PDA

View Full Version : Being run over late...

Bloody Hell
19th April 2008, 08:20 PM
...is so unlike the Swans.

In the long run probably a good thing though. You certainly think the lads would be more steeled come round 20.

If nothing else the swans are a proud team. Can't image anyone would be feeling good about the final margin.

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 09:17 PM
It's also unlike the Swans to have so many young (and old) players in the side. I think the two things are related!

liz
19th April 2008, 09:23 PM
It's also unlike the Swans to have so many young (and old) players in the side. I think the two things are related!

It might also just be that we were playing Geelong.

That said, I do agree with your observation. Whatever we might think about the current standing of players like Mathews and Crouch, in our heydey they were running as hard at the end of a game as they were at the start. It is not reasonable to expect - at this stage - the likes of Smith, Jack and Bird to be able to do the same.

Poor Jack must have been exhausted by the final quarter. He'd chased Ablett round for most of the afternoon, and had tried to keep the pressure on, however much in vein. Kerr and Power might be mature, seasoned and top class players but I don't think either has the body strength of Ablett.

TheGrimReaper
19th April 2008, 09:27 PM
It might be just me, but I thought there were more positives than negatives today.

Jarrad McVeigh continues to improve
Paul Bevan played his best game of the season, showed some courage
Jarrad Moore, impress in the 2nd half
Kieran Jack also, despite Gary Ablett killing him today

But it was disappointing to fade out in the 4th quarter like we did. But we were playing against the best team in the AFL, and they have the ability to kick 5 to 6 goals in quick time.

If we showed that intensity that we did in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, we should get over the line against North Melbourne next week.

NMWBloods
19th April 2008, 09:35 PM
It might also just be that we were playing Geelong.
There's no doubt that was a huge factor, which we had not experienced thus far this season.

Nico
19th April 2008, 09:48 PM
It might be just me, but I thought there were more positives than negatives today.

Jarrad McVeigh continues to improve
Paul Bevan played his best game of the season, showed some courage
Jarrad Moore, impress in the 2nd half
Kieran Jack also, despite Gary Ablett killing him today

But it was disappointing to fade out in the 4th quarter like we did. But we were playing against the best team in the AFL, and they have the ability to kick 5 to 6 goals in quick time.

If we showed that intensity that we did in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, we should get over the line against North Melbourne next week.

As I said in the match thread it didn't seem to me that we faded. They just got 6 easy centre breaks on the trot and scored from 5 of them. It appeared to me that happened when Jolly went off at the 20 minute mark. When Moore missed that shot we were running on. They kicked it out Ablett gets a very doubtful free, goals and they then proceeded to get the clear centre breaks. Maybe we had the wrong personnel in the centre.

Really disappointed that LRT missed that mark that Ablett took. Pretty lame for mine.

TheGrimReaper
19th April 2008, 09:57 PM
As I said in the match thread it didn't seem to me that we faded. They just got 6 easy centre breaks on the trot and scored from 5 of them. It appeared to me that happened when Jolly went off at the 20 minute mark. When Moore missed that shot we were running on. They kicked it out Ablett gets a very doubtful free, goals and they then proceeded to get the clear centre breaks. Maybe we had the wrong personnel in the centre.

Really disappointed that LRT missed that mark that Ablett took. Pretty lame for mine.

And the Geelong supporters thought, they'd got the wrong end of the umpiring?

RogueSwan
19th April 2008, 10:03 PM
We were lucky to be in a position to be over run late, at one stage I think the Cats had kicked 1:11! Convert half of those and we would never have had a sniff.
Pebbles and Goodes also need goal kicking practise.

Nico
19th April 2008, 10:09 PM
We were lucky to be in a position to be over run late, at one stage I think the Cats had kicked 1:11! Convert half of those and we would never have had a sniff.
Pebbles and Goodes also need goal kicking practise.

No, ROK needs to have a shot at goal at least, to see if he is capable of kicking one.

ScottH
19th April 2008, 10:15 PM
At least 5 scoring opportunites in the first qtr, than resulted in 2 points, IIRC. That hurt us from the outest.

swantastic
19th April 2008, 10:18 PM

Really disappointed that LRT missed that mark that Ablett took. Pretty lame for mine.In the last quarter they did seem to have the luck of the irish on their side.

I agree on the LRT lame attempt at the mark,he's about a foot taller than gabblett.:frown