PDA

View Full Version : Swans deserved a standing ovation after Dogs game

Bear
6th May 2008, 07:40 PM
That's what the vast majority of the Brewongle Stand thought anyway :rolleyes:

bedford
6th May 2008, 08:52 PM
Thats the sort of attitude i would expect at the SCG.There are no prizes for coming 2nd.
I remember a final in 97 when it was raining cats and dogs,where sections of that stand were bagging Plugger.Until the majority of Sydney based fans learn about AFL this will continue to happen.

Big Al
6th May 2008, 08:59 PM
Thats the sort of attitude i would expect at the SCG.There are no prizes for coming 2nd.

So what?...If thats the way supporters want to support then so be it. Also I think the stereotype of a Sydney crowd knowing nothing is getting a little tired. Yes there was a certain lack of AFL knowledge in the early days but from my viewpoint the SCG crowd has improved in that area.

Nico
6th May 2008, 09:03 PM
So what?...If thats the way supporters want to support then so be it. Also I think the stereotype of a Sydney crowd knowing nothing is getting a little tired. Yes there was a certain lack of AFL knowledge in the early days but from my viewpoint the SCG crowd has improved in that area.

So I take it you were clapping, Al.

TheGrimReaper
6th May 2008, 09:06 PM
I was too disappointed to clap.

Big Al
6th May 2008, 09:07 PM
So I take it you were clapping, Al.

Nah, I was heading to the car.;)

However if people want to clap then good on em.

ScottH
6th May 2008, 09:58 PM

That'd be right. Just after 3/4 time. Typical. ;)

Triple B
6th May 2008, 10:04 PM
Also I think the stereotype of a Sydney crowd knowing nothing is getting a little tired. Yes there was a certain lack of AFL knowledge in the early days but from my viewpoint the SCG crowd has improved in that area.

Agree totally.

No doubt they are not as vocal and umpire intimidating in their calls for 'balllllllllllll' as the likes of the Collingwood crowd, but they are nowhere near as clueless a crowd as the southern state fans would have us believe.

I expect the misguided criticism from Pie and Carlton scum, I just get a little disappointed when it comes from our own. :frown

ScottH
6th May 2008, 10:18 PM
Agree totally.

No doubt they are not as vocal and umpire intimidating in their calls for 'balllllllllllll' as the likes of the Collingwood crowd, but they are nowhere near as clueless a crowd as the southern state fans would have us believe.

I expect the misguided criticism from Pie and Carlton scum, I just get a little disappointed when it comes from our own. :frown

Trust me, there are plenty of clueless fans for all clubs in Victoria!!

stellation
6th May 2008, 10:18 PM
They were actually clapped off at half time after a rather dreadful second quarter.

bedford
6th May 2008, 10:33 PM
They were actually clapped off at half time after a rather dreadful second quarter.
And how pathetic is that,what has happened to the Sydney chant going when we are in trouble,have you all forgotten up there.
I used to love that coming through the telly,or when i was there stirring stuff that must help pump the boys up.

DST
6th May 2008, 10:46 PM
And how pathetic is that,what has happened to the Sydney chant going when we are in trouble,have you all forgotten up there.
I used to love that coming through the telly,or when i was there stirring stuff that must help pump the boys up.

I noticed that as well bedford, the crowd has become very passive of late in Sydney. It maybe time for the club to pump some money into the cheersquad up there and try and beef up their particpation numbers to get some strong vocal support going.

DST
:D

bedford
6th May 2008, 10:50 PM
I noticed that as well bedford, the crowd has become very passive of late in Sydney. It maybe time for the club to pump some money into the cheersquad up there and try and beef up their particpation numbers to get some strong vocal support going.

DST
By the same token i couldn't believe how quiet the cheer squad was at the north game.

ScottH
6th May 2008, 10:50 PM
I beleive the team was clapped off the ground after the Rnd 1 loss, also.

Triple B
6th May 2008, 10:52 PM
I beleive the team was clapped off the ground after the Rnd 1 loss, also.

They were clapping Schneider. Being good sports and all that.

Matt79
6th May 2008, 10:58 PM
I find it funny that many around me in the O'Reilly clap politely when we kick one point...we missed everyone, it was a poor kick, no clap deserved!!

bedford
6th May 2008, 11:10 PM
As the designated spokesman for overweight tossers...get stuffed.;) :D
It's all about getting the passion back,have we become soft fans after our recent success and Big Al im not fading away either.

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th May 2008, 12:12 AM

It IS scary that so many Sydney-based fans are so new to following sport that they felt the need to clap the team off after a rather diappointing loss. Still, I guess they stayed until the end so that is something.

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th May 2008, 12:18 AM
By the same token i couldn't believe how quiet the cheer squad was at the north game.

We were pretty quiet I thought as well. But playing North in a dead boring game in a half-filled stadium on an unfamiliar Sunday unfortunately doesn't really get the cockles firing too much.

It was good to give it to that wanker North fan in the tier above us though. The cops had to move Ando away. :eek:

JF

ROK Lobster
7th May 2008, 12:20 AM
The cops had to move Ando away. :eek:

JFReal fan

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th May 2008, 12:23 AM
I noticed that as well bedford, the crowd has become very passive of late in Sydney. It maybe time for the club to pump some money into the cheersquad up there and try and beef up their participation numbers to get some strong vocal support going.

DST

Well, I'm buying a drum for them, as BennyW smashed the one we had at the Kings basketball Grand final! :o

Hopefully the atmosphere at the Essendon game will be a little more 'co-ordinated'. ;)

JF

blinddog
7th May 2008, 01:08 AM
As I have now moved to Yass, families in the Noble must be feeling safer for their delicate kids ears, cause I would have been ripping into the swans for the way they kicked.

Robbo
7th May 2008, 03:18 AM
Clapping after a loss is something Freo supporters do. We don't want to go down that path.

ShockOfHair
7th May 2008, 04:10 AM
I remember going to games in 86-87 where definitely fans were puzzled.

These days they seem as (ill-)informed as fans anywhere else.

Don't get this clapping thing at all. It's ... unAustralian.

CJK
7th May 2008, 10:21 AM
LOL @ the snobbery in this thread.

stellation
7th May 2008, 10:24 AM
The most consistent thing I've seen in Sydney Swans fandom is the ability of fans to be critical of other fans because they don't cheer the same way.

NMWBloods
7th May 2008, 10:26 AM
I clap good play by the opposition - I guess I'm not a real fan?

stellation
7th May 2008, 10:32 AM
I do the same. I'm a football fan that follows the Swans, it makes sense to applaud good football.

Industrial Fan
7th May 2008, 10:33 AM
I clap good play by the opposition - I guess I'm not a real fan?Only if you can clap whilst tearing up your membership.

CJK
7th May 2008, 10:35 AM
I will clap a point when there is good build-up play, for the build up not the single point.

But feel free to belittle me and non existence knowledge of the game.

Industrial Fan
7th May 2008, 10:39 AM
I will clap a point when there is good build-up play, for the build up not the single point.

But feel free to belittle me and non existence knowledge of the game.HAHA! Do you actually watch the game? Do you know anything?

HAHAHAHA!!!

AnnieH
7th May 2008, 10:39 AM

The vast majority are the chardy drinkers.

Thank God I'm not in the vast majority.

I'm one of those who left the ground after the final siren, but before the swans left the ground.

Losses shouldn't get a standing ovation.

ScottH
7th May 2008, 10:43 AM

I do the same. I'm a football fan that follows the Swans, it makes sense to applaud good football.

Me too!!!!

But feel free to belittle me and non existence knowledge of the game.
Ok feel belittled!! ;)

A point in close games can be as beneficial as a goal. For instance on Sunday if Eagleton had of missed the final goal of the game to give the Dogs a 13 point lead, it really would have snuffed out any hope the swans then had of at least forcing a draw. To score 3 times in 2 minutes is a tougher ask then 2 times in 2 minutes. So I'll applaud a behind at those points.

stellation
7th May 2008, 11:07 AM
Only if you can clap whilst tearing up your membership.

NMWBloods
7th May 2008, 11:21 AM
Only if you can clap whilst tearing up your membership.
I chew on it so it is moist and disintegrates.

cruiser
7th May 2008, 11:34 AM
Until the majority of Sydney based fans learn about AFL this will continue to happen.

Get stuffed, this is patronising finger wagging nonsense. This thread should be in the sandpit. Having been to many Swans games in Melbourne I think Swans supporters in Melb are quieter than in Sydney, but I dont raise it is a criticism.

Lucky Knickers
7th May 2008, 11:49 AM
Was it just me that heard the massive SYD...EH...NEY chant that got going after we strung a couple together in the 3rd Q?
Bay26,27 and 28 were in fine voice.

AnnieH
7th May 2008, 11:52 AM
Was it just me that heard the massive SYD...EH...NEY chant that got going after we strung a couple together in the 3rd Q?
Bay26,27 and 28 were in fine voice.

It started for a minute and then quickly faded. Disappointing. I always chant when I hear it started up, and can pretty much guarantee that every time you heard it at the 2005 granny, we were the ones who started it.

Remember when the Sydney chant would last the whole game??

AnnieH
7th May 2008, 11:53 AM

I'll always clap an opposition specky. Always.

Plugger46
7th May 2008, 12:41 PM
Get stuffed, this is patronising finger wagging nonsense. This thread should be in the sandpit. Having been to many Swans games in Melbourne I think Swans supporters in Melb are quieter than in Sydney, but I dont raise it is a criticism.

Good call cruiser. I think 10-15 years ago it was probably a fair criticism, but definitely not now. We've been in Sydney for 26 years - I think that's ample time for the vast majority to learn about the game. There are plenty of people down here who know very little about the game.

Certainly at Telstra Dome - never seems to be much noise. The MCG is a different story though.

Plugger46
7th May 2008, 12:42 PM

I clap teams at games that don't involve us. I don't clap anyone against us but everyone's different.

bandwagon
7th May 2008, 01:06 PM
... but everyone's different.

Ain't that the truth. I drink vast quantities of Chardonnay and clap the umpires when they run backwards. Beat that.

573v30
7th May 2008, 02:10 PM
Ain't that the truth. I drink vast quantities of Chardonnay and clap the umpires when they run backwards. Beat that.

You call them umpires, NOT A REAL BANDWAGONER!!! :eek:

Lucky Knickers
7th May 2008, 02:25 PM
Ummm......barely. I can think of one classic game against Essendon in 1996 :D
The reason our chant was halted so abruptly was that the dogs got the clearance kicked it into the F50 and kicked a goal within 1 minute of the restart! Would have stopped Joffa and the great toothless masses in their tracks too.

I catch myself clapping good opposition play and then look around embarassed that someone saw me, I do however get quite excited when I watch games that don't involve the swans on the telly or elsewhere which is why I can't wait for a second team in sydney and footy every weekend. When I lived in Melb I would always try and get to the marquee events (anzac day/pies vs blues).

Just because people are standing up at the end of the game and you hear clapping doesn't mean anyone is getting a standing ovation does it? Can't the two be exclusive? It might have been doggies fans clapping and I just happened to be standing up because my bum was a bit numb and you saw me!
I went to the theatre on Saturday night - the play was terrible - I clapped in relief it was over.

jono2707
7th May 2008, 05:41 PM
The Doggies deserved some kudos for their performance on Sunday. Their goalkicking was brilliant, they were hard at it and presented well, and they put real pressure on the Swans backline if they turned it over inside 50. Rocket would have been well pleased with their performance. Sure the Swans could have played better, but a big part in that was the Doggies not letting the Swans play at their best. They deserved at least a sneaky golf-clap at the end of the match.....

swansrule100
7th May 2008, 05:53 PM
i dont think it matters if people cheer the side off every quarter who cares?

if people wanna love the team and the players and cheer everything fine its how they choose to support

why do people insist there like one firm way to support a club?

Pommie Swannie
7th May 2008, 06:48 PM
IMO - there's nothing wrong with clapping of a losing team; so long as they've put in maximum effort (admittedly which was not the case in my mind on Sunday). To me, that is the definition of support.

Similarly nothing wrong with applauding the opposition ... sadly I found myself doing that too often on Sunday, particularly for Cooney and Johnson. I would hate to be so one-eyed that I couldn't appreciate and enjoy great play from non-Swans!

Nico
7th May 2008, 07:24 PM

It 'aint quiet if you sit or stand near us.

cruiser
7th May 2008, 07:26 PM

Nor near me. ;)

bedford
7th May 2008, 08:08 PM
same here Nico

Bas
8th May 2008, 11:03 PM

However if people want to clap then good on em.

I was with you. Left at about the 20 minute mark to beat the traffic. The trip back to the Central Coast is a very long one after a loss.

After reading these threads, all I can say is Sydney fans are really full of clap!

j s
9th May 2008, 12:29 AM
So, are "real fans" like that notorious Richmond "supporter" a few years back? Is that what you'd prefer?

Clapping a losing side is called encouragement though if I'd been there I certainly wouldn't have been joining in. Unfortunately I had to work all day last Sunday

JF_Bay22_SCG
9th May 2008, 02:41 AM
It started for a minute and then quickly faded. Disappointing. I always chant when I hear it started up, and can pretty much guarantee that every time you heard it at the 2005 granny, we were the ones who started it.

It was weirdly always at its loudest when it was raining & the -Bill O'reilly was packed. That Eagles match in 1996 was when it was started. It really hasn't been as loud ever since, bar the 2003 Prelim Final which is the loudest a Swans crowd has EVER been! :cool:

These days the MA Noble is filled with old grandpas who freak or mumble irritatedly when you get the drum going up there. If the loudest Swans supporters all sat up there (like it used to be back in the 1980-90s when the stand was GA & the chants were started with guys with whistles), the SCG would once again be the loudest ground in the comp. And the old fossils who live there these days would be muttering in vain. :p

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
19th May 2008, 06:33 PM
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff278/Keyser_Soze_BF/Number%20two/very_niice_racoon.jpg

JF :D

DeadlyAkkuret
19th May 2008, 07:48 PM
I remember a final in 97 when it was raining cats and dogs,where sections of that stand were bagging Plugger.Until the majority of Sydney based fans learn about AFL this will continue to happen.

Showing your ignorance with this line. Were they sipping tea, too?

AussieAnge
19th May 2008, 08:15 PM
These days the MA Noble is filled with old grandpas who freak or mumble irritatedly when you get the drum going up there. If the loudest Swans supporters all sat up there (like it used to be back in the 1980-90s when the stand was GA & the chants were started with guys with whistles), the SCG would once again be the loudest ground in the comp. And the old fossils who live there these days would be muttering in vain. :p

JF

That's no way to be talking of OldRoyBoy.

In fact MAN has some quite passionate and loud members up there including the oldies.

NMWBloods
19th May 2008, 08:17 PM
And probably quite rightly find drums and horns really really annoying!

Wardy
20th May 2008, 08:47 AM
And probably quite rightly find drums and horns really really annoying!

you got it right there - sadly it seems to some here that unless you get in to the chanting, raving whatever you want to call it - you are not a real fan. this topic is becoming tiresome. Some cant accept that people enjoy their footy in different ways.

To be honest the drum thing annoys the @@@@ out of me, but you know we are not supposed to express such opinions. I'm there to watch footy not what the cheersquad are up to.

And whilst we are on clapping for a behind - for those who are so totally against such a thing - I certainly hope that none of you clapped the point that Tony Lockett kicked after the final siren in the '96 preliminary final - because if you did - you are a bunch of hypocrits!!!

If I want to yell and carry on - then I will , if I dont - then I wont. If I want to have a glass of Chardonnay (which to some its a crime:rolleyes: ) then I will, If I want to clap a point or a good passage of play, even if it is the opposition, then I will - so sue me!

TheGrimReaper
20th May 2008, 08:51 AM
you got it right there - sadly it seems to some here that unless you get in to the chanting, raving whatever you want to call it - you are not a real fan. this topic is becoming tiresome. Some cant accept that people enjoy their footy in different ways.

To be honest the drum thing annoys the @@@@ out of me, but you know we are not supposed to express such opinions. I'm there to watch footy not what the cheersquad are up to.

And whilst we are on clapping for a behind - for those who are so totally against such a thing - I certainly hope that none of you clapped the point that Tony Lockett kicked after the final siren in the '96 preliminary final - because if you did - you are a bunch of hypocrits!!!

If I want to yell and carry on - then I will , if I dont - then I wont. If I want to have a glass of Chardonnay (which to some its a crime:rolleyes: ) then I will, If I want to clap a point or a good passage of play, even if it is the opposition, then I will - so sue me!

I wasn't allowed to swear in the cheersquad. :rolleyes:

And yet, last night I was told that you can swear in the Collingwood cheersquad.

I know it's not a good comparison but seriously, other cheersquads you can swear and let out frustration, why not our cheersquad? Is this the reason, why the Swans crowds arent as noisy as they once were?

I'm with you Wardy, I like to sit in the outter if I can't swear and show emotion. I'm not there, just to sit and watch the bloody game quietly.

ScottH
20th May 2008, 08:52 AM
Not a real fan!!

PS: You'll be hearing from my lawyers soon.

TheGrimReaper
20th May 2008, 09:03 AM
Not a real fan!!

PS: You'll be hearing from my lawyers soon.

What have you done? :eek:

Big Al
20th May 2008, 09:18 AM

Couldn't agree more!

As long as your matching your chardonnay with a Four n Twenty I can't really see the issue anyway.;)

Doctor J.
20th May 2008, 09:19 AM

Your memory aint that good "wheels".

We played 1 final in 97 and that was at the MCG

AussieAnge
20th May 2008, 03:05 PM
What have you done? :eek:

Grim he's referring to Wardy's "sue me" comment.

Wardy
20th May 2008, 03:06 PM
Couldn't agree more!

As long as your matching your chardonnay with a Four n Twenty I can't really see the issue anyway.;)

goes without saying!:D

Triple B
20th May 2008, 05:14 PM
Hehehehe, at the aftermatch following the Nth Melb draw, DoctorJ and myself bumped JF at the bar. I asked him whether Kirky's shot had crossed the line or was it touched. Given he had the 'best seat in the house ;) ' , especially to see that shot.

His response????

"I didn't see it, everybody jumped up and waved their flags"

WTF :eek: :eek: . There'd have been a half dozen flagpoles planted firmly over half a dozen scones if some imbecile jumped in front of me waving a flag whilst the game is in progress. :p

TheGrimReaper
20th May 2008, 05:41 PM
Hehehehe, at the aftermatch following the Nth Melb draw, DoctorJ and myself bumped JF at the bar. I asked him whether Kirky's shot had crossed the line or was it touched. Given he had the 'best seat in the house ;) ' , especially to see that shot.

His response????

WTF :eek: :eek: . There'd have been a half dozen flagpoles planted firmly over half a dozen scones if some imbecile jumped in front of me waving a flag whilst the game is in progress. :p

I was sitting next to him or pretty much next to him, and it was a goal mate. Bloody typical umpire, blind as a bat. :(

ScottH
20th May 2008, 06:17 PM
I was sitting next to him or pretty much next to him, and it was a goal mate. Bloody typical umpire, blind as a bat. :(

impossible to tell from directly behind the goals, however sitting at an angle to the goals gives a good perspective!!

bedford
20th May 2008, 07:13 PM
Your memory aint that good "wheels".

We played 1 final in 97 and that was at the MCG
Sorry mate i think it must have been 98 against the Crows which we lost in the rain after beating st.kilda also in the wet the week before,with micky o kicking the winning goal.
Thats when i heard the Plugger abuse and a general lack of knowledge of the game.
97 we lost to the Bulldogs at the MCG.
I might have been a tad harsh in my post

bedford
20th May 2008, 07:17 PM

His response????

Had a good view from the pocket,was a goal but means nothing now

JF_Bay22_SCG
20th May 2008, 07:45 PM

His response????

Thanks for taking what I said out of context to suit your argument TripleB. :rolleyes:

What I said is that everyone lept up when Kirk's kick went over. They seriously had no time to grab flags floggers or even each other, as the behind was called & North duly kicked out. That could have happened anywhere. At the SCG everyone would have leapt up as well.

It is amazing how precious & defensive some people are in this thread by the way. Oh & don't we get the message 1000 times from Sydneysiders "I'll do what I like & that's all that matters because it is all about me & that is all I know". Well that attitude may be well & good, as we do live in a free world, but then don't go whinging that the atmosphere at matches is the worst it has been in years. :rolleyes:

JF :rolleyes:

Triple B
20th May 2008, 08:09 PM
It is amazing how precious & defensive some people are .......

Coming from you, that's gold Jerry, GOLD!! :p

JF_Bay22_SCG
20th May 2008, 08:11 PM
That's no way to be talking of OldRoyBoy.

In fact MAN has some quite passionate and loud members up there including the oldies.

I got my grandstands wrong. I'm not stupid for one minute to ever doubt OldRoyboy's passion for the club & game. ;)

JF

goswannie14
20th May 2008, 08:19 PM
It is amazing how precious & defensive some people are in this thread by the way. Oh & don't we get the message 1000 times from Sydneysiders "I'll do what I like & that's all that matters because it is all about me & that is all I know". Well that attitude may be well & good, as we do live in a free world, but then don't go whinging that the atmosphere at matches is the worst it has been in years.IIRC that has been you whinging about the atmosphere.

ROK Lobster
20th May 2008, 10:00 PM
IIRC that has been you whinging about the atmosphere.

There are some that have been complaining for years that JF gets too much atmosphere.