PDA

View Full Version : Footy transcends

Legs Akimbo
4th May 2008, 09:56 AM
Kicking on, a refugee's story - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/kicking-on-a-refugees-story/2008/05/03/1209235235307.html)

This year footy has, at various times, been in danger of descending into crass melodrama. Sexism, racism, tunnelling, flooding, drugs and angst about new teams. Frankly, I am sick of it all.

I read the article above this morning and it reaffirmed my faith that sport, and the AFL in particular, can transcend all this bull@@@@ and offer something of profound importance to our community - a field of shared experience and passion which brings people of diverse background together.

Whilst it is sad that some parents racially vilified immigrant kids playing a game of footy, it is equally as uplifting that those suffering the abuse are changing attitudes by their persistence and courage.

Cannot wait for the first Somali Australian kid to be tearing up the MCG. Only a matter of time.

TheGrimReaper
4th May 2008, 11:17 AM
Great read. It goes to show sport can be a level playing field. I hope we do get a Somali draftee in the near future.