PDA

View Full Version : Goodes to play 200th straight game - The Age

ScottH
20th May 2008, 10:59 PM
Goodes to play 200th straight game - The Age (http://news.google.com.au/news/url?sa=T&ct=au/1-0&fd=R&url=http://news.theage.com.au/sport/goodes-to-play-200th-straight-game-20080520-2gcn.html&cid=1214333588&ei=Er0ySJ2rJKDurQPb7c2VBA&usg=AFrqEzcgxtMJTvd937QgT7X6wJAOocq0Bw)

The Age, Australia - 3 hours ago
But one number will be firmly in his mind when he marks the AFL's Indigenous Round this weekend by playing his 200th consecutive game for the Sydney Swans. ...

ROK Lobster
20th May 2008, 11:04 PM
Goodes to play 200th straight game - The Age (http://news.google.com.au/news/url?sa=T&ct=au/1-0&fd=R&url=http://news.theage.com.au/sport/goodes-to-play-200th-straight-game-20080520-2gcn.html&cid=1214333588&ei=Er0ySJ2rJKDurQPb7c2VBA&usg=AFrqEzcgxtMJTvd937QgT7X6wJAOocq0Bw)

The Age, Australia - 3 hours ago
But one number will be firmly in his mind when he marks the AFL's Indigenous Round this weekend by playing his 200th consecutive game for the Sydney Swans. ...How many games did Cousins play straight I hear you all wondering?

ScottH
20th May 2008, 11:09 PM
How many games did Cousins play straight I hear you all wondering?

:)

bedford
21st May 2008, 12:03 AM
A great effort by a great player for the bloods.In my time following the bloods probably only Skilton,kelly and Lockett have been better sorry i forgot Bedford

Lucky Knickers
21st May 2008, 09:26 AM
Compression socks - nice look!

johnno
21st May 2008, 10:59 AM
I'd also rate Mark Bayes a better player too.

bedford
21st May 2008, 11:30 AM
Really?

swantastic
21st May 2008, 11:55 AM

Really?bedford,johnno's got 1 thing right,Bayes was a better kick than Goodes but thats about it.

Mr Magoo
21st May 2008, 12:11 PM
I think it is difficult to rate a current gun like Goodes against players from in many cases the distant past. Over time players generally tend to seem better (or sometimes worse) than they were at the time.

Considering Goodes has won two Bronwlows in an era where many are proclaiming other players such as Judd and Cox to be once in a generation guns, I think goodes will in time be remembered in most of our minds as equal to or better than most of the others mentioned in the post so far.

johnno
21st May 2008, 12:26 PM
I've been a keen follower of the swans since around 1980, and let me tell you something about Mark Bayes, the man played at centre half back for most of his career, always took the oppositions best forward, always beat the oppositions best forward week in and week out. I can recall one game against StKilda at waverly one saturday afternoon, Bayes lined up on Lockett and Nettlbeck(what a star he was), was on Loewe. At half time, Loewe had 7 goals and Lockett 0 goals, I think the coach at the time( might have been Buckenara or Col Kinear) made the change(switched Bayes onto Loewe and Nettlebeck on Lockett) and what do you think happened in the secon half? Lockett kicked 7 goals and Loewe....nothing, zilch, zero. If someone had read the match report, you couldent blame them for thinking both Loewe and Lockett had a day out with 7 goals each, but the truth is, 14 goals were kicked on Nettlbeck(again, what a star he was) and 0 goals on Mark Bayes. True story.

AnnieH
21st May 2008, 12:34 PM
Couldn't have happened to a better player!!:)
Onya Addie.

NMWBloods
21st May 2008, 12:37 PM
bedford,johnno's got 1 thing right,Bayes was a better kick than Goodes but thats about it.
Bayes was also better defensively.

Greg Williams was probably a better player too.

Brownlow medals become less relevant as time goes on - far too focussed on midfielders.

reigning premier
21st May 2008, 01:10 PM
Show pony.....

Wasn't it enough to take Crouch's record? Now he has to go on and do this.

With team mates like him.....

AnnieH
21st May 2008, 01:29 PM
Show pony.....

Wasn't it enough to take Crouch's record? Now he has to go on and do this.

With team mates like him.....

You're SOOOOOOOOO lucky you're living OS at the moment.
Even though I know you're joking, it still deserves a clip over the ear!!:)

dread and might
21st May 2008, 01:48 PM
bedford,johnno's got 1 thing right,Bayes was a better kick than Goodes but thats about it.
What about Dunkley?