM
We've been smashed in the ruck contests 4 weeks in a row. But have won many more clearances, as well as 3.9 games.

I'd say he is doing OK.

NMWBloods
17th April 2008, 03:23 PM
Has anyone noticed any specific differences in our tactics at stoppages this year?

One thing I have noticed is there is less emphasis on locking the ball up and forcing a ball up, and more on getting it out and moving forward.

Another is that the midfielders are normally facing the ball rather than their man!

Xie Shan
17th April 2008, 03:47 PM
As a midfield coach,

Mark Stone >>>>>> Ross Lyon. Nice to see some talent coming the other way for a change after suffering a 'brain drain' of sorts with assistant coaches (though I personally was glad to see Lyon go -- we needed a more proactive approach to the midfield)

Makes a difference when your midfield is actually taught how to win the ball. Even if they're not in the class of Judd/Cousins/Kerr.

liz
17th April 2008, 04:34 PM
I heard one commentator note - and I think it was in the Brions game - that the Swans seemed to be spreading out a bit more at stoppages. If so, it seems a bit odd that they've not tried this before around the ground, since it was observed a couple of seasons ago how good they were at spreading out at forward-50 stoppage - and there's no better example that Nick Davis' famous 4th.

connolly
17th April 2008, 04:45 PM
Has anyone noticed any specific differences in our tactics at stoppages this year?

One thing I have noticed is there is less emphasis on locking the ball up and forcing a ball up, and more on getting it out and moving forward.

Another is that the midfielders are normally facing the ball rather than their man!

We now have a designated receiver who breaks from his opponent when the ball is contested. We are not matching up any differently or standing further from the contest. We just have a tweak in the roles of the midfielders. Jack in particular although he has been used as a defensive mid has also been given the role to break from his man if he's not directly involved in the contest. It creates more pace and quicker ball movement out of the breakdowns and the pack. Its working a treat.

stellation
17th April 2008, 04:57 PM
They do look to get the ball out a bit quicker and appear more willing to go to a wider/longer handball target from stoppages more frequently now.

swantastic
17th April 2008, 05:03 PM
As a midfield coach,

Mark Stone >>>>>> Ross Lyon. Nice to see some talent coming the other way for a change after suffering a 'brain drain' of sorts with assistant coaches (though I personally was glad to see Lyon go -- we needed a more proactive approach to the midfield)

Makes a difference when your midfield is actually taught how to win the ball. Even if they're not in the class of Judd/Cousins/Kerr.It doesnt matter if we dont have Judd/Cousins/Kerr,just as long as Stone can get the best out of our strengths to win us games.

A great team is always better than having great players.

If you have a great team it generally makes all the players look good.

TheHood
17th April 2008, 05:06 PM
It's possible that Jack is the new SOS, Son Of Stone. :D

I think Keiran's primary instincts are to win the ball and at the same time he's ultra competitive so he multi-tasks unlike anything we've seen in AFL. He's put on a man to limit that man's influence but Keiran doesn't stop there.

Normally, you're either a ball winner or a stopper who can "get a bit of it".

Keiran has morphed from stopper with okay disposal into a ball winner who does a very good stopping job. This has made a massive difference to our success at stoppages in 2008.

It helps that he's a clean canvas and Stone can have maximum influence on a young player's strategy.

Jude - in form
Kirk - still a legend
Monty - will get better this year
Goodes - thrilling when he hits the pack at full tilt

Geelong will be doing their homework. We are their toughest test for 2008.

Triple B
17th April 2008, 05:13 PM
I heard one commentator note - and I think it was in the Brions game - that the Swans seemed to be spreading out a bit more at stoppages. If so, it seems a bit odd that they've not tried this before around the ground, since it was observed a couple of seasons ago how good they were at spreading out at forward-50 stoppage - and there's no better example that Nick Davis' famous 4th.

It's all about our mindset at stoppages. We are now appear more attacking and the obvious reason is Stone is having a major influence. We no longer look to lock it up and force another stoppage.

As you say, 'that goal' was a perfect example, but that stoppage setup was borne out of necessity. If the same situation occurred in the second quarter, B1 would have been diving on top of the ball with Ablett diving on top of him to make a good job of killing it.

NMWBloods
17th April 2008, 05:17 PM
If the same situation occurred in the second quarter, B1 would have been diving on top of the ball with Ablett diving on top of him to make a good job of killing it.And Mathews on top of him and Crouch on top of him and Kirk on top of him... And Davo waving at the crowd!

satchmopugdog
17th April 2008, 05:20 PM
I commented on the warmup at Telstra Dome after our round 1 clash with the SAints that the warm up was distinclty different as regards the clearance drills. They were practising run through stuff and I saw the players trying to use it in the game. Obviously it gets stopped by the varigeties of the game but I was excited to see the difference then and pleased that I wasn't imagining things.

stellation
17th April 2008, 05:20 PM
A lot of the tight spacing/checking at stoppages may simply have been that the coaching staff didn't believe they had the cattle in the midfield to spread things out more. The whole drab four/cortinas thing.

Triple B
17th April 2008, 05:30 PM
A lot of the tight spacing/checking at stoppages may simply have been that the coaching staff didn't believe they had the cattle in the midfield to spread things out more. The whole drab four/cortinas thing.

I'm sure that is right, but it's basically the same cortinas with the addition of Kizza, Bird and Bulldog, but they have been rarely, if ever, in the middle at the same time this year.

But now, our new midfield guru has changed the structure and bingo, those same cortinas are showing they are capable of doing more than jump on top of the ball and kill it or shadowing the oppositions midfield with the sole intention of stopping them doing anything when they get the ball as opposed to going and getting the bloody pill themselves.

liz
17th April 2008, 05:36 PM
It's all about our mindset at stoppages. We are now appear more attacking and the obvious reason is Stone is having a major influence. We no longer look to lock it up and force another stoppage.

As you say, 'that goal' was a perfect example, but that stoppage setup was borne out of necessity. If the same situation occurred in the second quarter, B1 would have been diving on top of the ball with Ablett diving on top of him to make a good job of killing it.

I don't disagree that it's at least partly a mindset thing but I do dispute that if that had been in the 2nd quarter they'd have been trying to clog it up. For a number of years now the team's been lauded for it's forward stoppage work and the number of scoring opportunities it creates. I reckon only Port are better at it. And yes, that is consistent with your mindset argument, since clearly when you've got the ball in front of your own goal you want to try and create a goal rather than a stoppage.

This area of the game has probably gone backwards a bit since 2005 though - which must be at least in part due to the retirement of Ball. He was only ever an average centre-bounce ruckman but his work at those forward stoppages was frequently sublime.

Go Swannies
17th April 2008, 05:45 PM
Agree Liz. I told Spida at Club Swans that he arrived a year too late and he replied "I tried mate but we couldn't make it happen". He is one of the few that would have filled the hole left by Ball's retirement.

Maybe Stone is a genius. Right now we have about 1.25 ruckmen. So we don't win the hitouts but we're doing better than ever at winning the clearances. It'll be interesting to see when we have Spida and Jolly tapping down to the better-trained Swans midfield. Watching the Eagles last week, I thought he might have contributed at least 20% of the Cousins, Judd, Kerr "genius".

swansrock4eva
17th April 2008, 06:03 PM
They made some comments about this in the coverage on Saturday night. They were pointing out how we caught the eagles flat-footed at stoppages time and time again, and quite often it was Goodes who was our running man from the outskirts of the pack around the stoppage - he'd crash through, grab the ball and be out the other side before anyone else had realised! It looked quite reminiscient of the stoppages in which Nicky D saved us in the 05 SF and Amon scored what turned out to be the match-winning goal in the grand final, only it was being utilised all over the ground. It looks good so far, and hopefully our opposition won't be able to develop a suitable counterattack for a little while yet!

TheMase
17th April 2008, 07:44 PM
that the Swans seemed to be spreading out a bit more at stoppages.

Just what I was about to say. They are creating space for each other at the stoppages, which is giving us much cleaner ball and disposal.

annew
17th April 2008, 11:17 PM
Why isn't he listed as one of the coaches on the Swans website - I had never heard of him.

Triple B
17th April 2008, 11:19 PM
Why isn't he listed as one of the coaches on the Swans website

Swans website, that's a good one.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

bodgie
17th April 2008, 11:21 PM
And Mathews on top of him and Crouch on top of him and Kirk on top of him... And Davo waving at the crowd!
LOL:D

wedge.maverick
18th April 2008, 12:07 AM
I played against Mark Stone many years ago and he was only an Ovens and Murray reserves player.He then coached Wagga Tigers for a couple of years prior to Terry Daniher from memory.That was where Brett Kirk came across him,Kirky was playing for North Albury but going to uni in Wagga and trained with the Tigers.
Stone's big move was jagging a job as South Fremantle's resrves coach which eventually led to him getting a gig at the Weagles.
It's a bit of a fairly tale story.

hammo
18th April 2008, 10:18 AM
Yep I've noticed this too.

If that is the act of a genius then there is hope for all of us.

goswannie14
18th April 2008, 11:47 AM
Another is that the midfielders are normally facing the ball rather than their man!That could be why Mathews is out of favour these days.

Go Swannies
18th April 2008, 12:39 PM
Swans' selection is based on peripheral vision and meditation success. It's working well - that's why "blind Baz" can land the perfect punch while never looking at his target. Training consists of tantric sex followed by the players heading to chez Roos to face outwards in a circle and visualise the ball clearing the centre and entering the forward 50.

Personally, I think doing this weekend's match-ups based on Kardinia Park's feng shui is going too far.

ScottH
18th April 2008, 01:28 PM
Swans' selection is based on peripheral vision and meditation success. It's working well - that's why "blind Baz" can land the perfect punch while never looking at his target. Training consists of tantric sex followed by the players heading to chez Roos to face outwards in a circle and visualise the ball clearing the centre and entering the forward 50.

Personally, I think doing this weekend's match-ups based on Kardinia Park's feng shui is going too far.

Yes Grasshopper.

Red
18th April 2008, 02:30 PM
I played against Mark Stone many years ago and he was only an Ovens and Murray reserves player.He then coached Wagga Tigers for a couple of years prior to Terry Daniher from memory.That was where Brett Kirk came across him,Kirky was playing for North Albury but going to uni in Wagga and trained with the Tigers.
Stone's big move was jagging a job as South Fremantle's resrves coach which eventually led to him getting a gig at the Weagles.
It's a bit of a fairly tale story.
Interesting stuff Maverick.

How did Stone do with the Tigers? I know TD was very successful with them, but did Stone lay the groundwork?

royboy42
18th April 2008, 02:54 PM

Good stuff Go Swannies..I was wondering why I saw a Sydney scout at Kardinia with a compass earlier this week

wedge.maverick
18th April 2008, 04:00 PM
Interesting stuff Maverick.

How did Stone do with the Tigers? I know TD was very successful with them, but did Stone lay the groundwork?

I've gone and got some facts Red and found that he coached after TD.So TD probably laid the ground work.Stone did well enough at Riverina level to win a First grade league medal in 1998.I played against him in about 1986/87.

satchmopugdog
18th April 2008, 05:05 PM

I'm envious...I wish I had posted that. Chuckled lots.