PDA

View Full Version : Bottom six

Doctor
26th May 2008, 03:40 PM
There's a quote from Paul Roos in the SMH today about how we normally need a lot of guys playing well for us to win but against Port we won despite 5 or 6 guys having poor games. Thoughts on who he meant?

Swans seek more positives - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/swans-seek-more-positives/2008/05/25/1211653849456.html)

Captain
26th May 2008, 03:46 PM
Leo obviously.

Throw in S Ted, Eski, Bird, Playfair and Everitt/Jolly

DST
26th May 2008, 03:46 PM
Pretty direct comment, no doubt we had 5 or 6 blokes who were either beaten by their opponents or didn't have their best games.

Off the top of my head LRT, Leo, Richards, Spider, Eski and Bird all struggled against their direct opponents. That's not to say they should be dopped, just that we didn't have the usual even contribution across the whole team.

DST
:D

cruiser
26th May 2008, 04:00 PM
In a game like Saturdays, playing against an in form opposition determined to win on their home ground, I dont think that you can reasonably expect every Swans player to win their position and play well. Some players will get beaten and it can happen to the best of them. As far as a team effort goes, I thought that it was a sensational performance by Sydney and I'm still smiling and chuffed about it two days later.

TheHood
26th May 2008, 04:51 PM
Ted had an terrible day, got stepped around, marked over - one to forget
Leo had a bad one too, looks like the pace isnt there and neither is the leap
Mal just needs some game time
Birdy was okay but needs more leg speed
Hank just couldn't get near the ball
Jolly and Spida both had an average day at stoppages

Roosy was right to observe the lack of output from these guys, however it's encouraging to think that once they find their wings and Barry is back, Sydney are a real show in 2008.

bandwagon
26th May 2008, 05:04 PM
Of that list only Everitt, LRT and Barry are a concern. Bird is still a teenager, Malceski is not match fit, Richards has been generally good this year and Playfair has an obvious replacement in Hall. Our lack of ruck depth remains a problem.

goswannie14
26th May 2008, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't have Playfair on that list. As has been pointed out, his work off the ball was instrumental in a number of goals on the weekend.

swansrule100
26th May 2008, 05:49 PM
i thought spida wasnt too bad guess im the only one.

he should spit out his gum or whatever he is chewing though

dimelb
26th May 2008, 05:57 PM
"CRAIG BOLTON admits there are aspects of his team's game which need work. They cannot afford to keep switching off during matches, they need consistent performances from every player for a full 100 minutes"

Damn right. Give the runners cattle prods.

The Big Cat
26th May 2008, 07:35 PM
I thought LRT quietened Tredrea when he went onto him after half time. Bird needs to give off the first option. He gets caught trying to do too much. Leo had more possessions than Ebert but I must admit he got touched up, although Eski's kick didn't help him. Ted was on the wrong opponent.

TheMase
26th May 2008, 08:03 PM
I thought LRT quietened Tredrea when he went onto him after half time. Bird needs to give off the first option. He gets caught trying to do too much. Leo had more possessions than Ebert but I must admit he got touched up, although Eski's kick didn't help him. Ted was on the wrong opponent.

It is often his best asset that he does not.

Once he gets used to the pace of the game, he will choose the 'right' option, rather than the first option.

Many times against Essendon he held the ball from the first option, and chose the latter, but more appropriate one.

This will improve with experience, and will be a VERY valuable asset in the future.

pigatfullfoward
26th May 2008, 08:14 PM
As i have said before he is only what 19?
cant wait to see what he's like when he's 22 which is how old Moore is!

RogueSwan
26th May 2008, 09:59 PM
I thought LRT quietened Tredrea when he went onto him after half time. Bird needs to give off the first option.
Like B1?? :eek:

Nico
26th May 2008, 10:19 PM
How does Luke Ablett escape scrutiny?

10 possessions 7k 3hb, 6 uncontested possessions, 3 clangers.
Positive - 4 tackles
He was ordinary and doesn't get to anywhere near enough contests and when he does is as slow as a wet week getting rid of it.

How anyone can say Jolly had a poor game is beyond me.

LRT - well 16 possessions tells me he is not far off and is now getting used to playing back again. Don't forget he lost nearly a season of footy in 2007.

Captain
26th May 2008, 10:28 PM
How anyone can say Jolly had a poor game is beyond me.

Guess it was different being at the game. Not that 12 hit outs is an amazing game.

ScottH
26th May 2008, 10:36 PM

10 possessions 7k 3hb, 6 uncontested possessions, 3 clangers.
Positive - 4 tackles
He was ordinary and doesn't get to anywhere near enough contests and when he does is as slow as a wet week getting rid of it.
He's been very ordinary for most of this year, so far.

Bloody Hell
27th May 2008, 06:07 AM
I guess the real question is - is that 5 or 6 out and 5 or 6 in???

From ORB - "Nick Davis was my BOG. While his disposal has remained immaculate, his attack on the ball and work off it has steadily improved over the last three weeks. His move up to the midfield in the third quarter was the game breaker."

swantastic
27th May 2008, 07:11 AM
From ORB - "Nick Davis was my BOG. While his disposal has remained immaculate, his attack on the ball and work off it has steadily improved over the last three weeks. His move up to the midfield in the third quarter was the game breaker."Yeh yeh yeh we've heard all this bull @@@@ before so then bring him back in and he does nothing in the seniors.

connolly
27th May 2008, 07:22 AM
There's a quote from Paul Roos in the SMH today about how we normally need a lot of guys playing well for us to win but against Port we won despite 5 or 6 guys having poor games. Thoughts on who he meant?

Swans seek more positives - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/swans-seek-more-positives/2008/05/25/1211653849456.html)

Not really. But he meant this - "Bevo has been outstanding."

Young Blood
27th May 2008, 01:05 PM

Beats me how Jude cops so much flak (often deserved) while Ablett cops so little.

With Jude playing so well on Saturday, and generally better over the past few weeks, surely Ablett is now the senior player under most pressure to hold his spot. (I think Bird is also under pressure).

Zlatorog
27th May 2008, 01:17 PM
Jude cops so much flak because of his consistency (or the lack of). We know what he's capable of, but he doesn't deliever every game. Ablett to me is a non-entity and will never understand why is he still in the side. It must be a role that he's playing in the team, the only problem is that I don't understand what that is.

AnnieH
27th May 2008, 01:34 PM
Jude cops so much flak because of his consistency (or the lack of). We know what he's capable of, but he doesn't deliever every game. Ablett to me is a non-entity and will never understand why is he still in the side. It must be a role that he's playing in the team, the only problem is that I don't understand what that is.

It's killing me to say this, but I think one of our MOST improved players this year is Ablett.

His disposals are a lot more accurate than they have been in the past (i.e. he's probably got an effective rate now of 25%, compared to 0% this time last year); he is normally on the bottom of the pack (if he's not, then Kirky is); and he's learnt that he has a huge thumping kick and can use it. He seems to have found his footy brains.

bandwagon
27th May 2008, 02:55 PM
Beats me how Jude cops so much flak (often deserved) while Ablett cops so little.

With Jude playing so well on Saturday, and generally better over the past few weeks, surely Ablett is now the senior player under most pressure to hold his spot. (I think Bird is also under pressure).

Spot on. I know J.Bolton has no upside any more, but Ablett is 25-26 so is unlikely to improve much.

Zlatorog
27th May 2008, 02:59 PM
Annie, I totally agree with you that Ablett has a booming kick, but I wonder how effective they are. I lot of times I have an impression that he doesn't look at all who is he kicking to. I wonder if our stats gurus can tell us how many time has Ablett set up a goal with his booming kicks. I would imagine that players like ROK are much better with their kicks than Ablett.

AnnieH
27th May 2008, 03:20 PM
Annie, I totally agree with you that Ablett has a booming kick, but I wonder how effective they are. I lot of times I have an impression that he doesn't look at all who is he kicking to. I wonder if our stats gurus can tell us how many time has Ablett set up a goal with his booming kicks. I would imagine that players like ROK are much better with their kicks than Ablett.

Absolutely.

His effective disposal rate in the past has been 0%.

I used my calculator to come up with a "possible" efficiency rate of 25% ... perhaps I was being far too generous.

He has improved on last year. Although he still can't be trusted not to kick it to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

TheHood
28th May 2008, 08:41 AM
Absolutely.

His effective disposal rate in the past has been 0%.

I used my calculator to come up with a "possible" efficiency rate of 25% ... perhaps I was being far too generous.

He has improved on last year. Although he still can't be trusted not to kick it to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Missed almost all of his set shots on goal for the past 2 years too. He was a better set shot in 2003.