PDA

View Full Version : Playfair

Matt79
5th May 2008, 10:28 AM
There has been a mixed response to Henry's game yesterday.

IMO I thought he added something. He provided a contest, adds desperately needed height to the forward line and looks alright on the lead. Yes, he needs to improve his kicking (as does the whole damn team!!), however, I thought he showed enough yesterday to give us optimism.

cruiser
5th May 2008, 10:31 AM
He took some good marks. His kicking at goal was a bit wonky but that may improve with more match practice and a lift in his confidence. We need some more forwards who can take contested marks.

premiers05
5th May 2008, 11:39 AM
He gave an interview or two last week when he was named. He was very cool "Oh I've played 50 games, I'm not nervous" I felt at the time, that a new player should be completely keyed up.
I thought he played ok yesterday, but he didn't seem to be busting a gut. I think a new player should be trying to prove himself and it seemed playfair wasn't trying to show anything special.

swansrule100
5th May 2008, 12:11 PM
of all the players on geelongs 07 list we get him.

ernie koala
5th May 2008, 12:34 PM
He gave us the same he's given Geelong for years.....a slow, pedestrian performance.
I'm afraid he looks like a 'bit part' player who will never dominate a game...dare I say...a journeyman.:(

Plugger46
5th May 2008, 01:17 PM
He was OK. Trouble is, I don't think he'll ever be any better than OK. I'd keep him in until Hall is right to go.

ernie koala
5th May 2008, 01:25 PM
He was OK. Trouble is, I don't think he'll ever be any better than OK. I'd keep him in until Hall is right to go.

I'm not a big fan of Grundy...but he's a better option than a pedestrian Playfair.

Industrial Fan
5th May 2008, 01:28 PM
Has a pretty good workrate - not sure how/why anyone would say he wasn't working. I thought he was just about the only one leading and trying to find space.

Having said that, his leading was very confused, I'm not quite sure how you'd kick it to his advantage. Should be a handy player for us.

Robbo
5th May 2008, 01:36 PM
We should of used that draft pick to draft a young KPP.

Industrial Fan
5th May 2008, 02:08 PM
We did.

Robbo
5th May 2008, 02:12 PM
We did.

No, we used it to get some clumsy reject who is never going to be anything special.

Matt79
5th May 2008, 02:28 PM
No, we used it to get some clumsy reject who is never going to be anything special.

Surely a very hard jusgement based on one performance?

He has come into the side perhaps somewhat underdone as well. Played only 2 or so games in the reserves after his hammy injury and I'd imagine it would always take a little getting used to, playing in a new side for the first time. Hard to predict where otheres would be leading etc. until you get to know their style of play.

ScottH
5th May 2008, 02:30 PM

I think he has already surpassed Chambers Swans career stats.

swantastic
5th May 2008, 02:32 PM
Was ok at best yesterday,but he needs time to get back in to it.

Can mark pretty good but his kicking was crap.

Maybe we could just slot him into the goal square and leave him there,with Micky in a pocket and Hall at CHF.

Thats 3 pretty good marking options.

Robbo
5th May 2008, 02:37 PM
Surely a very hard jusgement based on one performance?

He has come into the side perhaps somewhat underdone as well. Played only 2 or so games in the reserves after his hammy injury and I'd imagine it would always take a little getting used to, playing in a new side for the first time. Hard to predict where otheres would be leading etc. until you get to know their style of play.

I'm judging it on his time at Geelong as well. There's a reason why he only played 2 games last year and Geelong were wiliing to let him for for a 3rd round draft pick.

AnnieH
5th May 2008, 02:48 PM
A bit harsh kiddies. He did ok for a swans first-gamer. Geelong and Sydney play very different styles of footy - it'll take him time to learn how to play kick-to-kick at the end of the first quarter. Plus, he's coming off an injury.
Give him more than one game before you condem him back to Canberra.

NMWBloods
5th May 2008, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure how any of the excuses made for him make any sense. He is well known as a poor kick - ask most Geelong fans. It's a major reason why he didn't cut it as a key forward for them.

swansrule100
5th May 2008, 03:34 PM
people seem to think he should stay because he created a contest but anyone can do that surely.

He did nothing much at all and didnt show any skills. Davis was better in the games he played

BSA5
5th May 2008, 04:20 PM
He wasn't amazing, he wasn't the solution to all our forward problems, and nobody expected him to be (well at least, I didn't), but he added a bit. He was OK. He's a better option that Grundy is at this stage. He will only ever be an average player, but that's OK. You can't have four Jonno Browns in every forwardline. He did enough to stick around next week. Who knows? Maybe he'll wind up as a defender. It would take his poor kicking for goal out of the equation. But he has a good strong body, a decent lead, and looks fairly good in contests. Certainly not worth writing off yet.

Plugger46
5th May 2008, 04:31 PM
He wasn't amazing, he wasn't the solution to all our forward problems, and nobody expected him to be (well at least, I didn't), but he added a bit. He was OK. He's a better option that Grundy is at this stage. He will only ever be an average player, but that's OK. You can't have four Jonno Browns in every forwardline. He did enough to stick around next week. Who knows? Maybe he'll wind up as a defender. It would take his poor kicking for goal out of the equation. But he has a good strong body, a decent lead, and looks fairly good in contests. Certainly not worth writing off yet.

Agree with all of that. I knew what we were getting, so I wasn't expecting a lot yesterday. Deserves to keep his spot in my opinion.

dread and might
5th May 2008, 05:08 PM
He took some good marks. His kicking at goal was a bit wonky but that may improve with more match practice and a lift in his confidence.
See, I don't understand this. (Not just from Playfair). Surely a set shot is the easiest thing to replicate match conditions for during training. Guy on the mark, nobody about to tackle you.....
No excuses for poor set shot kicking. (Once again I am not singling Playfair out)

Matt79
5th May 2008, 05:12 PM
See, I don't understand this. (Not just from Playfair). Surely a set shot is the easiest thing to replicate match conditions for during training. Guy on the mark, nobody about to tackle you.....
No excuses for poor set shot kicking. (Once again I am not singling Playfair out)

I agree that our overall goal kicking has been very poor. However, I disagree about set shots being the 'easiest thing to replicate match conditions for during training'. Having the crowd cheering / booing, opposition sledging adds that element that training cannot replicate.

NMWBloods
5th May 2008, 05:14 PM
Like free throw shooting in basketball.

swansrule100
5th May 2008, 05:32 PM
I agree that our overall goal kicking has been very poor. However, I disagree about set shots being the 'easiest thing to replicate match conditions for during training'. Having the crowd cheering / booing, opposition sledging adds that element that training cannot replicate.

Im happy to go down and boo while a few of them practice shots. How long would they spend on goal kicking during the week? 5-10 minutes?

Triple B
5th May 2008, 05:43 PM

Crowd noise and opposition sledging should have negligible effect. Any player who would let those aspects affect him will be far too soft in the head to succeed at anything.

HOWEVER....

...pressure cannot be replicated and that is what it's all about.

They can practice all things football until the cows come home, but when things fall apart on game day, it is all about pressure, ie. all between the ears.

Matt79
5th May 2008, 05:48 PM
Crowd noise and opposition sledging should have negligible effect. Any player who would let those aspects affect him will be far too soft in the head to succeed at anything.
HOWEVER....

...pressure cannot be replicated and that is what it's all about.

They can practice all things football until the cows come home, but when things fall apart on game day, it is all about pressure, ie. all between the ears.

As they say, 99% of the game is played in between the ears. However, in every sport crowd noise does have a very significant effect. Why does a team tend to perform better at home than away? As Bloods mentioned, free throws in basketball...most basketballers would hit 9 and a half out of ten at training and yet may struggle in match conditions. Pressure is something that is hard to measure.

Triple B
5th May 2008, 05:59 PM
I reckon crowd noise has more effect on the scumps then the players. Collingwood crowds definately intimidate some umpires into giving them all the 50/50's.

In fact, some teams actually draw inspiration from being booed and actually play better so they can antagonise the boo-ers even more.

That said, I think we are arguing the same point, game situations are way different, whether it's the crowd noise or the pressure of the situation, it's impossible to replicate on the training paddock. :)

TheMase
5th May 2008, 06:52 PM
Set shot kicking is definitely different on game-day, that it is at training.

His kicking action needs some work, but above that his actual run in for goal needs work. It was not fluent at all.

The Swans coaches need to work with him to develop a routine when kicking for goal. A good majority of the good kickers have them (Lloyd throws the grass even when the roof is closed?).

Fixing his run in before his kick will fix a decent part of the problem. Perhaps Barry Hall can work with him, also Longmire too.

It reminded me something about Davis, which I will start a new thread for..

dread and might
5th May 2008, 08:59 PM

So, which element of a match is the easiest to recreate in training then?

Matt79
5th May 2008, 10:31 PM

Running out onto the ground. In seriousness, nothing can truely replicate match day conditions.

In cricket terms, you often hear players saying that to truely find form, "they need to spend time in the middle".

pigatfullfoward
24th May 2008, 08:51 PM
Thought he was very very average this week,
didn't even see him for most of the match!
surely Jessie White would have been better

Nico
24th May 2008, 08:55 PM

Couple of excellent 1%ers late in the game, stood up when it counted.

Claret
24th May 2008, 08:58 PM

It's a bit hard to argue with our forward line efficiency today. He was pretty good in the 1% department and that was just on tv, so he would have contributed to this efficiency.

24th May 2008, 09:06 PM
Couple of excellent 1%ers late in the game, stood up when it counted.

Right on there Nico.

Though he was ordinary before that, so very slow and doesnt get to enough contests at the moment. At least he had a haircut or maybe he should of kept it !

ernie koala
24th May 2008, 09:13 PM
He's a journeyman.

Bear
25th May 2008, 01:02 AM
I'd expect a lot of uneducated football followers to bag Playfair after today.

Not many stats, no goals.

But if you understand the importance of a big man contesting and bringing the ball to ground like he did today (most would have to watch again to see it), or nullifying the opposition's key defender, or taking the presure off MOL and Pebbles re the match-ups, etc...

...then you might see a lot of positives about HP's game today, and see it as an important part of our win.

pigatfullfoward
25th May 2008, 10:37 AM
While i agree that he contributed to our win, i just cant help but think that Jessie White would also take pressure off Micky & Ryan O and he would be an investment rather than a journeyman, he is also still a strong body up foward

reigning premier
25th May 2008, 04:47 PM
Just glad I didn't go overboard and throw him in my Dream team...... :p

Jewels
25th May 2008, 04:54 PM
I was lucky enough to go to the game this weekend and I think Roos would be very, very happy with Hanks game. He did a lot of work off the ball that you would not have seen on television which contributed to at least 4 goals. I think Davis could take a long hard look at Hanks work ethic and learn a thing or two.

barry
25th May 2008, 05:00 PM
The forward line with Playfair is performing very well at the moment. No way would his place be under jepordy from the likes of White or anyone else.

He might struggle to hold his place once Hall comes back though.

swansrule100
25th May 2008, 08:19 PM
The forward line with Playfair is performing very well at the moment. No way would his place be under jepordy from the likes of White or anyone else.

He might struggle to hold his place once Hall comes back though.

sums it up for me, until hall is available he stays in on current form, be interesting if he can hold a spot after that

satchmopugdog
25th May 2008, 10:04 PM
I was lucky enough to go to the game this weekend

How did your heart stand up to it?

Jewels
25th May 2008, 10:10 PM
I was lucky enough to go to the game this weekend

How did your heart stand up to it?

Only just, I'm too bloody old to go through that too often!

Nico
25th May 2008, 10:39 PM

Brad Johnson proved today that no matter how much practice you do you still can't be pefect. Missed a set shot to win the game from 30 metres dead in front after the siren. I would have thought a set shot from 30 metres is about the easiest to recreate, but not after 110 minutes of pulsating footy.

ScottH
25th May 2008, 10:41 PM
Brad Johnson proved today that no matter how much practice you do you still can't be pefect. Missed a set shot to win the game from 30 metres dead in front after the siren. I would have thought a set shot from 30 metres is about the easiest to recreate, but not after 110 minutes of pulsating footy.

Did you see Roughead's miss in the 2nd Q, today? shocking miss from directly in front.

Nico
25th May 2008, 10:43 PM
Did you see Roughead's miss in the 2nd Q, today? shocking miss from directly in front.

Riewolt shanked one from 15 metres dead in front.

ScottH
25th May 2008, 10:44 PM

Must've been the day for it.

bedford
25th May 2008, 11:20 PM
he would,did he cry?

Mike_B
26th May 2008, 08:20 AM
Wasn't dead in front, was on prob a 30 degreee angle, but nonetheless, it was very kickable.

Snake
26th May 2008, 11:55 AM
Even though he didn't kick a goal, his second efforts where outstanding, Roos would off been wrapped, he'll be back next week.

connolly
27th May 2008, 07:14 AM
I'm judging it on his time at Geelong as well. There's a reason why he only played 2 games last year and Geelong were wiliing to let him for for a 3rd round draft pick.

It was called Ablett favouritism. Nathan Ablett had to be mthe softest spoon fed footballer in the history of the game. Players got a raw deal at the cattery. He is a very strong pack mark (which we have lacked since Ball retired), leads well and knows how to play a key position forward role. He has taken the pressure off Magic and with Big Barry back we will stretch defenses in the air. Players allows us to KICK IT LONG and move it along which should be a godsend for all KICK IT LONG fundamentalists everywhere.