tasswan
19th April 2008, 05:42 PM
wouldnt have seen a 40+ loss after 3/4 time:(

573v30
And other one. We suck. :(

TheGrimReaper
we are luck to be that close. A lot more scoring shots.

Whatever..... Geelong was best throughout the day, weren't they?

Were you watching the same game as I were? :rolleyes:

gossipcom
19th April 2008, 05:43 PM
Off to watch the Dragons v Bulldogs match, might have some more hope there. :)

Zlatorog
Let's be honest, Geelong played better than us. We had one good quarter, the rest was just a disgrace as expected.

robamiee
shocking...what happened to the never give up, no matter what...

are we actually playing, have we had a touch in the last 5 minutes...

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 05:44 PM
Let's be honest, Geelong played better than us. We had one good quarter, the rest was just a disgrace as expected.
Pretty much.

Mel_C
This would be our biggest losing margin for awhile.

annew
How do you go from being 11 points down with 6 minutes to go to getting belted. If I were any of the Swans I would be furious with Barry Hall 'cos he has jeopordised the season. He deserves their wrath!!

TheGrimReaper
Blow the siren please!

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 05:45 PM
we are lucky to be that close. A lot more scoring shots.
Yep - 34 shots to 21 is usually a flogging.

Zlatorog
19th April 2008, 05:45 PM
I think they just gave up the same way they did against the Lions in 2003 PF.

TheGrimReaper
19th April 2008, 05:46 PM
Geelong didn't play that well and got a cheap late goals in the end, which didn't justify the margin and the closest of the game.

sfan
Whatever..... Geelong was best throughout the day, weren't they?

Were you watching the same game as I were? :rolleyes:

I would call 34 scoring shots to 22 and a 40 plus lost a flogging in the end.

hammo
The booing of Adam Goodes at opposition grounds is a disgrace.

cruiser
19th April 2008, 05:48 PM
I was just about to post the same. Totally unjustified. I cannot imagine booing a player just because he is a champion. I have lost all respect for Geelong supporters.

Swans500
Maybe one year we get to play them in Sydney........................

hammo
I thought the margin flattered Geelong. I would have expected more from the Swans in the last quarter though. It was a disapponting finish but somehow I don't think we'll be the only team to lose to Geelong this year...

robamiee
If I were any of the Swans I would be furious with Barry Hall 'cos he has jeopordised the season. He deserves their wrath!!

i think that is a bit of a stretch, considering we had nearly half the inside 50's compared to Geelong.

You cannot blame Hall for that...r u sure your not an Eagle fan...Ridiculous comment

swan_song
19th April 2008, 05:49 PM
I think they just gave up the same way they did against the Lions in 2003 PF.

Why? Do you think Roosie told them Cressa was retiring? Or maybe Bazza?
That was a lay-down Sally Robbins performance in the last quarter....disgraceful. But full marks to the Cats, they are without doubt in my mind the best team since Brizzie's 4 straight GFs....

TheGrimReaper
19th April 2008, 05:49 PM
I was just about to post the same. Totally unjustified. I cannot imagine booing a player just because he is a champion. I have lost all respect for Geelong supporters.

I never had respect for them, to begin with. Arrogant!

Zlatorog
19th April 2008, 05:50 PM

I think you can blame the Melbourne media for that, because they hinted that Adam is a protected player. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets booed on all games in Melbourne.

annew
19th April 2008, 05:52 PM
Maybe one year we get to play them in Sydney........................

We do later this year.

desredandwhite
19th April 2008, 05:52 PM
You know, I'm not normally satisfied with 40+ point losses - but as they go, that was not too bad. Gives us a really good idea where we are at. We did well when we didn't allow Geelong to control the midfield and feed their fast leading forwards - our defenders had no chance otherwise.

I'm happy that we were generally competitive, and I think we can hold our heads high - Geelong will take some beating this year (the return match will be very interesting!!!)

Another match that the Geelong scarf goes back to the top of our staircase rail... sigh.

satchmopugdog
19th April 2008, 05:54 PM
Cannot believe how harsh some of you are. We tried our guts out. We had a lot more inexperienced players than they did etc etc.

We showed that when they are under pressure they fumble like any other team. If they bleed etc etc.

Richards was great,Mattner battled outstandingly, some of our quick hands were fantastic. Disappointed we lost but not with the team members.

swansrule100
19th April 2008, 05:54 PM
we can take a lot out of the game except for the last 10 minutes. geelong went to a level we can only dream of. But i think we did a lot better than most sides in the comp would have. didnt deserve to get beaten by that much

pretty proud of the team, as proud as u can be with a loss

Teasdale77
19th April 2008, 05:55 PM
Mattner's kick in, Moore's miss, and the inability to put on the slightest pressure at the centre bounce cost the chance in the 4th. Richards was my standout until the last minutes when the game was lost.

And no matter how good SOG is, he'll always have the voice of an 11 year old boy. Get on the durries, son!

liz
19th April 2008, 05:56 PM
How do you go from being 11 points down with 6 minutes to go to getting belted. If I were any of the Swans I would be furious with Barry Hall 'cos he has jeopordised the season. He deserves their wrath!!

Given he wouldn't be playing regardless of his suspension, that's a bit of a daft comment. Should they also be livid with Spida and Malceski for hurting their knees?

I think some of the comments on here are a little disappointing. Sure, they got blown away in the end, but it sometimes happens when very good teams get on a roll. I don't think the Swans "gave up" in the final quarter. They just got outplayed.

We took it up to them for most of the game. We weren't good enough. But I saw enough to suggest that even without Hall we'll take it up to - and probably beat - most teams in the competition. And just have to hope that things start to unravel even a tad for Geelong as the season wears on. (Yes, wishful thinking I know - they are a superb team and GAB is a freak.)

TheMase
19th April 2008, 05:56 PM
Without Barry Hall, we seem far far too short up forward. We are one forward short. Many times the ball was kicked down, and there was nobody to take a mark. Their defenders towered over our forwards.

I don't know if White is ready, but we might have to bring someone in just to create a contest.

We also really lose out when Jolly is not in the ruck. LRT creates a contest, but really gives us a negative. After Jolly went off staggering, we really struggled. Even after he came back, he was not the same.

Bird played his best game. Barlow and Moore were lively. Jack had a lesson on Ablett but he will be better for it.

Smith I thought played pretty well for most part, will be better for the experience. Seems to have a bit of run and carry, and good hands. If he bulks up he'll make it.

Outside of that, good effort to get back into the game. Hopefully Kennelly back next week, and a tall target up forward.

bloodboy
19th April 2008, 05:58 PM
We suck

swansrule100
19th April 2008, 06:00 PM
Given he wouldn't be playing regardless of his suspension, that's a bit of a daft comment. Should they also be livid with Spida and Malceski for hurting their knees?

I think some of the comments on here are a little disappointing. Sure, they got blown away in the end, but it sometimes happens when very good teams get on a roll. I don't think the Swans "gave up" in the final quarter. They just got outplayed.

We took it up to them for most of the game. We weren't good enough. But I saw enough to suggest that even without Hall we'll take it up to - and probably beat - most teams in the competition. And just have to hope that things start to unravel even a tad for Geelong as the season wears on. (Yes, wishful thinking I know - they are a superb team and GAB is a freak.)

excellent comment, the reality is geelong are a way better side than us and we could of got done by a lot more at quarter time, they blew us away at the end especially ablett, but we can take a lot out of this game

swan_song
19th April 2008, 06:00 PM
If Moore had kicked that goal it might have deflated the Cats....MIGHT! But to get within 3points in the last quarter and to lose it by 42 really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, no matter how much sugar you dress it up with. I didn't expect them to win down there, but I did expect it to be closer than 7 goals at the end...

Legs Akimbo
19th April 2008, 06:01 PM
Nick Davis is the SOFTEST footballer I have ever seen...and that includes the preps in my daughter's Ozkick group. The way he shirks contests makes me sick. Honestly, wouldn't give a @@@@ if he never played again, although he will forever be in the Swan's hall of fame for the night he saved us.

My goodness Gary Ablett got 252 Age Pts...higher I've ever seen. I guess Jack finally found his match and then some.

Overall though, a brave effort and one we can walk away from with dignity, unlike some others.

robamiee
19th April 2008, 06:01 PM
i agree we played well, hard to jusge when only listening to the radio, just seemed to dissappear in the last 10, so couldn't see the effort when we started to get blown away...thats my only dissappointment that we lost by so much when we came so close...

the yngr guys though will be better for it reckon when they can see how fast the top teams go.

i reckon though we will be in the top 4 throughout the year, as long as we continue to play the way we have...

Jeffers1984
19th April 2008, 06:03 PM
cmon guys, you're all a bit to harsh here.
Despite the last 5 minutes that was probably the best game we've played against a team that is so far in front of the rest of the comp.

Plenty of positives to take out of that game.

The youngsters are just getting better and better. (Jack got destroyed but like Masey said, he will be better for it).

Jolly has just been immense being the sole ruckman and continued to battle on today.

Goodes is on his way there but his start is no way near as slow as last year.

Mattner battled hard but totally ran out of puff, Leo was brave and totally shut Hawkins out of the game in the 2nd half.

Kennelly, Malceski and Hall are 3 top 6 players in our side to come back.

Still Plenty to look forward too.

Good effort Swannies.

swansrule100
Nick Davis is the SOFTEST footballer I have ever seen...and that includes the preps in my daughter's Ozkick group. The way he shirks contests makes me sick. Honestly, wouldn't give a @@@@ if he never played again, although he will forever be in the Swan's hall of fame for the night he saved us.

My goodness Gary Ablett got 252 Age Pts...higher I've ever seen. I guess Jack finally found his match and then some.

Overall though, a brave effort and one we can walk away from with dignity, unlike some others.

i actually thought davis went in pretty hard today and applied good pressure even the commentry team mentioned it

robamiee
We suck

thats an educated comment....NOT...a real fan i gather...
i get bemused at some of our so called fans comments.

mcs
19th April 2008, 06:04 PM
I cant believe some of you people- sure the last quarter was bad and we really badly clocked off but we tried desperately hard all day and you never know- had Moore kicked the one he missed and got us within a kick we might of went on to win it. They kicked away and deserved the win, but we gave them an almighty shake. Once again we were hurt by a slow start, but by gee our team plays with some guts.

Oh my the love in in the channel 10 Commentary box was disgraceful. I bet they are still going at it now with thoughts of Ablett and co. How can you say after 6 rounds that they definetly wont get beaten this year. On another day we could of knocked them off today and last week St Kilda were well and truly in the game but then got stuffed by injuries and played the 2nd half with no bench. IMO they are far from the absolutely greatest mindblowing team that many would make you think they are. They are very very good, but gee Im not sure they are as good as some want to make them out to be? They are well out in front in the current competition that is for sure, but the way some talk about them they are already the greatest of all time.

Umpiring was alright today, but some calls still bewilder me. Was it just me or did it seem especially the start of the last quarter that we were allowed about 1/10th of a second to dispose of it when Geelong were giving 1/2 hour to get rid of it. Only one that really riled me was late in the third quarter when Scarlett was bringing it out of defence. Not only did he drop it cold but then should of been pinged for holding. But instead it ended up being a Geelong goal. What bugs me most is some of the soft frees that are given- every game it happens. Sometimes I feel that they just have to get in the game, but one day here they are going to cost a team a match when it really counts ie in the finals or on GF day.
Id like to see the incident that led to the Bartel free kick and goal at the end of the match- no sign of it on Channel 10 no suprise in that!

Overall Im disappointed in the final result, but gee your glass must be a lot more then half empty if you can't take a lot of positives out of that performance. The loss of the Irishman really hurt, but we stood up and while we didnt get the points gave a fine effort (Except for the last ten when we just gave up). If we build on that we will be right there come the end of season.

annew
19th April 2008, 06:05 PM
If Moore had kicked that goal it might have deflated the Cats....MIGHT! But to get within 3points in the last quarter and to lose it by 42 really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, no matter how much sugar you dress it up with. I didn't expect them to win down there, but I did expect it to be closer than 7 goals at the end...

Yep that's how I feel. As for my comment about Barry Hall his injury may or may not have happened but regardless of that his undisciplined action was alway going to get weeks the injury is another issue and injuries are unavoidable blatant undisciplined acts are avoidable.

liz
19th April 2008, 06:05 PM
Without Barry Hall, we seem far far too short up forward. We are one forward short. Many times the ball was kicked down, and there was nobody to take a mark. Their defenders towered over our forwards.

I don't know if White is ready, but we might have to bring someone in just to create a contest.

We also really lose out when Jolly is not in the ruck. LRT creates a contest, but really gives us a negative. After Jolly went off staggering, we really struggled. Even after he came back, he was not the same.

Bird played his best game. Barlow and Moore were lively. Jack had a lesson on Ablett but he will be better for it.

Smith I thought played pretty well for most part, will be better for the experience. Seems to have a bit of run and carry, and good hands. If he bulks up he'll make it.

Outside of that, good effort to get back into the game. Hopefully Kennelly back next week, and a tall target up forward.

Pertinent comments.

I know we keep going on about our kids but they did nothing to let us down today. And another one was plucked from nowhere and didn't look out of place.

Agree that we need one more tall target. Maybe Spida might be back next week and can be eased into it by being plonked in the goal square.

I think, though, that today more demonstrated that we need that extra grunt and class in the middle. That's where we were beaten in the end, despite doing well in there for 3/4s. Smith, Jack etc might be part of the answer but it's going to take them a year or three to bulk up enough to be a real presence when the going gets hot.

shaun..
19th April 2008, 06:06 PM
Great effort for 2 1/2 quarters, a bit stiff for Geelong to win by that margin.

alison.z
19th April 2008, 06:06 PM
I thought it was a good game and we played really well against an exceptional team!!!

the blow out at the end of the game was dissapointing but i think the effort was pretty good ....

jolly was awesome as our sole ruckman and the youngsters are developing well ...

there are many promising signs for this season and it's really exciting!!

Mike_B
19th April 2008, 06:07 PM
Disappointed for the boys - they didn't deserve a 7 goal loss. I felt a margin in the 20s would have been a fair reflection of the game. Yes they were the better team, but we really took it up to them. After their goal following Moore's miss, we got absolutely smashed out of the centre, unable to get a touch, and they showed why they are so far ahead of any other team in the comp.

Good signs to see the younger/less experienced players really stepping up - it's a strong sign for the future.

I know it's harsh to single one player out, but Mattner's terrible disposal really stood out today.

satchmopugdog
19th April 2008, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=Legs Akimbo;373686]Nick Davis is the SOFTEST footballer I have ever seen...and that includes the preps in my daughter's Ozkick group. The way he shirks contests makes me sick. Honestly, wouldn't give a @@@@ if he never played again, although he will forever be in the Swan's hall of fame for the night he saved us.

QUOTE]

You haven't seen Spud play in one of our school teams..... legend but

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 06:08 PM
I thought the margin flattered Geelong.The margin wasn't too far off an accurate reflection of the game (possibly a couple of goals too much). They dominated two quarters with good football. We drag them back to our level through great pressure and win a quarter. They dominate much of the third but can't kick straight.

TheMase
Speak about the commentary

Did anyone hear this call from Robert Walls?

"Sydney have done really well today with argueably their two most important players out in Kennelly and Hall."
"Geelong are becoming invincible"

Said them together, it was something to that effect. He says in one breath that the Swans were close without two of their best players, and then says Geelong can't lose?

alison.z
I know it's harsh to single one player out, but Mattner's terrible disposal really stood out today.

It's true though .... i think it was something like 3 of mattner's mistakes resulted directly in 3 cats goals

harsh but fair - something that definitely needs working on!!

NMWBloods
I know it's harsh to single one player out, but Mattner's terrible disposal really stood out today.ROK's was possibly as bad or worse - 11 kicks, 9 ineffective.

alison.z
19th April 2008, 06:09 PM
at least ROk was in and under and taking marks - he just couldn't kick straight at goal to save the life of him

mcs
19th April 2008, 06:10 PM
Robert Walls is a k**bhead of the highest degree- he really does talk garbage a lot of the time. The sad thing is he makes some really good points at times but then the rest of the time just goes on about absolute trash. That was a classic Walls moment Mase it really was!

Alison
19th April 2008, 06:10 PM
Gees, they tried hard today. Pity we lost by the amount we did in the end. Just could not get the clearances in the last quarter which also led to the ball flying down into Geelong's forward 50. Also struggled for a forward focal point.

For me, Leo played his best game this season - 2 weeks in a row he has kept his opponent goal-less. Think he has had only 8 goals kicked on him this year and 5 were from Bradshaw. Really thought he stood up today. Did not think it was holding the ball either!!

Richards was also really good. Pity Mooney got those goals in the last quarter.

Goodes also stepped up after half time.

Really they should be proud of themselves - Geelong just had the legs in the last quarter and converted their goals.

mcs
19th April 2008, 06:12 PM
just adding one more point. We have got to stop wasting our opportunites in front of goal. Granted Geelong missed a lot too, but poor old Goodes and O'Keefe couldnt kick for the life of them today. If you are going to beat a team like Geelong you have to take every opportunity you get.

Alison
19th April 2008, 06:13 PM
We really should have not let them get so far ahead at quarter time - we had opportunities but could not kick goals.

573v30
19th April 2008, 06:13 PM
Speak about the commentary

Did anyone hear this call from Robert Walls?

"Sydney have done really well today with argueably their two most important players out in Kennelly and Hall."
"Geelong are becoming invincible"

Typical Walls commentary. :rolleyes:

bloodboy
19th April 2008, 06:14 PM
thats an educated comment....NOT...a real fan i gather...
i get bemused at some of our so called fans comments.

Hahaha...yeah, real fans can never be critical of their football team...hahaha...whateva! I am just very disappointed that we lost by the margin we did...oh, no, wait, we were AWESOME, we're gonna win the flag now! Am I a real fan now?

satchmopugdog
19th April 2008, 06:15 PM
Brennan's kicks were accurate today..not many but accurate so that is one more positive.

The umpires gave us a decent run at one stage so that's another.

BUT I STILL HATE LOSING. You would think I would be used to it having barracked for the Swans for so long and living in Tassie and coaching the library moniters. Off to go and pull some weeds out to get rid of my frustrations

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 06:16 PM
For me, Leo played his best game this season - 2 weeks in a row he has kept his opponent goal-less. I thought Hawkins beat him clearly, and when he moved onto Johnson for a short while he was beaten again too.

bloodboy
19th April 2008, 06:18 PM
I thought Hawkins beat him clearly, and when he moved onto Johnson for a short while he was beaten again too.

Yeah, agree with this. It ain't all about the goals. Good that his opponents aren't kicking goals but Tomahawk played what was arguably his best game for the Cats without kicking a bag. Barry beaten IMO.

mcs
19th April 2008, 06:18 PM
Leo I thought was excellent bringing it out of defence but struggled when he was defending. But saying that I dont think he should have been given Hawkins either- granted he might not be their best forward yet but he's a brute and Leo Barry simply should not be asked anymore to take the really big man. Saying that he did make a few crucial interceptions and punched it clear a couple of times. He certainly is doing far better then last year that is for sure.

swansrule100
19th April 2008, 06:21 PM
leo is frustrating. i actually think hes past it

liz
19th April 2008, 06:23 PM
I thought Hawkins/ Leo was a game of two halves. Leo was clearly beaten (by a guy whose, what 4 or 5 inches taller than him and way bigger all round) in the first half but I thought his job on him in the second half was sensational.

All in all I'd put Leo in one of our best two or three out there for his efforts and leadership in the second half.

Indeed most of the good players were playing in the back half. After falling into a shambles with the speed and quality of ball in the first quarter, I thought that as a group they didn't do too badly. Even with all the scoring shots in the second half, it could have been a darned sight worse had the defence not pressurised the way it did. But we clearly missed the speed of Kennelly bringing the ball out.

mcs
19th April 2008, 06:24 PM
I certainly think as a defender he is very close to past it but he does give good run- but without the Irishman there he really struggles to get a good disposal at the end of the run. He is far too indecisive a lot of the time when he runs it out. Still has plenty of worth to the team I feel, but no longer can he play on the main forwards. That job simply has to go to Bolton 1st, and from what we've seen this season Teddy Richards 2nd. Perhaps we should try pushing Leo up onto a wing perhaps? Granted he doesnt have great leg speed but he has a good kick on him and he isnt scared to take them on.

swan_song
19th April 2008, 06:24 PM
It was a familiar story, reminiscent of previous years (well, last year, the year before that, and the one before that...et al)....it's actually hard to win games when you give your opponents a four or five goal head start before you turn up to play...
But on the positive side, after allowing them that first quarter lead they only outscored us by a couple more goals....now that's a positive :D

Alison
19th April 2008, 06:25 PM
Totally disagree. Leo played well. Think Roosey would have been wrapped Hawkins was getting his possession well up the ground. Think Roosey would have conceeded that. Must have been watching a different game. Hawkins got a little bit of the ball early on up the ground but did nothing with it. Hawkins was no stand out for me. I really thought Leo did well today - few runs, great spoils, he was really trying. Created 2 goals as well. Both Leo and Richards were are best defenders. Thought Bolton and Mattner were a bit down to their usual standards today.

mcs
19th April 2008, 06:28 PM
you are exactly right swan_song you have to when playing quality sides not let them get away early. And we were punished for it tonight, and in a different sort of way were punished when we played St Kilda in rd 1 (Not so much on the scoreboard but the fact we lost a very winnable game).

Huge match now next week, we really need a win so as to not waste our overall very positive start to the season. For if we could come out of 6 rounds with a win loss of 4-2 then we have to be pleased with that start of the season and have given ourselves a great chance to be right up there. 3-3 perhaps would not be so good. But saying that, I definetly would of taken 3-3 before a ball was bounced.

Jeffers1984
19th April 2008, 06:28 PM
I was pretty positive in my initial post but i have to put in a few negatives actually only one....

JUDE BOLTON. Seriously this guy needs to be dropped now. Skills have fallen into a heap and when he is not winning much ball like he was in his prime, he is absolutely an liability out there. Tim Schmidt is still out but if he wasn't, Jude would be in Canberra.

rwgirl
19th April 2008, 06:29 PM
I think if we'd had Tadhgh and Spider, we could have won today....so I don't think Geelong are invincible.

I hoped we'd win, and thought this game would be a good indictation of how we'll go....and I think we've got the potential for a great season.

hammo
19th April 2008, 06:33 PM
so I don't think Geelong are invincible.

Nor do I and the Swans showed how they're beatable if you can maintain pressure on them - you have to take your chances in front of goal though.

Which makes it quite laughable that Walls, Lane et al were speculating about an unbeaten season.

thejones,s
19th April 2008, 06:34 PM
totally agree bolton should be in canberra...

but then again so should Leo...he seems to be getting caught with the ball all to often these days...thinking his magic is going "poof"

MarshallG
19th April 2008, 06:35 PM
I think if we'd had Tadhgh and Spider, we could have won today....so I don't think Geelong are invincible.

I hoped we'd win, and thought this game would be a good indictation of how we'll go....and I think we've got the potential for a great season.

Agree.

We were poor getting it into inside 50 today.

The final scoreboard robbed us of a good effort.

The way we let them get away in the final quarter was a bit of a worry.

swansrule100
19th April 2008, 06:35 PM

egan and ottens out though

Alison
19th April 2008, 06:36 PM
Well has "poof" magic paid off today. Just the one holding the ball (which is debatable) and good disposal of the ball.

SCGonasunnyday
19th April 2008, 06:37 PM
ahh I feel a bit flat given the scoreline in the end but I think we have shown that we can beat Geelong.

If I recall in 2005 West Coast beat us by 40 something points in subiaco, we then beat them at the scg, then they beat us by 4 points in the QF and then the GF we did ok.

September is what matters and I think that we have the team to trouble geelong in september if we get to face them (away from skilled stadium).

Alison
19th April 2008, 06:39 PM
and 17 possessions to his opponents 12. Had one point kicked on him. Hawkins was playing full forward.

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 06:40 PM
Nor do I and the Swans showed how they're beatable if you can maintain pressure on them - you have to take your chances in front of goal though.Absolutely and you have to maintain that pressure all game. I saw much the same thing when I went to see Geelong v. StKilda last week. Under pressure Geelong were brought pack to the pack and looked beatable. But they keep on playing their game and usually eventually the opposition wilts. This is why Collingwood managed to get so close in the PF last year - they maintained the pressure all game.

thejones,s
19th April 2008, 06:41 PM
IMO he is still a scary prospect in front of goal..to indecisive for mine.......

MarshallG
Percentage has taken a hit too.

mcs
you are correct SCGonasunnyday re: West Coast flogging us early on in 05, but I think Geelong are a far better team then West Coast were. I also do agree taht I think we can beat geelong, but come finals time they will play 3x better at least then they did today, and Im not sure we have that much improvement in us. But by gee if we got it right for 4 quarters on the day, I reckon we could beat them.
Geelong are a super footy team no doubt, but this season I reckon they have looked far from invincible and it only takes an injury or two to change things very quickly.

swan_song
19th April 2008, 06:42 PM

absolutely... In our best 22 you'd have to have Hall, the Irishman (can't spell Tadhg), Malcheski, Spida, and serious consideration would need to be given to Henry, Benny, Crouchie and Fozzie :D . Take them out and our weaknesses are exposed (mainly leg speed and tall marking forwards)...

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 06:42 PM
Another point about ROK's poor disposal - how shocking was his kick into the F50 when MOL was one-out against Scarlett! Instead of kicking it low and in front, he kicked it high, making MOL stretch upwards and allowing Scarlett to spoil. Very poor football.

DeadlyAkkuret
19th April 2008, 06:43 PM
Are we still top 4?

ROK Lobster
19th April 2008, 06:44 PM
We showed that Geelong are beatable, but Geelong showed why they rarely are. Twice Sydney got close and twice Geelong pulled away. Geelong will only be beaten by a team that can maintain pressure like Sydney did around the ball, and convert that into scoreboard pressure. We matched them in quarters 2 and 3. They smashed us in the 1st and the 4th. In all reality, we were not close to beating them today, and anyone who thinks otherwise could only be a "real fan".

liz
19th April 2008, 06:44 PM
Another point about ROK's poor disposal - how shocking was his kick into the F50 when MOL was one-out against Scarlett! Instead of kicking it low and in front, he kicked it high, making MOL stretch upwards and allowing Scarlett to spoil. Very poor football.

But Micky likes taking them over the back and I think that is what he was trying to achieve. Badly executed agreed. I actually think a better option was for him to let Micky lead Scarlet away from the goals and then run in and have a shot himself. He maybe didn't realise how much space he had on the next chasing opponent.

rwgirl
19th April 2008, 06:47 PM
absolutely... In our best 22 you'd have to have Hall, the Irishman (can't spell Tadhg), Malcheski, Spida, and serious consideration would need to be given to Henry, Benny, Crouchie and Fozzie . Take them out and our weaknesses are exposed (mainly leg speed and tall marking forwards)...
Davis wouldn't be in my top 22 though....he had his opportunity today to step up.....and he didn't

satchmopugdog
19th April 2008, 06:47 PM
We showed that Geelong are beatable, but Geelong showed why they rarely are. Twice Sydney got close and twice Geelong pulled away. Geelong will only be beaten by a team that can maintain pressure like Sydney did around the ball, and convert that into scoreboard pressure. We matched them in quarters 2 and 3. They smashed us in the 1st and the 4th. In all reality, we were not close to beating them today, and anyone who thinks otherwise could only be a "real fan".

Yep..that is correct. They were too bloody good. The positives I am getting out of the game are only to make me stop me slitting my wrists.

mcs
19th April 2008, 06:50 PM
ROK while I can see your logic and agree that we were not close to beating them, we also got within just over a kick early on in the last quarter with a kick for goal. If that had of went through you never know. That is close- granted over 4 quarters we might not have been particulary close but footy is a funny game and I dont think you can say we didnt get close to pulling off the upset. I guess there is a difference imo between beating a team on the scoreboard and in the whole context of the match.

ROK Lobster
19th April 2008, 06:52 PM
Davis wouldn't be in my top 22 though....he had his opportunity today to step up.....and he didn't
Davis was alright today. Clearly as good as MOL, probably better. Stayed pretty much forward where there was not a lot of ball, and very little clean ball. Seemed to be working hard off the ball. His pressure led to a goal in the third - when he was in the middle. Was not the only thing that contributed to the goal but it caused the turn over. Thought he did some smart things around goal too that could have led to goals on another day. Certainly was not a stand out but plenty here seem to think that unless he does stand out he has had a bad day.

anne
19th April 2008, 06:58 PM
Really let themselves down today. A close loss would have seen us maintain 4th position. Surprising, as it is not often we see them give in.

liz
19th April 2008, 06:59 PM
ROK while I can see your logic and agree that we were not close to beating them, we also got within just over a kick early on in the last quarter with a kick for goal. If that had of went through you never know. That is close- granted over 4 quarters we might not have been particulary close but footy is a funny game and I dont think you can say we didnt get close to pulling off the upset. I guess there is a difference imo between beating a team on the scoreboard and in the whole context of the match.

Understand where you're coming from, but we were so comprehensively beaten out of the middle in the final quarter that it's hard to imagine that missed shot would have made any difference.

I think more telling were the misses earlier in the game, especially Goodes' and O'Keefe's. We were always chasing tail such that even when we were playing keepings off in the third term, Geelong were still in control on the scoreboard. Had we made them expend a bit more energy chasing us around in that quarter because we were level or slightly ahead on the scoreboard, they might not have been able to run over us at the end.

I think we can beat them at home later in the season but only if everything goes right. Which means we need close to our best team in and for the young'uns that remain in the team to have gotten even better as they get more experience. (And hopefully Gary Ablett missing!!)

And I reckon the Hawks will give them a run for their money too.

stellation
19th April 2008, 06:59 PM
Well it was an interesting game.

DeadlyAkkuret
19th April 2008, 07:01 PM
Really let themselves down today. A close loss would have seen us maintain 4th position. Surprising, as it is not often we see them give in.

We are still 4th, with little chance of anyone else passing us this round. The game against the Kangaroos is now very important. If we win then we maintain our good form and stay in the top 4, if we lose we've basically wasted a great start to the season.

ScottH
19th April 2008, 07:02 PM
Davis was alright today. Clearly as good as MOL, probably better. Both as bad as each other today I think. :frown

gossipcom
19th April 2008, 07:03 PM
We'll keep 4th position. It all depends on the Pies v Kangaroos match who wins that match as to who will get 5th. Adelaide's % didn't go above ours with a 17 point win.

Our percentage is now 128.69%

Zlatorog
19th April 2008, 07:08 PM
Both as bad as each other today I think. :frown

You might put Goodes into this mix as well. He was caught napping as well.

gossipcom
19th April 2008, 07:10 PM
To Goodes credit, at least he tried to get something moving a few times and also helped with the ruck.

Magic setting up the one good goal, while Davo did the same for another, rest of the time those two were MIA.

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 07:12 PM
There wasn't a lot of opportunity today. Our forward entries were generally poor. He was just average but then there were a few others like that.

I note Luke Darcy said that the Swans should be reasonably pleased with Davis' chasing and endeavour today.

Diamond Jim
19th April 2008, 07:15 PM
You know, I'm not normally satisfied with 40+ point losses - but as they go, that was not too bad. Gives us a really good idea where we are at.

I agree - Bloods have three key players out - Hall, Everett and Kennelly -

The break out in the last 10 was due to only having one ruckman - and a backline with some inexperience.

I like the kids, but Roosy has to give some thought to either Crouch or Matthews...we have one too many newbies who were looking for nanna in the last 10.

On Channel 10 - the sly digs will keep coming after the Swans complained about Lane - maybe a petiton to the AFL is in order - but it would have to come from the the membership base.

ONE LAST THING - ITs "shot AT goal" - dont be cretins all your lives and follow some mindless old WA slob who decided it was clever to say "on"...exercise your education/intellect - people will respect you more for it.

and thanks for the commentary.

Cheers.

TheHood
19th April 2008, 07:19 PM
So many observations on today's game but I believe it was winable if we had kept our composure at "those" moments.

Some poor disposal from almost everyone and the speed at which Geelong closed in to tackle when we needed to get rid of it a step earlier, the Perps were:

Birdy
Craig
Goodes (running into goal)
and there were others

Leo was superb, played a captain's knock. Hope Barry Hall took notes on the kinda ticker that he used to have and let go. I wished he was there. He would have been able to contest with Scarlett under the hard earned 50 entries.

Nick Davis may indeed be relegated to the ressies again. He was shown for his lack of everything apart from a dead-eye set shot kick. It's not good enough, he can't jump, can't run and didn't have his footing at vital times. One small defensive effort and a single goal was all that was memorable.

swans_premiers
19th April 2008, 07:20 PM

Malceski aswell.

DeadlyAkkuret
19th April 2008, 07:20 PM
I think you could add Malceski to that list, DJ:)

EDIT: Beat me to it!

rwgirl
19th April 2008, 07:21 PM
My point about David ws, that today was his chance to shine....and he didn't.

Goodes had some good patches....plus we know how well he, and Mickey, can play.

It's hard to tell from watching a TV game, but Davis seemed lazy and just not good enough.

swans_premiers
19th April 2008, 07:27 PM
Davis gave a couple of free kicks away for hands in the back at very very costly times.

ROK Lobster
19th April 2008, 07:28 PM

It's hard to tell from watching a TV game, but Davis seemed lazy and just not good enough.22 had a chance to shine, and didn't. When did Davis look lazy?

liz
19th April 2008, 07:28 PM
I don't know that Davo was lazy. I think he just lacks a trick or two in his bag. Those he has are very very good and have got him to where he is. But he has almost no jumping ability, and he's also pretty ordinary at using his body to create an advantage in marking contest. He reads the ball pretty well so if he manages to get in front in a one-on-one and the ball is slightly to his advantage, he's a pretty good contested mark. But he doesn't seem to be able to turn a 40/60 contest into a 60/40 one in the way the best forwards can.

In a crowded forward line, with hapharzard delivery forward, he's always going to struggle in the air.

hammo
19th April 2008, 07:29 PM
Nick Davis may indeed be relegated to the ressies again. He was shown for his lack of everything apart from a dead-eye set shot kick. It's not good enough, he can't jump, can't run and didn't have his footing at vital times. One small defensive effort and a single goal was all that was memorable.

What did O'Loughlin do that was memorable?

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 07:29 PM

Goodes had some good patches....plus we know how well he, and Mickey, can play.

It's hard to tell from watching a TV game, but Davis seemed lazy and just not good enough.

Davis gave a couple of free kicks away for hands in the back at very very costly times.And so the myth continues and gains further credence...

hammo
19th April 2008, 07:30 PM
Did Cheese play the second half? I hardly sighted him therefore I suspect he may have been off injured (could be wrong).

573v30
19th April 2008, 07:32 PM
Might as well play without a forward line. :rolleyes:

ROK Lobster
19th April 2008, 07:34 PM
I don't know that Davo was lazy. I think he just lacks a trick or two in his bag. Those he has are very very good and have got him to where he is. But he has almost no jumping ability, and he's also pretty ordinary at using his body to create an advantage in marking contest. He reads the ball pretty well so if he manages to get in front in a one-on-one and the ball is slightly to his advantage, he's a pretty good contested mark. But he doesn't seem to be able to turn a 40/60 contest into a 60/40 one in the way the best forwards can.

In a crowded forward line, with hapharzard delivery forward, he's always going to struggle in the air.I reckon Davis is often good at working out where it is going to end up. Often he goes there, and ends up with the ball. If it doesn't he can be miles off his man and looking the fool. I think he has lost the confidence to leave his man in the forward line and look for the uncontested possessions, or has been told not to. He is an opportunist at the best of times. He wont kick goals without opportunities, and they did not come his way today.

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 07:34 PM
Might as well play without a forward line. :rolleyes:
Given the way the ball is delivered in there, sometimes I wonder if the rest of the team think they already are...

ROK Lobster
19th April 2008, 07:36 PM
Nick Davis may indeed be relegated to the ressies again. He was shown for his lack of everything apart from a dead-eye set shot kick. It's not good enough, he can't jump, can't run and didn't have his footing at vital times. One small defensive effort and a single goal was all that was memorable.Maybe he should have king hit someone off the ball. Everyone remembers those incidents.

satchmopugdog
19th April 2008, 07:45 PM
What did O'Loughlin do that was memorable?

One instance was early in the game when he was working in a phone box on the boundary and got a beautiful pass to someone in front of goal. Another instance was late in the game when he was running with his hands on the ground and got the ball out to one of us . A couple of his pieces of brillance got us goals that kept us in it.
Neither he nor Davis had much opportunity

ROK Lobster
19th April 2008, 07:47 PM
One instance was early in the game when he was working in a phone box on the boundary and got a beautiful pass to someone in front of goal.Yes, and the reason he got the ball was because Davis had been skilful enough to keep the ball alive - rather than force a stoppage. I thought both pieces of play were fairly memorable.

satchmopugdog
19th April 2008, 07:48 PM
Yes, and the reason he got the ball was because Davis had been skilful enough to keep the ball alive - rather than force a stoppage. I thought both pieces of play were fairly memorable.

You are correct.

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 07:49 PM
Certainly was not a stand out but plenty here seem to think that unless he does stand out he has had a bad day.Yes - undoubtedly judged against a different benchmark to many other players.

Matt79
19th April 2008, 07:58 PM
I was mighty proud of the boys today and the effort and spirit they played with. Just a shame we were blown away in the final 10 minutes.

As Hammo mentioned earlier, had we taken more opportunities in front of goal we may just have got over the line or at least within a couple of goals.

Thought just about everyone contributed today. Poor Micky O was always going to struggle on Scarlett. He is most dangerous when he has the 2nd or 3rd best defender. This is probably where Hall's absence has the most influence. He would get the best defender, Micky O 2nd and Davis 3rd, however that all gets upgraded and does not make them as dangerous.

Jolly was better today, Richards kept Mooney quiet whilst Bird probably had the most disposals so far personally in his first 5 games.

That loss won't hurt as long as we back up with the same intensity and effort next week against the Roos. Win that and we are firmly back on track. Lose it and we are back in the pack and the "No Hall, no Sydney" chant may get louder.

stellation
19th April 2008, 08:20 PM
And so the myth continues and gains further credence...
I'm quite suprised that people thought him that bad he should be sent back to Canberra. Our midfield was smashed. It happens. Forwards aren't going to get too much decent delivery when the midfield is smashed.

ScottH
19th April 2008, 08:32 PM

Apparently, people will get upset if I include Goodes in that list.

swantastic
19th April 2008, 08:49 PM
1 word for the last qtr.....PATHETIC

It was embarrassing to be there.:mad:

ScottH
19th April 2008, 08:54 PM
1 word for the last qtr.....PATHETIC

It was embarrassing to be there.:mad:

1st quarter was pathetic too.

Our skills that were fairly poor against WC, but they were worse, showed in that 1st qtr. We clawed our way back in the 2nd by manning up. Held our own in the 3rd. And lost the plot in the 4th.

But Geelong are a classy side, whilst a disappointing result, we kept them scoreless for quote a while which not many teams can do. As Des said elsewhere, it was almost an honourable defeat.

liz
19th April 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm quite suprised that people thought him that bad he should be sent back to Canberra. Our midfield was smashed. It happens. Forwards aren't going to get too much decent delivery when the midfield is smashed.

Yeah, but think of the ressies team. I reckon he ought to fly up to Canberra tomorrow afternoon and back up.

Only 12 listed players last week, no-one to come in (except maybe Vez, depending on why he missed last week) and two extra players on the club injury (bad boy) list. Someone's going to have to play a blinder for them to be competitive tomorrow. Why not Davo?;)

swantastic
19th April 2008, 09:06 PM
1st quarter was pathetic too.

Our skills that were fairly poor against WC, but they were worse, showed in that 1st qtr. We clawed our way back in the 2nd by manning up. Held our own in the 3rd. And lost the plot in the 4th.

But Geelong are a classy side, whilst a disappointing result, we kept them scoreless for quote a while which not many teams can do. As Des said elsewhere, it was almost an honourable defeat.
IMHO it wasnt honourable at all,we were @@@@ in the 1st and 4th qtr's,plain and simple.

ScottH
19th April 2008, 09:19 PM
IMHO it wasnt honourable at all,we were @@@@ in the 1st and 4th qtr's,plain and simple.

They are the best team in the competition ATM by a country mile.
We kept within range up till 3/4 time. Then, they did as they do to most teams. and played outstanding footy.
No one could stop GAJ, or Wojinski, for that matter. They run hard and support each other.

liz
19th April 2008, 09:24 PM
They are also chocka-block with confidence at the moment. Which makes it easier to play on, take risks etc etc.

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 09:36 PM
How awesome was Wojak's run and dodge through the centre (and then put it OOTF).

Nico
19th April 2008, 09:39 PM
Agree.

We were poor getting it into inside 50 today.

The final scoreboard robbed us of a good effort.

The way we let them get away in the final quarter was a bit of a worry.

We didn't deserve to loose by that much I agree, but the reason we didn't get it into 50 often enough (57 to 30 odd were the stats) was because we stuffed around over possessing inside the corridor instead of kicking long and quickly into the forward line. I was standing up the outer end goals and looking down the ground, it was obvious so many times that if we took a long kick instead of an extra handball for a turnover, we had 2 players one out against their opponents which would put so much more pressure on the defenders. Pretty stupid lateral footy much of the time.

In the first half almost all of their goals came from our dumb turnovers, where they whipped it away and our blokes were caught flat footed.

I thought Bevan and Mcveigh got a bit more of the footy but boy they did some dumb things. The memorable Mcveigh out on the full, and Bevo goes across the HB line into traffic when 3 players had broken down the wing and we had a clear run into goal. Must have kicked to one of his mates.

For almost 3 quarters we more than matched them. The first Q blitz was caused by our turnovers and when Jolly went off at the 20 minute mark of the last Q Geelong got every centre break easily and scored goals from 5 out of 6 centre breaks. I thought in the middle quarters we clearly won the clearances.

I wasn't the only one at the game perplexed at Ryan O'Keefe's refusal to have a shot at goal. First Q marks on 50 metres and tries to kick to Davis on the point post. 3rd Q wheeels onto left about 40 out and dinks a little one to nowhere. Last Q at least 5 times tried to bob little kicks to nothing for turn overs when he was on his left inside 50. Last time I remember he was a forward, forwards are paid to kick goals so why in the hell is he so gun shy. Top of the square at least Ryan or even better get yourself to the top of the square occasionally.

How stiff was Jack with that charity to Ablett when he was over the ball and Jack did the perfect roll tackle. That and Jolly going off were the turning points.

Ed Barlow did a little cameo in the 2nd Q and almost disappeared for the rest of the game. He did an O'Keefe and decided to handball to Moore under extreme pressure after he marked on the 50. If Bevan can kick one from 45 then surely ROK and barlow can.

Why do we let Mattner kick out?

We will struggle to kick goals with that forward structure. We need a big body target and the only one is White. ROK refuses to play close to goals or drift there, MOL is no longer a key forward, Nick Davis is an inigma, Jude is a waste of space, Goodes is an on baller, LRT is a CHB and nothing else and Barlow is an onballer.

LRT was ordinary.

Someone mentioned Jude Bolton. Lamentable when the ball is not near him, doesn't run with a player and another who did a 10 metre pass to MOL when he was 35 out and clear.

Having said the above our middle 2 Q's were very good and first 20 minutes of the last Q was pretty good.

ScottH
19th April 2008, 09:51 PM
How awesome was Wojak's run and dodge through the centre (and then put it OOTF).

He could teach Leo how to avoid tacklers.

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 09:53 PM
We didn't deserve to loose by that much I agree, but the reason we didn't get it into 50 often enough (57 to 30 odd were the stats) was because we stuffed around over possessing inside the corridor instead of kicking long and quickly into the forward line. I was standing up the outer end goals and looking down the ground, it was obvious so many times that if we took a long kick instead of an extra handball for a turnover, we had 2 players one out against their opponents which would put so much more pressure on the defenders. Pretty stupid lateral footy much of the time.This was thing I particularly noticed comparing our game to Geelong's. We would rush the ball to the centre, then slow down and go sideways, and then try to spot up a pass out near the boundary line. However, Geelong would get to the centre and keep going down the corridor and kick the ball in quickly, trusting their forwards to win in an even contest, which they will do much of the time.

Bevo goes across the HB line into traffic when 3 players had broken down the wing and we had a clear run into goal. Must have kicked to one of his mates.Bevan may have had one of his better games, but nearly every disposal is backwards or sideways or <20m.

For almost 3 quarters we more than matched them. I think we matched them by dragging them back to us.

Why do we let Mattner kick out?Who else will? He really doesn't make too many mistakes.

Someone mentioned Jude Bolton. Lamentable when the ball is not near him, doesn't run with a player and another who did a 10 metre pass to MOL when he was 35 out and clear.I was going to, but it's the same thing most weeks - doesn't get the ball enough and doesn't do enough with it.

DeadlyAkkuret
19th April 2008, 09:55 PM
I think we matched them by dragging them back to us.

Is there another option? I hate when people mention this like it's a negative thing.

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 09:56 PM
Is there another option? I hate when people mention this like it's a negative thing.
The other option is to improve your own game.

ScottH
19th April 2008, 09:57 PM

I thought we did improve by taking a few risks and being a bit more creative.
Caused Geelong a few headaches.

Nico
19th April 2008, 09:59 PM

I agree with Deadly, I reckon we got back into the game in the 2nd Q with some darn good footy.

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 09:59 PM
I thought we did improve by taking a few risks and being a bit more creative.
Caused Geelong a few headaches.
I think there was a bit of a mix, but overall I don't think we played particularly well, but rather we applied good pressure to choke the game down a bit. Still, I thought we looked a bit more attacking than we used to slow the game down (like the Hawthorn game early last year).

dimelb
19th April 2008, 10:01 PM
I wasn't the only one at the game perplexed at Ryan O'Keefe's refusal to have a shot at goal. First Q marks on 50 metres and tries to kick to Davis on the point post. 3rd Q wheels onto left about 40 out and dinks a little one to nowhere. Last Q at least 5 times tried to bob little kicks to nothing for turn overs when he was on his left inside 50. Last time I remember he was a forward, forwards are paid to kick goals so why in the hell is he so gun shy. Top of the square at least Ryan or even better get yourself to the top of the square occasionally.

How stiff was Jack with that charity to Ablett when he was over the ball and Jack did the perfect roll tackle. That and Jolly going off were the turning points.

Strongly agree with these comments. Our accuracy has not improved and we are paying for it. And I felt sorry for Jack; Gablett was outstanding today and at that point played the ump as well as he played the ball. As for turning points I'd add the free to Bartel miles behind the play - perhaps the ump saw what happened to Baz last week and decided to give the forwards a turn?
But overall we just didn't play well enough. The thing that worried me most was that Geelong seemed to have more legs than we did in the last ten minutes. I like to think that shouldn't happen.:)

Nico
19th April 2008, 10:04 PM
NMW, Mattner takes too long to kick out. He missed a couple of players on their own by being too hesitant. He had the time where he stuffed around, was told to play on then back tracked for a point. Then he kicked straight to Geelong player in the last Q. He kicked out to Mcveigh who gloriously put it out on the full when if he was quicker he had a player on his own for an eternity further up the ground with a paddock ahead of him.

To a point I thought our backline played OK until late in the game when they seemed to be way off their men when they got those quick centre breaks.

swantastic
19th April 2008, 10:10 PM
I reckon we got back into the game in the 2nd Q with some darn good footy.Is that you Nico:confused: or is some body else using your user name.?

swantastic
19th April 2008, 10:12 PM
They will bitch about anything down there :)

I'm married to one of the 1% of them who is rational, apparently.

Maybe this last quarter will help to bring on the baby, who is being quite stubborn at the minuet.....Was she looking over your shoulder when you posted this post,by any chance?

Nico
19th April 2008, 10:17 PM
Is that you Nico:confused: or is some body else using your user name.?

I'm back, your worst nightmare. Do I note a bit of sarcasm there. Yes I thought we were right in it when Moore missed that goal with some genuinely tough and at times brilliant running football.

I think you perhaps misunderstand me. I have only seriously sunk the slipper into Jude this season with a little left over for Bevan.

swantastic
19th April 2008, 10:21 PM
I'm back, your worst nightmare. Do I note a bit of sarcasm there. Yes I thought we were right in it when Moore missed that goal with some genuinely tough and at times brilliant running football.

I think you perhaps misunderstand me. I have only seriously sunk the slipper into Jude this season with a little left over for Bevan.Yeah a little bit of sarcasm there.

IMO Bevan's been better than B1 this season so fart.

Nico
19th April 2008, 10:22 PM
Was she looking over your shoulder when you posted this post,by any chance?

1% is very generous. When we were walking up a side street after the game there were some very strange people wearing Geelong scarves.

How big is the bandwagon. You can tell them in standing room, they are the ones wearing Tiato T shirts and only know Ablett and Mooney. Well I think they know Mooney as they go Moon, Moon, Moon when he runs for the ball. The amount of people that didn't know jack about the game today was mind boggling. 2 years ago you couldn't find a Geelong supporter in the outer.

Nico
19th April 2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah a little bit of sarcasm there.

IMO Bevan's been better than B1 this season so fart.

Does that mean Bevan is a better farter than Bolton?

swantastic
19th April 2008, 10:25 PM
Does that mean Bevan is a better farter than Bolton?LOL:D ...It all depends on what he had for tea last night.

Nico
19th April 2008, 10:28 PM
LOL:D ...It all depends on what he had for tea last night.

I had Indian last night and was a little worried about getting throug the game today.

stellation
19th April 2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, but think of the ressies team. I reckon he ought to fly up to Canberra tomorrow afternoon and back up.

Only 12 listed players last week, no-one to come in (except maybe Vez, depending on why he missed last week) and two extra players on the club injury (bad boy) list. Someone's going to have to play a blinder for them to be competitive tomorrow. Why not Davo?;)
You know, he's such a good club man that he's probably already offered to do it and paid his own way to get to Canberra!

ScottH
19th April 2008, 10:38 PM
Does that mean Bevan is a better farter than Bolton?

I'd say there is more chance Bevan will improve than B1.
B1 seems to have plateaud.

desredandwhite
19th April 2008, 11:06 PM
Was she looking over your shoulder when you posted this post,by any chance?

No, but she DOES have her sources....

mcs
20th April 2008, 12:26 AM
can someone that was at the game actually tell me what that Bartel free kick was for? Ch 10 never showed it or mentioned it. It was an awful long way behind the play!

And Liz, what I was trying to say about that Moore miss in the last quarter was more in terms of momentum- its all hypothetical but we kicked that well the momentum just might have swung enough for us to go on and steal it. We got smashed in the centre clearences mainly due to the fact we lost Jolly (Or partially anyway) at about the 20 minute mark and also that we clocked off.

But I totally agree that some of those earlier misses really hurt us- especially in the 1st quarter. We could of easily been within a goal or 2 at quarter time had we have taken our chances. And when you play Geelong you have to take your chances simple as.

TheMase
20th April 2008, 12:23 PM
We will struggle to kick goals with that forward structure. We need a big body target and the only one is White. ROK refuses to play close to goals or drift there, MOL is no longer a key forward, Nick Davis is an inigma, Jude is a waste of space, Goodes is an on baller, LRT is a CHB and nothing else and Barlow is an onballer.

Completely agree. Mentioned this earlier in the thread. We need a tall target up forward. I don't know when Everitt will be ready. However our forward structure was very ordinary yesterday. Or perhaps the delivery was too slow it ruined the structure.

NMWBloods
20th April 2008, 12:32 PM
A key target is important, but you can kick goals without one (or at least more than we do). However, you can't if you persist with a slow sideways build-up. Half of our players look to go sideways before they go forward.

liz
20th April 2008, 12:33 PM
Completely agree. Mentioned this earlier in the thread. We need a tall target up forward. I don't know when Everitt will be ready. However our forward structure was very ordinary yesterday. Or perhaps the delivery was too slow it ruined the structure.

Maybe a chicken and egg situation.

It's been observed that when we played good footy in rounds 2-4, there were times during the game that we were playing on far more and trusting our forwards to beat their man one-out in a contest.

When you know you don't have the obvious target up there maybe you don't do it. Or maybe it's even more imperative that you get it up there quickly, because while ROK, Davis and O'Loughlin are all more than capable of beating an opponent one-out, none is particularly good in a pack situation.

Particularly in the first half, ROK was a very effective target around the forward 50 arc and won more contests than he lost. But he's not in kicking range there. Maybe they need to bite the bullet and play him more like 30m out. On the other hand, I think we missed a lot of his run around the ground yesterday.

Barlow's done some excellent stuff when he has the ball but at the moment he's only playing cameos. That's not unexpected but we not its not a lack of endurance that's stopping him being more involved. Maybe he and O'Keefe need to spend the next week watching tapes of some of O'Keefe's best games to try and help Barlow learn where he needs to run to emulate that role. And then use O'Keefe as a target closer to goal.

TheHood
20th April 2008, 02:36 PM
Who else will? He really doesn't make too many mistakes.

Marty was a car crash at vital times and as I said through the week, he bypasses his first instinct and by then the opportunity is lost or he takes the 3rd of 2 options (thanks Dennis).

When Kennelly is back, hopefully he will resume duties.

NMWBloods
20th April 2008, 03:09 PM
Yes, but without Kennelly who else will kick in?

swansrule100
20th April 2008, 05:54 PM
mattner kicking in isnt too bad, made a few errors but a high percentage were pretty good. He is probably third choice for kick ins when we are at full strength.

theres a lot of players higher on the list to get stuck into than mattner.

kapoweewow
20th April 2008, 07:21 PM
i haven't read the whole thread but did anyone else notice that at one point in the game, the scores were the same as the 2005 semi final (well at one point in that game)? it was 44 to 53, when I noticed that i was like cmooooooon nick davis!

rook
21st April 2008, 04:52 PM

Geelong had Ottens and Egan ( all australian CHB ) out, 2 players that would walk into any team .

Rook

swantastic
21st April 2008, 05:38 PM
Changing the subject for a minute,did any one see when Steve Johnson went into the fence between the point posts some guy hanging over the fence giving him stick?

ScottH
21st April 2008, 06:08 PM
Changing the subject for a minute,did any one see when Steve Johnson went into the fence between the point posts some guy hanging over the fence giving him stick?

Yep. What a dropkick.

swantastic
21st April 2008, 06:26 PM
Yep. What a dropkick.LOL..I've been called worse.:D

stellation
21st April 2008, 06:33 PM
Which quarter was it el tastico? We can put it on youtube with a whacky sound effect and make you famous.

swantastic
21st April 2008, 09:40 PM
Which quarter was it el tastico? We can put it on youtube with a whacky sound effect and make you famous.I'll have to rack my brain,but i'm already famous as my user name was in big letters across the middle of the banner.

TheGrimReaper
21st April 2008, 10:47 PM
I'll have to rack my brain,but i'm already famous as my user name was in big letters across the middle of the banner.

Did you take a pic of the banner for proof of your username on the banner? :D