PDA

View Full Version : Kenelly: Rate yourself much?

dread and might
8th May 2008, 04:15 PM
"It's a great opportunity for me to learn and play so much with the best players in the competition and learn so much from them.

"It's picking their brains more than anything else. Andrew McLeod is a similar type of player to myself - those types of players, you just want to learn as much from them and the way they carry themselves."

Now, I love the Irishman as much as the next person, but.....;) http://news.realfooty.com.au/kennelly-clues-up-on-interstate-rivalry/20080507-2bvy.html

NMWBloods
8th May 2008, 04:26 PM
I read that about half an hour ago and laughed! :)

BeeEmmAre
8th May 2008, 04:30 PM
Andrew McLeod v Tadhg Kennelly.

One is the better player, the other is their team's barometer.

Chookbilly
8th May 2008, 04:36 PM
I don't see the issue with the comment.

They ARE similar players, they both play as an attacking, running half back.

Yes McLeod is a brilliant player, but Tadgh isn't far behind, and has every right to be mentioning himself alongside.

Mogg0
8th May 2008, 04:40 PM
Saw that too, and guessed it would be mere hours for some clown to take it out of context and triviliase one of our great players. You came through for me, Dread.

I don't see much of McCleod so I can't compare the two, but it's pretty obvious Tadgh was talking in terms of style, not talent.

Ridiculous thread.

Kanga
8th May 2008, 04:42 PM
I read that about half an hour ago and laughed! :)

Kennelly is kidding himself.

royboy42
8th May 2008, 04:46 PM
Saw that too, and guessed it would be mere hours for some clown to take it out of context and triviliase one of our great players. You came through for me, Dread.

I don't see much of McCleod so I can't compare the two, but it's pretty obvious Tadhg was talking in terms of style, not talent.

Ridiculous thread.

As you said MoggO

stellation
8th May 2008, 04:54 PM
When I read the article I simply took it as Tadhg stating that he and Andrew play a similar role, which I certainly believe they do, and he is taking the opportunity to learn from him.

BloodNut
8th May 2008, 04:58 PM
Some people read too much into articles and thats why the media is the way it is. Nothing in it but someone has to try and rubbish a player again.

liz
8th May 2008, 05:08 PM
I'm most definitely in the "what's the problem camp?"

He is clearly showing deference to McLeod by stating how great it is to learn from the best. And he's no mug himself, or he wouldn't have been selected to play in this game.

Definitely a case of trying to pick holes in someone with no justification.

swantastic
8th May 2008, 05:11 PM
When I read the article I simply took it as Tadhg stating that he and Andrew play a similar role, which I certainly believe they do, and he is taking the opportunity to learn from him.Spot on there Stell,and i dont know why people would rubbish Tiger when he is on song so are the Swans the same goes with McCloud and Adelaide.

it's pretty obvious Tadhg was talking in terms of style, not talentIts wasnt just obvious it was bloody obvious,but well said Mogg0.

Kennelly is kidding himself.Kanga you are kidding your self,Tiger isnt very far behind McCloud at all.In fact for some one who hasnt played the game for his entire life Tiger in that respect is IMHO equally as good as McCloud who has played all his life and was bought up on footy.

NMWBloods
8th May 2008, 05:14 PM
I think some of the responses here are being way too precious. Normally when comparing players, you compare the 'lesser' with the 'greater', not vice versa (eg: Barlow is a similar player to Goodes, rather than Goodes is a similar player to Barlow). Kennelly obviously meant absolutely nothing by it; it just sounded amusing as it was around the other way. I doubt very much the OP was a serious dig at Kennelly in any way at all.

liz
8th May 2008, 08:20 PM
I think some of the responses here are being way too precious. Normally when comparing players, you compare the 'lesser' with the 'greater', not vice versa (eg: Barlow is a similar player to Goodes, rather than Goodes is a similar player to Barlow). Kennelly obviously meant absolutely nothing by it; it just sounded amusing as it was around the other way. I doubt very much the OP was a serious dig at Kennelly in any way at all.

Or maybe the whole existence of this thread is a case of being too precious. After all, it was deemed sufficiently arrogant enough to warrant starting a thread all for the purposes of having a dig, even if it was meant half heartedly.

As for the ordering of the players being of any significance, absolute rubbish. Similarity is a completely symmetrical concept.

NMWBloods
8th May 2008, 08:51 PM
Or maybe the whole existence of this thread is a case of being too precious. After all, it was deemed sufficiently arrogant enough to warrant starting a thread all for the purposes of having a dig, even if it was meant half heartedly.

As for the ordering of the players being of any significance, absolute rubbish. Similarity is a completely symmetrical concept.
I thought the ;) was a giveaway that it was just a bit of fun. If it wasn't that, which I took it as, then D&M perhaps could say he was really having a dig at Kennelly.

As for the ordering, it's not "absolute rubbish". From my experience, people will typically say things like "Barlow is similar to Goodes" not "Goodes is similar to Barlow" - the established, longer-term player is the benchmark that the other is compared to. Yes it is a symmetrical concept (but it also has a degree of setting benchmarks), but I've seen it typically expressed the way I stated.

RogueSwan
8th May 2008, 08:53 PM

I don't see much of McCleod so I can't compare the two, but it's pretty obvious Tadhg was talking in terms of style, not talent.

Ridiculous thread.

When I read the article I simply took it as Tadhg stating that he and Andrew play a similar role, which I certainly believe they do, and he is taking the opportunity to learn from him.

I'm most definitely in the "what's the problem camp?"

He is clearly showing deference to McLeod by stating how great it is to learn from the best. And he's no mug himself, or he wouldn't have been selected to play in this game.

Definitely a case of trying to pick holes in someone with no justification.
Agree, agree, agree.

BloodNut
8th May 2008, 08:53 PM
oh dear. :rolleyes:

CJK
8th May 2008, 08:56 PM
ZOMG - Taggy iz teh bestest vever he seyz!!1

lolz rotfl lolz

(Think i broke my spell checker)

NMWBloods
8th May 2008, 08:58 PM
That's exactly how I read it. It was just in the way of expressing it.

stellation
8th May 2008, 09:18 PM
That's exactly how I read it. It was just in the way of expressing it.
I assumed you probably had, to be honest I saw nothing wrong with his comments or with most of the comments by folks in the thread because it looked like gentle ribbing.

Well actually one thing did puzzle me, does Tadhg really play a similar role to Andrew? Andrew is the guy that, if not invented, certainly perfected the modern half back flanker role of "quarterback"- I was under the impression that Paul Bevan did that at Sydney? :confused:

NMWBloods
8th May 2008, 09:23 PM
I assumed you probably had, to be honest I saw nothing wrong with his comments or with most of the comments by folks in the thread because it looked like gentle ribbing.

Well actually one thing did puzzle me, does Tadhg really play a similar role to Andrew? Andrew is the guy that, if not invented, certainly perfected the modern half back flanker role of "quarterback"- I was under the impression that Paul Bevan did that at Sydney? :confused:
Bevan is that man, and Kennelly only takes over on those odd occasions when Bevo isn't driving us forward...

BSA5
8th May 2008, 11:55 PM
What a pissweak thread. Saying a player is similar to another player doesn't mean they are as good as each other. Guess what? When I played rugby union, I used to play a similar role to what Jonah Lomu did. Does that mean I was as good as Jonah Lomu? @@@@ no. But I was a big, quick (for the level I was playing at) winger. When I played cricket, I played a similar role to Nathan Bracken. I was a pace bowler that wasn't very quick, but swung the ball well, and was accurate, and I could go for a tonk in the tail. But I wasn't as good as Bracken. I just had a similar role. Well, it's the same as Kennelly. All he said was he was a similar type of player to McLeod. He doesn't insinuate in any way that he is as good as McLeod.

NMWBloods
9th May 2008, 10:13 AM
What a pissweak thread. Saying a player is similar to another player doesn't mean they are as good as each other. Guess what? When I played rugby union, I used to play a similar role to what Jonah Lomu did.Would you have said Lomu played a similar role to you?

When I played cricket, I played a similar role to Nathan Bracken.Would you have said Bracken played a similar role to you?

So I'm just clarifying what I was referring to earlier - ie: the order in which people say the names - exactly as BSA5 did above.

BSA5
9th May 2008, 07:20 PM
Would you have said Lomu played a similar role to you?

Would you have said Bracken played a similar role to you?

So I'm just clarifying what I was referring to earlier - ie: the order in which people say the names - exactly as BSA5 did above.

Yeah, I would have, if it had been appropriate. Say somebody I knew had never seen a game of rugby and watched me play. Then later, I was trying to explain how Jonah Lomu played. I would say "You saw how I was playing, right? Well, Lomu plays a similar role to me." Now that isn't a common scenario, because Lomu is more well known than me (but only a little! :P). It's nothing to do with who is better. It's to do with who is the subject, and who is the basis for comparison, and that depends on context.

stellation
9th May 2008, 08:14 PM
Who'd have thunk that semantics would be more important than football in a thread on RWO ;)

For what it is worth I think Nick is just chuckling at the structure of the comments and doesn't really frown at all on Tadhg... and I think that finding well natured humour in that is admirable, verging on adorable.

NMWBloods
9th May 2008, 08:36 PM
Stell is such a champion! :)

BSA5
10th May 2008, 12:31 AM
Who'd have thunk that semantics would be more important than football in a thread on RWO ;)

For what it is worth I think Nick is just chuckling at the structure of the comments and doesn't really frown at all on Tadhg... and I think that finding well natured humour in that is admirable, verging on adorable.

And I am a pedant. I know, bad habit, but I argue. Semantics is one of my favourite topics! ;)

Meh, I was bored, and felt like nit-picking.

dread and might
11th May 2008, 11:41 AM
Wow! Posted it a few days ago and haven't been back since. Didn't quite expect the level of anger. I did think the ;) made my intention to be lighthearted clear.

Yes they play similar roles, yes Tadgh's comments showed deference and respect to Macleod, but for my "clownlike" behaviour I apologise unreservedly.

I will now stick to only contributing serious material to the "Nick davis is the best player ever/ is a complete hack." Threads.

For god's sake Lighten TFU!

DeadlyAkkuret
12th May 2008, 07:35 PM

Ridiculous thread.

Read and learn, dread.

Xie Shan
12th May 2008, 10:31 PM
Stell is such a champion! :)

Stell definitely is. Am I seeing things or did he just call you adorable? :eek:

dread and might
13th May 2008, 01:25 PM
Read and learn, dread.

???

So, does everyone reckon when he turned up at training nobody gave him a ribbing about the comment.

If I came out in the paper and said, " Johhny Depp and I are considered similar looking" I would expect a fairly hard time from all who read it.

ROK Lobster
13th May 2008, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=dread and might;380875]" Johhny Depp and I are considered similar looking" [QUOTE]We must look alike.

reigning premier
13th May 2008, 04:16 PM
You can always tell it's a split round or the off season around here. The threads go to @@@@. Nothing to talk about so we talk about nothing....

dread and might
14th May 2008, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=dread and might;380875]" Johhny Depp and I are considered similar looking" [QUOTE]We must look alike.

Probably be mistaken as twins.